Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    So, I'm running an LG G3 and probably won't be upgrading for at least another year or more but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an extended battery for it? I'm not running many apps aside from pokemon go so it lasts a couple of hours but I wouldn't mind trying to find a way to extend it a bit without breaking the bank.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm going slightly crazy.

I bought a ZTE Sonata 3 with a compatible micro SD card and installed it, the phone seems to acknowledge it as portable storage and I have it set as the save location but I can't find any way of downloading apps to it through google searches without rooting.

There seems to be no default way of moving them over to it either. I see a lot of people saying something about a "move to SD" button while looking through the apps section of settings but haven't found anything like that so far.

I got to be overlooking something becuase this seems like it should be super easy to do.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I feel like I'm going slightly crazy.

I bought a ZTE Sonata 3 with a compatible micro SD card and installed it, the phone seems to acknowledge it as portable storage and I have it set as the save location but I can't find any way of downloading apps to it through google searches without rooting.

There seems to be no default way of moving them over to it either. I see a lot of people saying something about a "move to SD" button while looking through the apps section of settings but haven't found anything like that so far.

I got to be overlooking something becuase this seems like it should be super easy to do.

not every phone impliments this, and in fact in stock Android 5.0 you can't at all. Some OEM's modified Android 5 to be able to do that, but not all did.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    And for the record: Android 7.0 rollout for the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 will begin "in a few weeks"

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/14/google-says-nexus-6-nexus-9-lte-nougat-updates-will-rolling-coming-weeks/

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So close

So very close

I got a notification for a system update last night but alas it was not sweet sweet nougat.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    And for the record: Android 7.0 rollout for the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 will begin "in a few weeks"

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/14/google-says-nexus-6-nexus-9-lte-nougat-updates-will-rolling-coming-weeks/

... I must have got nougat beta on my 9 then, because woooooow its bad. Slower than my Fire 6 for f sake

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    This is actually kind of fascinating.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/15/12927626/remix-os-windows-emulator-virtual-machine

basically a self contained android VM running in windows with Google Play Store access. Bluestacks has done this for years but without native play store access (though it was possible to add).

I'll have to try this tonight to see how well it works. Bluestacks was....adequate once the play store was installed but it wasn't the best experience. It may also help that I've upgraded from a 2008 era core i7 to an early 2015 era Core i7 since I tried this last.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    not every phone impliments this, and in fact in stock Android 5.0 you can't at all. Some OEM's modified Android 5 to be able to do that, but not all did.
    Well, that seems kind of annoying.

I kind of want to root my phone now just to spite Android.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/15/12927626/remix-os-windows-emulator-virtual-machine

basically a self contained android VM running in windows with Google Play Store access. Bluestacks has done this for years but without native play store access (though it was possible to add).

I'll have to try this tonight to see how well it works. Bluestacks was....adequate once the play store was installed but it wasn't the best experience. It may also help that I've upgraded from a 2008 era core i7 to an early 2015 era Core i7 since I tried this last.
    Sounds interesting. Will give it a shot.

Looked into a lot of emulators before I got my phone, a lot of them either seemed shady or were just annoying.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Well, that seems kind of annoying.

I kind of want to root my phone now just to spite Android.

Sounds interesting. Will give it a shot.

Looked into a lot of emulators before I got my phone, a lot of them either seemed shady or were just annoying.

specific to the phone apps thing. The reason Google tried to shy away from it is because there are literally millions of phones out there where the user stuck a piece of crap $4 super slow class 2 micro SD card in it, moved all their apps to it, and then wonder why their phone performs so slowly and the microSD card dies and breaks things and of course it's always google's fault and not the $4 micro SD card.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Has anyone got an opinion on what way to go with replacing my HTC m8 that's on the fritz?

I need about 45gb of storage, so a 64gb would be prime. I love my front facing speakers, and the size of the phone is good but a bit larger would be ok too (my hands are pretty big so no problem with holding one). I am not considering iOS phones, at all. USB-C would be nice also, I'd rather get in on the new standard.

I was going to just grab the Nexus 6P but it looks like it's being phased out for the unknown that is coming soon.
    The LG G5 doesn't have the front facing speakers and I would likely miss that sorely as I much prefer the sound from mine ever since going to the HTC.
    Replaceable battery would be a plus or just serviceability in general (the M8 is basically not-repairable with the way it's assembled and glued together)

I'm a bit nervous about the switch to HTC for the next models but mine has been fairly solid, aside from the USB port being barely functional and the battery life plummeting. The phone now shuts off with less than 15-20% battery very frequently.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The features you want are going to be difficult to find on current models. The 6P doesn't have front facing speakers, and the HTC-made Nexus/Pixel phones also won't have front facing speakers. Also, very few phones now have accessible internals for battery changes and whatnot. From what I can remember, the Samsung Notes are the last ones to offer that, but they also may have sealed hardware now.

Have you looked into the M10 as a possibility? It's sealed and I'm not sure if it has the front facing speakers, but it's likely the closest you'll get to your M8.

Another option is to find a third party phone service and pay them to replace the battery in your M8.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The features you want are going to be difficult to find on current models. The 6P doesn't have front facing speakers, and the HTC-made Nexus/Pixel phones also won't have front facing speakers. Also, very few phones now have accessible internals for battery changes and whatnot. From what I can remember, the Samsung Notes are the last ones to offer that, but they also may have sealed hardware now.

Have you looked into the M10 as a possibility? It's sealed and I'm not sure if it has the front facing speakers, but it's likely the closest you'll get to your M8.

Another option is to find a third party phone service and pay them to replace the battery in your M8.

Quick correction: the 6P does have front facing speakers. Not sure if they are any good(I have very low expectations for my phone speakers) but they are loud enough for when you are just sitting around.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Google does list the 6P as having dual front facing speakers
    https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6p

I can live without the battery being replaceable as long as it lives a few years. I haven't done much research on the new M10 but I can check it out, I do know that I'd be forced to an outright purchase option as I don't think it's available through my carrier.

Another question for those a little more technical. My company insists on using iphones with a program called MobileIron and won't allow ANYONE to get a company phone that doesn't run iOS because of it as they say that it's iOS only. I'm curious if I could buy the app for android and run through the setup process and wind up with it being functional or if there is some sort of difference in there that would stop me from being able to use it. If I could SIM swap and run my work SIM on an android I would be stoked!

• Options
    the 6P does have front facing speakers and they are very good. I use them all the time.

the 6P is nearly a year old which should give you pause, but it is still a solid phone and will get at the absolute very least whatever the major version of android is next fall. So you'll get at least a couple of years before a major android version will not make it to the phone.

As for a removable battery.... that ship has mostly sailed. You'll find a few models here and there that have it, mostly in the midrange, but other than that the age of removable batteries is pretty much over. You severely limit your choices if you make that a hill to die on.

About mobileiron, a quick search in the play store seems to indicate their suite of apps is available on Android. However that doens't mean that your employer supports mobileiron on android because it probably requires back end work on IT's part. https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=MobileIron&hl=en

However, if your corporate IT tells you that they only support iPhone, than they only support iPhone. As someone who works in IT and runs mobile phones, don't try to circumvent them. there are any number of reasons they only support iPhone.

• Options
    the 6P does have front facing speakers and they are very good. I use them all the time.

the 6P is nearly a year old which should give you pause, but it is still a solid phone and will get at the absolute very least whatever the major version of android is next fall. So you'll get at least a couple of years before a major android version will not make it to the phone.

As for a removable battery.... that ship has mostly sailed. You'll find a few models here and there that have it, mostly in the midrange, but other than that the age of removable batteries is pretty much over. You severely limit your choices if you make that a hill to die on.

About mobileiron, a quick search in the play store seems to indicate their suite of apps is available on Android. However that doens't mean that your employer supports mobileiron on android because it probably requires back end work on IT's part. https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=MobileIron&hl=en

However, if your corporate IT tells you that they only support iPhone, than they only support iPhone. As someone who works in IT and runs mobile phones, don't try to circumvent them. there are any number of reasons they only support iPhone.

Dang. Shame about the lacking potential for MobileIron to just work on an android. I figured there were reasons why they so adamantly refuse. The annoying part is the only two people in the company (according to my favourite IT guy) who don't run iPhones are the two top guys. Both of them are using an Android...

I can totally live without swappable batteries, hell I'm ok with charing my phone semi frequently I'm just frustrated that the MicroUSB is such a pain in the arse to replace in my M8 and won't even work half the time anymore. My biggest concern really is the front facing speakers, and otherwise just the general quality of the phone, camera, shell, screen, etc. Maybe what I'll do is wait out to see what the new model is going to look like and if I don't like it try to pick up whatever is left of the 6P through my carrier.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »

Dang. Shame about the lacking potential for MobileIron to just work on an android. I figured there were reasons why they so adamantly refuse. The annoying part is the only two people in the company (according to my favourite IT guy) who don't run iPhones are the two top guys. Both of them are using an Android...

I can totally live without swappable batteries, hell I'm ok with charing my phone semi frequently I'm just frustrated that the MicroUSB is such a pain in the arse to replace in my M8 and won't even work half the time anymore. My biggest concern really is the front facing speakers, and otherwise just the general quality of the phone, camera, shell, screen, etc. Maybe what I'll do is wait out to see what the new model is going to look like and if I don't like it try to pick up whatever is left of the 6P through my carrier.

Its not the 6P, but I've got a Nexus 6, and it has the front facing screen, and the battery is pretty solid. Also, it comes with built in wireless charging, which means even if my microUSB fails, I can still charge it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Varinn wrote: »

Its not the 6P, but I've got a Nexus 6, and it has the front facing screen, and the battery is pretty solid. Also, it comes with built in wireless charging, which means even if my microUSB fails, I can still charge it.

I truly hope all phones have front facing screens.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Think of the battery life of a rear facing screen though! You could optimize to show all colors as black and have amazing DPI and still have great SoT

• Options
    Well I mean, a phone with a rear facing screen actually did exist.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/14/8604557/yotaphone-2-review

• Options
    Recent renders showed up that have the Pixel XL/Marlin just a hair smaller than the iPhone 6+. Which, in hindsight, is what I should have expected. So this pretty much cements my pick for the Pixel/Sailfish.

• Options
    Google Event announced for October 4th.

• Options
    I really hope the rumor of ~$650 Pixels is false. Cause I'm not sure I could justify it to myself in the short term.

• Options
    I'm still sad they keep shrinking their large phone.

• Options
  • Options
    Shit that's a good price.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So I picked up a Cubot Rainbow as a stop-gap phone until I can finally get my LG G4 fixed or die trying. Initial impressions are positive - really nice display (5", 720p but bright, vibrant and sharp), very solid build quality with zero flex (despite a detachable backplate), decently loud speaker and what appears to be a perfectly servicable camera, and a seemingly not-messed-with (at least, not much) 6.0 Marshmallow OS. It's so far been a bit slow at handling Facebook (seems to have sped up now) and The Guardian website, probably a consequence of its unfortunately small 1GB RAM. But it does come with 16GB of storage unlike most phones in its price bracket and zero bloatware to compete for space with the things you might actually want. It accepts up to a 32GB SD card; it seems to think my Sandisk Ultra 64GB one is corrupt - it isn't - so sadly I can't use that, contrary to reports I had seen, which is a shame. Youtube is happily playing 720p video smoothly and everything else I've tried so far has been problem-free. My preferred phone games aren't very demanding - board games mostly; Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and the like - so I expect no headaches there.

Should be a pretty decent stopgap/spare phone, definitely good for £62.99 (which included a wall charger & cable, clear soft case and well pre-applied glass screen protector). Just odd getting used to the Back button being on the right, and a Menu button (hold for the task switcher) on the left. For that matter, the USB charging port is on the top!

Its only cardinal sin seems to be not letting me filter my contacts in the phone app (which I habitually use instead of Contacts itself), so I have to sift through every Google contact ever rather than my usual curated list specifically for my phone. But I'll live. I've just found a spot in my dock for Contacts, grudgingly, as it works in that.

Edit of an edit: Never mind, regarding file transfers, there was a setting I missed. Simple. D'oh.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So I have a Galaxy S6 Edge (HATE the edge) and my contract expires in January.

What kind of cool, new phone should I be looking at around that time?

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So I have a Galaxy S6 Edge (HATE the edge) and my contract expires in January.

What kind of cool, new phone should I be looking at around that time?

The big ones will probably be the new Google-branded phones, the new Nexuses (which it sounds like will be renamed Pixels), currently codenamed Marlin and Sailfish. We expect to see them unveiled on Oct 4th. I think all the other big phones through January are out there now.

Of course, you could get a standard S7 if you like, which would get rid of the Edge part you dislike, if I'm reading your post right. It's fractionally smaller than its sibling and has a slightly smaller battery, but other than that has all the bells and whistles the S7 Edge has.

• Options
    in January the S7 will be near end of life. the Galaxy S line is usually announced end of February/early March. The best newer phones that we know will be around at that time will be the Google Pixel phones. Nothing else we know about is coming around that time. CES usually brings a bunch of lesser brand phone announcements but not big name phones, and the phones that are announced aren't likely to be available right away anyway.

There could of course be a surprise or two, and heck the Note 7 will probably be available for a really good price around that time, and the Note 7's with batteries that don't explode will be among the safest phones in the world becuase you can be sure as shit that Samsung is making 200% sure every note 7 going out now is fine.

• Options
    Is it possible to change what a headset button does? I believe the default is to hang up, but I'd like to make it so clicking the center (not volume) button would mute/unmute me.

If it matters I have a Nexus 5X.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Is it possible to change what a headset button does? I believe the default is to hang up, but I'd like to make it so clicking the center (not volume) button would mute/unmute me.

generally no. That's not an Android thing, that's a headset hardware thing. There *may* be an app for your device that might allow you to do it, but 99.9% sure the answer is no.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

generally no. That's not an Android thing, that's a headset hardware thing. There *may* be an app for your device that might allow you to do it, but 99.9% sure the answer is no.

Welp turns out the headset actually functions the way I want it to on my 5X. I swear the last time I checked clicking the center button hung up my phone, but I just tried it and now it mutes me (and I long press to hang up).

Sucks that it's not customizable, but I guess I'm just an idiot and it's actually doing what I want it to.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    So, I've got an upgrade available for my company-paid phone (currently an Xperia z3v), I'm stuck on Verizon because of this plan, and I do not like any of Samsung's offerings. What are other people's thoughts on the non-Samsung Android devices Verizon offers? Are any of them a worthwhile upgrade from my current device?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    donavannj wrote: »
    So, I've got an upgrade available for my company-paid phone (currently an Xperia z3v), I'm stuck on Verizon because of this plan, and I do not like any of Samsung's offerings. What are other people's thoughts on the non-Samsung Android devices Verizon offers? Are any of them a worthwhile upgrade from my current device?

lookign at the VZW lineup, the Moto Z is the newest nice thing on the list. It's been reviewed pretty well though I don't think for a work owned phone you'd want to make a big investment into the mods to make it a fully great experience.

the HTC 10 is still a really solid device, and a good option, if a few months old. If you're at all interested in a physical keyboard the BlackBerry Priv remains one of the best Android phones ever made that no one bought.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I now have a non explodey Note 7! Yay!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I'm really impressed with this Cubot Rainbow so far. It's a shockingly capable phone for the money. The display is ridiculously good, and it's handling everything I throw at it. It lacks 4G and NFC, the vibrate is pretty poor, and yes, a bit more RAM might've helped it a lot, but it's a cracker otherwise. It's no flagship replacement, of course, but it's not trying to be. It's brilliant for what it is. Ideal secondary, spare, or festival phone.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I haven't researched this yet, but I tried popping my mom's SIM into my BLU R1 last night to let her give it a test drive; and the phone didn't recognize the SIM in either slot. I tried it with my SIM to see if the phone would recognize something, and it didn't work.

FWIW, we are on AT&T, and we both have nanoSIMs. Mine has an adapter that lets it play nice with microSIM slots.

It *appears* that the SIM chip has 3 conductors on its surface, but the R1's SIM slots have 4 (well...8) contact pins. Could this be part of the issue? I'm asking here while I go searching when I have some free time at work.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm super stoked that my 6P on Google Fi arrived today. I know the Pixel is coming but honestly the reviews for the 6P are so good that I don't feel bad about this. I'm coming from an HTC One running 4.2. I rooted it the day I got it to kill the Sense UI, but upgrading the OS was always just too much work and never seemed to work right.

I'm putting it through the updates right now. Excited to be jumping three whole versions. I think? Is Nougat available OTA for the 6P yet? The last update I started said "preparing your phone for nougat" or something.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm super stoked that my 6P on Google Fi arrived today. I know the Pixel is coming but honestly the reviews for the 6P are so good that I don't feel bad about this. I'm coming from an HTC One running 4.2. I rooted it the day I got it to kill the Sense UI, but upgrading the OS was always just too much work and never seemed to work right.

I'm putting it through the updates right now. Excited to be jumping three whole versions. I think? Is Nougat available OTA for the 6P yet? The last update I started said "preparing your phone for nougat" or something.

It is, but there are some reports of people having heavy battery drain from OS apps on some version of nougat still even post beta. Worst case you have to rollback to 6.0 I suppose.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Nexus question time! My attention has been brought to a 6P that is behaving strangely with type C chargers. The issue has been narrowed down to the phone itself, since it won't charge off the brick it came with, and only gets "charging" on the brick my 5X came with. My phone gets "charging rapidly" on both bricks, and the 6P can still charge off a regular brick with an A to C adapter cable.

Is this likely to be a software/firmware problem and thus theoretically easily fixable, or is it gonna be hardware based and thus much more of a hassle?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
This discussion has been closed.