As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Straightzi is the Settings Whisperer in the [Tabletop Thread]

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I hope I can convince our players to let me run a Mage game, I have a pretty cool idea for a storyline starting with a new kind of street drug that seems to have some vampire blood mixed into it, causing a massive weird high, but a small percentage of people turn vampire off it or go crazy or die. Some Vampire clans are looking into but coming up with nothing. A small group of Vamps have approached whatever group they decide to align with and asked them to help, unofficially, since this might lead to the masquerade being breached. While I don't think Mages and Vampires usually interact much, I think theres enough space with this idea to let me have them interact with all kinds of stuff from the WoD

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    What is everyone's thoughts on buying adventure modules?

I haven't bought any of the adventures for the Star Wars RPG yet..

On one hand, I'm a notorious completionist (*stares at Red Dragon Inn*)
    On the other hand, for $30 I don't think you get much...
    On the other other hand, there is stuff in the adventures that isn't present in the main splat books...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Athenor wrote: »

It's a great idea a) if the adventure is good and b) you think you can use it and it is a better idea if c) you are new to the game and could use some help getting a sense of how the designers indend the system to flow in actual play

as far as that goes, I think some of the Star Wars ones are supposed to be pretty good and then there is one or two that are allegedly kind of weak but I don't know what is what since I haven't read them

but I would strongly advise against getting one that you don't plan to use just for completion's sake. I think the ones that have unique rules additions (mass combat etc) those rules have been transcribed in various places on the internet and will probably show up in sourcebooks at a later date anyway

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I hope I can convince our players to let me run a Mage game, I have a pretty cool idea for a storyline starting with a new kind of street drug that seems to have some vampire blood mixed into it, causing a massive weird high, but a small percentage of people turn vampire off it or go crazy or die. Some Vampire clans are looking into but coming up with nothing. A small group of Vamps have approached whatever group they decide to align with and asked them to help, unofficially, since this might lead to the masquerade being breached. While I don't think Mages and Vampires usually interact much, I think theres enough space with this idea to let me have them interact with all kinds of stuff from the WoD

This is a pretty good hook. The only trip up I see is based on the vamp population of the area. Too few and it becomes "run down each vamp and "interview" about the situation." Too many vamps and it turns into "holy shit this city is infested with vampires!"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like adventure modules for more mechanically heavy systems, though it depends on the particular system/company if they are worth the cash. I generally spend a ton of time tweaking them thematically and story line wise for my groups, and of course allow my players to diverge from them over the course of gameplay.

But I do like them giving me a bunch of stat lines and game mechanics and a generally well developed adventure seed to work with.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I liked what WW was doing for a while with their setting books. They'd give you the history of the supernatural in a city/area, as well as some NPCs and plot hooks/ideas.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah me too

I rarely if ever run adventures because I tend to find them too constrained. Also I like to write my own. I may take inspiration from them, however.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

On the other other hand, there is stuff in the adventures that isn't present in the main splat books...

I am generally a fan of adventures, but I generally hack them apart as opposed to running as is. I often find that they have an interesting overall frame, but the details either need work or are too railroady. Alternatively, some are a good source of set pieces or rules extensions, but need more cohesive motivations for all the hubbub.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    What I'd like to see is more pre-packaged sandboxes - just give me a sector of space, or a region of a fantasy land, populate it with interesting people and with various impending conflicts that are all about to come to a boil at the moment the PCs arrive, and then just let me at it. That's one thing some of the really old D&D adventures got right, like Keep on the Borderlands. I would happily run Keep on the Borderlands right now with a halfway decent ruleset (4e, 5e, 13th Age, Strike! or Dungeon World)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    What I'd like to see is more pre-packaged sandboxes - just give me a sector of space, or a region of a fantasy land, populate it with interesting people and with various impending conflicts that are all about to come to a boil at the moment the PCs arrive, and then just let me at it. That's one thing some of the really old D&D adventures got right, like Keep on the Borderlands. I would happily run Keep on the Borderlands right now with a halfway decent ruleset (4e, 5e, 13th Age, Strike! or Dungeon World)

Wizards published some nice $10-$15 staple-bound sandboxes for 4e where they were detailed descriptions of specific interesting places you could set adventures in.

Fantasy Flight is doing some good work with Star Wars books collecting planets around various themes, and including stuff in each of their class splatbooks for DMs for how to craft adventures tailored towards players of that specific class, though of course those tips can be expanded out to create party story arcs.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The FFG setting books are fantastic. I like official published adventures, because they serve as good examples and can help some GM's, but the 2-4 page modular adventures that appear in the Star Wars setting books are useful to a wider variety of GMs

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I really can't sing the praises of the class splatbooks enough. Back when the FFG SW line was starting off I wasn't sure if I was going to get more than one or two of them... and now I plan on getting them all.

They are simply so full of wonderful fluffy information for players and DMs alike.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    They have some of my favorite options in RPGs ever, like the one in the Explorer book that lets you spend 2 destiny points once per session to discover a new ancient ruin.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Black, red and yellow is a great colour combo for mechs, space marines and such
    marvel-now-iron-man-vote-tumblr_m9mg5lhhqh1qc63ooo1_1280.jpg-279513d1391007740
    And Iron Mans

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

WotC got fairly close to this with Madness at Gardmore Abbey more recently.

I like modules if they present interesting locales/setups, or elucidate on a part of the gaming world that fascinates me. But as always, it's best if you tweak and twist them to suit your players and the story you want to tell, rather than the other way around.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Looks like my Ars Magica group is set for the 30th (hooray for public holidays). Two of the guys have started thinking of their back stories already; one's from Marrakesh and grew up on the Silk Road trading route, and one was born in a covenant in the Black Forest but was sent for pre-apprenticeship training to Damascus. So far, they're unwittingly fitting their characters into suitable backgrounds for my skeleton plot, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    They have some of my favorite options in RPGs ever, like the one in the Explorer book that lets you spend 2 destiny points once per session to discover a new ancient ruin.

I wish I could play in a SW campaign long enough for players to actually get to the point where they'd be able to acquire Signature Talents.

I love that the Explorer book basically says "Do you want to do Indiana Jones or The Mummy... In Space?"

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I wish I could play in a SW campaign long enough for players to actually get to the point where they'd be able to acquire Signature Talents.

I love that the Explorer book basically says "Do you want to do Indiana Jones or The Mummy... In Space?"

The Mummy in Space could be such a Star Wars thing, I almost need it in my veins this moment. Hell, after being such a dastard in Crush the Rebellion, needing something a bit more light out of a Star Wars game would be an appreciable change of pace.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I seem to recall that one of the Star Wars comics actually had an undead Sith Lord named Darth Mum'ee or some shit

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

If you think you will be able to glean awesome ideas out of them, they're worth it. But it's like planning out adventures beforehand...probably wasting your time because player actions, solutions, and insanity are simply not worth trying to predict.

If more adventure modules were like "here's an outline of what to do, plus these 16-24 pre-generated encounters you can shoe-horn into any game, a whole bunch of neat lore and some new locales" I'd be more interested in them on the whole, I think.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think adventure modules have a place, I've been in groups at cons or my weekly LCS that used premade modules and it worked really great. For pick up games their nice to just grab and play. But when I run a game I like writing my own stuff.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I think adventure modules have a place, I've been in groups at cons or my weekly LCS that used premade modules and it worked really great. For pick up games their nice to just grab and play. But when I run a game I like writing my own stuff.

There is a certain assumption at a pick up game like you'd get at an LGS or a Con that as a player "You Will Play Along". Which is the only way you can have similar experiences between tables and make it work in tightly defined time schedules.

That'd be a really weird attitude in a home game.
    Ardent wrote: »
    If more adventure modules were like "here's an outline of what to do, plus these 16-24 pre-generated encounters you can shoe-horn into any game, a whole bunch of neat lore and some new locales" I'd be more interested in them on the whole, I think.

Sorta like these. Which for a crunchy game where map and abilities working together is important makes a bunch of sense. Here's some encounters and maps, throw what pretty story around it works for your players.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Sorta like these. Which for a crunchy game where map and abilities working together is important makes a bunch of sense. Here's some encounters and maps, throw what pretty story around it works for your players.
    Yep. Bill Slavicsek is one of the best RPG developers when it comes to keeping an eye to minimizing prep time for the person running the game, who already is investing time in trying to provide the framework to tell a fun story and filling in the holes in said story.

13th Age's Eyes of the Stone Thief is basically 350 pages of moving pieces you can string together into a larger campaign arc, install separately wherever you want in your game, or simply take small pieces of to use. I'm confused as to why people keep insisting on calling it a megadungeon. It can certainly be used that way, but it was designed with an eye to that not really being the case because that's virtually never how these things go down.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I seem to recall that one of the Star Wars comics actually had an undead Sith Lord named Darth Mum'ee or some shit

Darth Andeddu (UNDEAD-OOOOO). Dude was basically Skeletor in a pharaoh hat. He's my standby example of why it's not actually unambiguously tragic that the EU has been scrubbed.

It takes a lot of work for your Official Badguy Name to stand out as especially hamfisted among such contemporaries as Tyranus, Bane, Plagueis, and Maul.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Yep. Bill Slavicsek is one of the best RPG developers when it comes to keeping an eye to minimizing prep time for the person running the game, who already is investing time in trying to provide the framework to tell a fun story and filling in the holes in said story.

13th Age's Eyes of the Stone Thief is basically 350 pages of moving pieces you can string together into a larger campaign arc, install separately wherever you want in your game, or simply take small pieces of to use. I'm confused as to why people keep insisting on calling it a megadungeon. It can certainly be used that way, but it was designed with an eye to that not really being the case because that's virtually never how these things go down.

yea I'm using eyes of the stone thief right now and the way I'm using it is 3 big encounters with the stone thief and 2 adventures outside of it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, Bill Slavicsek's foreword to an old Star Wars anthology is what got me into roleplaying. That man has a way of making games sound like magic and fairy dust and if I can even do half as much justice as he does with his material, then I feel like I'm doing all right.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, Bill Slavicsek's foreword to an old Star Wars anthology is what got me into roleplaying. That man has a way of making games sound like magic and fairy dust and if I can even do half as much justice as he does with his material, then I feel like I'm doing all right.
    I am continually sad that they canned him at Wizards (after 4e, natch, sacrificial lamb) and I really feel like all we get now is children aping his greatness and the results speak for themselves.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I mean, they canned everyone at Wizards except like Mearls. Wizards isn't really an RPG creator anymore, they just hire freelance folks or actual RPG companies and let them use their brand name.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It can definitely be done (paging DE?AD), but it is super difficult

In theory I tend to prefer the sort of thing that like, Shadowrun or WoD does instead of straight hit points

But I also spent most of Monday unable to do anything in Shadowrun because I was in such a bad death spiral, so those systems certainly aren't perfect (and, at a certain point, are still a sort of hit points)

I was actually talking to a coworker about something like this the other day.

Well, we were talking about how to do high-lethality, "realistic," combat, but the HP-less thing got wrapped up in it.

A really easy fix for systems with a heavy emphasis on (and thus a need for highly mechanically variable) equipment, like D&D and Shadowrun, would be to replace HP with thresholds.

So you'd have a Wound Threshold of, say 10, a Death Threshold of 20. Maybe throw a Shaken Threshold of 5 or something. You'd roll damage as normal, but anything beneath your Threshold just doesn't do anything. If damage meets or exceeds your Wound Threshold, you take some sort of disadvantage (which might even decrease your Death/Wound Thresholds). Could tie that into a random table of various wounds you could take. Surpass your Death Threshold and it's over. The Shaken Threshold could be used to model glancing blows that get too close for comfort.

This also gives you the ability to tie gear into different Thresholds. Something like a ballistic vest, designed to keep you alive but unable to fully stop the impact, could increase your Death Threshold but not your Wound Threshold to model that. A necromancer's Death Blast might only work if it surpasses Death Threshold but its damage is never compared to other Thresholds, giving it a binary kill/don't kill effect.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    You could (not that you necessarily should) also extrapolate that out further

A bulletproof vest is good at ballistic damage, but it doesn't do as much against a knife, for instance

So if you want to get really granular, if you're one of those people who is into that

You could have, for instance:

Ballistic Wound Threshold
    Slashing Wound Threshold
    Piercing Wound Threshold
    Blunt Wound Threshold

Each of those would have its own wound tables that you could roll against, even

And, if you so desired, you could split the death threshold in the same ways

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    You totally could.

You could also make Thresholds a basic part of the resolution mechanic, and replace pretty much any save with them. Then all rolls would have a "damage" component to them which notes how powerful they are once you succeed in applying them. Poison Resistance as a Threshold, Will as a Threshold, etc.

The system we were spit-balling was based around a single-die multi-check situation. So you'd have your check to succeed, but some actions would require up to three successes to actually pass. Using only one die to increase tension, you'd keep rolling hoping you'd pass for each, and the cumulative result would be the "damage" of the action.

Which also meant that the harder an action the more likely it would surpass the target's Threshold.

Obviously needs work, but I thought it was neat.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hmm, so like, every successful roll is an exploding die? So you'd be rolling a d20 to hit (AC 10), and if you succeed there, a d20 to hurt (AC 15), and if you succeed there, a d20 to kill (AC 20)? I like it, although it's definitely kind of swingy (which is, I believe, part of the goal).

Were you thinking all around a single die, or diversified dice? I feel like diversified dice could do some really cool stuff, potentially.

Like, say, for instance, you have a character with Strength d10. For most weapons, they roll a d10 to hit AC. And then a basic sword, for instance, will be damage d8 and death d8. Making your total stat d10/d8/d8 (obviously these are different thresholds than the bullshit I made up for my previous example.

But you could also use a spear which has a +1 enhancement to your to hit, giving you a d12 there, but only does d6 damage. It still has d8 death though, so you end up at d12/d6/d8.

Or, maybe you're using a quarterstaff, which is d10/d8/d4, to represent the fact that you're less likely to be fully killed from blunt damage.

Obviously you could do all of this with a variety of pluses and minuses to your d20s too, but I tend to prefer weird diversified dice for some reason.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    One way to make combat interesting is to make actually dealing damage a specific kind of attack you need to set up with other forms of attack

That's how Ex3 does it and it's the basis for a really exciting combat system actually

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    One way to make combat interesting is to make actually dealing damage a specific kind of attack you need to set up with other forms of attack

That's how Ex3 does it and it's the basis for a really exciting combat system actually

The Withering/Decisive setup is straight brilliant.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    dang I know nobody probably gives much of a shit about heroclix anymore but they're making a ninja turtles set, which would have been super rad news to me like.......probably ten years ago, when I was downloading someone's excel spreadsheet to work out how to design my own

I mean, I think it's been a good four years since I've actively wanted to play, but it's kind of neat to see them finally get those characters in the game

• Options
    dang I know nobody probably gives much of a shit about heroclix anymore but they're making a ninja turtles set, which would have been super rad news to me like.......probably ten years ago, when I was downloading someone's excel spreadsheet to work out how to design my own

I mean, I think it's been a good four years since I've actively wanted to play, but it's kind of neat to see them finally get those characters in the game

I fucking loved heroclix back in the day

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I fucking loved heroclix back in the day

they've done some really cool stuff with it since the early days, like...I don't know how well balanced it is, but they've added some neat interpretations of powers and stuff, and their organized play stuff is legitimately neat, like...they've started doing comic book events, basically, like infinity gauntlet, where each week you get a new themed thing for showing up (like a different infinity gem), and...it's neat!

but I'm well past the point where I can justify buying that stuff, and I really don't like going into gaming stores to play games, so I'm mostly just checking in, occasionally. I've got a John C. Reilly heroclix, though, so I'm pretty much at the peak of what I could do with the game anyways

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    my brother loves heroclix and tmnt, and he's in heaven with this announcement

which is to say he's been IMing me elaborate notes on how to string together multiple scenarios into a narrative tmnt crossover campaign

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Shadowrun already does low hp with modifiers (of course it is shadowrun modifiers for days) for every 2hp lost I believe.

I liked the d20 star wars solution of essentially having 2 pools of hp, the first being your "heroes luck" and essentially represents near misses, scrapes and flesh wounds. If that runs out you get hurt for real and it'll impact you and healing isn't so easy. That also allows for quick mook killing.

Rogue Trader had the really cool crit table where as you got into negative hp (and you didn't have a lot) you'd get more and more disfigured before dieing somewhere between -5 and -9

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    After playing a second game of X-Wing, this time with the full rules, this game is pretty radical.

I'm not quite sure what to do with when my flight path intersects with another ship, though. Like, I understand the rules for resolving that, but how do I even lay down the guide to begin with? Just gently place the other ship on top?

This discussion has been closed.