As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'd wait for the eventual 1080Ti if you want to do 4k gaming. The 1080 is *almost* good enough to do 4k consistently, but isn't quite there yet. If you buy it with the idea of doing 4k it probably won't age very well.

Thanks for the heads-up.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Am I nuts for kinda thinking I might sell my 1070 and buy a 1080ti when it comes out? Already got a 1440p 144Hz monitor to put the extra power to use. Obviously the price and performance are going to be major factors, but if it's not much more than the 1080 and I could sell this card for ~$300....

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Am I nuts for kinda thinking I might sell my 1070 and buy a 1080ti when it comes out? Already got a 1440p 144Hz monitor to put the extra power to use. Obviously the price and performance are going to be major factors, but if it's not much more than the 1080 and I could sell this card for ~$300....

Considering the same thing with my 980Ti.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I think I'm settled on the h60 (especially since amazon's doing that 9 bucks off thing today) and am wondering if I should replace the stock fan that comes with it. Seeing quite a few people say the corsair fan is a little noisy and I'd love to spent a few extra bucks and cut that down. Any h60 fan replacement suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-SP120-Quiet-Twin-Pack/dp/B007RESFR2/

The twin pack is only 5 dollars more? I mean I'll have extra fan slots but should I put an SP there or a standard kinda thing? And thanks! looks great for the h60

I swapped out all of my fans for all black 2000rpm Noctua Industrials. I didn't really need to, but wanted to remove the greyish blades that came with the Corsairs.

The two I pulled off the AIO were mostly fine, but one was rubbing against something and would occasionally make a little noise. I'd say just use the fan that comes with it an look to make a change if it becomes an issue.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm also really interested to see how they compare in the mid-low range.

If their$500 part compares with an $1100 Intel part, their $300 part compares with a $400 part, I want to see what the part that has comparable performance to an i5 looks like. The i5-7600 is currently sitting at $230 at newegg. Can they get their equivalent at $180? That would be great.

Based on the leaks, it seems that there's a $150 Ryzen equivalent to the i5 6600k.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm also really interested to see how they compare in the mid-low range.

If their$500 part compares with an $1100 Intel part, their $300 part compares with a $400 part, I want to see what the part that has comparable performance to an i5 looks like. The i5-7600 is currently sitting at $230 at newegg. Can they get their equivalent at $180? That would be great.

Based on the leaks, it seems that there's a $150 Ryzen equivalent to the i5 6600k.

If this is true than Intel has to lower their prices otherwise there is basically zero reason to buy an intel part.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'll believe it when I see it, weren't people saying similar things about Bulldozer or whatever their last chip was?

Stoked for the benchmarks though.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    A lot of AMD executives "left" the company after the disappointment of Bulldozer, so hopefully they won't make that mistake again.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Actual reviews won't be until next week, but yeah...looking like the rumoured shaking of the applecart is on the way.

Good!

While I do appreciate the refinement and lower power consumption and higher efficiency of the new Core chips, I feel like we've hit stagnation.

Intel is always best when they've got someone nipping at their heels, and having an option if 1 goes tits up for a generation is always nice to have.

My first self-built rig was an Athlon back in the halcyon days of 2005. Welcome back to relevancy, AMD. I missed ya.

Now get back to making your GPUs. Nvidia is absolutely eating your lunch.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    While looking up documentation to see if my mobo could support a RAM upgrade, I discovered that four years ago I installed my current RAM into the wrong sockets and have not used dual-channel mode. Ever.

Motherboard sockets: color coded for your convenience!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think I'm settled on the h60 (especially since amazon's doing that 9 bucks off thing today) and am wondering if I should replace the stock fan that comes with it. Seeing quite a few people say the corsair fan is a little noisy and I'd love to spent a few extra bucks and cut that down. Any h60 fan replacement suggestions?

The twin pack is only 5 dollars more? I mean I'll have extra fan slots but should I put an SP there or a standard kinda thing? And thanks! looks great for the h60

I swapped out all of my fans for all black 2000rpm Noctua Industrials. I didn't really need to, but wanted to remove the greyish blades that came with the Corsairs.

The two I pulled off the AIO were mostly fine, but one was rubbing against something and would occasionally make a little noise. I'd say just use the fan that comes with it an look to make a change if it becomes an issue.

I definitely want to get a replacement fan for the h60, if only for looks, but I also want to fill the other empty fan slots with fans. Just wondering if a static pressure fan is okay in those case slots or if I should get regular ones. Probably still quiet series, that seems good.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, but do the stock fans on radiators like the h60 and h100i V2 come with rubber grommets? If not then is that why they're noisy or is it the fan itself?

I ask because while researching the h100i V2 I noticed they come with SP120L fans, and I've been wondering why people swap them out for SP120 fans.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A lot of AMD executives "left" the company after the disappointment of Bulldozer, so hopefully they won't make that mistake again.

The lead CPU architect left sometime in 1999 which is when AMD was at their height. I can't remember the reasons but I remember AMD was trying to shift gears and they were being kind of a bunch of dicks to their employees? He was the one who designed AMD's x64 architecture IIRC.

He came back on board to design Zen, which I guess AMD realized their hubris. He quit again last yearish and went to work at Tesla, but, they might have a design that lets the compete for the time being.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I definitely want to get a replacement fan for the h60, if only for looks, but I also want to fill the other empty fan slots with fans. Just wondering if a static pressure fan is okay in those case slots or if I should get regular ones. Probably still quiet series, that seems good.

Static Pressure fans are mainly useful for pushing a lot of air over obstructions and other objects. Putting one on a radiator in push is good. Putting one on an intake where a drive rack or other internal object may block airflow is also good. Putting one on an intake without a blockage or on a radiator in pull is less good.

Not 'bad', just less effective. But generally by a factor that doesn't really affect most users.

Corsair fans do come with a little rubber thing where the screws run through. Most complaints about noise are because of the fans themselves. Either because they're off balance and rubbing against something or just spinning faster than people expect.

FYI, there is no real difference between a SP120 and a SP120L except that the 'L' version has LED lights. I swapped mine because the looked dumb (and I wanted all black).

If your MB supports it, get fans with a four pin PWM connector. This allows fan speed to be more fine tunes by the BIOS or other programs. Three pin connecters are harder to control via software.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Well now I want to wait for the Ti release so you and I can talk about that 1070.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So I have a mouse related shoulder injury, and it would be super useful for me if I could switch mouse arms at will. I am deeply in love with my five button Logitech mouse, but it's five button nature means it can't switch properly. I need one that goes both ways. Are there any good bisexual mouses on the market?

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    An update to my tale of woe:

3 sets of RAM, 2 motherboards, and 2 processors later, everything is working*.

I can have a VM and Chrome tabs open without everything going sideways! And holy crap, video games got really good looking!

There's some small stuff I need to tweak (getting static on the mic even when it's not plugged in, which makes me think it's either a grounding problem or the audio chip is picking up interference somewhere), but I think I can make some time after hours and take care of that at a slower pace.

Thanks to everyone in this thread that gave advice and helped troubleshoot this monstrosity!

*knock on wood, forever

!
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    So I have a mouse related shoulder injury, and it would be super useful for me if I could switch mouse arms at will. I am deeply in love with my five button Logitech mouse, but it's five button nature means it can't switch properly. I need one that goes both ways. Are there any good bisexual mouses on the market?

Are you a power user, and need 5+ buttons? Or is something ergonomic and simple a good option for you?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options

https://www.amazon.com/Mionix-Ergonomic-Ambidextrous-Optical-Gaming/dp/B00HGKOD9G/

What about that?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll see if I can find a wireless variant.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    G300 / G300s if you can live without wired - these are $25 on amazon right now - G900 if you've got $100+ to blow on a cadillac package customizable everything mouse.

If you need some kind of middle ground, umm.. buy a G700s for each hand?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    There's some that are like.. vertical. That is an interesting take on mice.

Surprised we haven't seen more of those, they look like they're comfortable as shit.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'd wait for the eventual 1080Ti if you want to do 4k gaming. The 1080 is *almost* good enough to do 4k consistently, but isn't quite there yet. If you buy it with the idea of doing 4k it probably won't age very well.

This is pretty good advice--speaking from literal experience, a GTX 1080 FTW--which is overclocked--can handle a lot of 4K, but you have to make certain compromises (the same way a GTX 1070 simply isn't going to handle 1440p at 100, much less 144 FPS, that's just the plain reality of it--you'll be lowering settings in a lot of games).

I may've waited if finances had allowed me, but it was really out of the question. And in general, waiting always benefits you--the fact that the GTX 970 held its price point for so long was a freakish exception.

EDIT: Speaking of mice, has anyone with a Logitech mouse run into the issue that SetPoint--which you need for shortcuts, device linking, etc.--sucks at detecting games? Both Fallout 4 and Hitman hate detecting my mouse buttons 4 and 5 unless I close SetPoint. I'm seriously considering uninstalling it entirely since I don't use the shortcuts, but then you lose the information on battery life and linking abilities.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Surprised we haven't seen more of those, they look like they're comfortable as shit.

I used to work with someone so swore by a vertical mouse, saying it was way more ergonomic. I can actually see how as if you're holding it vertically the two bones in your forearm are actually aligned vertically instead of twisted, which should mean slightly less stress on your wrist and elbow joints.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

I used to work with someone so swore by a vertical mouse, saying it was way more ergonomic. I can actually see how as if you're holding it vertically the two bones in your forearm are actually aligned vertically instead of twisted, which should mean slightly less stress on your wrist and elbow joints.

Several people in my studio used them, with the one guy noting that it was very convenient for the kind of art work we were often doing- you need some brush- or pencil-style cursor control to "draw" accurately but don't want to inconvenience yourself switching over to pen tablet for just a few brushstrokes in photoshop. Vertical mouse puts your hand much closer to an airbrush-style posture and he said it was a good middleground for him between the typical UI control where mouse is superior and art stuff where pen is superior.

I've considered it more than once but I like the idea of many buttons and hot-swapping DPI/profiles for productivity even if I don't actually make use of it that often and I'm a wrist-mouser so I'm not sure any ergo benefits would really apply.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So what's a good motherboard that supports the i7-7700K and a Samsung 960 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe?

one of the midrange ASUS ROG boards would be my go to

Hmm none of the ROG ones support the PCIe M.2s as far as I can see, amazon isn't being too helpful though.

Nevermind I think I found one (had something stupid checked off)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bTczGf

I already have the video card and all that

I think ASUS mostly supports M.2 through U.2 connections (i.e. a new goofy cable standard), so you'd need a 2.5" U.2 enclosures to hold your 950. Also, Asrock has several MBs with multiple M.2 slots (up to 3, I think), if you want some room to grow or RAID.

• Options
    Tiny Server Build question: We've got a few sticks of this RAM sitting at the office from upgrading an imac. Although it's probably too late to bother now (already bought RAM) this stuff is probably free for me to take and I'm curious if it'd work with my mobo.

It's DDR3 1600mhz DDR3, I'm using the mobo spec DDR4 2300mhz. Could theoretically return my RAM and use the free stuff if it'll function.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So what's a good motherboard that supports the i7-7700K and a Samsung 960 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe?

one of the midrange ASUS ROG boards would be my go to

Hmm none of the ROG ones support the PCIe M.2s as far as I can see, amazon isn't being too helpful though.

Nevermind I think I found one (had something stupid checked off)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bTczGf

I already have the video card and all that

I think ASUS mostly supports M.2 through U.2 connections (i.e. a new goofy cable standard), so you'd need a 2.5" U.2 enclosures to hold your 950. Also, Asrock has several MBs with multiple M.2 slots (up to 3, I think), if you want some room to grow or RAID.

Looks like it's got an M.2 slot right below the CPU

1TB of space is more than I'll need tbh, and even then at that point I'll just get normal SSDs, the premium is mostly for my OS and other tools.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    This NVIDIA website has what is almost definitely a countdown timer to the 1080Ti. Whether it's just a reveal or the actual launch is anybody's guess but it seems we will know more soon

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Another thing you may (or may not) be able to do is just to use the mouse less. When I started having hand problems, I wired up a bunch of random stuff to Alfred (a quick launcher) and AppleScript (lets you manipulate just about anything on MacOS) and eventually HammerSpoon (script and manipulate even MORE things). I also taught myself Vim and started using a Vim plugin in my web browser. With a few exceptions, I rarely need to touch the mouse anymore.

Not gonna lie, it was a ton of work, though.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    This NVIDIA website has what is almost definitely a countdown timer to the 1080Ti. Whether it's just a reveal or the actual launch is anybody's guess but it seems we will know more soon

My body is ready. My 980 Ti already has a home waiting for it, just give me the goods Nvidia.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I can't believe people are already talking about upgrading 980tis

• Options
    I can't believe people are already talking about upgrading 980tis

I know. I'm still on a 7870 and at 1080p the card is still capable enough for me. I'm probably going to need an upgrade when the 2xxx series cards hit, but for now, I'm fine.

Now granted that part of it is the jump to 4k a lot of people want to make. pushing 4x the number of pixels is a big deal and requires more GPU that we really currently have, and it is, in my opinion, not cost effective yet.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well, the kind of consumer who buys a 980Ti to begin with is also likely the kind of one who wants to have the best at any given time regardless of price, and the X80Ti line is the best*

* - Besides the Titan, but at least with the X80Ti you get a substantial performance jump over the previous card for your money. There's not a lot between the Titan and X80Ti series in any given chip.

I'm not planning to upgrade mine, at least not rightaway, but I can see why @GnomeTank would.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    For me it's mostly VR. Being able to play the things I play in VR with a few more shinies turned up/on is why I want a 1080 Ti. Especially since I plan to jump on board with revision 2 VR headsets coming later this year/next year with higher resolutions.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Let's see if I can remember my video card upgrades through the years:

1. Voodoo2 in pc I built in high school

then the dark times where I barely played any video games at all passed by for about a decade.

2. nVidia 480 in a pc a friend built then sold to me at the time I was just getting back into gaming.

3. nVidia 560ti that I replaced the 480 with when it died.

4. nVidia 780 for my gaming pc I built for myself, which I'm still using the base motherboard/proc/ram to this day.

5. I got another 780 to SLI with, and was not happy with it for all the documented reasons, when one of those 780s died, I RMA'd it as it was just in time for the warranty, they ended up sending me my current card, so I sold the second 780.

6. nVidia 970, which came from that RMA process in #5.

As long as my monitor which is a 1600p resolution keeps working, I'll just keep with the cards that push that resolution fine, so probably not x80 or x80ti anymore. x70 is a good spot for me for now. And maybe by the time I feel the need to upgrade, I'll just need the full new pc upgrade anyways.

• Options
    I max out everything in VR right now with my 980ti. I could maybe upscale or something. I feel like the headset display itself is the limitation right now.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I honestly think the best path is one of three options

1- Stick with the X70 line and upgrade every second generation. Those who are on 770s right now still have a solid card, and upgrading to a 1070 would be a ton of bang for your buck.

2- Go with the X60 line and upgrade every generation.

3- Go with the X80Ti line and upgrade every generation.

I think the X80 series are overpriced for the performance you get - you pay for the privilege of having the top card on release day of a new series. I think the Titans are the same.

I think the X60 and X70 occupy a great value for money standpoint. The X60 doesn't really have the grunt to last two generations though, those currently on a 960 really will feel the pinch if they wait until the 11-series to upgrade. And on the upper end, the X80Ti is the closest you get for value when spending $600 on a card.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm holding out for a Volta or if AMD shocks the damn world.

I'll be going to 1440p at 144hz then, and I figure the next gen of cards will do that pretty solidly.

• Options
    I'm still running a 560ti. Next update will probably be a 1060/480 or an 11XX, because it'll probably take me that long to get around to it.

I just ... don't run that much AAA software and don't play anything over 1080p.

This discussion has been closed.