As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Also there is no bonus or whatever for not being seen and I typically just slaughter everyone there because why not.
    The way I've always done this quest is to slaughter every Thalmor in the keep before rescuing the guy.

You may start to notice a trend in how Regina Fong plays. ;)

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Also there is no bonus or whatever for not being seen and I typically just slaughter everyone there because why not.
    The way I've always done this quest is to slaughter every Thalmor in the keep before rescuing the guy.

You may start to notice a trend in how Regina Fong plays. ;)

Its normally the way I play.

Heavy armor and a big two handed weapon and just go to town on flesh piñatas.

Trying something different this time. Light armor, archery and sneaky thievery.

• Options
    To be fair, it's how I normally play also. I just thought it was funny that this is his suggestion to every dilemma.

Not hating or anything.

• Options
    After spending an hour stabbing Greybeards in the back, I have now gotten 100 stealth.

and I noticed an option to legendary the skill, supposedly refunding the points to go with it.

I probably shouldn't bother with that, right?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Reading all the crazy things Regina Fong does in Skyrim is one of the best parts of this thread.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    After spending an hour stabbing Greybeards in the back, I have now gotten 100 stealth.

and I noticed an option to legendary the skill, supposedly refunding the points to go with it.

Depends on how much you like having ALL the perks. If you're willing to grind skills back up to 100 over and over, you can level up enough to have everything.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Depends on how much you like having ALL the perks. If you're willing to grind skills back up to 100 over and over, you can level up enough to have everything.

Hm.. So probably do it, just not right now.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Hm.. So probably do it, just not right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136800262

Stop torturing yourself, man! You'll never afford it! Live in the now!

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Illusion is definitely a good one to reset, as it's easy to level. Sneak is actually not that bad to level, but it's so useful that I would be hesitant to reset it. Never reset a combat or armor skill unless you plan to stop using it (for example, you could reset two-handed if you're done playing with two handed weapons and are only going to use one-handed from then on). Especially never reset Destruction as it is ultra tedious to level.

• Options
    If you want to just sit there and grind, conjuration's also pretty easy. Just use soul trap on a corpse over and over. If you want to keep doing stuff, illusion's definitely the way to go. Cast muffle whenever you're able while traveling from place to place.

• Options
    And the weird bugginess continues to abound as if some divine sign to stop playing.

Have a bounty of 1000 in solitude, never did anything to earn it. Learned this when I fast traveled and was surrounded by many guards. Reloaded

Travel elsewhere, kill some Thalmor, last witness of my crime has died, bounty removed. Uh..okay? Well, that's interest- wait what, now my bounty is 3000?!

No way to pay it, so either keep murdering guards or go to jail. I choose jail.

Come out of jail, STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM. Apparently I have another 1000 bounty.

Reload the save with a few choice vulgarities and this time I have no bounty and can leave.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Reading all the crazy sane things Regina Fong does in Skyrim is one of the best parts of this thread.

ftfy

thalmor murder is the most logical thing you can do in the elder scrolls universe

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Reading all the crazy sane things Regina Fong does in Skyrim is one of the best parts of this thread.

ftfy

thalmor murder is the most logical thing you can do in the elder scrolls universe

Its like driving an electric car

do your part, make the world a better place and kill all the Thalmor you meet

• Options
    Sure, but there's also stuff like using the console to send NPCs flying across the world.

• Options
    I mistakenly had wind sprint equipped instead of unrelenting force.

and I was too stupid to change it.

so every time I hit Z I about gave myself a heart attack.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sure, but there's also stuff like using the console to send NPCs flying across the world.

Using long term float magic high over lava pools and use the console to teleport sixth house grunts to my position.

#justmorrowindthings

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

It's true I do some weird stuff. Murdering Thalmor is really the least of it.

I was so sad to learn the pushactoraway command doesn't work in Fallout 4.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Went into my stats and discovered I've pickpocketed almost 1300 items.

Most all of it is in mine or Sofia's inventory because I've yet to buy a house.

Thankfully the pickpocket tree gives +100lbs carry weight.

Buttcleft on
  • Options

Wait what? Pushactoraway totally works in Fallout 4, I used it just yesterday. It's super-effective for getting rid of pesky settlers when they are STANDING RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO BUILD GODDAMNIT.

I've done this exact same thing.

Me: Haha, FUS RO DAH off the cliff motherfucker!
    <press Z>
    Me: Wait wha- nooooo.....
    <sprints forward right off the cliff>

• Options

Wait what? Pushactoraway totally works in Fallout 4, I used it just yesterday. It's super-effective for getting rid of pesky settlers when they are STANDING RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO BUILD GODDAMNIT.

I've done this exact same thing.

Me: Haha, FUS RO DAH off the cliff motherfucker!
    <press Z>
    Me: Wait wha- nooooo.....
    <sprints forward right off the cliff>

For me its the sudden loud noise of wind sprint coupled with the screen almost going white when I'm especting a simple FUS RO

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've learned the hard way that you cannot dragon shout while falling through the air.

My awesome etheral shout proved worthless on the way down.

I've been going to really high places, casting the shout, and hitting the ground.

• Options
    I always found it annoying that you can't do anything in midair.

• Options
    I cant figure out why my sneak attack critical bow shots, supposedly doing 3x damage, do less than 10% of the targets health.

Even backstab melee attacks don't seem to do shit. Is it cause I accidentally had the game on legendary at one point?

• Options
  • Options
    It sounds like you're not using SPERG is what it sounds like.

What is this SPERG and why does it sound like something you do on a friends back in a humiliating accident while riding passenger on a motorcycle.

• Options

What is this SPERG and why does it sound like something you do on a friends back in a humiliating accident while riding passenger on a motorcycle.

It's a perk overhaul. The revamped stealth tree makes one-handed (and especially dagger) sneak attacks really brutal.

• Options

It's a perk overhaul. The revamped stealth tree makes one-handed (and especially dagger) sneak attacks really brutal.

Can I drop it into an existing game without fucking over my already earned perks/points spent/etc?

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Can I drop it into an existing game without fucking over my already earned perks/points spent/etc?

yes

I installed it in a game where I was level 50

it was fine

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So, my old enemy has reared its head: something has changed in my installation of Skyrim that my framerate completely goes to hell if I look at any distances in any cities--so basically, staring from the entrance of Whiterun to the marketplace. It's accompanied by rapid dimming in my screen.

Outdoors, I get consistently 50 to 60 FPS. In cities, I have to stare at the pavement or at the corner of a building or I get 2 FPS, or less.

Sadly, turning Distant Objects off Ultra no longer does it. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? I undid any mods I had installed, no change.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Turned all my settings to max, enjoyed skeleton chasing a fox in the distance.

What's your distant object detail setting?

This game is still cryptic when it comes to settings, four years later. With Skyrim HD 2K installed, I get a robust 50 to 60 FPS outdoors while moving (or even spinning my camera around). But I raise that to 'Ultra', and it becomes a freaking slid-show (with no real benefit). And this is with a fairly robust i5 and a GTX 970.

I've got an I5 with a 970 and my frame rate is great. Stays above 50, all settings Ultra (no AA, thats an fps killer and the ENB does it anyway).

I've got the 2K textures plus an ENB running on top of that.

Have you turned on universal adaptive Vsync? Do you have a 60hz monitor? Skyrim stutters bad when the framerate gets above 60, and a lot of the game doesn't work correctly.

I don't think that's it--I have a pretty run of the mill 60 hz monitor, and I've tried it with Vsync off and on.

The thing is, if I am my camera at the ground beneath my character (in other words, there are no distant objects in my field of vision), there is no stuttering or FPS decline. I think that largely rules out a constant stuttering issue and puts it into a realm actual object rendering. Of course, I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain what I have is not a case of my framerate being so high it shoots back down again.

Of course, NOT setting it to Ultra fixes the problem completely, regardless of where my camera is aimed. It might be something in my SkyrimPref.ini configuration. At this point, it's purely an academic interest (since Skyrim's variant of the Gamebryo engine means that, without heavy modification, objects in the distance kind of look like ass no matter what level of detail you use).

Not sure if it's the same problem that me and @jungleroomx were discussing. It does seem like reducing both my Object and Actor Fade to zero, that fixes the issue, but that's pretty much unplayable (especially after I used to be able to run both at full just last week). Something to do with having too many NPCs in the area all of a sudden?

EDIT: As a test, I tried putting my character inside Breezehome with two other NPCs (neither on screen). Framerate went to hell, same weird screen dimming. Well, that shoots down the "too many NPCs" theory. I'm starting to wonder if it's Nvidia's new drivers that I updated today.

EDIT EDIT: Or maybe not. I did some tests in Whiterun, and my performance went to crap when I waited from 5 to 10 AM, and a bunch NPCs spawned and caused the screen dimming/framerate collapse. Something's changed that means my PC can't handle many NPCs anymore.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Huh, so somehow, the texture setting 'High' destroys my framerate even though I used to be able to run it fine--medium makes the framerate playable but the game does look substantially worse. Now I need to figure out why I can't run it on high anymore.

EDIT EDIT EDIT SOLVE: Figured it out--even with ENB disabled, ENB still determines how your (ridiculously huge) textures are handled. In my case, my ENB setting file defaulted to allocating zero RAM (you're supposed to put your RAM + VRAM - 2 GB--in my case, 26 GB, in the value). Plopped it in, problem vanished. Wish I knew that last night before I put 6 hours of labor into fixing it, bah. Learn from my mistake.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Glad you got it figured out and documented for anyone else that might have the issue @Synthesis

On my front, I've managed to mostly build and fill with décor Lakeview manor, Which allowed me to finally dump inventory into a chest. Turns out Sofia was hauling around 1600lbs of stolen goods. Speaking of stolen goods, its really irritating not being able to tell whats stolen in a container, cause the stolen indicator only appears when I take it out and put it in my inventory.

Also I think I'm going to abandon using a companion, every time I try to stealth and assassinate people at range with a bow, as soon as I fire the first shot they break stealth and go charging in with fireballs and screaming.

Also also, does Sperg not give a skill point every level? Cause I've noticed a few levels where I got no points..and I have autoskilling off.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SPERG is designed for a perk point every two levels because you get some perks for free. That only applies if you installed the uncapper, though, since that's what actually changes that sort of thing.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    You should definitely use the uncapper though. You can also tune the uncapper settings however you like, you're not limited to the SPERG default settings. I wound up totally butchering the SPERG settings and veering off into my own settings that bore no resemblance to them.

• Options
    Spent a half hour hunting deer and elk (which are rather hard to hunt cause they run, fast, as soon as they see you), managed to chase down 10 deer and 7 elk and had to kill them with magic because weapons were slow and prone to missing

Then a shot a magic spell at a rabbit and the game crashed.

no autosaves, forgot to quicksave (because I got so stupid lucky running into the damn animals almost one after another, the time invested was chasing them down to get in range of magic), lost all progress, back in the town I was in before I set off on the task. I think I invented many new and inventive combinations of vulgarities, judging from the "oh shit" I heard outside the window.

• Options
    The easiest way to hunt deer is with a decent bow from horseback. Provided you get decent at horse combat (takes a little practice).

• Options
    The easiest way to hunt deer is with a decent bow from horseback. Provided you get decent at horse combat (takes a little practice).

I just chase them down with sprint and give them a double handed flame enema

Cause I cant hit shit from horseback.

• Options
    Assuming you have a mod that makes horses worth using (of which, there are several).

Whenever I needed animal parts for Hearthfire houses (assuming that's why you're doing it), I just did other stuff for a bit and killed them whenever I encountered them.

• Options
    Assuming you have a mod that makes horses worth using (of which, there are several).

Whenever I needed animal parts for Hearthfire houses (assuming that's why you're doing it), I just did other stuff for a bit and killed them whenever I encountered them.

Not really.

Just got tired of them running for 150 miles once they spotted me so settled on some genocide to make me feel better.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

"Oh Hearthstones popular, here have this"

• Options
    I couldn't be less interested.

No wait. They could've made a visual novel.

This discussion has been closed.