As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Worlds are here! Tag your spoilers!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    What does the Sated phantom attack actually do? What exactly is an "on-hit effect"? I have trouble grasping the way the item works from the wiki description.
    On-hit is any effect that activates additionally whenever you make an auto attack. The extra magic damage of the Sated Devourer itself is an on-hit.

This is easiest to understand with things that go off every hit, such as Sated or BoRK or Wit's End. It means that every other auto attack, the phantom will kick in and apply an additional extra hit of damage from those items on top of the normal hit from the auto attack itself.

On people who stack like Jax or Xin Zhao or Aatrox, what it means is every other attack they get two stacks on their counter instead of one. Practically speaking, Jax gets his extra damage hit from his ult passive every other hit instead of every third hit, Xin and Aatrox heal every other hit instead of every third hit, and so on.

I love that it makes a little phantom version of you to make the extra attack. Very nice touch

Tried this on Yi yesterday and never saw this animation? Is this on high settings only because medium is about it for me.

https://youtu.be/BQZiIblsplA?t=1434

Watch this video for about 20 seconds as Xin Zhao fights blue buff, then a gromp. Every other attack, look for the purple Xin next to actual Xin.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    What does the Sated phantom attack actually do? What exactly is an "on-hit effect"? I have trouble grasping the way the item works from the wiki description.
    On-hit is any effect that activates additionally whenever you make an auto attack. The extra magic damage of the Sated Devourer itself is an on-hit.

This is easiest to understand with things that go off every hit, such as Sated or BoRK or Wit's End. It means that every other auto attack, the phantom will kick in and apply an additional extra hit of damage from those items on top of the normal hit from the auto attack itself.

On people who stack like Jax or Xin Zhao or Aatrox, what it means is every other attack they get two stacks on their counter instead of one. Practically speaking, Jax gets his extra damage hit from his ult passive every other hit instead of every third hit, Xin and Aatrox heal every other hit instead of every third hit, and so on.

I love that it makes a little phantom version of you to make the extra attack. Very nice touch

Tried this on Yi yesterday and never saw this animation? Is this on high settings only because medium is about it for me.

It's a very visible purple phantom. It's impossible to miss. So it must be a graphic settings thing if you're not seeing it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I see it in the video. I really don't recall seeing it on Yi's passive. It's probably because I'm on medium and on a tablet heh.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    You know, for the first time, I think that League executed something worse than Destiny. Destiny gets a lot of flak for various issues but one thing they do well is allow effective questing. You can basically do multiple quests, which are called bounties, in concert. You are not locked out of one bounty from the same event until you do an earlier bounty. And a lot of times, by the time you complete a hard bounty, you will have naturally completed some easier ones along the way. Now that I have gotten fairly far along in the BMB event, I see why people say it has issues. The way objectives are locked and essentially force you to re-do or re -win games because you can only complete one bounty at a time is pretty dumb.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    If any items make it into live SR, I hope it's Trickster's Glass. One it builds out of Haunting Guise so it opens up another option for the item and two it's really cool. Gives immobile champs a free jump if anything and it does create some confusion. Just imagine everyone on your team buying it and then suddenly which of the six Shacos is the real one.

butts
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    I will never, to the end of days, understand why kids these days think it's okay to throw around the N word or F word (homosexual). Shit and fuck don't bother me...but really? You're choosing to slander an entirely innocent collective of people by using a word in such a context that it is meant as an insult? Can't we just institute an immediate ban on these people? There is no context in a game chat where either of those words would be said as a non-vulgar attack. End the game, ban the account, consider it a /ff for the offending team (even if not in all chat), and give the rest of the team a loss forgiven.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    I'd like it if URF was around permanently because it's closer to a practice mode than what we've got now. 30 CD flashes and 20 second ultimates means you can really figure out limitations and capabilities of a kit.

As a PVP mode, I usually don't get more than a handful of games in when it comes around.

I know some folks on the Riot team are old old old RTS players, including several StarCraft veterans. If you played StarCraft way back in the way back old days, you might remember "Big Game Hunters," and that (combined with Morello's experience at ArenaNet and with Guild Wars) seems to have scared Riot away from novelty in map and game mode design.

I do miss the weird, fun modes, and would like to see them a little more often, but I understand why they're kept so rare. The game is designed to be played on SR, that is what everything is balanced around and where the game's main depth is designed to be found. Players will flock to the novelty of URF or similar modes, but they lack the strategic depth necessary to maintain a game for years on end.
    I strongly disagree with this reading of the situation. I think Riot saw themselves how poorly populated their own alternate map modes (TT and Dom) were and decided that heavily investing resources into such modes in hopes of long term player adoption wasn't working. Sure they have dedicated fanbases (Talith and that one other guy) but it distracts from their core gameplay offerings. There's an interesting dev blog from 2014 that discusses the idea behind temporary game modes. Iterating in small bursts where there are no expectations on long-term balance, maintenance and updates (see: balance drought for TT/Dom for long stretches of time before they put a team on it) allow them to try new things and, where they are successful (hello ARAM snowballs), implement them into the game.

Far from being "scared away from novelty in map and game mode design" I think Riot eventually understood the constraints and demands that permanent features create. While this doesn't excuse the lack of things like sandbox mode, they don't want to create another situation where they're forced to devote more and more resources just to maintain things like a permanent URF. The core product is indeed SR and that's where the majority of gameplay updates occur. What happens alongside those updates is echoing effects through Dom/TT and to a lesser extent ARAM which have to be accounted for.

The BGH<->RTS<->Map Mode connection is some illuminati shit, I really don't understand where you're coming from with that.

The funny thing is, I've been playing with the nohunters guys since Zil won BW beta.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    choo-choo

omw to bronze

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Medler:

"Our aim is to release the Garen, Darius, Skarner and Morde reworks in the same patch, along with some changes to fighter and defensive itemization. As usual that's not 100% guaranteed, it's certainly what we're trying for though."

Can't wait to hear about this nightmare patch.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Medler:

"Our aim is to release the Garen, Darius, Skarner and Morde reworks in the same patch, along with some changes to fighter and defensive itemization. As usual that's not 100% guaranteed, it's certainly what we're trying for though."

"Garen, Darius, Skarner and Mordekaiser have been temporarily disabled while we work on bugs associated with the reworks."

Calling it now.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Varethius wrote: »
    Going into Ranked as my worst role (ADC), I called jungler but being bottom on the pole means I got stuck with it :/
    Wonder how fun this'll be!

Games seem to go much more smoothly for me when I tell the group my preferred roles, and then take whatever's available, rather than "calling" a role in ranked.

There's no calling in ranked, it's all pick order. Say what you prefer, and take what's available with no grumbling. :)

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    China did this event much better. Gangplank is not disabled; it's just you can only play as ghost GP
    China has temporary skin/champ access built into the client (you get champ/skin rewards with limited duration as rewards for certain things like leveling up) which makes stuff like that pretty easy to implement. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard on NA with the spaghetti code they have for ARAM temp skins and stuff but who knows. Maybe it destroyed their test client.

It's astounding to me that china and NA actually have different codebases. What the what?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    spool32 wrote: »
    Varethius wrote: »
    Going into Ranked as my worst role (ADC), I called jungler but being bottom on the pole means I got stuck with it :/
    Wonder how fun this'll be!

Games seem to go much more smoothly for me when I tell the group my preferred roles, and then take whatever's available, rather than "calling" a role in ranked.

There's no calling in ranked, it's all pick order. Say what you prefer, and take what's available with no grumbling. :)

This is the main reason I want to get to 30. I will gladly take whats available as last pick, but I won't have to give a shit if someone below me calls top and is last pick. If they top at that point, their fault, not mine.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    China did this event much better. Gangplank is not disabled; it's just you can only play as ghost GP
    China has temporary skin/champ access built into the client (you get champ/skin rewards with limited duration as rewards for certain things like leveling up) which makes stuff like that pretty easy to implement. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard on NA with the spaghetti code they have for ARAM temp skins and stuff but who knows. Maybe it destroyed their test client.

It's astounding to me that china and NA actually have different codebases. What the what?

the NA league of legends has to be this monstrous frankenstein code creature because it was made first and iterated on as they attempt to add new features/functionalities etc. it's a giant fucking jenga tower at this point

i assume they had a little more foresight with the chinese client and were able to implement a comprehensive version that is not as fucked

• Options
    @DasUberEdward do you want to duo a bit? At least you won't have one serial afk'er on your team...

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Medler:

Why the fuck would they even consider unleashing all of that in one patch, especially nearing the end of a competitive season?

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Medler:

Why the fuck would they even consider unleashing all of that in one patch, especially nearing the end of a competitive season?

the stars have converged

the time is at hand

all is in order

League of Bruisers is back, baby

M E T A G O L E M

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Because fucking with the competitive meta right before Worlds is a grand Riot Games tradition.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Medler:

The current goal is apparently 5.16. We're on 5.14 now so in a month or less changes should show up. They'll probably do what they did with the AP changes and list the changes beforehand. This should be exciting.

butts
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Medler:

Because they dumb.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    well I don't have to play ranked anymore so score

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Because fucking with the competitive meta right before Worlds is a grand Riot Games tradition.
    It's almost time for worlds

Corki is gonna be the best ADC once again

(and hence TSM will be fine with Turtle if they can get that far)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    M E T A G O L E M

Don't tease me like this

Metagolem is my spirit animal

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Medler:

And yet, no sign of the Poppy rework. Unless I missed it.
    EDIT: oh it came up.

"The Poppy project is bigger than these 4 and it's being worked on by a different part of the champ update team. These won't slow her down."

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Garen's auto-attacks will now do 100% more punching animations on enemy champs with less kills than him, affirming that they are not worth him using his sword on.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @spool32 i ended up playing a few games with an actual smurf who took pity on me after beating my team.

i need to take a break for a few days. is the conclusion that i've come to.

essentially i've developed a defeatist attitude and it's poisoning my gameplay. not like typing "gg" in all chat or anything after the first 5 minutes but playing like someone who is going to lose and expecting to lose no matter how well I play.

so yeah going to pull the plug on league for a while until that gets out of my system. i pretty much started today expecting to fall to bronze which is definitely the wrong attitude.

played tremendously in a few games where I had the smurf on the team and it wasn't just because I had a competent teammate but it was because I had confidence in my team. all of the games i've been losing (well most of them) have probably been because I had no confidence in my team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Garen's auto-attacks will now do 100% more punching animations on enemy champs with less kills than him, affirming that they are not worth him using his sword on.

Is this a real thing? Because that would be cool.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Is this the only sport where the fundamental shape of the game changes frequently?

It'd be like if the NFL was constantly... hmm... but what if it did?

nfl-logo-new-9c02de6b3236c5cd.jpg
    njxKAeg.jpg

Hello summoners! This week we're making some changes to the Gridiron, and we're... revisiting a couple of items we feel have gotten slightly out of control. Lots of updates in this patch so let's get right to it!

SUMMONER'S GRIDIRON
    League of Kicking : Plenty of people have observed that Special Teams have gotten a little... out of hand (pun intended), so we're addressing this by moving the goalposts 4ft 7in higher, and a yard farther back from the goal line. This should better incentivize the touchdown battles that are really the heart of League of Football.

Hurry Up, Offense! : Delay of Game timers are being reduced by 3 seconds in all modes. We realize this might bring a large shift in the meta toward less complex offensive plays, so we're going to offset the change somewhat by also...

It's Not All that Foul : reducing the offsides and delay of game yardage penalties to 3.5 yards, as long as no champion deals damage to the opposing team's champions.

kbQ0ors.png
    2015-05-07T18-07-40-766Z--1280x720.video_170x113.jpgHXbN3TE.png

Tom Brady has been disabled in all queues due to an unexpected interaction with ball item PSI that may sometimes buff receivers in ways that violate our design principles. We believe that buffs should be visible to all teams, and due to a bug this buff was not. We know the issue was present in the run up to last season's World Championship, but on review we believe that it did not adversely affect the one game in which it occurred.

DMIdIqn.png
    jPDg0yt.png0An6tIk.png
    Speaking of quarterbacks, we think that helmet itemization has become a problem in recent seasons, and this is our latest effort to rebalance them. Please bear with us, more tweaks will be forthcoming if the issues don't begin to decrease. In an effort to create more short-yardage and rushing opportunity, helmets will now allow slightly less peripheral vision. We expect this to result in more tackling, which should mean less burst from diving assassins on defense as the hits are spread out across the length of the game. It should also have the effect of making QB skillshots more precisely targeted but more challenging both to receive and to intercept.
    Less Side-Eye, Please : Helmet Peripheral Vision 180° --> 90°

e74C9Xg.png
    We're concerned that while the change in helmet itemization coupled with Delay timer changes are great for the League, they may combine to make QB or Receiver champions much weaker. To mitigate this, we're adding a new Summer Spell: 5th Down! Once every 10 minutes, Coaches can activate 5th Down, giving their champions an extra play to avoid creating a turnover or reverting to Special Teams.
    Plead the 5th : Create a 5th down every 600 seconds

h61RHXG.pngFt1H85w.png
    Recently we're noticing a lot of summoners thanking God for particularly inspiring plays. Looking at it, we think a slight decrease in the speed boost champions get from prayer is in order. This should bring things more into line with the intent of Praying Hands in the game - namely, to save your butt when all else fails.
    A Piece of the Lord Be With You : Speed boost duration 5/10/20/40 seconds --> 5/10/15/20 seconds

That's all for this week. Good luck, and see you on the Gridiron!

spool32 on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Is this a real thing? Because that would be cool.

No. But he does punch people as one of his auto-attack animations, which are a semblance of him not giving his all.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So I'm sitting on about 8000 IP, not sure who to get with it. Problem is I have most of the top tier champions already, and from the stats at leaguepedia, the only competitive one with a high winrate that I don't have is Azir. Most of those wins were before the nerfs as far as I can tell.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Azir has a high winrate now? Dear God, I really haven't played this game in a long time.

• Options
    Azir has a high winrate now? Dear God, I really haven't played this game in a long time.

they fixed his bugs and now he's fun and good. :)

• Options
    übergeek wrote: »
    So I'm sitting on about 8000 IP, not sure who to get with it. Problem is I have most of the top tier champions already, and from the stats at leaguepedia, the only competitive one with a high winrate that I don't have is Azir. Most of those wins were before the nerfs as far as I can tell.

as is the league players' way

don't buy anything

complain riot doesn't release champions fast enough

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

45% isn't very high

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

45% isn't very high
    Dat knockup removal tho
    Orphane wrote: »

the NA league of legends has to be this monstrous frankenstein code creature because it was made first and iterated on as they attempt to add new features/functionalities etc. it's a giant fucking jenga tower at this point

i assume they had a little more foresight with the chinese client and were able to implement a comprehensive version that is not as fucked
    Well that and F2P games there have lots of different play incentivization mechanics, so Riot implemented stuff like daily quests (get 3 kills, win 2 games), level-up gifts like those skin trials, free T1/2 runes, and so on. Also a lot of the pre-Chinese-release skins are available in the Chinese region for straight purchase, like championship Riven. It's a weird wacky world out there!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    fucking the competitive meta is fucking awesome

the trollier the better

competitive league is a snorefest bring on the dancing grills

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    So, I just fought my first competent Janna. Now I understand why she is considered a strong pick, I couldn't seal kills when she was there to disengage. We won finally when we started just focusing her down first and the teamfights got a lot easier.

Well that and F2P games there have lots of different play incentivization mechanics, so Riot implemented stuff like daily quests (get 3 kills, win 2 games), level-up gifts like those skin trials, free T1/2 runes, and so on. Also a lot of the pre-Chinese-release skins are available in the Chinese region for straight purchase, like championship Riven. It's a weird wacky world out there![/quote]

it's probably because back home high-speed stable internet is still not as common or affordable as it is here in the West. I remember growing up going to arcades and also internet cafes not even for games, but to simply use the internet and find anime jpgs on yahoo. Also some PC lounges simply had you playing Quake 2 and Blood and Starcraft on LAN only, because the connections were not good enough except for stuff like Diablo.

In countries like the Philippines, probably Malaysia and even now areas of mainland China, internet connection quality and affordability very likely have not achieved the same saturation as Taiwan, Korea, Japan etc. And even in Korea for example, going to a PC bang as a social space is so common regardless of home access to the internet.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

the trollier the better

all i'm asking is where's the riven meta

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Medler:

And yet, no sign of the Poppy rework. Unless I missed it.
    EDIT: oh it came up.

"The Poppy project is bigger than these 4 and it's being worked on by a different part of the champ update team. These won't slow her down."

The thing they didn't tell you, though, is that they're "repurposing" the team that was supposed to balance Dominion as another "champ update team".
    So...good luck with getting a Poppy rework.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options

the trollier the better

all i'm asking is where's the riven meta

I thought soloqueue was all Riven mains hard carrying, all the time?