As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Space Hulk Deathwing] They are space termites and you've made a terrible mistake.

NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
edited November 2016 in Games and Technology
I've debated whether to just roll this into the Vermintide thread, but we all love our warhammer so... NEW THREAD!

After searching the youtubes for a bit, these are the two videos that stand out the most, and probably explain what Space Hulk Deathwing (now referred to as SHD from here on out) is all about.

Angry Joe Interview with a Designer with heavy french accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZBGqXXRQ-A

I've been a bit reticent about posting this vid, mainly because its two months from launch and all I can find of gameplay is a Work In Progress build from April. I dunno, Ubisoft has destroyed any faith I have in work-in-progress builds anymore. It could just be FMV eye-candy vid anymore. But this is what Cyanide-Studios has available. Who knows, maybe they have a lock on this and are gonna do good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERJhTprNpw

Here's an off screen view of gameplay... be forewarned, the quality is kinda garbage, but its the only other vid in town right now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQhSiAKdBxM

The development companies are Cyanide-Studios and Streum On Studios

Here's Cyanide's game list.
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/games/

Streum On released
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy
and a Half Life mod named Syndicate Black Ops

So now that we have some of the pedigree out of the way, what about Space Hulk Deathwing?

The game is a first person shooter, with single and multiplayer capability. In single player, you are a Librarian with AI teammates, in multiplayer... you have other humies to help with.
That said, I'm anticipating PUGs shouting "FOR THE EMPRA!!!" in my headset and then promptly dying. I'll want to play with people around these parts.

Health is LOCATION SPECIFIC. just like the old Fallout games or the original Deus Ex.
Your arm got crippled? You can't use that weapon until its healed.
Both arms crippled? Do the rest of us a solid and be a meat shield and plug that door with your body.
Your leg broke? I'm probably gonna have to mag dump your face to spare you the humiliation of being a genestealer chew toy, and so we can GTFO on the getaway space boat.

The limited view of customization popped up in that video. Lots of neat toys to turn genestealer insides into outsides.

[SPECULATION]
It doesn't look like there will be any classes save the specific Librarian, so pick what appeals to you.
Chainsword and board? go for it.
Flamers forever? spycheck that shit.
Bolter and nades? always a solid choice.

Here's the Steam Page.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/298900/
Current Launch Date on Steam: November 2016
Price: $39.99 USD

Pre-Ordering gets you 15% off and an in game item The Lost Mace of Corswain. Which is probably a welfare purple...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
NotoriusBEN on

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I'm interested in the game but man I'd like to see some more videos of actual game play. The April one makes it look like there is good potential.

Watch and shoot for this one on me, I loved vermintide, and anything 40k is good in my books. Just want some more info and such and I'll pull the trigger once that happens.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    oh no doubt. I scoured and looked for some actual gameplay footage and my OP reflects that.
    I know I didn't make a gushing pro-game OP, but until something more substantial comes out, that's what I've got.
    While I don't care for Angry Joe's internet personality, he's tolerable as an interviewer and I do find our game interests usually line up, so I'll give it a shake.

There is a video from E3 or gamescon that shows some gameplay, but its from a year ago, off screen in a dark room and the camera guy got the dev 'playing' it in screen with a laptop.
    I guess I'll add it but be forewarned, its rather low quality.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've been a bit reticent about posting this vid, mainly because its two months from launch and all I can find of gameplay is a Work In Progress build from April.

That's exactly why I'm a bit doubtful about this. I love me some Warhams and I want this to be good, so show me the goods!

I also love the idea of a more slow-paced game where you stomp around in Terminator armor instead of zipping all over the place.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I have a feeling its pretty hard to mess up big hulking termies in space shooting big rocket propelled bullets at space spiders.

But I have been proven wrong with this in the past. This could be a gold mine for fun if it's any good. I would love to strap on an assault cannon and mow some genestealers down.... please get it right!

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Be nice if they can get it to be good fun with decent replay value.

The source material is there just hope they can do it justice.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The original FP spacehulk game also included hybrids and genestealer magi, so a variety of Genestealer enemy types is possible. It also had Chaos Marines which could call for a completely different approach to combat; could be fun, maybe a potential game mode or expansion content.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The original FP spacehulk game also included hybrids and genestealer magi, so a variety of Genestealer enemy types is possible. It also had Chaos Marines which could call for a completely different approach to combat; could be fun, maybe a potential game mode or expansion content.

That was the second Space Hulk game, and man, I thought it was terrible. It was pretty hard to fail the hand-to-hand QTE, so your normal Terminator would chew through them with the power fist, but then the Chaos Marines had some kind of super armor and one of them would mow down my entire squad. I think they were Plague Marines, but still.

The first one was a much better game in my opinion. Not so much variety, though.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GW also just a few weeks ago released new models for Genestealer Cults including different kinds of hybrids, the Magus and large brutes. At least onethe hybrids can also be seen in the gameplay trailer. I expect all of those to show up.

• Options
    Welp, preordered it on GMG, £23 was impulse purchase range unlike the Steam price in euros.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Err has anyone seen this interview:

GAMES WORKSHOP’S BEST-SELLING TABLETOP GAME GETS THE FULL-ON FPS TREATMENT WITH SPACE HULK: DEATHWING…

Key thing to note:
    GameWatcher: Can you choose from different classes of Space Marine to play as?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes the player can choose from different classes. So you have librarian, Apothecary and the last one is Death Watch. The Death Watch is more like the heavy guy so he can use bigger weapons, the Apothecary is a medic so he can heal his teammates, and a Librarian is a battle mage who can cast spells.

This was in march though so they could have binned off actual classes?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Might be a mistranslation and they meant regular Deathwing guy? The developers are french, right?

honovere on
  • Options
    Indeed they are so I was surprised they mentioned deathwatch

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    At first I thought this was a Deathwatch game

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    408188_204869696271450_440150493_n.jpg

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    408188_204869696271450_440150493_n.jpg

Do you know how hard it is to wash tyranids of jeans once they've been in-pant-ed?

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    At first I thought this was a Deathwatch game

The dark angels are one of my least favourite loyalist chapter (iron hands for worst loyalist chapter) but I'm hoping for dlc with new chapters post release

Blood angels I'm looking at you

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    There's a new video out showcasing some of the weapons (and them in action)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6hSES1tlt0

• Options
    Oh, finally some actual gameplay.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Can you play an Apothecary? Who is going to go around yelling "PILLS HERE"?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's single player footage as the bottom left screen has 2 others on it labelled with f-keys? I wish there had been better footage used for the plasma cannon part; it seemed to just flip around some non-combat sections at that point and then a few missed shots.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2016
    Oh shit, its by the EYE guys? That means its going to be buggy and rough as shit, yet a ton of fun probably.

e:
    Looks like infinite ammo, and just had to reload/unjam. Nice!

Morkath on
  • Options
    thanks @cobell i was gonna post that when I got home today, but you beat me to it.
    looks pretty smooth gameplay-wise, but again... its in house vid. no preliminary scrimmages with a youtuber or 2...

weapons look pretty boss. its a good thing when I'm trying to decide what I want to take with me but the flamer is calling me.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Given the team that is working on it, I would be surprised if the weapons didn't feel good. EYE was basically an unofficial crazy french warhammer 40k game. All the weapons felt pretty satisfying to use, and it had a variety of melee/light/heavy weapons, and a ton of psionic powers.

If you have never played it, you should at least check out the demo.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I went ahead and pre-ordered this. I'm a Warhammer 40k fool.

And I loved vermintide. So...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So this, Tyranny, and Dishonored all come out in November, and also I defend my thesis in mid November, RIP me.

This looks rad although Terminator Apothecaries is kind of ?????

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Brief dev comment in the comments for that preview:
    Hi all,

Just to mention for those who compare to L4D or Vermintide. They are quite good games but I want to mention that we have given great importance to the solo campaign. It is a real solo game taking place in 9 levels. You play with 2 NPC teammates with a good AI (not simple bots). You can give them a dozen of different orders in order to employ the best tactics to crush your enemies. There is also hacking of some in-game elements. During the exploration of the Space Hulk, you can rediscover old and forgotten relics.

So it is playable in coop, but solo is not the coop campaign with bots taking place of players. The gameplay is actually quite different between solo and cooperative and focus has been made on the story.

• Options
    Thats basically why I haven't pre-ordered, I want to see details on the coop stuff/gameplay first.

• Options
    That sounds very... French.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    E.Y.E was buggy and I never managed to get the multiplayer properly. I did though enjoy what I played of it.

9 levels focused on solo play doesn't quiet fill me with confidence on the co-op aspect. I can think of nothing better than killing in the name of the emperor with other people.

Guess we have to wait and see as more details release.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Cobell wrote: »
    There's a new video out showcasing some of the weapons (and them in action)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6hSES1tlt0

Damn that looks shit hot, of course all I think when I am watching it is.. how sick would that be in VR.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I know its the deathwing, but I hope there are some cosmetic stuff so I can be a different chapter. Its not too much of a leap into deathwatch

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I want to be able to color myself the most garishly bright gold and green polished chrome possible like Dawn of War 2.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I want to be able to color myself the most garishly bright gold and green polished chrome possible like Dawn of War 2.

nPvGbSl.jpg

YOU WANNA STEP INTO THE SPACEHULK WITH THE BIGGEST ARMS IN THE IMPERIUM OF MAN, BROTHER?

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Oh no, I was so psyched about this until I read that single player heavy comment....

Makes it sounds like it's going to be Republic Commando 40k.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Still waiting for an actual release date that isn't "November". Not exactly inspiring confidence in the game.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Oh no, I was so psyched about this until I read that single player heavy comment....

Makes it sounds like it's going to be Republic Commando 40k.

Republic Commando was fucking awesome.

I am now even more excited

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Yeah the slow trickle of vague information that followed the reveal trailer has not been very encouraging. The game looks really cool, but that's about it (and I'm sure we're all now very familiar with a game looking great and turning up a lemon on release day).

• Options
    I know they're a small studio, but some communication and PR would be nice.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Pretty much. A friend of mine has been pushing me hard to get this day one. But the fact that they barely have any videos featuring gameplay, let alone some extended gameplay previews, is super worrying. Especially with release presumably less than a month out.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I was all in on the premise of Xenotide 40k.

Single player story missions with 2 AI squadmates with a smaller tacked on co-op mode...not so much.