As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Apachii hair is godawful. I'll never understand why so many people seem to like it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Apachii hair is godawful. I'll never understand why so many people seem to like it.

Yeah, it's really too bad. The guy went through a metric buttton of male npcs in Skyrim and fixed up their faces to be handsome.

And then slapped cringe-worthy apachii hair on top to completely ruin the effect.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Apachii hair seems fitting for a drowtales inspired mod, or a squad of Eldar Banshees screaming at you.

• Options
    Apachii hair seems fitting for a drowtales inspired mod, or a squad of Eldar Banshees screaming at you.
    There's nothing about any of the male apachii hairs that even begins to approach lore-friendly or even slightly appropriate for the actual artistic style of the game.

It only works if you've used some sort of comprehensive anime-mod that changes everyone into a cartoon.

The female ones really aren't better. There's nothing about the Elder Scrolls setting that suggests comprehensive hair-products exist. Where are they getting the mousse?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    There's nothing about any of the male apachii hairs that even begins to approach lore-friendly or even slightly appropriate for the actual artistic style of the game.

It only works if you've used some sort of comprehensive anime-mod that changes everyone into a cartoon.

The female ones really aren't better. There's nothing about the Elder Scrolls setting that suggests comprehensive hair-products exist. Where are they getting the mousse?
    Wizards, probably.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    because anime.

• Options
    I loath going into the fallout 4 threads as I cannot run it yet but has Bethesda's gamebryo ai tech evolved to the point where enemy AI can use reasonable tactics?

I've also done a light search and I'm disappointed to learn that the gamebryo 40K mods all focus on the Space Marines and there are non for the other races.

No space elves in a game involving elves.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I loath going into the fallout 4 threads as I cannot run it yet but has Bethesda's gamebryo ai tech evolved to the point where enemy AI can use reasonable tactics?

I've also done a light search and I'm disappointed to learn that the gamebryo 40K mods all focus on the Space Marines and there are non for the other races.

if by reasonable tactics you mean, if it has a grenade in its inventory then it'll constantly rain down a hail of infininades upon your head, then sure.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Wouldn't you if you had infinite grenades? I'd be tossing them around while going for a walk.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

ahaha. You think the tech actually progressed.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The enemy tactics in Fallout 4 are quasi decent, I guess?

If you get the drop on enemies with stealth tactics it's still hugely overpowering unless it's one of the mob types that have stupid high perception, in which case it's a fail. It's also an arms race. When you're outgunned by enemies you're in real trouble. As the game progresses and you get better weapons you tend to explode everything easily.

But in a vanilla game there are plenty of times where you encounter enemies that you simply have to avoid unless you either want to die or burn through all your explosives in one go.

• Options
    The enemy tactics in Fallout 4 are quasi decent, I guess?

If you get the drop on enemies with stealth tactics it's still hugely overpowering unless it's one of the mob types that have stupid high perception, in which case it's a fail. It's also an arms race. When you're outgunned by enemies you're in real trouble. As the game progresses and you get better weapons you tend to explode everything easily.

But in a vanilla game there are plenty of times where you encounter enemies that you simply have to avoid unless you either want to die or burn through all your explosives in one go.

that's more due to bullet spongedness than actual tactics or AI brilliants, though.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    The abysmal character customization mods are one of the reasons I'll always feel confused and perplexed by the Bethesda modding community.

Apparently there is a vast, untapped market for games where you play as a dead-eyed Vogue model with a blowout, and gameplay consists mostly of smoking cigarettes or standing around wearing lingerie.

• Options
    Is it too much to want the bullet sponge and shield people to hang out in front while the arrow and magic people pelt me from afar?

• Options
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75296/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/ajax/moddescription/?id=75296&preview=&pUp=1

Amazing. I can't believe it took this many years but here it is. Such a simple mod. Items below a base value threshhold (default 500 but adjustable by you) have their stolen flag automatically removed right after you steal them if you were successfully hidden and no one saw you.

Finally, the psychic guards of Skyrim can no longer magically divine which of your tomatoes were stolen.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ughhhh

I have been doing the Vampire side of Dawnguard, since I did the DG side my first playthrough and wanted to see the other side, and holy jesus fuck is Serana annoying. Every other piece of dialogue she has seems to be her complaining about something. She complains about being in caves, because she doesn't like being in caves. She complains about being outside, because either she hates the sun, or the rain, or the snow, or nighttime, or basically everything. I can understand SOME reasons for her to complain, complaining about her dad & the whole "mom & dad were daedric cultists who had me brutally raped by the literal god of rape, whee" are 100% legit things to be salty about, but then she complains about literally everything else. She bitches about having to go through the Shrines of Auri-El, and the quest, and the cave system, and literally about 5 seconds after going "ooh wow pretty" at the Forgotten Vale she then goes "this sucks and i hate it" and I'm like

SHUT THE FUCK UP

Worse thing: I took Qa'Dojo from Interesting NPCs along, and TWICE, something bugged and he and Serana flipped out and tried to kill each other. Of course, Serana is marked Essential, and... tbh I THOUGH Qa'Dojo was as well because lord knows he's survived dragons and other bullshit just fine, but she straight up killed him twice. After that I dropped him off at a nearby Orc village but now Serana is on my shit list.

THEN

I found out that something ELSE is randomly bugged, and if I try to kill Serana just to make myself feel better even though I know she can't die, instead of just going into the crouched position & exiting combat at low HP, the game crashes :|

Basically fuck Serana I hate her guts now and if I were on the DG side I would have been like JUST FUCKING EXECUTE HER WHINY ASS I'M FUCKING TIRED OF HER BITCHING

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I uh thought she was fine?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Except when she got stuck mining stone in front of one of my houses and I had to go back several hours.

• Options
    Maybe it's my game, I don't know, but she's constantly using the complain-y dialogue. That plus glitching out and randomly deciding that my other followers MUST BE KILLED is weird and really rude.

• Options
    Maybe it's my game, I don't know, but she's constantly using the complain-y dialogue. That plus glitching out and randomly deciding that my other followers MUST BE KILLED is weird and really rude.

is the other guy using ranged?

Probably hitting her by accident.

• Options
    I had a command mod after too many friendly fire incidents that let me shout "STOP FIGHTING" whenever shit went down.

• Options
    The game is absolutely not set up for multiple followers so... I dunno, it's fun to play with mods but sometimes they go awry and that's kind of to be expected.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

is the other guy using ranged?

Probably hitting her by accident.

I think that's it, yeah. Similarly, I got attacked by myself by some Dawnguard, and one of the town guards hit one of the caravan guards added by a mod, and then everyone was trying to murder each other. Turns out caravan guards are rather tough so I had to kill her myself after she mowed down like, 3 other people...

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yeah I think followers have some hidden stat which defines how many times they'll put up with 'friendly fire' before they go apeshit. Or maybe they just don't tolerate it at all from other NPCs, thus having multiple followers is a bad idea if your follower mod doesn't include some ability to force them to chill. I don't generally use followers myself (much less a follower mod), but I remember watching an LP someone was doing and they had multiple followers tagging along. One of them was an ice mage, and every once in awhile the others would get tired of her hitting them with AoE spells and open a can of whoopass.

RE: Serana, I didn't really care for her either, especially the fact that I couldn't leave her behind at certain stages of the Dawnguard quest line. I mean, it makes sense I guess that she's supposed to be along for story purposes, but it meant that if I wanted to go do something else for awhile, she was stuck to me whether I liked it or not. Maybe this is a bigger problem for me than most since, as I mentioned, I generally prefer not to have a follower at all.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, I don't use a mod that lets me have multiple followers, it's just that if you already HAVE a follower, and you do any of the DG quests, suddenly Serana is with you. I did a lone wolf playthrough my first game and was just like, "Ehh, I'll give followers a shot this time," but since both Qa'Dojo and Serana are mages, they CONSTANTLY hit each other with friendly fire and I guess eventually one or the other would go OH FUCK YOU but sadly Serana is tagged Essential. :\

*e* As a side note, Interesting NPCs is actually less a follower mod and more an Interesting Quests, with Some Followers Who Are Way More Interesting than Main Quest Followers. The followers from INPCs are actually fun to talk to and cool people. Qa'Dojo, for instance, is a monk who worships both Aedra AND Daedra, considering them two halves of a larger truth, and has a lot of interesting philosophical ramblings.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't use a mod that lets me have multiple followers, it's just that if you already HAVE a follower, and you do any of the DG quests, suddenly Serana is with you. I did a lone wolf playthrough my first game and was just like, "Ehh, I'll give followers a shot this time," but since both Qa'Dojo and Serana are mages, they CONSTANTLY hit each other with friendly fire and I guess eventually one or the other would go OH FUCK YOU but sadly Serana is tagged Essential. :\

*e* As a side note, Interesting NPCs is actually less a follower mod and more an Interesting Quests, with Some Followers Who Are Way More Interesting than Main Quest Followers. The followers from INPCs are actually fun to talk to and cool people. Qa'Dojo, for instance, is a monk who worships both Aedra AND Daedra, considering them two halves of a larger truth, and has a lot of interesting philosophical ramblings.

Serana is supposed to not join you when you have a follower, she has a line about how she doesn't know or trust your companion so hit her up sometime when you're not busy with someone else.

However, there are certain points in the questline where this gets overridden for whatever reason and you can get her and another follower at the same time. This is, as you may have guessed, a very popular exploit especially for console players who don't have access to multiple follower mods. But it's definitely an unintended feature as multiple followers do cause problems.

• Options
    Ok so, Interesting NPCs seriously truly completely gets my vote for "if you are looking for more content / quests different from the main line, get this thing." Even if you're like "fuck I never use followers," there's SO MANY cool quests added by this, many of which are better written than the main storyline. Also, you get NPCs that have (mostly) good voice acting. Some of the quests have been a little ??? but I've done so many that just add so much to the world and the lore.

Question: Glittering Prizes from SPERG lets you modify Artifacts to be more useful -- for instance, you can turn the Savior's Hide into an amulet, so if you're a heavy armor user you can still benefit from the enchantment. Or, you can turn the Ebony Mail into light armor, which is SUPER USEFUL because the enchantments on it are ideal for a light armor using sneaky character. Are there any mods out there which change the skins of these modifications? I wanted to turn Dawnbreaker into a Greatsword, but the skin it uses is just the default Daedric Greatsword skin, which is ugly, doesn't fit a weapon like Dawnbreaker, and... I mean gosh, Dawnbreaker has one of the prettiest weapon skins in the game, being both a practical longsword AND having a neat glowing enchantment effect thingy.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't know of any mods that let you re-skin armor and weapons to your liking, but if you improve the look of Daedric swords in general, that would basically solve your problem. Just do a search for 'Daedric Sword' on Nexus and you'll find a few mods where people have re-skinned them.

Interesting NPCs is basically the greatest quest mod ever made for Skyrim, but man some of the quests are so buried that I can't imagine very many people (among those who have the mod at all) ever see them. I've actually gone to their website and browsed through the quests, and man... even with guidance, just all the steps I have to go through to get to the quests prevent me from seeing them, mostly because I tend to abandon play-throughs before too long. They are all pretty great though; one of my personal favorites is Paper Mirror, where the player finds a book that leads them into a very strange mystery indeed.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    I don't know of any mods that let you re-skin armor and weapons to your liking, but if you improve the look of Daedric swords in general, that would basically solve your problem. Just do a search for 'Daedric Sword' on Nexus and you'll find a few mods where people have re-skinned them.

Interesting NPCs is basically the greatest quest mod ever made for Skyrim, but man some of the quests are so buried that I can't imagine very many people (among those who have the mod at all) ever see them. I've actually gone to their website and browsed through the quests, and man... even with guidance, just all the steps I have to go through to get to the quests prevent me from seeing them, mostly because I tend to abandon play-throughs before too long. They are all pretty great though; one of my personal favorites is Paper Mirror, where the player finds a book that leads them into a very strange mystery indeed.

Ah, Swamp Knight.

• Options

Yeah, I agree. On the one hand, I kind of like that because I think it actually does lead to each playthrough being truly different, but on the other, how tha fuck are you supposed to get Blood of Kings and the other one to even ACTIVATE given all the ridiculous requirements for those two? I'm actually now using the wiki so I can at least GET the quests (mostly avoiding spoilers). For BoK specifically, turned out one of the NPCs required for that was one that had bugged out earlier in the game and gone hostile (I think it was due to a bugged interaction between this mod and the Helgen Reborn mod) and had since then... uh, mostly vanished. I managed to console her back, but we'll see what happens... still, just shows that many of these quests straight up won't work with a single missing piece.

My favorite ones though are indeed the ones which I found by accident. One I'm on right now...
    I was wandering around a mountainside on a side quest for the Volikhar Vampires and I ran into this random Khajiit. Start talking to her, she turns out to be at total asshole, but I politely try to tease out what her deal is... turns out she's a serial killer (uhh) who knows something called the Way of the Nine... except she's never mastered Arkay's technique because she got pissed off and killed her mentor before she could learn it, since her mentor was a religious man who spoke in riddles and she was tired of that. She reasoned that she could just deduce his technique by fighting him, then kill him once she got what she wanted. She tried this the first time, and... found that she couldn't replicate what he did. So her plan was to travel the world, perfect her other techniques through a whole lot of murder, then raise him from the dead to give it a second go: learn his technique by observation, then banish his spirit.

the spirit contacts you and is like "Yeah so my student is a fucking idiot and needs to be stopped. I'm like "yeah but I use 2h weapons, i don't get the dual wield thing" and he's like "that's fine, the point is that I'm going to send you on a quest to find eight people who embody the spirit of the Divines, and me as the 9th, so you can earn the blessings of the gods to protect you from her bullshit, and then you can murder her" and I'm like okay fine just tell me where to go and who I'm looking for and he's like "i'll use my ghoooost powers so you knowwww" and yeah okay

But then it turns out the eight people you find are really not at ALL what you expect. Mara's Chosen is actually an assassin who contracts to abused women and children to kill their abusers; Talos' chosen is an Argonian full of rage at being betrayed by a friend; Dibella's Chosen is (probably?) a virgin obsessed with the beauty of nature. They've all been delightfully unexpected so far, and I've had a really good time finding them all. My only disappointment so far is that there doesn't seem to be a quest related to the Argonian where you can stab the guy who betrayed him to death.

All this because I randomly talked to a cat on a mountain. Super neat.

That said, another example of quests bugging out because of a single missing piece...
    The Dibella's Chosen for the Way of the Nine quest hangs out in Eldergleam Sanctuary. If you do The Blessings of Nature by just retrieving the sap, she's probably murdered by the Spriggans which show up, and that probably means you can't complete this quest... so you MUST do it by talking to Maurice. On my first playthrough, Maurice had bugged out and I never saw his conversation, so I didn't even know that having him along to just pray to the tree was an option. So.. yeah.

But again... in the end I think I do enjoy how Interesting NPCs ends up being like a bunch of surprise packages where you never know what you'll get. It really is an amazing mod.

• Options
    I was excited at having the summoner companion INPC added, but she got killed by dragon attacks next to my lakeside house.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Just finished the main story of ESO.

Pretty good actually. I think I liked the finale better here than Skyrim's which admittedly is not that hard to beat though.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Pretty good actually. I think I liked the finale better here than Skyrim's which admittedly is not that hard to beat though.

The finale of ESO is actually pretty darn cool, imho.

• Options

a no wipe shit is more impressive than Skyrims finale

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

The finale of ESO is actually pretty darn cool, imho.
    Aedra blessed One Punch Man saving the day.

(RIP Varen)

The Vestige probably got the most badass hero moment in the series.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Doing a new run of Skyrim after a long break. Vanilla, with just a mod to add roads on the map because that bugged me a lot.

Running a role play game as an Argonian princess/royalty who decided to slum it in Skyrim because she was bored. She with maxed Speechcraft, Archery, and Alchemy since that seemed like skills a princess would have.

• Options
    Wow, I didn't think anyone played Skyrim 'vanilla' anymore.

I also just started (yet another) play-through of Skyrim. Began as a member of the Penitus Oculatus, which means very little other than some cool armor once I leave their HQ in Dragon Bridge, but I decided to role-play it a bit and wandered over to Solitude. There I met an Orc from Interesting NPCs that I had never encountered before... He wanted to play a game, killing people to spell out 'Ulfric'. I decided to go with it.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Surprised this wasn't posted here earlier.

The canceled Oblivion game for PSP has surfaced, and footage and screens are making the rounds. It looks shockingly good for PSP, might've even been a defining game for the system. Runs on a real PSP Go at 30-60 FPS.

Bethesda found the videos on Youtube and took them down, but you can watch a mirror here for now.

uw4pRsm.png
    JRwk2mB.png
    9BZJZsP.png
    av7RXPO.png

Gif 1
    Gif 2
    Gif 3

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Bleh.

So the unofficial patch mod makes it so you can't borrow a horse from a befriended horse-seller.

I am so ready to uninstall this shitfest.

• Options
    "Borrow"

This discussion has been closed.