Options

[Final Fantasy] is focused on Fighting Games and Freemium funfests

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    And Time of the Dreamwatch. And Star Stealing Girl...

The Chrono Cross soundtrack is suuuuuuper good.

It really is. Too bad the game itself is a nested series of mind-screws which, taken as a whole, constitute a giant "FUCK YOU" to anyone who actually enjoyed the original (and wanted it to have a happy, triumphant ending), and the protagonist spends pretty much all of it as the patsy of one entity or another.

... yeah, still bitter.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm really late on getting into the thread when the X/X-2 HD remaster was being played last year, but I just picked it up at like, half price from Walmart, so I've been preparing to do something of a 100% 'breaking' run of X. I did the same thing with FF8 a few years back or so where I did the minimum level run to endgame where you can then level to 100 with the attribute raising GFs on and get your party's stats to ridiculous levels and then just destroy the rest of the game. Pretty hilarious.

I never did the optional hard stuff in FFX back in the day, the Arena stuff anyway, I got most everything else, like the ultimate weapons and such. Not sure if I got all of Wakka's stuff or not, because I remember hating Blitzball. I don't remember being huge on FFX back in the day, but it has been like 13 years since I played it... and I remember liking the tactical nature of the turn-order combat system. So, we'll see how it holds up to the revisit, I suppose. I've heard some people complain about the remastered music, but honestly, I don't remember the original well enough that I'd be able to tell the difference I bet.

The visuals do look nice and clean with the high res models and everything, I just did a little beginning stuff last night before passing out. It's also tough with a lot of AGDQ watching this week, but I'll get around to it soon. I went with the Expert Sphere Grid, figure I may as well experience the International added stuff, since it's the first time NA has gotten a chance to see it. I definitely plan on maxing the sphere grid, which is something I definitely didn't do back on PS2. Not looking forward to lightning dodging... I definitely did do that on PS2, ugh. Anyway, it should be interesting.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    There's a section of the map where the lightning is predictable and you can just run back and forth over it, if you want to scam the lightning dodging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you use the right spot you just need 15 minutes and a little bit of concentration. Significantly easier than getting a 0sec time in Chocobo Catcher.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

It really is. Too bad the game itself is a nested series of mind-screws which, taken as a whole, constitute a giant "FUCK YOU" to anyone who actually enjoyed the original (and wanted it to have a happy, triumphant ending), and the protagonist spends pretty much all of it as the patsy of one entity or another.

... yeah, still bitter.

Happy, triumphant endings are boring and stupid. Giant fuck yous are the best; you don't screw with the time stream and think you'll get off unscathed. Chrono Cross was GREAT because of it.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I vaguely remember the lightning being predictable back in the day, so I might've used that spot before. And I definitely did the 0 second Chocobo race thing. I actually remember the butterfly bullshit in the forest annoying me a whole lot... so I presume since I still remember something about it to this day, it probably took me a while.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Play Radical Dreamers.

Serge is a spoony bard with actual personality.
    Magus saves his sister.
    Lynx gets his face punched in.
    The NG+ alternate stories are hilarious.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    None of the stuff in X is as hard as people initially remember. Well chocobo fuckery aside, but at least there are now youtube videos to help. But everything else? Lightning dodging is more tedious than hard with the guaranteed strike spot. The butterfly catching game is a pure trick. They don't actually move. Just find a map online and you'll ace it easy. And Blitzball can be super easy if you recruit a few players. It's just a mind numbingly large amount of games you have to play.

I was honestly surprised. I was expecting pain when I went for them. All I got was some general boredom.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Most of the FFX platinum trophy is tedious, not difficult. Even with a guide the chocobo stuff, both the bird/balloon deal and the temple racing were annoying to me and took longer than I'd have liked to nail, but everything else was way easier than I remembered. My first time doing lightning I did it without knowing about "the spot," so it was waaaaay easier on the PS3 version. Butterflies really aren't hard, you just have to learn the pattern.

All the optional boss stuff and what not isn't really hard either, you just can't make any mistakes on Penance and it's a bit of a slog fight. Takes a while. Just gotta stay focused really. The worst part of it all for me was just the dozens of hours of farming all the spheres, chocobo eater and all that. Just so tedious.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Now and forever, the worst part of X completionism will always be The Birds(tm)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Most of the FFX platinum trophy is tedious, not difficult.

This. I'm gonna replay it (or FF8!) after I knock off a few indies off my backlog but I will definitely not platinum either game. Between Monster Catching, Stat maxing, Shitty Celestial Weapon quests, Dark Aeons, Ultima Weapon (actually that was easy) and Penance, no thanks. I love the core game so I'm down with that.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    My current plan is to just max the Expert Sphere Grid, not do the whole Clear Spheres on the +1/+2/+3 nodes thing. We'll see how far I get on it... it seems like some of the newer skills from the International version might help since they can force attribute sphere drops from enemies?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

... yeah, still bitter.

Happy, triumphant endings are boring and stupid. Giant fuck yous are the best; you don't screw with the time stream and think you'll get off unscathed. Chrono Cross was GREAT because of it.

I cannot disagree more.

Depressing stories that have their characters punished for the crime of thinking they can change the world have their place (you can't always have the laughing comedy mask at every meal), but that place is not years later as a sequel to a story that had an entirely different opinion as to whether you can or should change the world.

If the Chrono series wanted to be a story about the evil of trying to change the future, the time for it to do that was Chrono Trigger. But it's pretty obvious to me that Trigger did not have that in mind, and was instead a story about never giving up. As it stands, the quality of Cross's story isn't the big issue; it's how irreconcilable its tone and themes are when compared to the game it's supposed to be a sequel to.

• Options
    There are a lot of things I like Chrono Cross for, I mean, it's a pretty neat game in its own right and it has an absolutely amazing soundtrack. However, it's a terrible sequel to Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    I loved it. I like Alien 3 for the exact same reasons. Happy endings are silly and just never happen.

The only real problem I had was the super slow load times into battles.

• Options
    I would submit that Cross isn't really a sequel to Trigger anyway, other than it being fan-ascended to the sequel some people thought they wanted. I agree that Cross is a poopy sequel to Trigger, but maybe it should never have been considered as one.

• Options
    I can't deny that the shift in tone is incredibly jarring. I really like that stuff but I can easily see why people don't.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I can't deny that the shift in tone is incredibly jarring. I really like that stuff but I can easily see why people don't.

I prefer Nier as far as ultra depressing games that are sequels and made by Square go. Mostly because you definitely can't say it's incongruously bleak compared to the first game.

• Options
    Nier is a fantastic game, with another amazing soundtrack.

As I understand it, Drakengard already has a super fucked up world, but I've never played the games myself.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The problem with Cross as a sequel to Trigger isn't that the Trigger crew got an unhappy ending; it's that everything in Trigger's plot indicates that what they did was both right and necessary. To punish them for that off-screen is terrible plotting.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I guess we have some cool kids smoking behind the school about how terrible unhappy endings should be standard? What's wrong with having a mix of both? The ending of FFX was incredibly bittersweet at the time, and FFVII had no real character follow up other than the world not ending and life going on.

Cynicism for the sake of cynicism is just as bad, unless you want FF to become 90s antihero's.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I guess we have some cool kids smoking behind the school about how terrible unhappy endings should be standard?.

Wow, way to dumb down a position. I said I like tragic endings, not that they need to be standard for everyone.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Man, favorite FF music. I can't even make a short-ish list since I enjoy so much of it.

Battle
    FFVIII - Man with the Machine Gun
    http://youtu.be/3jho-peCAKs

FFXIII - Blinded by Light
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th2jeYakyAY

Lost Odyssey - Fire Above the Battle (oh shut up it's a FF game)
    http://youtu.be/DMpov_WHtWg

Boss fight
    FF6 - The Decisive Battle (this is the Duodecim version)
    Listen to the FFVI Suite by Descendants of Erdrick on their Advent album. Hoo boy.
    http://youtu.be/QfeY46RdTOI

FFXII - Esper Battle
    http://youtu.be/rVYHhcYWttY

FFVII - J-E-N-O-V-A
    http://youtu.be/J6GrZYE2il0

Final boss fight
    FF Type-0 - The Fires of Suzaku
    I hesitate to list this since chances are you haven't played it yet, but if you've played Curtain Call, you've already heard it.
    http://youtu.be/rGg1qRe_mng

Others:
    FF Symphonic Suite - Scene VII
    FFXII - Stilshrine of Miriam, Barheim Passage
    Lost Odyssey - Neverending Journey
    FFIX - A Place to Call Home
    FFXIV - To the Sun

• Options
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - all tracks

• Options
    My list was MUCH bigger at first, but you've all heard these before, right?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    chrono cross would have been way better if they'd buckled down and really developed a cast of (probably under a dozen) characters instead of the "plug an accent onto the same line for a cast of 40," approach they decided to try

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I liked Cross better than Trigger but it's been so long it would be hard for me to really explain why I think.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    chrono cross would have been way better if they'd buckled down and really developed a cast of (probably under a dozen) characters instead of the "plug an accent onto the same line for a cast of 40," approach they decided to try

Actually I find even more fascinating the whole algorithm they got in game to produce "unique" dialog for each cast member.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I just tell myself that everything that happens in Chrono Cross is just a very elaborate splinter timeline from Trigger. Or something. Makes it go down a little easier.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I just tell myself that everything that happens in Chrono Cross is just a very elaborate splinter timeline from Trigger. Or something. Makes it go down a little easier.

I like to think it's specifically the future of the SNES title, but doesn't happen (or at least happens quite differently) in the DS remake's timeline.

Mostly because of Dalton being a total idiot in the DS gane's bonus dungeon and effectively giving his enemies the how and where of his revenge plot.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I like to think it's specifically the future of the SNES title, but doesn't happen (or at least happens quite differently) in the DS remake's timeline.

Mostly because of Dalton being a total idiot in the DS gane's bonus dungeon and effectively giving his enemies the how and where of his revenge plot.

I just pretend that neither Chrono Cross nor the DS bonus dungeon exist.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

I just pretend that neither Chrono Cross nor the DS bonus dungeon exist.

Dungeons.

Fetch Quest Mountain is stupid, but the three Vortex dungeons are kinda cool. One of them uses the Singing Mountain theme, and they all have some cool boss fights.

Edit.

I admit I was the first in this exchange to mistakenly refer to only one dungeon. My bad.

Enlong on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

That would have also let them fill in more double and triple techs. I know it wasn't the biggest problem with the game, but I really missed them from Chrono Trigger.
    Kind of hard to express why, but the double/triple techs made CT feel like they were actually a team working together rather than three random people who happened to be fighting in the same direction.
    When Magus shows up, and he's got no team techs, can't learn any. You have to go out and find special rocks to convince him to play well with others.

• Options
    Chrono Cross is pretty fuckin' great you guys.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    As many have said before, Chrono Cross is a good game by itself, but an awful sequel to Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Even taken on its own merits I dislike Chrono Cross.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Chrono Cross is pretty fuckin' great you guys.
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    As many have said before, Chrono Cross is a good game by itself, but an awful sequel to Chrono Trigger.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Even taken on its own merits I dislike Chrono Cross.

OPINIONS!

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm missing the gene that causes people to treat Chrono Trigger with the reverence it usually receives. It's a good RPG, but it's nowhere close to my favorite RPG on the SNES, and it's damn sure not my favorite 16-bit RPG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm missing the gene that causes people to treat Chrono Trigger with the reverence it usually receives. It's a good RPG, but it's nowhere close to my favorite RPG on the SNES, and it's damn sure not my favorite 16-bit RPG.

You're not the only one.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Now that I've given the game years to settle and I've enjoyed games that constantly kick you in the gut with "HAHA EVERYTHING'S FUCKED" (Drakengard, NieR), I wanted to like Cross because of the tone.

But I can't. I can't. It's just too stupid.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
This discussion has been closed.