As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fighting Games Part 423: Now is the winter of our discount Xrd

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Anyone with big oaf hands? I've been fiddling around with a more comfortable grip, and I'm considering getting a screw extender for my joystick to give myself a little extra room.

Anyone have any experience with this?

This might seem counter-intuitive, but you may also want to try a smaller 30mm balltop.

Honestly I was kind of eyeing a bat top...

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The thing I don't particularly like about watching KOFXIV are the d.LK hitconfirms into MAX mode combos for huge damage. d.LK hitconfirm combos have been a part of KOF since pretty much forever ago, so I don't think that they should go, but the d.LK chaining into far-reaching st.LK xx MAX mode for like 40% or more is incredibly strong: you have a very fast combo starter that makes it an excellent punish, it's a low hit so it's an effective mixup from empty jumps/hops, it's generally safe on block, it can work at pretty long ranges because of the reach that many st.LK's have, etc. etc.

Xiao Hai used it to supreme effect with his incredible sense of spacing and timing, punishing all kinds of things that might otherwise seem like low-risk approaches. Over and over again he did that with K' and Mai. Now, Xiao Hai is an absolute monster at KOF, which is of course a difference-maker when it comes to how effectively he can utilize it, but still, it was a defining feature of his top 8, and eventually championship, performance.

Mian seems to be really polarizing in the viewership. I love watching Mian, because she has an offense and approach that is like a combination of SamSho 5's Yunfei and KOF's Seth (alternatively: like a character from Divekick on steroids) that is entirely unique in the game, and defeating it is totally possible with a combination of good reactions and pattern recognition. Definitely a lot of the viewship thinks it looks like total BS, though.

I feel the same way about Nakoruru mirrors. Her tools are so powerful/BS that when pitted against herself there's a unique and sometimes silly game that arises. She doesn't actually get free rushdown on herself, nor can she easily out-turtle herself.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Patch posted... in japanese: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiv/news/KOF-XIV_patch_ver.1.03.pdf

People on facebook are already translating:
    - Button config glitch is fixed (this is when sometimes button config defaulted back to the profile's preferences).
    - Fuzzy guard is gone
    - No more throw invincibilty on wake up rolls and teching (thank fucking god)
    - Less input buffer for qcf x 2 inputs; more input buffer for hcf x 2 inputs

Robert nerfs:
    - Robert: less dmg,stun/guard chip on cl.D
    - smaller hit box on far D
    - less invincile on heavy DP
    - smaller hitbox on fireball (normal and EX)
    - less damage on EX hcb +K
    - less damage on EX ranbu

Terry Changes:
    - Far D: shorter horizontal hitbox, but hitbox is larger towards the ground
    - light burn knuckle: More recovery
    - fixed input priority for rising tackle and buster wolf

Situations with opposite inputs with key pad and analog stick now reverts to key pad inputs only (looks like they're fixing 2-direction guard).
    l_g wrote: »
    The thing I don't particularly like about watching KOFXIV are the d.LK hitconfirms into MAX mode combos for huge damage. d.LK hitconfirm combos have been a part of KOF since pretty much forever ago, so I don't think that they should go, but the d.LK chaining into far-reaching st.LK xx MAX mode for like 40% or more is incredibly strong: you have a very fast combo starter that makes it an excellent punish, it's a low hit so it's an effective mixup from empty jumps/hops, it's generally safe on block, it can work at pretty long ranges because of the reach that many st.LK's have, etc. etc.

Yeah I can't agree with this. The high/low options leading into high damage is what makes the game so nerve-wracking. Honestly 40% off 1 bar isnt that much different than street fighter 5 and its not like 13 where it leads to 75% damage.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Anyone with big oaf hands? I've been fiddling around with a more comfortable grip, and I'm considering getting a screw extender for my joystick to give myself a little extra room.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Yeah, I'm ~6’5", and I've had a hell of a time with sticks. I really cannot recommend the hitbox form factor enough.

However, I've grown a little more accustomed to stick lately. It's about using less of your giant oaf hands, like holding a safety razor. I start with wineglass grip, turn my hand enough to anchor the blade of the palm on the surface of the stick. Then I move the balltop mostly with my fingertips. The key for me is the anchoring. Otherwise I lose my frame of reference and jump every time I want to fireball.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    awwwww

+frames on a well spaced light burn knuckle was like a lot of what made terry so good in this one

• Options
    It was -4 on block pre patch though.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    point blank it was -4. it was plus if you hit at the tip.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    @Folken Fanel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuoWA9zlGCA

ain playing ky vs alot ofhigh level matchups

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular

Yeah I can't agree with this. The high/low options leading into high damage is what makes the game so nerve-wracking. Honestly 40% off 1 bar isnt that much different than street fighter 5 and its not like 13 where it leads to 75% damage.

It's also satisfying as all heck! To me, at least

Clockw0rk's point for Marvel applies here too about how even if you one touch kill a character you really only did 33% of your opponents total health. The damage in marvel/kof doesn't feel so crazy when I think about it that way

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options

I really should've prefaced all that by stating that I say this not as somebody who is any good at all or has deep knowledge about the game, it's just how it looks to me as a casual spectator.

I do agree that the high-low game is deadly and that that creates excitement, but I guess what bothers me is that d.LK hitconfirm is just universally such a good go-to option. It's not just effective in a high-low game, it's effective in so many situations! Then again, the part of me that complains about how I'd rather not have to spend a lot of time learning combos is screaming "doesn't exactly solve the problem of not needing to spend a lot of time learning combos?!", and I can't help but agree.

Still, in SFV, hit confirms off of d.LK-type moves with CA might deal 40%, but that's more like the KOFXIV version of d.LK comboing into a Climax, meter-wise. d.LK into "one bar" EX tends not to deal 40% AFAIK. There are plenty of d.LK combos in SFV, and I'm not at all going to underplay the prevalence of short short super in some of my favourite SF games like 3S.
    Wimble wrote: »
    Clockw0rk's point for Marvel applies here too about how even if you one touch kill a character you really only did 33% of your opponents total health. The damage in marvel/kof doesn't feel so crazy when I think about it that way

If anything, in Marvel it's worth a lot more than 33% because it also results in the loss of utility and possibly team integrity. If the Doom assist gets sniped, that's devastating to a Strider/Doom team in MvC2 and a substantial loss to a Morrigan/Doom team in MvC3. Imagine if a Phoenix team loses Phoenix off a snap-in: even with Dark Phoenix's life counted in, she probably isn't 33% of the team's total life, but she absolutely is the linchpin of the team's strategy.

• Options
    If it helps ill say this:d.lk is not the quickest normal, its typically close c or close d (universally). D.lk starters also do far less damage and at the start of a combo it scales it way worse.

Its an option when your opponent is terrified of hop pressure which more often than not is... all the time when youre fighting good players.

Also keep in mind empty hop d.lk gets blown up by st.lp and cl.c or d, and if youre an asshole like terry cr.d can antiair at the right spacing.

In 13 d.lk wasnt universally good for all characters. For example, k' got shit damage midscreen off d.lk unless he used meter and his hd confirm off d.lk required hd bypass which is a pretty difficult technique. I think the choice in 14 to allow lots of characters to get decent damage off low normals was a purposeful design choice designed to give more characters options which is arguably more player friendly.

Regarding its entertainment value? Kof has always been a niche game and even I hate how long tournaments last. 13 sometimes felt boring bc of the your turn/my turn nature of watching successive long combos and the lack of unique characters used in 13 and 14 dont help. I honestly cant blame someone for finding tournament footage boring bc it very often is.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    make them watch a CvS2 tournament the next time they complain about how long it takes.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Man whatever input changes they made feels real noticeable to me in KoF. I can be way less meticulous with my super motions and still have them come out. Feels real good!

Or perhaps it's all placebo! Still feels good!

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Those are real fun Angel buffs

Neck Cutter may be useful now

• Options
    Knob wrote: »
    Those are real fun Angel buffs

Neck Cutter may be useful now

Ugh...

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Yup. And it doesn't push them as far back on block so we get things like this

• Options
    Did... you awesome your own post?

Ban knob.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Ban knob.

no one man should have all that power

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

Ban knob.

mods plz respond

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Seems like quite a few popular characters got nerfed. Hopefully not into oblivion, but maybe it will make me not dread fighting them anymore.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    nerf to df.hp as maxima?

lame

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options

Didn't Antonov have the same throw break glitch as verse? Notes say they fixed verse but not antonov

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    A lot of complaining about K' and Mai but their changes don't seem that bad to me.

• Options
    I'm surprised that a proven tournament character like Benimaru came away with literally just a buff, while King got a ton of nerfs.
    Mian getting meter gain nerf is fair.
    Choi got literally a page of buffs! Will we enter the era of Mian/Choi the-ground-is-lava teams?

• Options
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    His st.D has armor, too. So you can headbutt fireballs away

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that a proven tournament character like Benimaru came away with literally just a buff, while King got a ton of nerfs.
    Mian getting meter gain nerf is fair.
    Choi got literally a page of buffs! Will we enter the era of Mian/Choi the-ground-is-lava teams?

To me it seems like they nerfed the braindead stuff more than anything.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I saw nelson get a bunch of damage buffs and an invincibility buff on certain versions of his command dash, now I just have to find time to play

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I have always hated fighting Choi. Please remove him from the game.

• Options
    Me: ok Michael, we're gonna play sfv for a little while, stay fresh, don't get fancy, play solid

[TWO MIKAS AND A THREE BAR NASH LATER]

me: how much of this Clorox do I need to drink to not breathe anymore

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Me: ok Michael, we're gonna play sfv for a little while, stay fresh, don't get fancy, play solid

[TWO MIKAS AND A THREE BAR NASH LATER]

me: how much of this Clorox do I need to drink to not breathe anymore

You should do something relaxing. Turn on your local NBC affiliate and see what's on between 9 - 11 EST.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qnw1IywRs
    This is real good.

The fucking meaty headbutt loops are so good, the sideswitch midscreen upfireball combo at 1:46 is SICK.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    ive been working on changing my meter usage up and its paying off

i had a habit of wasting meter on pointless EX fireballs and EX shoryus, but now I'm working for critical arts and practicing actually confirming them in real matches... i think i've confirmed into CA more times today in matches than I have in my whole life combined

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Wimble have you embraced the dinosaur?

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Nah I just stumbled upon that and thought it was neat. Haven't really put time into KoF at all since we played. Just done some Shun'Ei practice. I dunno what it is with that guy but I just itch to play him from time to time!

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQacq-P-h7A

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Swapped out the square gate for an octo gate, and added an extender to the joystick so I can get my oaf hand around it more comfortably.
    A+ would cavalierly rip open a hundred dollar fiddly joystick again

This discussion has been closed.