As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Space Hulk Deathwing] They are space termites and you've made a terrible mistake.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Per reddit, there is going to be some sorta announcement tomorrow.

The emperor protects.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    They had full co-op all set up and almost ready to go but stupid Magnus' psychic warning broke the warp barrier and ruined the whole thing.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Are these big space-hulking characters Space Marines? I can't tell and I know jack-shit about Warhammer outside of DoW2 and Vermintide. Total Warhammer is my first venture into the original.

EDIT - I forgot W40K Space Marine.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yep, just heavier armor.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's space marines in terminator armor, which is much heavier, thicker, and allows for even heavier weapons. Downside is that even as super humans the armor weighs enough to actually slow them down. In DoW2 Terminators were a late game call in for Space Marines if I recall, and the Chaos Lord starts the game in terminator armor.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    MrBody wrote: »
    Oh no, I was so psyched about this until I read that single player heavy comment....

Makes it sounds like it's going to be Republic Commando 40k.

That sounds AWESOME

I would love a Republic Commando 40k game but with a Kasrkin/Stormtrooper squad

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Oh no, I was so psyched about this until I read that single player heavy comment....

That sounds AWESOME

I would love a Republic Commando 40k game but with a Kasrkin/Stormtrooper squad

Now I can never live my life again without the haunting disappointment that this doesn't exist.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I jumped on a pre-order for it when it was on sale for just over 25 bucks to lock in the deal. I'm hoping that it turns out well, but if it doesn't I'll try to get a refund before release.

Emperor's Edit:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Considering how much I loved the 40K Space Marine third person shooter with it's tacked on cooperative mode, I can see myself enjoying this just as much.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Have they confirmed release date yet?

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Is...this meant to be a bad thing? Because I played the hell out of Republic Commando and loved it. I see no downside to a Space Hulk Republic commando.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    Are these big space-hulking characters Space Marines? I can't tell and I know jack-shit about Warhammer outside of DoW2 and Vermintide. Total Warhammer is my first venture into the original.

Terminators are the best of the best Space Marines, entrusted with Tactical Dreadnaught Armor. Each suit of Terminator armor carries with it a small fragment of the armor that the God Emperor Himself wore in His final duel against the traitor H----.
    The left shoulder plate of a suit of Terminator Armour always carries the large solid stone icon known as the Crux Terminatus. This doubles as a tactical symbol and as a revered honour badge. Each Crux is reputed to have bound within its core a tiny fragment of the battle armour worn by the Emperor during his epic duel with Horus the Arch-Traitor ten thousand years ago. The design of this ancient badge can vary considerably, even within a single unit or Chapter. Sergeants' and Officers' Crux tend to be more elaborate and finely detailed than those worn by normal Battle-Brothers, but all are venerated equally. To lose even a single Crux in battle is to betray the Emperor's trust and bring great shame down on the entire Chapter.

The suits are layered with Adamantium, the strongest known substance in the galaxy, incredibly rare (as the knowledge of how to construct them has been lost) and pack sufficient firepower to bring entire conventional planetary defense forces to their knees at the mere sight of them. The armor is able to withstand even the crushing pressures & perils of The Warp itself, and each is typically equipped with a teleporter to facilitate rapid assaults even despite its incredible weight.

Further, the Death Wing is a step up from just 'ordinary' Terminators; they are the most elite, loyal & veteran Terminators in the Emperor's service. The only mortals who could both plausibly survive an expedition into a Space Hulk as well as be trusted not to lose faith in the Emperor's cause during such a mission.

EDIT: No wait! I confused Deathwing with Deathwatch. ARGGGGH LORE FAIL! x.x

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The deathwing are still dark Angels and therefore terrible.

I look forward to dlc with other chapters.

Like the obviously better blood angels

• Options
    And it's been pushed back, but release date is December 9th.

The new trailer looks sweet.

I'd link it but I don't know how to link facebook vids.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »

Terminators are the best of the best Space Marines, entrusted with Tactical Dreadnaught Armor. Each suit of Terminator armor carries with it a small fragment of the armor that the God Emperor Himself wore in His final duel against the traitor H----.
    The left shoulder plate of a suit of Terminator Armour always carries the large solid stone icon known as the Crux Terminatus. This doubles as a tactical symbol and as a revered honour badge. Each Crux is reputed to have bound within its core a tiny fragment of the battle armour worn by the Emperor during his epic duel with Horus the Arch-Traitor ten thousand years ago. The design of this ancient badge can vary considerably, even within a single unit or Chapter. Sergeants' and Officers' Crux tend to be more elaborate and finely detailed than those worn by normal Battle-Brothers, but all are venerated equally. To lose even a single Crux in battle is to betray the Emperor's trust and bring great shame down on the entire Chapter.

The suits are layered with Adamantium, the strongest known substance in the galaxy, incredibly rare (as the knowledge of how to construct them has been lost) and pack sufficient firepower to bring entire conventional planetary defense forces to their knees at the mere sight of them. The armor is able to withstand even the crushing pressures & perils of The Warp itself, and each is typically equipped with a teleporter to facilitate rapid assaults even despite its incredible weight.

Further, the Death Wing is a step up from just 'ordinary' Terminators; they are the most elite, loyal & veteran Terminators in the Emperor's service. The only mortals who could both plausibly survive an expedition into a Space Hulk as well as be trusted not to lose faith in the Emperor's cause during such a mission.

And they still drop like flies in every 40k trailer and game :p

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Every faction in 40k is cannon fodder depending on the story.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Had a discussion the other day about how the Genestealer Cult is the first army to actually match what the fluff says about them.

• Options
    Hype for the Hype God. Pre-orders for the Pre-order Throne.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    yea that is sexy looking

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    http://spacehulk-deathwing.com/beta

They're accepting signups for the technical closed beta ahead of the preorder beta.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

And they still drop like flies in every 40k trailer and game :p

LIES AND HERESY.

NOT ONE DROP OF BLOOD HAS EVER BEEN DRAWN FROM A SPACE MARINE ADORNED IN VENERABLE TACTICAL DREADNAUGHT ARMOR.

NEITHER THE XENOS NOR THE TRAITOR NOR THE WITCH CAN MATCH THE MIGHT OR FURY OF THOSE WHO KEEP THE FAITH.

SUBMIT THYSELF FOR CONFESSION FOR SPREADING SUCH RUMOR.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    this is entirely appropriate...
    Make them repent, Asmodai...

17m12s start.
    https://youtu.be/M56aycpd9kA?t=17m9s

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Is...this meant to be a bad thing? Because I played the hell out of Republic Commando and loved it. I see no downside to a Space Hulk Republic commando.

I dunno, when was the last time you played Republic Commando? I remember mostly liking it but tried revisiting it a few years ago and was amazed that I ever thought the gameplay was fun. Once I thought about it, I realized the game was carried entirely by the excellent soundtrack. If anyone earned their paycheck making the prequels, it was John Williams.

Now, if Deathwing had songs like this blasting as I righteously cut down enemies of the Emperor, I'd probably pick it up just for that.

• Options
    I got into the closed technical betaaaaa

I know what I'm playing tonight.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Get footage.
    For when you can post it for us.
    Don't need to sacrifice yourself like flock of walrus did for MWO, bit we are dying for actual gameplay.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    It's an extremely limited technical test so there isn't much to talk about, but I still can't really say anything on the current contents of the game itself anyway 'cause NDA'd. I did manage to sneak one game in though and it seems pretty neat.

But I will say one thing

When the designated medic says in chat "lol how do u even heal", you're probably gonna have a bad time.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Pre-order beta postponed to next week instead of this week.

• Options
    Guess I'm not getting into that since I bought it on GMG and not Steam.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That looks super rad.

Although it's weird to me seeing autoguns able to damage terminator armor so easily it seems. Heavy Stubbers (depending on planet to planet) are like MG42s or big ass tripod set .50 cal LMGs so I can see those making a dent. Too bad none of the cultists are using lasguns, and that none of them seem to be early in the genestealer transformation, though I imagine they've been stuck on this hulk for a while.

Dialogue is a little too functionally basic and they need to get in alternate lines so what they have won't get repetitive.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So if this is mostly solo, it's not really Vermintide in space is it? I know you can play Vermintide solo, but that's not really the point? So is this co-op or single player focused?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    They said (after I pre-ordered, sadly) that the focus was single-player.

I pray to Da Emprah that co-op isn't just tacked on.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Why wouldn't the coop part be people just taking over the other two terminators in play? Half the fun I got out of the Halo series was coop play on the singleplayer campaign, which is plenty good for me.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    My understanding was that the co-op mode was the same as singleplayer, only you could have up to four Terminators (you and three other players) vs the three in singleplayer (you and two bots you give orders to), and that in singleplayer you could only play as a Librarian whereas in multi you had classes to choose from, has that changed at all?

My only hope is that the XP/skilltrees won't be separate between game modes.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So none of the loot and stuff from Vermintide? Not trying to throw shade on this game, it may be awesome, but it's feeling less like Vermintide in Space, which is fine, just not how it was described to me.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So none of the loot and stuff from Vermintide? Not trying to throw shade on this game, it may be awesome, but it's feeling less like Vermintide in Space, which is fine, just not how it was described to me.

There's a skill system and you unlock new weapons over time, instead of random chances at the end of each map like in Vermintide.

It's similar to Vermintide in that you pick a weapon and use it through the map instead of just grabbing new ones as you go along like in L4D where you switch weapons on a fairly regular basis.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    That sound design is very...unimpressive.

Hearing regular voices come out of those helmets is like watching a Godard movie. Where is the speaker sound that you hear from every helmeted space marine in every game and trailer? Just make them sound like Dawn of War terminators and you're good.

Those are the most underwhelming storm bolters ever. How is it the 1993 game has better gun sound effects?

Those voice lines...they at least clear up any confusion as to who the angels of death are.

Not sure how much they're going to be able to improve this in just 3 weeks.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I've picked it up. I'm kinda liking what I see but I'm worried it may miss the mark.

A vermintide in space was kind of what also I was hoping for but if this is better than playing the original space hulk I will still be happy I guess.

Typical I'm off this weekend and working the folllowing weekend and the beta has been pushed back. Grrrr.