As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fashion] Turn to the left! [Fashion] Turn to the right!

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So tomorrow I'm attending my second ever professional conference and I was planning on wearing a variation on that first outfit I posted... But I'm having some like... Imposter syndrome related nerves. I want to be taken seriously, but I don't want to be not-myself. Anyone used to the STEM workplace lifestyle have any input here? I guess I feel like if I dress like I normally do I'm not flashing enough nerd cred. I don't give two shits about "proving myself" at PAX, but this is for work...

You're a woman in STEM: asshole nerds are going to look for any little reason to brush you off/not take you seriously, so I say dress how you wanna and own your professional accomplishments like the kickass business lady that you are.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I say you dress exactly like Steve Jobs.

Black pants with an equally black turtle-neck.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2016
    So tomorrow I'm attending my second ever professional conference and I was planning on wearing a variation on that first outfit I posted... But I'm having some like... Imposter syndrome related nerves. I want to be taken seriously, but I don't want to be not-myself. Anyone used to the STEM workplace lifestyle have any input here? I guess I feel like if I dress like I normally do I'm not flashing enough nerd cred. I don't give two shits about "proving myself" at PAX, but this is for work...

Ah...ok, so, hacksaw is not wrong, but actual advice
    - suits or the female equivalent scare the crap out of engineers and academics, but will enable you to blend in with corporate types HOWEVER
    - if you look too glam and too corporate people will think you're a booth babe and not take you seriously
    - If you want to look like a student or a professional nerd go with jeans and wev
    - If you want to look like a student or a junior PR type go with a floral skirt and flats
    - If you want to scare absolutely everyone, wear heels.

Basically it depends on the conference, and why you're at it. And why you want people to think that you're at it! Suit up and you'll be assumed to be on the business/PR end. Dress down and you'll be assumed to be on the technical side/back end (or a student or intern). Me, I like to mix it up, keep people guessing. But don't stress about them not taking you seriously. 50% will be scared of you just cause you have boobs. Of those that remain, the ones that underestimate you are the ones you can destroy most easily.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh, forgot the killer look. Jeans, heels and a good button up with a leather jacket will cover all bases AND make you look like a senior female coder too badass to give the time of day to little men.

Edit: sub in leather skirt and no jacket for warmer weather.

Basically I have a Trojan horse approach to conferences and generally enjoy undercover work. If your mission is not to infiltrate, interrogate, and destroy, then you may want a different approach.

tynic on
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I say you dress exactly like Steve Jobs.

Black pants with an equally black turtle-neck.

This would actually be a rocking look, especially with some killer boots. I say do it.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I uhh

I don't really DO pants

I mean I own one pair of barely worn jeans but it's a running joke when I show up wearing pants of any kind? And my leather skirt is Not Work Or Daytime Appropriate.

Also more importantly I'm biking to this conference and although the high tomorrow is only 71, it's... You know. Not turtleneck and leather jacket weather.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I uhh

I don't really DO pants

I mean I own one pair of barely worn jeans but it's a running joke when I show up wearing pants of any kind? And my leather skirt is Not Work Or Daytime Appropriate.

Also more importantly I'm biking to this conference and although the high tomorrow is only 71, it's... You know. Not turtleneck and leather jacket weather.

Out of the two you posted? I'd go option 1. It's unclassifiable and badass. But both would work honestly. The main thing you want to avoid is being pigeonholed as corporate eye candy, so just stay out of grey pinstripe and you'll be good.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I will put on the jeans I own tonight maybe just to be like "oh right, these are pants"

But pants are AWFUL

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i can only assume standard STEM field attire is a labcoat, elbow-length gloves, and goggles

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
  • Options
    except I will post Actually Me from today because today things were purple as fuck

3rj7rlo1tp4s.jpg

if2429fwspvl.jpg

including the shoes

457ng5m9h1xv.jpg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Purple is good. Scarfs is also good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Adorbs!

Also, oh ho ho ho scarf weather.

I've already gotten a couple of mild sunburns this year.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Adorbs!

Also, oh ho ho ho scarf weather.

I've already gotten a couple of mild sunburns this year.

don't

just don't

i'm gonna cry

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    To be honest I dress the same if it's for work work, or if it's for a conference/trade show; I might wear a blazer if I want to go over-the-top dressed up, but like...

My recommendation is to wear whatever makes you confident in yourself. I mean, I'm not necessarily advocating like, a neckline that goes down to your navel, but if you've got an outfit that probably suits the style of conference you're going to that also lets you feel like a certifiable badass, go with that. I stopped caring what my STEM coworkers thought about my outfits a long time ago, and it's generally better for the attitude I take when I'm networking to feel like I'm on my A-game in terms of makeup and clothes.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I got a very nice spot bonus at work, and I was going to put it into savings, and then... I did a shop! Oops oops.

rwEC4Qql.jpg

New skirt!

F257YyIl.jpg

New silk dress!

I also got a mess of jewelry, but no pics yet

Love the dress and the sandals are super cute.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    yeah that second dress especially and the whole look there is all killer

• Options
    Holy hell

I felt alright about my outfit this morning. Unfortunately I'm apparently terminally allergic to something that is BLOWING UP today and my eyes and nose won't stop running, and I'm sneezing constantly.

This conference is going to be a misery.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    New look: Darth Vader mask.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Holy hell

I felt alright about my outfit this morning. Unfortunately I'm apparently terminally allergic to something that is BLOWING UP today and my eyes and nose won't stop running, and I'm sneezing constantly.

This conference is going to be a misery.

May I recommend a practical solution?

300x336xhay-fever.png.pagespeed.ic_.emVflqkyHn.png

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    oh yeah i got this last weekish, and i know part of my immediate response to it is a resemblance to tribal wear
    hHIfeXL.jpg

it is still funny/annoying to me that i can consistently find flattering clothes in the maternity section several sizes down from the regular lines, 'cause according to retail availability, pregnancy grants instant ~~boobs! ... no bras to accommodate a small back, large cup, though (just referring to Target, here.) i still retain hippie sensibilities, so the whole earth mother look is in my wheelhouse, but it would be nice to encounter a buttondown that doesn't gap.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    @Lost Salient aagh I love your style, everything you've posted is absolutely killer!

Meanwhile, someone should take away my credit card when I'm stressed out. I spent $50 on an icebreaker merino wool long sleeved shirt for my upcoming thailand trip, and then impulse bought $60 black yoga leggings. And now I might buy these for Thailand trip too.

http://m.athleta.gap.com/product.html?dn=ap537357052&dv=0&shopid=4&pdn=ac1025878&outlet=false#

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ...those look mad good for traveling, bits. I dunno.

And everybody needs yoga pants.

(I'm the worst influence.)

Also update: the conference is actually really great, and informative, and after an hour spent biking around trying to find a pharmacy at lunch I managed to buy some Claritin-D. Now I'm back home with my trusty best friend, Mr. Tissue Box, and his sidekick Neti Pot. Here's hoping whatever is causing my whooole Face Situation is gone by morning so I can actually enjoy myself and do happy hour with some DevOps folks tomorrow.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm totally buying them. i justified the yoga pants by telling myself they'll be my long Thailand layer and I'll wear them on the plane. This trip is getting expensive!

Hope your allergy situation resolves itself soon!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    i dunno, those look like pretty good shorts, especially for travel in a sweaty locale.

the yoga leggings might have been too much, but i'm gonna guess all these items will be useful to you.

go see if they've got it in-store, check for coupons, discounts...

i painted my nails last night, and a lady at the vet complimented the color. yessss validation
    China Glaze Bend Over Backwards, glowy red that leans a touch to way orange, maybe vice versa

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Seriously, I routinely bring a cardigan/hoodie and yoga pants for overseas flights! That is totally legit!

Because looking nice at check-in and security can get you upgrades, but fuck being uncomfortable and cold as hell on the flight itself.

When do you leave for Thailand?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait
    Can looking nice at security get me an upgrade?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Security? Fuck no.

Check a bag and maybe the person at the counter could help you out. Or the gate attendant if you have reason to interact with them.

One of the myriad of reasons it always pays to be nice to people and look like you're not homeless.

• Options
    Without any actual concrete evidence to support this, I feel like it totally helps get you through the checkpoints quickly and efficiently and without getting tapped for those supposedly-random searches.

I am 100% fine with gaming the system, here.

Or maybe it's just a lil placebo I tell myself.

But it totally helps when you're asking if there's a possibility for an upgrade to a better seat. I stand by that statement.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I used a gift card for most of the yoga pants! I was going to use it for something with slightly more utility, but I do love yoga pants. I'll post everything when I get it!

• Options
    Seriously, I routinely bring a cardigan/hoodie and yoga pants for overseas flights! That is totally legit!

Because looking nice at check-in and security can get you upgrades, but fuck being uncomfortable and cold as hell on the flight itself.

When do you leave for Thailand?

July 2! I'll be there through July 19. Maybe I'll go earlier if I ragequit my job in June!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait

I mean, I was dressed as the Christian devil and I was rewarded with an old wooden rocking chair at my gate.

So, maybe?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think looking nice will absolutely get you through security more reliably, I would be shocked if the TSA rent-a-cops were not even worse about profiling than real police are.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait

Graham you probably haven't noticed because you always look nice, so that's just the baseline level of treatment you get from people.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited May 2016
    for the record, looking like you're half-dead, with a wrist-brace (and, as always, being polite) can also net you some helpful attention from gate crew.
    i was asked if i wanted a wheelchair to meet me on landing for my connection, and she let me board before or with first class.

i had some kinda upper respiratory thing. i thought i was coping, but apparently, i looked like shit -- she was very sympathetic to my pitiful state, and must have put a note in there for people to keep an eye out for me. or i looked enough like hell to instill empathy in all who witnessed me that day, 'cause the next gate crew was also nice. that trip was real shit for travel; multiple delays, every leg, both ways. i did take the wheelchair at one point.

i also wore a facemask so i didn't get dried out, but with a scarf on top of that to avoid wigging people out. sick fashion. B)

though, other than feeling like trash, i was wearing nice jeans and my moccs. so my outfit was probably decent travel-chic.

Tito, i think you could rock those! the white black
    no you don't know colors!
    moreso. but white would be best!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular

Is this east coast or west coast?

If it's more west coast, really wear whatever you want. You will see a wide variety of attire in west coast STEM workplaces.

For more east coast, I guess you should err on the side of more professional and formal. (For the rest of the country I am not sure, sorry rest of the country!)

Honestly though for a conference, I would say it depends more on what your goals are for the conference. Is mostly just to learn? Or to check out potential vendors/technologies? In that case I really would not worry and just wear what you are comfortable in.

If it is to mainly to get a new job or to find potential clients, then treat it like going to an interview and research the companies you are interested in. Make an educated guess on the appropriate level of professional attire those companies would appreciate and wear on that level.

I am sure that whatever your goals and whatever you wear, you will impress people on the professional level and with your fashion sense.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    It's a small DevOps conference here in Austin, TX. I went for "Wanna fight?" as my driving outfit principle and I'd say uhhh, 99% of the other people there were wearing t-shirts or polos, often branded with their company logos, or nerd in-jokes, so my outfit was both wayyy fashionable and clearly Not Corporate.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm imagining a greaser walking into the chess club now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    @bowtiedseal ya gotta save your money

cos you'll need it so you can spend it all on thai food

also, bring some back for the rest of us

uc3ufTB.png
This discussion has been closed.