As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Pretending I'm a Superman

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Social Entropy++
Remember Tony Hawk? He's back! In current-gen form.

PNkJPqH.png

Well, I mean, it'll playable on current-gen consoles. Some would argue that when it was revealed it didn't exactly look current-gen...

0MNlPWQ.jpg?1

Maybe there's something that could be done about that? Maybe...throw a quick cel-shading job on it?

cS9Xsdw.jpg?1

Much better! Not that it matters, THPS has never been a graphical showcase - a slick, consistent framerate is far more important. But I definitely dig the way that looks.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5. The fifth Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game.

After four amazing THPS games (1-4), Tony Hawk's Underground came out. You could get off the board, the death knell of a skateboarding game, and thus began the rapid decline of quality in the series that eventually led to an eight-year hiatus after the woefully bad Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (the ninth Tony Hawk game)

Now, like Days of Future Past came to retcon The Last Stand out of existence, here comes Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 to hopefully make us all forget that any post-THPS4 games ever happened

They announced the soundtrack today
Anti-Flag - “Stars and Stripes”
Atmosphere - “Southsiders”
Black Pistol Fire - “Hipster Shakes”
Bully - “Milkman”
Cloud Nothings - “I’m Not Part of Me”
Cold Cave - “A Little Death to Laugh”
Connie Price and the Keystones - “International Hustler”
Crass Mammoth - “All 149”
Deaf Poets - “Degenerate Mind”
Death - "Keep On Knocking"
Death From Above 1979 - "Virgins"
Deer Mother - "When The Wolves Come Out"
Doomtree - “Mini Brute"
Fake P - “Rorschach”
Family Force 5 -"Raised By Wolves"
Four Year Strong -"Go Down In History"
Harlan - "Moment To Myself"
Hundred Visions - "Our Ritual"
Hungry Hands - “Highline”
Icon For Hire -"Cynics and Critics"
Killer Be Killed -"Wings of Feather and Wax"
New Politics -"Everywhere I Go"
Plague Vendor - “Black Sap Scriptures”
Ratatat -"Cream on Chrome"
RattBlack - "Skate Rock"
Royal Blood - "Little Monster"
State Champs - "Secrets"
Temples - "Shelter Song"
The Orwells - "Who Needs You"
The Schitzophonics - “Rat Trap”
The Sheds - "Bad Things are Bad"
Yogi & Skrillex - "Burial"

Outside of Death and Skrillex, I've heard of none of these bands, but that's okay, because if THPS games have proven anything, it's that they're good at exposing people to music they've never heard of and will grow to love

Speaking of that, here's a Spotify playlist I made of the THPS1-4 soundtracks. I'll make one for 5 probably later on tonight

QUICK NOTES

- This game comes out in like, a month. September 29, 2015 to be exact.
- Unless you're planning on getting it for PS3/360, in which case it'll be hitting November 10th, 2015
- But maybe don't do that because the last-gen version doesn't have any online multi. Meanwhile, current-gen versions will have 20-person online multi

I have mad faith in this game, almost because, well, I have to. They're calling it Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5. This is their all-in, last chance they get at a true revival of this series. If they fuck this up, they frankly just won't get another shot at it. What I've seen of the game has me convinced, but unfortunately these games thrive on feel, which is something I can't possibly have first-hand knowledge of at the moment. Early impressions on the feel of the gameplay seem to be positive. I'm hopeful.

UnbreakableVow on

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Not knowing Anti-Flag? That's a paddlin'.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to wait on reviews for this one, I don't know what to expect.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Not knowing Anti-Flag? That's a paddlin'.

I thought I did for a second but it turned out I was thinking of Black Flag

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'll wait until I can see it in motion, because the still images look like butt to me.

• Options
    I have the feeling I'll be the only one getting this on launch day and reporting back to you all

I still remember the scars of buying THPS HD on launch day...

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    I'll wait until I can see it in motion, because the still images look like butt to me.

The old ones look like ass too but they are still fun to play.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Death from Above 1979 is a good band.

Ratatat is also a good band.

• Options
    I don't recognize any of those tracks!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlcywgEMuGI

I just found out about Ratatat recently myself.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm always terrible at skating games but I always think they're super fun, so yeah, I'll probably pick this one up

Especially because I've got a ton of nostalgia for 2 on the PS1

• Options
    I largely played Tony Hawk 2 when I should have been in Middle school.

• Options
    One of the most gripping multiplayer experiences I've ever had was playing the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 demo with a friend and trying to top each other's scores

One level and two songs and we did that for hours on end

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Playing Tony Hawk 1 was a transformative experience for me as a teenager, it literally changed the way I thought. I started to imagine lines as I walked around, olly from this to this, flip over that, etc.

There is almost no way for Tony Hawks PS5 to live up to the memories that I have of the early games in the series and Skate has come and gone and forever changed the way that I think about skateboarding games. I want to like this new one, I do, but I don't think I will.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KyBkv2a4DU

38 seconds in

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Royal Blood is also a good band.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    20 player multiplayer sounds like a fun time. Just load a bunch of friends into a level and bomb around.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KyBkv2a4DU

38 seconds in

That looks way better than the reveal by nowhere near next gen.

I still remember buying THPS 2. Such an amazing jump from the first one.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    As much as I'm unimpressed by the graphics of the game, especially the backgrounds on the maps, as long as it plays well I'm in for this. I love Tony Hawk games, although the best version of Tony Hawk was Shaun Palmer's Snowboarding, but everything about how those games play is what I want in a skateboard game.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really hope this game is good

It looks shockingly bad, graphics wise. Like I realize that has no impact on the game play which is what really matters about THPS but dang this looks like a game from like 2008

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    this game doesn't have any styyyyle and it really needs it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I honestly have no clue where the "this game looks bad" sentiment comes from

Even before the graphical change, but especially now

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    It looks fucking terrible.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    It's not that it really looks bad, it just doesn't look impressive. Sure it's better than stuff on the 360, but it looks no where near as dynamic as stuff like Titanfall.

• Options
    The cel shading really didn't do much in my opinion

Like it is better but it still looks real bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    the environments look alright but the character models are garbo

• Options
    cS9Xsdw.jpg?1
    Skate-3-Port8.jpg

Yeah like

I am not a big graphics guy but dang man your environments look a bit better but your game looks pretty comparable to a 5 year old game from a previous generation of consoles

Thats

Not super great

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Spotify playlist for the THPS5 soundtrack

And I don't know, I guess it's just me!

In that comparison, Skate 3 looks awful and that THPS5 screenshot looks pretty rad

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i really want this to be a thing i enjoy, but i don't know if it will be, even if it's super-faithful to the older games

i played the hell out of the first three THPS titles, and sank a good bit of time into the series all the way up to THUG

there's something of the fighting game in the way they play in that execution and timing are critical to scoring well, and just one mistake can be so costly

i loved that

will i still? i don't know, i haven't played any of them since THAW, which i wasn't particularly enamored with, and i sank hundreds of hours into the skate series which kind of changed what i want out of playing a game about skateboarding

i'll probably still get this near launch, i'm just so conflicteeeeed
    I honestly have no clue where the "this game looks bad" sentiment comes from

Even before the graphical change, but especially now
    0MNlPWQm.jpg

this looks like a preview screenshot for an early-gen ps3 game

i don't really give a shit about the graphics, as long as it runs completely hitch-free, but that's ugly even by the standards of way lower-profile games

the cel shading looks okay i suppose

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It looks like an HD version of the DS Tony Hawk Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykUWUWRiNU

I'm far more excited for Project Session.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    I'm far more excited for Project Session.
    the trailer for this looked cool until i heard the gameplay is on rails

a good chunk of the fun in these games is exploring

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It looks like an HD version of the DS Tony Hawk Games.

Indeed! I loved the style of those games

Even when American Wasteland was shitting it up on consoles, American Sk8land on DS was pretty damn rad

I kinda wish they'd make an HD version of the Advance games or something in that style, isometric skateboarding is rad as fuck

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I wish tony hawk 5 was as visually interesting as american sk8land

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Apparently there are plans to make Project Session open world after fan feedback.

I think Tony Hawk's combo driven system after adding reverts in 3 really helped bring vert skating back to the series, but I think that belies the fact that the whole thing is burdened by being chained to this quest for bigger combos that mean less and less over time. They had to add reverts to make vert skating, the thing Tony Hawk the person is famous for, a viable option. Meanwhile the inclusion of more ways to chain moves together just made the street skating, the part that's always had way more focus, a convoluted mess that doesn't even resemble skateboarding.

Basically if you're giving me a skateboarding game in 2015 centered around vast open levels and the goal isn't to be more like Gou Miyagi you fucked up at having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8dy4NIzBU

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is 100% not really a game about skateboarding, and that's the way I like it

Skate is pure boredom distilled, and checking up on Project Session, I see this quote from one of the devs:
    “no turbo timer, gazillions of combo multipliers and shit...entirely focused on creativity and freedom of expression, nothing else!”

Which to me reads like "no fun at all" with just a bit of pretentiousness tacked on at the end

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I don't know man. Tony Hawk's combo system is boring as fuck to me. It's just a series of systems for remembering really simple button combos and playing "keep this arrow in the middle of a bar". There's no challenge to anything, no creativity, and yeah you can come up with your own lines but it's ultimately just going to boil down to the path of least resistance which always happens to be a convenient and deliberate loop of literal rails.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really hope this is playable at PAX. I love THPS, but REALLY need to make sure it plays right before going all in.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    When is PAX? I look forward to impressions from forumers if it's playable there

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2015
    When is PAX? I look forward to impressions from forumers if it's playable there

When...is...PAX? That question is answered with one click on this site. Geez, Vow....

It's Aug 28-31, though.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They announced the soundtrack today
    Anti-Flag - “Stars and Stripes”
    Atmosphere - “Southsiders”
    Black Pistol Fire - “Hipster Shakes”
    Bully - “Milkman”
    Cloud Nothings - “I’m Not Part of Me”
    Cold Cave - “A Little Death to Laugh”
    Connie Price and the Keystones - “International Hustler”
    Crass Mammoth - “All 149”
    Deaf Poets - “Degenerate Mind”
    Death - "Keep On Knocking"
    Death From Above 1979 - "Virgins"
    Deer Mother - "When The Wolves Come Out"
    Doomtree - “Mini Brute"
    Fake P - “Rorschach”
    Family Force 5 -"Raised By Wolves"
    Four Year Strong -"Go Down In History"
    Harlan - "Moment To Myself"
    Hundred Visions - "Our Ritual"
    Hungry Hands - “Highline”
    Icon For Hire -"Cynics and Critics"
    Killer Be Killed -"Wings of Feather and Wax"
    New Politics -"Everywhere I Go"
    Plague Vendor - “Black Sap Scriptures”
    Ratatat -"Cream on Chrome"
    RattBlack - "Skate Rock"
    Royal Blood - "Little Monster"
    State Champs - "Secrets"
    Temples - "Shelter Song"
    The Orwells - "Who Needs You"
    The Schitzophonics - “Rat Trap”
    The Sheds - "Bad Things are Bad"
    Yogi & Skrillex - "Burial"

Outside of Death and Skrillex, I've heard of none of these bands, but that's okay, because if THPS games have proven anything, it's that they're good at exposing people to music they've never heard of and will grow to love

Black Pistol Fire (3rd listing down) are these guys (they open this set with Hipster Shakes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-fTAfE60s

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Two questions...

First have they announced a PC version?

Second, are any of the DS versions good? I have the need to get some portable Tony Hawk on.