As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

October is over but share your [Halloween] tricks and treats

tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush RangerSocial Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Trick-or-treat!
IMG_44481284883759.jpg

It is October now, so I officially feel slightly less weird about the fact that as a sculptor/mask maker/makeup kind of person, my Halloween usually starts in, oh, say, August.

IMG_324916751434063.jpeg

I am also lucky that my friends totally tolerate and sometimes even embrace my weird urge to make costumes.

Welcome fellow guisers, candy fiends, and ghastly ghouls!

DSC_0189.jpg

Do you need a costume suggestion for a work party/group get-together/what have you, a spooky avatar, a scary movie recommendation, cool ideas for trick-or-treaters, or just a place to show off your sweet costume you made?

Cool, rad, you should probably post here! Crowdsource that thang.

DSC_0200_edit_1443756463371.jpg

tapeslinger on

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh I can ask questions here? Sweet!

I want a really really nice red wizard cloak or robe. Maybe with a fancy belt.

Where can I find such apparel? I wouldn't mind purchasing something really nice first.

But eventually the question is: how do I make it?

I understand the basics of how to use a sewing machine and I have my lovely wife who would probably enjoy laughing at me while also teaching me more advanced techniques.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

Where can I find such apparel? I wouldn't mind purchasing something really nice first.

I understand the basics of how to use a sewing machine and I have my lovely wife who would probably enjoy laughing at me while also teaching me more advanced techniques.

So, there are definitely two ways to go about it, found or made, or a hybrid approach wherein found articles are modified to suit your needs.

The first rule of thumb if you think you want to make something is to try to find an approximate garment that exists in reality, via thrift shops or old stuff in the closet if possible. The draped robe on the Yellow King up there is a single tablecloth with a large hole for the head, and then at the shoulder it is folded into a robe that looks layered and then handpainted to continue the illusion of layered fabrics. The hood was a separate piece but could probably have been made from more of the same tablecloth.

There are definitely purchasable patterns for costume robes, but if you're an odd size or want something more custom, you'll need to go on your own. Custom patterns for robes are pretty simple to put together, even just from scrap fabric like the tablecloth idea. Especially if you are aiming for a wizard.

The important thing with that is length; ordinary bath robe is too short. Essentially you need a back piece slightly wider than your shoulder span and two front panels slightly wider than half the width of the back piece to get that drapey, open style. Two pieces slightly wider than the circumference of your arm and the length of your arm if you want sleeves. Etc.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This is what my fiancé and our friend are planning to do this year.
    Ns1sbJM.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to see if I can't whip up a Buffy the Vampire Slayer style vamp-face prosthetic.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Ahh I love halloween, sadly we don't see many trick or treaters. First year we were in our house my wife bought 80 bucks worth of candy and then brought home a pretty decent sized pumpkin for me to carve. Decided to do a skull on the pumpkin where the light shines through the thinned pumpkin skin, like the classy pro pumpkin jobs. I drew on the skull and get my trusty carving knife out.

I make one "cut" the blade slips free from the pumpkin and plunges right in my left wrist, right above some very important bits.

"That's not good" I remarked as blood pumped from the wound falling to the tile below. I grab my wrist as hard as I could and move over to the kitchen sink. "Ummmm Honey, can you come here for a sec"

My wife comes over.. shakes her head, unphased by the blood on the floor and the blood tha t is all over the sink. "Did it spurt out when you did it?" she asks I told her it did not which was apparent by the lack of blood on the ceiling. She examined the cut then grabbed a cloth and started to wrap it around my arm. Luckily for us her brother was in town staying with us for a bit so he took over candy distribution.

Hospital visit was quick, I get some stitches, remark how "Gnarly" the wound was as the doc poked around inside to make sure I didnt knick anything important, total time maybe an hour and a half.

We get back home hoping to have a near empty candy bowl and 99% of it is still in there.. we had 3 kids total, Oh and a 20 something couple.

Apparently kids in our hood go to the mall or something. Blasphemy.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

LzzXXnM.jpg

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My son is 2 so this is the first Halloween he will really understand. He is going to be spider man and we are going to a local amusement park for trick or treating and rides so that should be really fun. The problem is he doesn't eat candy and I don't want to get him started on eating it for no reason. Any suggestions? He will honestly probably just forget about the bag of candy the next day so it shouldn't be a big deal, I hope.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    My son is 2 so this is the first Halloween he will really understand. He is going to be spider man and we are going to a local amusement park for trick or treating and rides so that should be really fun. The problem is he doesn't eat candy and I don't want to get him started on eating it for no reason. Any suggestions? He will honestly probably just forget about the bag of candy the next day so it shouldn't be a big deal, I hope.
    He is 2, I am sure he will give no darns
    Maybe mum or dad holds the candy bag for safekeeping (my parents totally did this and I'm sure nothing ever went missing under their watchful gaze!)

Or you could say, oh, skfmoppet isn't a big candy eater and leave it at that

Most grownups won't be dicks about it; besides, who cares about candy when there are fun amusement park rides!

Important because it may come up:
    Do not use "food allergies" as a reason unless you HAVE a food allergy! This is a 100 percent seriously serious thing, and people who lie about food allergies are the reason no one takes them seriously enough.

• Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    I'm tempted to see if I can't whip up a Buffy the Vampire Slayer style vamp-face prosthetic.

That's some great anatomy practice with that deep forehead wrinkling and really dramatic nasolabial lines. Silicone would be rad for that.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I am tall and nearsighted and lazy so I ordered a shirt and a hat and I am being Waldo.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2015
    My plan this year is to go as a nonspecific grim reaper

I've described it in chat, but I intend to grab some nice black robes (as opposed to the tattered ones you sometimes see), dye my hair either black or dark purple, do full-on skull makeup, and carry a silver pocketwatch instead of a scythe.

I need to start getting stuff together for that and practice the makeup.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

So, there are definitely two ways to go about it, found or made, or a hybrid approach wherein found articles are modified to suit your needs.

The first rule of thumb if you think you want to make something is to try to find an approximate garment that exists in reality, via thrift shops or old stuff in the closet if possible. The draped robe on the Yellow King up there is a single tablecloth with a large hole for the head, and then at the shoulder it is folded into a robe that looks layered and then handpainted to continue the illusion of layered fabrics. The hood was a separate piece but could probably have been made from more of the same tablecloth.

There are definitely purchasable patterns for costume robes, but if you're an odd size or want something more custom, you'll need to go on your own. Custom patterns for robes are pretty simple to put together, even just from scrap fabric like the tablecloth idea. Especially if you are aiming for a wizard.

The important thing with that is length; ordinary bath robe is too short. Essentially you need a back piece slightly wider than your shoulder span and two front panels slightly wider than half the width of the back piece to get that drapey, open style. Two pieces slightly wider than the circumference of your arm and the length of your arm if you want sleeves. Etc.

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably do some shopping around for materials in the next week. Worst case scenario: I learn how to properly use a sewing machine. Hopeful case: I have a functioning wizard cloak of questionable quality.

• Options
    I bought a new wig for the same costume I did last year because last year's $6 "70s Dude" polyester nightmare itched like hell after I cut and styled it

I put on the new one last night and started to work on it because it also needs some shape help, and Nexus's input was "yeah, you need to mess it up more, it looks really mod right now"

Which I heard as "Maude" and was more than a little alarmed until he clarified

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    My plan this year is to go as a nonspecific grim reaper

I've described it in chat, but I intend to grab some nice black robes (as opposed to the tattered ones you sometimes see), dye my hair either black or dark purple, do full-on skull makeup, and carry a silver pocketwatch instead of a scythe.

I need to start getting stuff together for that and practice the makeup.
    @Shivahn you need to practice punning in all caps

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably do some shopping around for materials in the next week. Worst case scenario: I learn how to properly use a sewing machine. Hopeful case: I have a functioning wizard cloak of questionable quality.

@davidsdurions that is pretty much the best thing about Halloween, imo, is the opportunity to broaden the ol' skillset.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm dressing up as Casey Jones since my daughter is going as a Donatello but i'm having problems with the mask. There's no decent priced masks, cheapest I can find is like $60, and I'm worried that if I go with a standard plastic hockey mask it's going to read too much as Jason Voorhees instead of Casey Jones. My GF thinks that being with a ninja turtle will be a strong enough link, am I being too worried or should I try to paper-mache something up?

• Options
    I think a regular hockey mask would work, and if you can find a plain one you could put those vertical holes in it, or even just paint them on.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think a regular hockey mask would work, and if you can find a plain one you could put those vertical holes in it, or even just paint them on.

Good call. Quick perusal of Amazon shows some cheap masks that should be easyish to modify close enough to work. Thanks.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I hate Halloween with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Muggings go up 1000% in my neighborhood on Halloween.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    So, what's the general consensus on cosplay (as a relatively unknown-to-the-common-person character) for Halloween? I've started on a costume for a Power Rangers convention I'm going to (no spandex, I promise), and I don't know if I want to go all out twice in 2 weeks.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    This year I want to learn how to do crazy makeup and build a costume around the crazy.

Which all sounds very vague! Because it is! I love this time of year, but I never have very good costume ideas beyond "dress really fancy".

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I hate Halloween with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Muggings go up 1000% in my neighborhood on Halloween.

Maybe they should stop dressing like victims. (j/k)

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Delmain wrote: »
    So, what's the general consensus on cosplay (as a relatively unknown-to-the-common-person character) for Halloween? I've started on a costume for a Power Rangers convention I'm going to (no spandex, I promise), and I don't know if I want to go all out twice in 2 weeks.

Last year I was Alyx Vance

Literally two people recognized me

They were both like BYAH THIS IS AMAZING OMG :D

• Options
    Sorry Halloween sucks in your part of the world, silence.

@Delmain cosplay tbh usually has to be sturdier than something for Halloween and usually wearing a cosplay level costume on Halloween makes you look like one of the cool kids imo.

@Neco Oh cool! Do you have a general theme like a character in mind? It might help if you pick an open-ended category of a type of character for example. (like say, "sorceress" or something like that)

• Options

@Shivahn
    omg those kinds of costumes are the besssst

The year nexus and I did The Monarch and Dr Mrs., we had a few people who were like, so, you're moth people? But easily twice as many who stopped us during the parade route for pictures, saying "OH MY GOD IT'S THE MONARCH!!"

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

A Kimono might be a good start. If you can find one in dark enough color and in the right price range. Then maybe glue some stars on it. And either skip the belt or switch it to something more wizard like.
    This one might work -> http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Dragon-Pattern-Bathrobe-Waistband/dp/B00ZHGRMLM/ref=sr_1_49?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1443978600&sr=1-49&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=kimono

Siska on
  • Options
    Siska wrote: »

A Kimono might be a good start. If you can find one in dark enough color and in the right price range. Then maybe glue some stars on it. And either skip the belt or switch it to something more wizard like.
    This one might work -> http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Dragon-Pattern-Bathrobe-Waistband/dp/B00ZHGRMLM/ref=sr_1_49?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1443978600&sr=1-49&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=kimono

Not a bad idea!

• Options
    Hey @Shivahn I never emailed you like I said I would SORRY OMG

Here are some skull makeup ideas. IIRC you didn't want to do full on sugar skull? Something more subtle? You could try doing some extreme contouring of the cheeks, plus dark black eyes.

0a8431ec26c74dbd96df001df6469064.jpg

If you are interested in sugar skull, you could do a half mask

img_5470.jpg?w=740&h=493
    or
    makeup-portion-sugar-skull-halloween-tutorial_1789962.jpg

• Options
    Yes! I am ok with some of the sugar skull aesthetic - I think ideally I want teeth drawn on instead of lipstick, but not the webbing or super elaborate stuff.

I think that first photo is the general style I want, though I think I would do some modifications. Hrm. I really need to get to finishing this plan.

• Options
    maybe something simple on the lips like this

3.jpg?w=560&h=840

trying to keep it not too elaborate :)

you could probably do this exact same look and with a little care it would look better than hers

• Options
    That's almost exactly what I'm looking for, SiG <3

A little elaborateness is ok, I just don't want like WEBBING or SEQUINS or whatever. I think what she has going there is pretty good, though I'd probably want to do my face all white instead of skin toned, and I'm considering using a dark purple instead of black for the eyes and maybe nose and cheek.

• Options
    One thing which might not be super obvious:
    Reference photos of real skulls! I'm on mobile right now but to avoid looking too cartoony, skull photos will give you a different source of information that you won't get elsewhere

• Options
    Oh, as long as I'm here, what kind of things should I be buying in terms of makeup?

I have very little experience in even "normal" makeup, and none in stuff designed to to like this, so some help is needed.

• Options
    Depends on how long you'll need to wear it. I personally avoid grease paint and while it's expensive my preference is alcohol-based makeup like Skin Illustrator for long-wearing stuff with relatively easy cleanup.

Daily wear cosmetics may also be worth a look, especially dark eyeliners with waterproof bases for the outlining. My favorite eyeshadow comes from Sugarpill, but they're predominantly mail order so not as likely a makeup-counter buy. Kryolan is also a pretty great stage makeup company; you can get their stuff through Alcone I think. If you are stuck haunting the aisles at Sephora and can't wait for a mail order, Make Up For Ever is excellent stuff with wide range of colors and possibilities and widely regarded for theatrical makeup stuff.

You'll want to experiment with makeup primer if you are planning an all-day all-night ghoul fest.

This is a starting point, I'm sure lots of other people have suggestions too. (again, phone post while I'm working on something else so less detailed than I might want to be)

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh also, when looking at photos of other people's makeup looks, lots of times they'll list the products they used and some will even show tutorials or write little reviews of the makeup so if you find something you really like, check to see if there's more information available!

For example: my Death look from my avatar is: Sugarpill pressed eyeshadow in Tako (flat translucent white), lightly brushed everywhere to cool and lighten skin tone
    Kat Von D waterproof liquid eyeliner from Sephora in whatever makeup company name they used for their matte black
    Urban Decay shadow in Shattered, for lids, corners, and a sheen over the Eye of Horus motif

Oh, and lip color is Styletto from Limecrime with a smudge of Retrofuturist, because I like how long their color lasts, but any black lipstick would do the job. (not that you need it, but Limecrime makes some cool stuff so a shout out to them)

tapeslinger on
  • Options

Excellent, I think in gonna go for it.

Though I literally expect no one to know who I am, and I'll be in NYC

• Options

Excellent, I think in gonna go for it.

Though I literally expect no one to know who I am, and I'll be in NYC

If it looks cool no one will care that they don't know what it is
    @No-Quarter and his King in Yellow got plenty of attention even though it's not like something mainstream

• Options
    Oh, it won't look nearly that cool. Ask nexus, he is firmly aware of how incapable I am of appearing cool.

• Options
    To be fair, I was talking about the costume itself
    But cmon, it's not that bad