As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republican Primary Continues to Happen

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    ...somewhere in sands of the desert
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds...

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Matt Walsh threw this massive temper tantrum:
    Goodbye, Republican Party.

I mean that in more ways than one. I’m leaving. You’re dying. I could stick around while you gasp your last pitiful breaths, but what would be the point? I’m certainly more pro-life than you ever were, but when it comes to political parties that have been overtaken by some kind of unintelligible, socially liberal populism, I say pull the plug.
    He goes on an on, but the center can be put around here:
    Many conservatives have told me they “hate Trump” but “hate Clinton more,” or words to that effect. Last night, a good number of them condemned me in no uncertain terms for daring to do anything but fall in line behind Trump and his party. “Lesser of two evils,” they cried. “If you don’t vote for Trump, you vote for Hillary,” they insisted. And they were wrong and will continue to be wrong on both counts.

What these people have not been able to do is explain, in clear and rational language, why they think Trump would be superior to Clinton. Reminding me that Clinton is awful doesn’t help. I’m aware, thank you. My contention is that Trump is awful in equal measure. I think the facts are on my side: They’re both elitist progressives. Both pathological liars. Both morally bankrupt. Both narcissists. Both entirely unconcerned about the issues and willing to take whatever position assures them more power. Both Statist. Both authoritarian. Both tyrants, the only difference is that Trump actually ran on a platform of tyranny – promising to murder women and children and squash dissent. etc. – whereas Clinton has to pretend she’s not a tyrant. That means Trump will have a mandate for tyranny that Clinton will, much to her chagrin, not be granted.

These two could not be more identical. That’s why they were such good friends. For God’s sake they’ll both be under investigation for crimes during the general election. Clinton for her email scandal and Trump for financial fraud. It’s like they’re fraternal twins or something. It would almost be kind of cute if they weren’t harbingers of national doom.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah that Trump.

And his... progressivism.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2016
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    The VP question is fascinating to me. He could pick basically ANYONE at this point. Maybe a governor/senator. Maybe a CEO. Maybe a woman. Maybe a minority. Maybe Schwarzenegger even though hes not eligible. Maybe someone in his own family. Maybe someone from the Apprentice. I cant rule out any of these possibilities because its Trump and I cant predict anything that he does in this campaign.

Honestly if he could get Marco Rubio, he'd be the best VP he could get. Might help in Florida. Some stabling meant cred. Even if it doesn't help with Hispanics, it might help him look like less of a bigoted shit

Shame he was such a dick to Rubio. Burned that bridge!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I do enjoy the idea that a tyrannical candidate can't get their tyranny on if they don't get a voter mandate for it.

"I could have shut down the presses and jailed those troublemakers if it wasn't for you meddling voters!"

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    edit: wrong thread

override367 on
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    the final is worth 55% of the course grade in this class

i am le nervous

you gotta trump that test.

just the best answers. all the best answers. you don't even know how good those answers are, they're so good.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    The VP question is fascinating to me. He could pick basically ANYONE at this point. Maybe a governor/senator. Maybe a CEO. Maybe a woman. Maybe a minority. Maybe Schwarzenegger even though hes not eligible. Maybe someone in his own family. Maybe someone from the Apprentice. I cant rule out any of these possibilities because its Trump and I cant predict anything that he does in this campaign.

Honestly if he could get Marco Rubio, he'd be the best VP he could get. Might help in Florida. Some stabling meant cred. Even if it doesn't help with Hispanics, it might help him look like less of a bigoted shit

didn't Trump absolutely trounce Rubio in Florida? i think the only help Rubio could give at this point is agreeing not to campaign there at all.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I don't think Rubio would help that much in Florida. If you're looking for electoral help from a VP candidate, then best pick one people like.

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Matt Walsh threw this massive temper tantrum:
    Goodbye, Republican Party.

I mean that in more ways than one. I’m leaving. You’re dying. I could stick around while you gasp your last pitiful breaths, but what would be the point? I’m certainly more pro-life than you ever were, but when it comes to political parties that have been overtaken by some kind of unintelligible, socially liberal populism, I say pull the plug.
    He goes on an on, but the center can be put around here:
    Many conservatives have told me they “hate Trump” but “hate Clinton more,” or words to that effect. Last night, a good number of them condemned me in no uncertain terms for daring to do anything but fall in line behind Trump and his party. “Lesser of two evils,” they cried. “If you don’t vote for Trump, you vote for Hillary,” they insisted. And they were wrong and will continue to be wrong on both counts.

What these people have not been able to do is explain, in clear and rational language, why they think Trump would be superior to Clinton. Reminding me that Clinton is awful doesn’t help. I’m aware, thank you. My contention is that Trump is awful in equal measure. I think the facts are on my side: They’re both elitist progressives. Both pathological liars. Both morally bankrupt. Both narcissists. Both entirely unconcerned about the issues and willing to take whatever position assures them more power. Both Statist. Both authoritarian. Both tyrants, the only difference is that Trump actually ran on a platform of tyranny – promising to murder women and children and squash dissent. etc. – whereas Clinton has to pretend she’s not a tyrant. That means Trump will have a mandate for tyranny that Clinton will, much to her chagrin, not be granted.

These two could not be more identical. That’s why they were such good friends. For God’s sake they’ll both be under investigation for crimes during the general election. Clinton for her email scandal and Trump for financial fraud. It’s like they’re fraternal twins or something. It would almost be kind of cute if they weren’t harbingers of national doom.

I would love to see his "facts" backing up equivocating Hillary with Trump on all of those issues to the point of calling them identical. The mental gymnastics would be a sight to behold.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular

Part of me hopes that like, the guy is actually sorry? He kind of caused this whole mess with his disastrous presidency. So he's just like, "Everything I touch turns to dust. So I'm going to just... just stop."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »

Part of me hopes that like, the guy is actually sorry? He kind of caused this whole mess with his disastrous presidency. So he's just like, "Everything I touch turns to dust. So I'm going to just... just stop."

No. The man has no shame. I mean, he literally said:
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...can't get fooled again.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Darn, I was kind of looking forward to hearing about a crazier-than-usual Republican convention. Oh well. Things are still going to be quite interesting over the next 6 months.

Also, saw this and chuckled:

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    All the schadens, all the freudes

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular

I don't think Rubio would help that much in Florida. If you're looking for electoral help from a VP candidate, then best pick one people like.
    Governor Skeletor? Floridians like him, right?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/donald-trump-takes-the-reins-of-a-divided-republican-party/2016/05/04/48df48ca-122a-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html
    Trump said in the Post interview that he is weighing potential running mates. He said he prioritizes someone with governing experience and with whom he has a good rapport, citing Barack Obama’s selection of Joe Biden as a model. He said he will hire a law firm in the coming days to oversee the vetting process and that Carson will be part of the selection team.

“In all fairness, when Obama chose Biden, it was an odd choice, and yet they have very good chemistry together and therefore it was a good choice for them,” Trump said. “So having good chemistry is very important.”

Trump said he has his eyes on Kasich, saying that during intermissions at debates the two gravitated toward each other. “I’ve always liked him and I’ve always gotten along with him,” Trump said. Is he on the short list? “Let’s put it this way,” Trump said, “he’s rising rapidly.”
    Looks like Kasich has a good chance of continuing his food trip.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

"I will not be a member of a party that supports sexism, racism, & hate."
    But you've been just fine with it / somehow completely unaware that it did, since at least October 2014?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/donald-trump-takes-the-reins-of-a-divided-republican-party/2016/05/04/48df48ca-122a-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html
    Trump said in the Post interview that he is weighing potential running mates. He said he prioritizes someone with governing experience and with whom he has a good rapport, citing Barack Obama’s selection of Joe Biden as a model. He said he will hire a law firm in the coming days to oversee the vetting process and that Carson will be part of the selection team.

“In all fairness, when Obama chose Biden, it was an odd choice, and yet they have very good chemistry together and therefore it was a good choice for them,” Trump said. “So having good chemistry is very important.”

Trump said he has his eyes on Kasich, saying that during intermissions at debates the two gravitated toward each other. “I’ve always liked him and I’ve always gotten along with him,” Trump said. Is he on the short list? “Let’s put it this way,” Trump said, “he’s rising rapidly.”
    Looks like Kasich has a good chance of continuing his food trip.
    Kasich is planning his little Italy china town connection where he eats at all of the little italics and China towns to crown champion.

zepherin on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    My

But you've been just fine with it / somehow completely unaware that it did, since at least October 2014?

Better late than never.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Kasich would be a solid bet for keeping Ohio back in play and is honestly almost the only move Trump could take to improve his electability.

The question is if Kasich wants to get tied to that. Is his goodwill in Ohio strong enough to outweigh the minority-turnout-boosting power of Trump, and would Kasich not be tied to the stench of loserdom when Trump inevitably fails (even if they manage to take Ohio? Recall that Trump needs ALL swing states to win). Kasich's honestly the only one of the 17 GOP candidates who can go into 2020 looking good. Walker would be the only other one, but the speed with which he flamed out this time could hurt him too.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

Most of the particularly harmful forms of racism and sexism are subconscious, which is why they're so hard to eradicate.

When you fail to hire someone with an "ethnic-sounding" name or a female name, you aren't even aware that's the reason you're downplaying their skills because of who they are, you think you arrived at the decision because of what's in the resume and nothing else.

Edit: And I want to note that subconscious racism, and the belief that racist attitudes == automatic bad, irredeemable person are not confined to the Republican party. I frequently see people on these forums use discussions of racist attitudes as a way to point the finger at someone being bad (instead of a discussion of subconscious racism and why it happens). Those people, in turn, immediately get angry if you point out they might be displaying subconscious racism, for the same reason - racism == bad, and they are not bad, so they can't be racist even subconsciously. Those attitudes from otherwise "righteous" people are what cause a lot of the harm in the world.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Most of the particularly harmful forms of racism and sexism are subconscious, which is why they're so hard to eradicate.

When you fail to hire someone with an "ethnic-sounding" name or a female name, you aren't even aware that's the reason you're downplaying their skills because of who they are, you think you arrived at the decision because of what's in the resume and nothing else.

Most of the sexism and racism in the GOP is not subconscious.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Racists are always somebody you see on television elsewhere. You never know any racists personally, least of all yourself. Racism is an individual problem, not a systemic one.

It's what Ta-Nehisi Coates refers to as the "politics of personal exoneration." You can act like the problem of racism is far away from you and tut tut about it while staying secure in the self-assured fact that you are enlightened and not at all racist.

Fact of the matter is, most of us are a bit racist, even if on an unconscious level. Being aware of that fact is necessary in order to check yourself and make sure those unconscious biases aren't acted upon.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Most of the GOP isn't conscious.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I really want to see more like that. GOP members who have been so focused on taxes they didn't realize what their party had become.

But I suspect it more likely most of the base just doesn't care. I do get a kick out of the folks angry at how liberal Trump is.

2020 is gonna suck isn't it?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I really want to see more like that. GOP members who have been so focused on taxes they didn't realize what their party had become.

But I suspect it more likely most of the base just doesn't care. I do get a kick out of the folks angry at how liberal Trump is.

2020 is gonna suck isn't it?

I kinda want to see that logic.

"Donald Trump was a progressive liberal pretending to be a conservative, that's why, in 2016 America voted in Hilary Clinton, a progressive liberal!!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I know it doesn't seem that way to you, but as someone who used to be a believing member of the GOP and never thought of myself as racist (until I understood about subconscious racism), I can assure you that people in the GOP don't understand that the things they do and think are racist and why.

Why do you think there's such a schism with Trump being the front runner? Those Republicans (I almost said pubs, I've been playing wayyyy too much SWTOR) that are leaving do not agree with racism and do not like it, they feel that way from the heart.

Edit: Like, smugly saying "well you were part of the RACISM PARTY, assholes!" Is not helpful and is not going to get those people to reconsider their positions, it's just going to drive those people away. We need to educate, not sneer.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

I know it doesn't seem that way to you, but as someone who used to be a believing member of the GOP and never thought of myself as racist (until I understood about subconscious racism), I can assure you that people in the GOP don't understand that the things they do and think are racist and why.

Why do you think there's such a schism with Trump being the front runner? Those Republicans (I almost said pubs, I've been playing wayyyy too much SWTOR) that are leaving do not agree with racism and do not like it, they feel that way from the heart.

Edit: Like, smugly saying "well you were part of the RACISM PARTY, assholes!" Is not helpful and is not going to get those people to reconsider their positions, it's just going to drive those people away. We need to educate, not sneer.

You sure we can't sneer. I mean just a little?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Is there a schism? I see the GOP falling in line and saying they'll vote for him. I see he's winning more GOP primary votes than anyone else in the GOP.

And I am well past believing the GOP is not aware they are racist when they jeer "pc language" and spout "all lives matter" garbage. You also focused on racism ignoring sexism where the gop is god damn overt in laws and language even prior to Trump.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Is there a schism? I see the GOP falling in line and saying they'll vote for him. I see he's winning more GOP primary votes than anyone else in the GOP.

And I am well past believing the GOP is not aware they are racist when they jeer "pc language" and spout "all lives matter" garbage. You also focused on racism ignoring sexism where the gop is god damn overt in laws and language even prior to Trump.

As someone who used to spout "PC language" and probably would have been part of the "all lives matter" thing if it had been around when I was a teenager: Yeah, I was completely unaware. Go figure.

Like if you just want to demonize people, I guess that's your prerogative. It's more constructive to bring those people in, though. People can learn (as I am a living example) if you don't treat them like dog shit from the start.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

You sure we can't sneer. I mean just a little?

Only behind their backs, and if you don't mind being a goose.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Definitely. Just because the poles still have some support lines doesn't mean the tent isn't falling. It's just a matter of time.

They money men realized that they have lost control when Rubio went out. Half want off and half want to hold on thinking they will get control next cycle. The dominionists just lost their favored son and are doing the same as the money men. The tent can't stand without all of them behind the party because they're losing demographically. They have to make another alliance but there is no one left to ally with.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Yes, because eventually people want to win elections. If Hillary becomes President in January that's 3 straight losses. Last time that happened to a political party it triangulated a candidate that could broaden the appeal beyond the base.

Maybe having a lot of State leaders will make the time in the wilderness longer, but ultimately people like it when they win.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:

That is great: and what do we do when said parties completely reject the concept of education, with their own smug attitudes about 'elitism' and 'the Ivory Tower'?

I have to say that while I fundamentally agree that mockery is not going to help, I am very tired of being told that, "We need to educate,"

People have been trying to educate for years. They get spit on, snarkily quote-mined, harassed and ultimately discarded (assuming they don't just give up first because even the best of us only have so much tolerance for being shit on and having to listen to the same garbage arguments over and over again about welfare queens / reverse racism / job theft / etc).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote:

That is great: and what do we do when said parties completely reject the concept of education, with their own smug attitudes about 'elitism' and 'the Ivory Tower'?

I have to say that while I fundamentally agree that mockery is not going to help, I am very tired of being told that, "We need to educate,"

People have been trying to educate for years. They get spit on, snarkily quote-mined, harassed and ultimately discarded (assuming they don't just give up first because even the best of us only have so much tolerance for being shit on and having to listen to the same garbage arguments over and over again about welfare queens / reverse racism / job theft / etc).

So it's "I'm tired of being mocked, so I'm going to mock back"? To me that's childish thinking along the lines of "she started it!"

The question is do you want to achieve things or do you just want to feel a fleeting moment of schadenfreude? If you want to achieve, then you have to start by understanding what the problems are, and they trying to get out there what the problems are to as many people as you can so that things can begin to change.

There are backwards dudes whom I'd openly mock for their white nationalism - Davis Aurini, for example - but someone who says, "I don't believe in racism, sexism, or hate, and I'm not a Republican anymore" - that's the person you want to mock? That's the person who has to pay for the time that racist grandma did a heil hitler on camera? Maybe the person who wrote that is not the person who said something shitty on Reddit. Just a thought.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump wrote:
    "I've given up a tremendous amount to run for president. I gave up two more seasons of Celebrity Apprentice."

I feel like blind quotes with Onion or the not The Onion is going to be the hardest fucking game this year.
    Not the Onion.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote:

So it's "I'm tired of being mocked, so I'm going to mock back"? To me that's childish thinking along the lines of "she started it!"

The question is do you want to achieve things or do you just want to feel a fleeting moment of schadenfreude? If you want to achieve, then you have to start by understanding what the problems are, and they trying to get out there what the problems are to as many people as you can so that things can begin to change.

There are backwards dudes whom I'd openly mock for their white nationalism - Davis Aurini, for example - but someone who says, "I don't believe in racism, sexism, or hate, and I'm not a Republican anymore" - that's the person you want to mock? That's the person who has to pay for the time that racist grandma did a heil hitler on camera? Maybe the person who wrote that is not the person who said something shitty on Reddit. Just a thought.

That's fair, and I don't think I disagree with what you just posted (I should say that I'm not claiming to be one of the aggrieved educators); I'm just exhausted with being told specifically, 'We need to educate,'

Education is on offer, and has been for quite a while now.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Trump reaches across the aisle to form the Trump/Sanders ticket! Heads asplode across the nation. You know you'd be tempted to vote for him then...

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The problem with the education idea is if you watched the Trump campaign that just dominated the GOP nomination process and don't realize or don't care about what your party has become, I've got nothing for you.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.