As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: There Are Only Two Kinds

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

my favorite critique of this is that all the characters look like Graphics Card Tech Demo people

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    yeah they're pretty generic

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Someone should send Notch some music that speaks to his situation. Someone send him some Kanye.

Fuck it, Kanye call him up.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia

And this is where my sympathy re-dissapated. I want Snoop session invites!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Hobnail wrote: »
    What if you became newly rich as a terrible misanthrope with no family or friends to lose, only enemies to spite

You should send me a bunch of money and we can find out!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    It turns out that fame and money are not actually secrets to having a happy and fulfilling life.

Saying "look at how lucky he is, how can he not be happy" ignores the reality of how our minds work.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really digging those character designs

meh

i'm still sticking with battleborn. mushroom doctor! chaos witch!

randy pitchford though

huh buh whu? what'd he do?

Had an artist who made an animated short they liked the artstyle of come by for an interview; didn't hire him but totally yanked the art style for Borderlands anyway.

Buying Duke Nukem Forever, realizing it was a piece of shit, talked it up like it was going to be awesome, and released it as a piece of shit anyway.

The Aliens: Colonial Marines fiasco, of which he has completely shifted the blame to the developer, which implies Gearbox never checked in on the product during development until it was too late, despite constantly talking about how much of a fan of the series he was and how they're going to do it right.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    also with aliens: colonial marines there's a lot of evidence that he just took a bunch of sega's money that was supposed to be spent on a:cm and spent it on making borderlands instead

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Two things

Is there any proof that Randy Pitchford was anything less than genuine in thinking DNF was awesome

Just because it was widely hated doesn't mean he didn't actually like it

And wasn't the lawsuit dropped aginst Gearbox

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    My sympathy for the super rich is limited because they have the option to give it away. Easier said than done I'm sure, but the option's there to give it to those who need it rather than using it to outbid Beyonce and JayZ for a vacation home

yeah that's what I don't get

you can lose that money if you want to

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Walking Simulator
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It turns out that fame and money are not actually secrets to having a happy and fulfilling life.

Saying "look at how lucky he is, how can he not be happy" ignores the reality of how our minds work.

having the money to meet your needs and wants of yourself and the people close to you is definitely conductive to a happy and fulfilling life

but 2 billion dollars doesn't really do that any better than like, one million dollars

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I've always thought that should I suddenly come into that sort of money my plan would be to retain like $20 million for anything I would need then just make all my friends and family millionaires. Give a bunch of money to charities. Fund political causes. It just doesn't seem that hard to make that money disappear.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it isn't hard to make money disappear

that's why most newly rich have lost all their money within a year

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Notch should just spend all his money funding psychonauts 2

boom problem solved

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Walking Simulator
    what could hideo kojima do with a $2 billion budget

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    -Tal wrote: »

having the money to meet your needs and wants of yourself and the people close to you is definitely conductive to a happy and fulfilling life

but 2 billion dollars doesn't really do that any better than like, one million dollars

One million dollars is 100k a year for ten years (less when you account for inflation), which is definitely enough for a comfortable life but not enough if you want to raise a few kids, or leave your kids a trust fund, or buy a house in particular areas, or make enough money off interest to not go back to work after the 10 years are up, etc. etc.

it's really easy to say you'd only keep enough to live comfortably, but it'd be really easy to justify not giving more and more away

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've seen Brewsters Millions like a dozen times, I could definitely make some money disappear.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    And there's the pressure of figuring out what the best use of the money would be. Which charities do the most good? What changes can you make in politics? Should you invest it first to make more money for donating?

This whole money thing kind of sucks.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Pander to Nostalgia
    Deans wrote: »
    And there's the pressure of figuring out what the best use of the money would be. Which charities do the most good? What changes can you make in politics? Should you invest it first to make more money for donating?

This whole money thing kind of sucks.

There's a reason Proverbs asks for neither poverty nor riches.

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    what could hideo kojima do with a $2 billion budget

something with a lot of smart things to say about the human condition, completely undermined by indulging his perversions

you know, the usual

• Options
    Walking Simulator
    Machwing wrote: »

One million dollars is 100k a year for ten years (less when you account for inflation), which is definitely enough for a comfortable life but not enough if you want to raise a few kids, or leave your kids a trust fund, or buy a house in particular areas, or make enough money off interest to not go back to work after the 10 years are up, etc. etc.

it's really easy to say you'd only keep enough to live comfortably, but it'd be really easy to justify not giving more and more away

I think you could do a ton with one million dollars to eliminate your debt and save and invest

But heck bump it up to 20 million, you're still losing 99% of your 2 billion and have 200 years worth of 100k living

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    update on Titan souls: it is rad

Especially once
    the game opens up and becomes proper shadow of the colossus/link to the past

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Two things

Is there any proof that Randy Pitchford was anything less than genuine in thinking DNF was awesome

Just because it was widely hated doesn't mean he didn't actually like it

And wasn't the lawsuit dropped aginst Gearbox

Regarding DNF: Either pitchford was full of shit or his opinion on the quality of his products is exceptionally suspect. Either way should be enough to give a person pause they they discover he's involved. Though Pitchford has been designing games for years; I'd be amazed if he didn't know exactly what kind of failings DNF had.

Regarding A:CM: Gearbox probably has good lawyers. Whether they're legally culpable or not, I don't see how they can't either have completely ignored the project (allowing a lot of people's time and money to be wasted, as well as running counter to Pitchford's cries of how much of a fan of Aliens he is and how they're going to treat the franchise properly) or they knew what was happening and apparently didn't take adaqaute steps to course correct.

People may have been willing to give that one a pass, but coming only a couple years after DNF, people will start taking notice.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    still playing Submerged

sometimes the creepy dudes who watch you spawn when you're climbing a structure, except...they're supposed to always go away while they're off screen

so instead you just creep up on them from behind, and then they turn, walk towards you, and then completely vanish out of thin air

neat game but man is it janky sometimes

also it has a day/night cycle and a weather cycle and it really shouldn't because it looks way better during the day, when it starts raining it just looks like it doesn't have as big a draw distance

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The audience participation stuff is fucking genius

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    voting on the thumbs cup is a fucking perfect way to bring in an audience to fibbage holy shit

• Options
    Pander to Nostalgia
    I've been thinking about this and going back to the party pack format is actually a really smart decision for jackbox

that way they can be more experimental with their games, with the safety net of any lie swatter or word spud style duds being carried by more surefire hits like fibbage 2 and presumably another you don't know jack

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    That's literally an f-zero game

okie doke

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's only coming to Wii U

Nintendo knows

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Walking Simulator
    It looks neat but I don't really see a lot more to the game aside from just lap based start to finish racing. That means, in terms of fun, it relies 100% on how well it controls, which we'd just have to see.

I've got nothing against people who love simplistic old-school style racers, but I sorta want a lot more than racing out of a racing game these days. Been spoiled by Burnouts and suchlike.

• Options
    Walking Simulator
    That f zero right down to the car and track design

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's only coming to Wii U

Nintendo knows

They know that it's better to let someone else take the risk

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    God damn it, these inferno challenges in Guacamelee are some hot bullshit.

This discussion has been closed.