Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Ok, it sounds almost 100% for sure that Andoid 7 is hitting this monday, the 22nd.

Telus, a carrier in Canada, has posted their update schedule and has Android 7 hittnig the 6P and 5X on the 22nd. Telus did the same thing last year with Marshmallow and got the date correct.

LG also has documenation that they'll be starting a preview program for G5's in Korea starting on the 22nd. From what I'm reading OEM's aren't allowed to do anything like that until the official code drop.

So get yourselves ready. Android 7 is coming in 4 days.

I didn't realize it was that soon. Maybe I'll have my new 6P by then. I've placed the order but these corporate phone plan companies don't go through nearly as quickly. Are we expecting them to launch a new phone at the same time?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    God, I remember last year for me. My N5 died completely 3 weeks before the 6P and 5X were announced. Woudln't boot anymore, couldn't see it in adb, so it was done. I pulled out my N4 to use until the new phones were announced. 2 weeks later, the day I ordered the 6P actually, an unfortunate kitchen incident had a pot fall off the counter and hit my leg, right in the pocket the N4 was in. It damaged the digitizer, rendering touch useless. I actually had to break out and use a Galaxy Nexus for 5 days until the 6P arrived. That was pretty painful to use.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ok, it sounds almost 100% for sure that Andoid 7 is hitting this monday, the 22nd.

Telus, a carrier in Canada, has posted their update schedule and has Android 7 hittnig the 6P and 5X on the 22nd. Telus did the same thing last year with Marshmallow and got the date correct.

LG also has documenation that they'll be starting a preview program for G5's in Korea starting on the 22nd. From what I'm reading OEM's aren't allowed to do anything like that until the official code drop.

I didn't realize it was that soon. Maybe I'll have my new 6P by then. I've placed the order but these corporate phone plan companies don't go through nearly as quickly. Are we expecting them to launch a new phone at the same time?

honestly, we have no idea this year. Like you said, 7.0 is hitting earlier than the android code drop the last few years, and LG has already announced that the V20 will be the first phone shipping with 7.0 out of the box, and that is coming in early September.

Confusing matters even more is the appearance of API level 25 in the android SDK documentation. If you (or anyone) don't know, google usually revs the API number in each major release of Android, even if it isn't a full point release. (5.0 was API level 22, 5.1 was 23, etc). This is how developers can target apps at certain OS versions, they target API levels, not OS numbers. Android 7.0 is API 24, and 25 is already making an appearance. this may mean that an Android 7.1 is closer to release than we've realised, and maybe that hits in Ocbober/November with new Nexus devices?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Current scuttlebutt is that since iPhone will dominate the news cycle in September, "they" are going to wait until October. That's mostly conjecture put forward by the community, but it makes a bit of sense.

• Options
    yea this was from a couple pages ago but my personal opinion was that they should either get the phones out and in people's hands in mid August else wait until October.

Whether people like it or not, Apple dominates September with the iPhone. And regardless as to whether the Nexus phones are better/more interesting, it just makes more sense from a marketing perspective to not announce/release a high profile device in the same time frame as Apple.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

honestly, we have no idea this year. Like you said, 7.0 is hitting earlier than the android code drop the last few years, and LG has already announced that the V20 will be the first phone shipping with 7.0 out of the box, and that is coming in early September.

Confusing matters even more is the appearance of API level 25 in the android SDK documentation. If you (or anyone) don't know, google usually revs the API number in each major release of Android, even if it isn't a full point release. (5.0 was API level 22, 5.1 was 23, etc). This is how developers can target apps at certain OS versions, they target API levels, not OS numbers. Android 7.0 is API 24, and 25 is already making an appearance. this may mean that an Android 7.1 is closer to release than we've realised, and maybe that hits in Ocbober/November with new Nexus devices?

I've actually been without a phone for the past month or so but I just found my wife's cracked old Galaxy Nexus in my office and happened to have a SIM adapter lying around so I'm resorting to that for the time being. I just need it to text and call right now anyways.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Armoroc wrote: »
    My LG G4 died on me last night. It won't charge at all and if I fiddle around with the battery it turns on to a blue screen. This morning I remembered about the hard reset option, but I can't seem to get the phone to turm on at all.

Bummer. My friend's G4 died too (got stuck in the boot loop which bricks the phone, and is a known issue) and mine is still having multiple problems (cameras/flashlight dead, Youtube app can't connect, Call constantly crashes which makes it unusable as an actual telephone, etc) but keeps limping along otherwise. I've just pulled the trigger on a warranty repair now, despite procrastinating on it for so long because I couldn't face the potential hassle. My friend just got his back from repair.

Still a lovely phone when it works but it really does seem to have some inherent hardware issue(s) that only manifest over time, which is a real shame.

I hope you can get yours fixed/replaced.

Jazz on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Enjoy! I'll be reading bug reports from my heathen Nexus 5.

Root and custom ROM?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I've actually been without a phone for the past month or so but I just found my wife's cracked old Galaxy Nexus in my office and happened to have a SIM adapter lying around so I'm resorting to that for the time being. I just need it to text and call right now anyways.

I found it so slow even for that. that phone did not age well at all, and I loved it so much at the time.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Well, after my iPhone 6 Plus started refusing to connect to cellular ever again (wifi still works, so it's basically a 5.5" iPod Touch now), I had to get a new phone. Looking back at the fact that I spent $850 on this phone less than two years ago (and still owe $70 to ATT for it), I feel like an idiot, and I'm never spending that amount of money on a phone again. Especially one that doesn't have a headphone jack.

So, I'm borrowing a friend's old phone until I decide what to get. It's a Moto X Pure. Feels great. I played around with a Nexus 6 like a year and a half ago, so this feels pretty familiar in a lot of ways.

First impressions on the software and hardware:

I can use this without a case because it has a rubbery back instead of the all metal build on the iPhone that felt like greased teflon. That's pretty cool, since there are like... no cases for this thing.

The fast charging is amazing. I can charge from 40% to 85% on my 30 minute commute. I almost don't need to plug this in at night. Which is also great since the battery life isn't fantastic.

Google Photos is amazing. Full stop. So much better than iCloud's lousy photo sharing/backup/sync bullshit that I couldn't even properly explain how to manage as an Apple employee.

The IR sensor that lets you do the hand wave over the phone to show the time and notifications is great. My phone sits next to me on my desk all day, so that's way handier than I ever imagined.

The shake and chop shortcuts for the camera and flashlight are also great. Super well thought out, Moto.

Don't love the headphone jack on top/charger on bottom thing. Kind of awkward in the car. Both are good placements on their own, but with both plugged in together, it's super awkward. Makes me think I should invest in a BT receiver for the car.

Built in speakers that aren't hot garbage! Wow!

The dimple is my favoritest simple feature on any phone.

Hangouts seems great, if I could ever convince my family to install it instead of iMessage.

As of yet, I'm not missing any apps from iOS. Well, just Tweetbot, but Fenix seems good enough.

I feel a surprisingly amount less stress not having red alert bubbles overlayed on tons of apps. Especially since some apps on iOS are shitty and get their notification bubbles stuck on them.

Automatic is a little jankier than on iOS. Eh.

Google Now is fucking magic. As soon as I started using this phone it's giving me estimated driving time to work, Red Sox scores, Overwatch videos, and No Man's Sky guides. Google GETS ME in a way that should probably make me a little uncomfortable, but doesn't.

Holy shit, having 64gb + 128gb (microSD) is AMAZING. Google Music is so good and convenient. It's maybe the second best Google service after Photos.

---

All in all, I'm amazed that I you can get a phone that's this fucking good for like $350. It's definitely not perfect, but holy crap, is this ever a solid experience for like $500 less than I paid for that iPhone.

I'll never knock iPhones in general, except for the price. Because yeah, that aspect is absurd. Kind of their schtick, though, isn't it? (But hell, I'm living on my old 4S now while the LG G4 is out of action; the 4S is a goddamn tank and continues to soldier on well. It's slow at loading and some websites crash Safari all too easily - might be a memory issue since the phone only has 512MB of RAM - but it still does a lot well.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Did android have an update where you now can't add a contact without linking it to an email account? I just want to put this number into my phone, it doesn't need to be linked to anything.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So my phone that likes to constantly reboot..

Huh... this seems fine... :bigfrown:

duaxewq2je2p.jpg

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Not sure where to post this, but Google is working on a new OS named Fuchsia: http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/15/12480566/google-fuchsia-new-operating-system

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    My LG G4 died on me last night. It won't charge at all and if I fiddle around with the battery it turns on to a blue screen. This morning I remembered about the hard reset option, but I can't seem to get the phone to turm on at all.

Bummer. My friend's G4 died too (got stuck in the boot loop which bricks the phone, and is a known issue) and mine is still having multiple problems (cameras/flashlight dead, Youtube app can't connect, Call constantly crashes which makes it unusable as an actual telephone, etc) but keeps limping along otherwise. I've just pulled the trigger on a warranty repair now, despite procrastinating on it for so long because I couldn't face the potential hassle. My friend just got his back from repair.

Still a lovely phone when it works but it really does seem to have some inherent hardware issue(s) that only manifest over time, which is a real shame.

I did! I have a G5 now :biggrin: I paid half of the phone off which qualified me for the Jump upgrade, but the phone didn't work so I used the warranty on the phone to get another G4. Then I used that working phone to get my upgrade. Had to jump a hoop there, but I'm happy so far with this new phone! The people at my local T-Mobile are cool so that made the whole process smooth too.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Did android have an update where you now can't add a contact without linking it to an email account? I just want to put this number into my phone, it doesn't need to be linked to anything.

not that I'm aware. just choose to store it on the phone in the contacts app.

• Options
    I now have a phone that doesn't crash constantly! Hooray!
    The note 7 is really nice to hold and the screen is beautiful. Only downside so far is that the speaker is complete garbage. Worse than the 4 at the very least. So happy though.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I am so extremely happy with my Huawei mate 8.

Got it in an Amazon prime sale for about 400€ and it's so good.. So fast, such a nice battery, and yeah.. Quick charging is so fucking great.

30 minutes from like.. 30-80% charge.

Not that I ever manage to have 30% charge after a work day. When I'm back from work, after two bus rides where I usually surf the internet while listening to music , some games during break I usually return home with about 70% battery in the evening.

And if I don't plug it in over night it maybe loses 1-2% charge

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

I did! I have a G5 now :biggrin: I paid half of the phone off which qualified me for the Jump upgrade, but the phone didn't work so I used the warranty on the phone to get another G4. Then I used that working phone to get my upgrade. Had to jump a hoop there, but I'm happy so far with this new phone! The people at my local T-Mobile are cool so that made the whole process smooth too.

Sounds like a good result!

I'm still waiting for LG to get back to me regarding a repair. :?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Weeeelllp I added my Nexus 6P to the beta program to get Nougat today, and it downloaded the whole thing and started installing it but then decided to give an error message and I had to restart. Now I'm back at M and it says I'm up to date. Frick.

Edit: Opting out of the beta program and then returning to it did the trick. I got to download it again and this time installing worked.

Absalon on
  • Options
    I sideloaded the OTA on my 6P. So far so good, though some of the new features, like better doze, will take a few days to fully see. There are a bunch of UI tweaks I like a bunch, and I love love love the new notification shade.

• Options
    Also, I find this super interesting. Google has indicated that they are going to go to a more regular release schedule for Android, calling them "maintenance releases"

So it looks like the rumours of Anroid 7.1 coming soonish are true. if we see releases every quarter we could see 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 before any 8.0 release.

I wonder how big those updates will be. It kind of reminds me of Jelly Bean releases. 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 were all the basic same version of android, but all had small improvements.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

not that I'm aware. just choose to store it on the phone in the contacts app.

It doesn't seem to want to give me that option.

• Options
    I'm really loving the Note 7 so far. The screen protector situation is going to drive me mad, though. I can get the thing in, but cases cause the corners to peel up. There are apparently more case friendly protectors, so I'll probably have to look at those.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm really loving the Note 7 so far. The screen protector situation is going to drive me mad, though. I can get the thing in, but cases cause the corners to peel up. There are apparently more case friendly protectors, so I'll probably have to look at those.

Does the screen have a slight taper on the edges like the S7? It's infuriating to use with a screen protector because I prefer glass ones, which stop several mm from the edge due to the curve. :?

工事中
  • Options
    I prefer glass ones too, but they haven't made a good tempered glass protector that works with the curved phones yet, so back to the soft ones.

I'm probably going to just take an xacto knife to this screen protector at work tomorrow. Even just taking a millimeter off around the edges will probably solve my problem.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Does anybody know how to reenable Google Voice with Verizon's HD Voice?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So a brick and mortar I end up in frequently has started carrying a bunch of USB type C cables and chargers and such, was Belkin one of the brands that has been following all the design standards and whatever?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    So I have a super annoying issue on my Nexus 5x with Ford Sync in my car - Sync is sporadically unable to initiate a pairing with my phone. Sometimes it's fixed by doing a phone reset or turning bluetooth off/on, sometimes not. The one solution I've found that always works is simply to initiate the pairing from the phone's bluetooth menu. Does anybody know if there's a way to tell Android to detect that a bluetooth device is available and connect to it automatically without relying on the device to make the connection?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My 5X does that occasionally in my VW. I usually have to turn Bluetooth off on my phone and re-pair it in order for it to connect again. However, sometimes turning my car off and starting it again fixes it.

Odd and annoying but it only happens once a month.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So a brick and mortar I end up in frequently has started carrying a bunch of USB type C cables and chargers and such, was Belkin one of the brands that has been following all the design standards and whatever?

You'd have to do some digging in Amazon to find which ones are/were still good. I'd assume that Belkin plays by the rules. Why else would they be able to get away with charging ~15% more than everyone else?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Got the Android 7 update on my Nexus 10 a few days ago...

New notification shade is nice, but the actual notifications for some apps (google play music) look worse somehow? Also there's a lot more noticeable lag switching to between programs (as in the display actually goes black completely except for the software buttons). Debating if I should just nuke the tablet and install 7 fresh and see if that works any better.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I need to vent a little bit, here. My N5 is slowly giving up its ghost, and I'm just hoping that I can make it to Oct/Nov. Wifi connection is iffy, at best. The phone constantly loses and reconnects to Wifi roughly every 5 minutes. And now, cell phone connection is getting worse. Any time I make a phone call, it's guaranteed to not connect at least the first 3 times I try.

Also -- and I'm not sure if this is related to AT&T's VoLTE or the phone itself -- the phone instantly drops to HSPA any time I try to make a call; which I think is part of the problem with dropped calls. I can still receive calls, but answering them is starting to become a problem. I've also watched the phone constantly drop and pick up cell reception in the middle of a call. The antenna signal will go to zero, then up to 3/4 bars, then back down, then back up. So half the time, the person on the other line says that I'm dropping out.

Text messages also get either missed or delayed on the regular. This has gotten to the point that I have to restart the phone daily to make sure I'm not missing anything. I first noticed this problem about 2 weeks ago when I was on a work trip and moved my SIM card to my work travel phone; and got roughly 7-8 messages that hadn't been received by the N5.

Of course, all this signal nonsense is making battery life slide further and further down the proverbial cliff. I haven't gotten to the point that I'm carrying a battery backup with me all the time, but the phone certainly gets plugged in at any opportunity.

======
    To compound all of this, I'm getting mixed reports about the HTC Nexus phones, so my feet are getting cold. I'm actually considering either a N6 or 5X as an alternative, in the hopes of whomever comes in after HTC has a "better" phone. It also doesn't help that rumors have started about Google dropping "Nexus" and moving to some sort of in-house branding; and I'm not sure if that will affect hardware or not.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea my moto x is slowly losing battery steam. making the oneplus 3 and g4 look appealing. i am all about the moto stuff but hate plasticy phones

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I've run into a really annoying bug on my table - Chrome will only play some videos for 4s. I can sometimes touch the progress bar and get it to play for another 4 seconds, but I don't consider that a very viable workaround. Chrome us up to date, I've tried clearing cache and cookies, and tried viewing in incognito mode to no avail.

Most videos have this issue, basically every video (I think I was able to watch one) linked via embedded tweet doesn't work, flash video (maybe its HTML5), generally doesn't work, YouTube however does.

These videos will work on my phone though.

I have no idea what's causing this but its pretty recent. Anybody else run into this?

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    https://engadget.com/2016/09/01/potential-galaxy-note-7-recall-battery/

Just been confirmed guys that the Galaxy Note 7 is having a global recall over the exploding battery issues. I know a few people on here have got one I would suggest contacting your network or Samsung customer services to get a replacement.
    At a press conference to announce the recall, Samsung said that 35 cases of the fault have been reported to date, and it estimates the problem affects only 24 in a million devices, which equates to roughly one for every 42,000 sold. Koh Dong-jin, president of Samsung's mobile business, apologized for any inconvenience the recall may cause customers, but said it was important to put safety first.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    It has also been mentioned that the recall will be handled on a market by market basis. I'm guessing this means it'll be handled by carriers in many cases, unless you bought unlocked direct from Samsung. for as big as Samsung is they don't have the infrastructure in place in every country to pull this off themselves.

EDIT: good explainer from Android Central http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall

wunderbar on
  • Options
    .......... Fuck.

• Options
    For whatever it's worth, woot.com has unlocked, refurbed versions of the Samsung Notes currently on sale. (e.g. Note 5 for $350)

I'd be lying if I didn't consider one for a minute, as my new "tablet" for at home.

Based on my diatribe earlier this week, I'm going to start casually checking Swappa, Gazelle, and Ebay for some moderately or cheap priced 5X's as possible replacements until I decide what to do for a new-new phone. Any other secondary market sites that would be worth my time?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    For whatever it's worth, woot.com has unlocked, refurbed versions of the Samsung Notes currently on sale. (e.g. Note 5 for $350)

I'd be lying if I didn't consider one for a minute, as my new "tablet" for at home.

Based on my diatribe earlier this week, I'm going to start casually checking Swappa, Gazelle, and Ebay for some moderately or cheap priced 5X's as possible replacements until I decide what to do for a new-new phone. Any other secondary market sites that would be worth my time?

if you're just looking for something to get you by for a month or two look at some cheap android phones on amazon. BLU makes approximately 12 billion different phones. They won't wow you over, but they might do the job for you until you decide.

• Options
    I'm not worried about the replacement, I'm sure Samsung will take care of people to get this out of the news cycle quickly. But the problem is how this is handled is being left up to the carriers. I'm sure Verizon would love to give me some garbage phone as a loaner while this one is replaced.

This discussion has been closed.