Options

Access Hollywood presents: The [2016 Presidential Election] Shitshow Spectacular!

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Orca wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    That's pretty much ballgame then.

All that's left is the incoherent shouting.
    And in 8 years more and more people will begin to understand the implications of tech like self driving cars (automated farming, retail, customer service, etc.) and the Republican stance of "bootstraps, illegals taking yer jobs, and tax cuts for the rich" will carry less and less weight.

This is the beginning of the end for that nasty, nasty party. Wooooooo!

I don't see how that's true. Automation is driving people out of their jobs.

I'm a programmer. Automation is what programmers do. I don't see the process slowing down, and I don't have an answer. But the Republican party will welcome with open arms all those people angry about the loss of their jobs. The Democrats have been less effective at it, despite their history with labor unions.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this is over.
    What will the Rs do in response, stand against automation and AI development? And piss off their corporate overlords enjoying all of that cheap labor? They'll have to pick between the angry poor mobs and the monied parts of their party, and they need both to win.

Meanwhile, the Ds will advertise expanded wefare/saftey nets/UBI/etc. And win.

Darlan on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Ted Cruz Speaks:

"But why didn't they release it sooner? Like, during the primary?"

While I loathe Ted Cruz, he is not exactly wrong here

NBC aided and abetted a fascist sexual predator

Thankfully an irate staffer leaked it to Fahrenthold, who was more than happy to strengthen his claim to the Pulitzer.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Just for reference, I drove up NH today to sell some tires on craigslist (seacoast area to just about lakes/mtn region). I saw Ayotte signs, Hillary signs, Johnson signs and other local candidate signs. Not a single Trump sign.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Just for reference, I drove up NH today to sell some tires on craigslist (seacoast area to just about lakes/mtn region). I saw Ayotte signs, Hillary signs, Johnson signs and other local candidate signs. Not a single Trump sign.

NH dems REALLY need to keep tying Ayotte to Trump. Keep going back to that role model quote. She has to swing back with the quick disavowal, which will drive the 74% of GOP who still want Trump to just not vote.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Ted Cruz Speaks:

NBC and the producer company has a huge conflict of interest here because they built him up more than any other organization because of the Apprentice.

For them to turn around and say "this guy we gave 10+ seasons to was a giant raging asshole off camera" leads to the obvious question: why in God's name didn't they stop it? And if they didn't, anyone involved is going to try to sue them for it.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Ted Cruz Speaks:

Wait, what? #MSMBias? What is he suggesting here? That this tape was sitting ready to go and they deliberately sat on it because they wanted Trump to get the nomination so they could then spring this trap on him? I guess I answered my own rhetorical question, that must be exactly what he's suggesting, but man that's some conspiracy nonsense.

Much more likely, one person with the right access (Hollywood) just this week decided to go and put in the work to dig it up. I don't think it was sitting on a shelf labeled "The Tape For Destroying Trump" just waiting to be deployed.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

And in 8 years more and more people will begin to understand the implications of tech like self driving cars (automated farming, retail, customer service, etc.) and the Republican stance of "bootstraps, illegals taking yer jobs, and tax cuts for the rich" will carry less and less weight.

I'm a programmer. Automation is what programmers do. I don't see the process slowing down, and I don't have an answer. But the Republican party will welcome with open arms all those people angry about the loss of their jobs. The Democrats have been less effective at it, despite their history with labor unions.

What will the Rs do in response, stand against automation and AI development? And piss off their corporate overlords enjoying all of that cheap labor? They'll have to pick between the angry poor mobs and the monied parts of their party, and they need both to win.

They'll do what they've been doing so far to capture the rustbelt: make promises they can't keep, blame immigration and outsourcing for the fundamental changes in the economy, and provide an outlet for the rage at people having their incomes halved because the job they used to make a reasonable living at no longer exists. Those safety nets are for the welfare queens, the others that will exploit them, you know, the blacks.

It's worked tolerably well for them so far.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    If Trump tries to tie Hillary to Bill's actions, all she had to do is quote Melania's defense of Trump's actions and then add that Bill's actions are his and his to answer for, much like she won't blame Melania for Donald's actions.

I imagine she's already practiced a dozen versions of that defense.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Wrote this for Facebook about an hour ago, recounting the various things Trump has said and done on the campaign trail that were not enough to earn the disapproval of most Republican politicians:
    Dear Republican politicians announcing that you will not support Donald Trump for the presidency,

It is heartening to see that you have finally had enough of this thin-skinned, xenophobic, narcissistic, arrogant, racist, belligerent, misogynist blowhard. Now, at long last, you have had enough.

But it was not enough when he announced his bid for the presidency in a speech denouncing Mexican immigrants as criminals, rapists, and drug smugglers, a theme that has continued throughout his campaign.

It was not enough when he proposed a wall on the border between the United States and Mexico, a ludicrously foolish, expensive, and impractical notion.

It was not enough when he repeatedly demonized Muslims as violent terrorists, reaching a climax when he called for a 'suspension' of Muslim immigration, tarring 1.6 billion people by the actions of dozens.

It was not enough when his history of comments demeaning women in prior decades, including admissions that he had cheated on his wives and had affairs with married women, continued with insults against Megyn Kelly and Hillary Clinton.

It was not enough when he responded to terrorist attacks in Belgium and France by extolling his own genius and prescience in condemning an entire religion.

It was not enough when he mocked the erratic movements of a disabled reporter, an action later defended by Ann Coulter as mocking all handicapped people as if that were somehow better.

It was not enough when he rebutted the labeling of John McCain as a war hero. John McCain, who was shot down over Vietnam, badly wounded in the crash, and subsequently taken prisoner for five years. John McCain, who refused an offer of early release after three months in captivity because it would be dishonorable to go home before men who had been captured earlier. John McCain, who was forced into a staged confession after four days of brutal torture, but refused any further action even with further beatings; he never fully recovered from this treatment. This behavior, to Donald Trump, was unworthy of the title 'hero'.

It was not enough when he quoted 'Two Corinthians' at a speech at evangelical Liberty University, and stated that he had never felt a need for forgiveness.

It was not enough when he claimed to have seen news footage of thousands of Muslims celebrating 9/11 in New Jersey, of which there is no evidence.

It was not enough when news broke of 'Trump University', a scam purporting to instill real estate expertise condensed from Donald Trump's experience and personal instruction, but in fact preying on vulnerable people, defrauding them of tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for virtually no information or contact with the real estate magnate.

It was not enough when he insulted Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina during a debate, claiming the latter didn't look presidential and the former offered plenty of material for derogatory remarks about his appearance.

It was not enough when he proclaimed that the president had co-founded ISIS along with Secretary Clinton, and that the two were the MVPs of the terrorist organization, later incoherently characterizing his statements as 'sarcastic, but not that sarcastic'.

It was not enough when he displayed near-total ignorance of the nuclear triad, promoted nuclear proliferation in the expressed desire to have nuclear weapons possessed by Saudi Arabia, Japan, and South Korea, and professed great admiration and appreciation for the destruction wrought by nuclear weapons, devices capable of ending humanity if unleashed again.

It was not enough when he claimed that his schooling in a military-themed academy made him better trained than actual soldiers, extolled his love of and skill at warfare, and professed more knowledge of ISIS than the generals advising the President and directing our concerted efforts against them.

It was not enough when he lambasted two Muslim Gold Star parents for criticizing him at the Democratic National Convention, suggested that the silent mother, who had already explained that she finds it too difficult to remain composed when reminded of her dead son, had perhaps not been allowed to speak, and argued that his success in business was a sacrifice equivalent to the loss of their child.

It was not enough when, at the town hall forum, a woman asked him about veteran suicides and he opened by inaccurately correcting the figure she quoted, and days later proclaimed that some veterans are strong and can handle their experiences in combat, and some are weak and cannot.

It was not enough when he suggested that women who had abortions should be punished, countering decades of arguments from opponents of abortion that they are victims in this situation.

It was not enough when he claimed that African-American communities were the worst off they have ever been, apparently sinking below the depths of slavery and Jim Crow.

It was not enough when he claimed that the only way he could lose the election was if Secretary Clinton cheated, adding that there has been massive voter fraud for years, and pointed to Pennsylvania specifically as a state he should rightly win, despite Pennsylvania last voting for a Republican president in 1988.

It was not enough when he accepted a veteran's Purple Heart, commenting that getting it that way was much easier, having earlier expressed the desire to be a soldier. Donald Trump dodged the draft when he was of age.

It has not been enough that he has repeatedly criticized Secretary Clinton for her husband's infidelities, despite both cheating on his wives countless times and seeing nothing wrong with those perversions of his vows.

It has not been enough that he has spoken of his own daughter as a hypothetical potential romantic partner, and posed for numerous unsettling pictures with her.
    It was not enough when he claimed to have come to the conclusion that the first African-American president was born in the United States, and took credit for resolving the issue that he first began spewing nonsense about several years ago.

It was not enough when he stated that he would have a deportation force, going door-to-door to find and expel undocumented immigrants, splitting families and endangering people who were brought to this country as infants or toddlers and know no other land.

It was not enough that he claimed it was smart that he had paid no taxes for years in the 80s and 90s, having taken advantage of a billion-dollar loss to write off income for later returns while simultaneously being a tremendously successful businessman.

It was not enough when his spokeswoman inadvertently admitted that he had violated the embargo against Cuba, apparently believing that spending money there is only illegal in large amounts, or perhaps if one visits personally.

It was not enough when, after several contractors told stories of doing work for him and not being paid, he defended the practice by claiming that he was unsatisfied with their work, without naming a single flaw in any construction project.

It has not been enough that he has refused to release his tax returns, a practice begun by Richard Nixon while he was being audited, as Donald Trump claims to be as his excuse for not releasing them, with Eric Trump admitting that the returns have not been released and will not be due to embarrassing information contained within.

It has not been enough that since he announced his bid for the presidency, his campaign has been conducted in insults and lies.

It was not enough when he called for further punishment for five men wrongfully convicted of rape in Central Park, and released years ago, despite the real assailant having confessed, having his DNA matched to evidence from the crime scene, and being imprisoned before their release.

It was not enough that he showed no remorse for having called Alicia Machado, a winner of one of his beauty pageants, Miss Piggy, for gaining weight after she won, and Miss Housekeeper, for being from Venezuela, even reiterating the accuracy of the first insult.

It was not enough when he tweeted attacks at her in the wee hours of the night after the debate, proclaiming himself virtuous for being awake then to slur her further, and suggested without a shred of evidence that Secretary Clinton had somehow wielded her influence to smooth and shorten Ms. Machado's path to citizenship.

Only now is it enough, now that a tape has emerged in which he boasts of his power to grope women, because of his celebrity status, and discusses his pursuit of a married woman, with his own wife newly pregnant at the time. A tape, moreover, that tells us nothing we did not already know: Donald Trump is a vulgar, unfaithful, predatorial man who believes he is entitled to whatever he wants, including women. That, it seems, is your sticking point. Everything else you could accept, but not that.

Now, you say, you cannot support Donald Trump. Now, you urge him to resign the nomination, or pledge to write in another candidate. Now, you attempt to avoid electoral consequences for your backing of this horribly damaged and dangerous individual. There are two possibilities with this action – perhaps you know that it is far too late for ballots to be reprinted, many having been sent out or returned already, or for any candidate to register as write-in, without which status any vote cast for said candidate is discarded and meaningless, and you are liars. Alternatively, perhaps you do not know any of that, and you are fools. Now, you attempt to stall this beast you have helped to create.

No. There shall be no forgiveness for this utter cowardice at the eleventh hour from those who see Donald Trump as despicable. Nor will there be acceptance for this betrayal, from those who see him as admirable, and even the comments on that tape as utterly ordinary. Those supporters are the ones truly in control of the Republican Party now, for they are the ones who nominated him, and they are angry at the failure of those they have elected to satisfy the desires that were encouraged with years of bile and vitriol.

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place, those of you who never fought against the rise of Donald Trump, and you deserve every bit of it.
    When I read over this again, I hear Keith Olbermann saying it all.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cruz is just acting like a petulant child because his presidential run - supposedly ordained by God Himself, you'll recall - has flamed out in the most miserable way possible.

Trying to hold himself above the fray, he succeeded only in looking like an arrogant ass; trying to capitalize at the last opportune moment, he merely compounded his own moral debasement. He burned down every possible bridge and made the universal distaste for him among his colleagues a matter of public record.

Again, this election. It's almost literary.

Duffel on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

They'll do what they've been doing so far to capture the rustbelt: make promises they can't keep, blame immigration and outsourcing for the fundamental changes in the economy, and provide an outlet for the rage at people having their incomes halved because the job they used to make a reasonable living at no longer exists. Those safety nets are for the welfare queens, the others that will exploit them, you know, the blacks.

Exactly.

Playing the poors against the corporates has been their entire strategy for a generation now. I don't see why it would suddenly stop working.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Exactly.

Playing the poors against the corporates has been their entire strategy for a generation now. I don't see why it would suddenly stop working.
    It's a lot easier to galvanize people along racial and national lines than "this tech our international rivals are using anyways."

Edit: But yeah I'm probably being overly optimistic.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Wrote this for Facebook about an hour ago, recounting the various things Trump has said and done on the campaign trail that were not enough to earn the disapproval of most Republican politicians:

Where's the Witness Me button when you need it?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    To me, this election is America's BrExit.

Parliament knew that they shouldn't call a referendum, that it was stupid economically, socially, and politically. But they did it for stunt points to solidify their base and party. Then it fucking passed, and now they're all frantically trying to figure out what the fuck to do, because despite calling the referendum, that's exactly what they *didn't* want to happen.

The American Media is alike to Britain's conservative party. The media knew that Trump was completely unpresidential, yet all through the primary cycle they gave him press time, free advertising, and never highlighted the numerous, on record things that showed how utterly irresponsible it would be to nominate him. The media never thought he would get nominated, but then, thanks to their portrayal....

Fuck, he's nominated. Alright, well, he'll never win the presidency, right? Wrong. The media has given him such a helping hand early in the election and all through the primaries that now they're scrambling to fix their Brexit. The news is 24/7 calling on his buffoonery, so much that even Fox news is doing it, because they done goofed and don't want Trump to be the American BrExit.

All in all: Fuck you, American Media. Stop playing poker with my future.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Ted Cruz Speaks:

Thankfully an irate staffer leaked it to Fahrenthold, who was more than happy to strengthen his claim to the Pulitzer.

they're going to rename it to the "Farenthold" at this rate

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    schuss wrote: »

For contrast, I drove down through NH almost exactly a week ago, and while I wouldn't say Trump signs were everywhere, they were certainly very much in evidence. Usually under an Ayotte sign.

• Options
    North Carolina is looking very, very good. Thank FSM Trump has no ground game:

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ted Cruz Speaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKHzTtr_lNk

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Hillary walks up to her podium tomorrow night, and she's got her little bundle of notes in front of her.

The top page is entirely blank, except for two words, neatly underlined.

"Double tap."

I know this is from a few pages back, but lets not do this. In general people here are not ok with republicans making gun related comments pointed at democrats. So we should have the same reaction even when they are pointed at people we don't like.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Hillary walks up to her podium tomorrow night, and she's got her little bundle of notes in front of her.

"Double tap."

I know this is from a few pages back, but lets not do this. In general people here are not ok with republicans making gun related comments pointed at an opponent. So we should have the same reaction even when they are pointed at people we don't like.
    Elki wrote:
    f the current topic of the thread is not to your liking then talk about something else, but refrain from making "can we not []? posts. Feel free to not by yourself, and use the report button for rule-breaking posts.

Pretty sure we did a good job of not engaging the comment.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Ted Cruz Speaks:

If only Ted Cruz had run against Trump in the primary. Maybe his oppo research team could have found and released the tape!

sig.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's hardly a secret that Hollywood has a pretty massive issue with sexually exploiting women

Donald Trump's objectification of women fits right in.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    How very special that the men's rights activists' favorite candidate ever is focusing entirely on calling another man a rapist without evidence.
    Maybe not Broadrick per se but Bill's definitely a predator. There's a long list of women who claim sexual harrassment or worse, and where there's smoke there's fire. Unfortunately it's hard to tell which of them are telling the truth, thanks to an active campaign by the Democrats to make them look like nuts and frauds planted by the GOP.

Dude, Bill has a history of having affairs. I think nobody denies that anymore. Nor does anybody deny that Bill Clinton is a very charming man.

He also has a complete history of being investigated by conservative Special Prosecutors on a Crusade. Kenneth Starr most notably. Guy was empowered to investigate a potential property scandal in Whitewater and from that he spun the Lewinsky affair into an impeachment. I mean people are still trying to figure out how an investigation into an early 80s real estate deal gone bad turned into a close look at blowjobs in the oval office 15 years later.

If there was even an ember of a fire in Broadrick's or any other case he would have found it and blown it wide open. The fact that Broadrick is the best the Right can come up with should tell you much about what they got.

And its not like there isn't precedence for people making shit up about Bill just for money/attention. The most memorable one was that he had a half-black child with a streetwalker. It was hyped up so much that a tabloid took a DNA test of the boy and compared it to the one in the Starr Report. No DNA connection was made.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    e: Not engaging as per the rules.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    f the current topic of the thread is not to your liking then talk about something else, but refrain from making "can we not []? posts. Feel free to not by yourself, and use the report button for rule-breaking posts.

Whoops. Sorry I missed that.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Trump using the N-word is not really surprising but would be pretty damning if the tape were leaked.

NDA's can really, really suck.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    Cruz is just acting like a petulant child because his presidential run - supposedly ordained by God Himself, you'll recall - has flamed out in the most miserable way possible.

Trying to hold himself above the fray, he succeeded only in looking like an arrogant ass; trying to capitalize at the last opportune moment, he merely compounded his own moral debasement. He burned down every possible bridge and made the universal distaste for him among his colleagues a matter of public record.

Again, this election. It's almost literary.

Oh, I too believe Cruz' presidential run was ordained by God.

I just disagree with him on the reason why God ordained it. Also, I believe it went exactly as God planned it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay.. I need to go post that tweet towards Fantasy Flight and Netrunner. A friggin Leak Fee is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard of.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Elki wrote:

Whoops. Sorry I missed that.

To be fair that's from the old thread OP; the rules never made it into this one when emergent ridiculousness required the formation of a new thread.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular

Trump is really going down this road. I'm sure his defense of "Bill is a sexual predator too guys" will play very well with voters.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Tonight is going to be a shitshow

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Seal wrote: »

Trump is really going down this road. I'm sure his defense of "Bill is a sexual predator too guys" will play very well with voters.

This will be his stepping stone to the reallllly insane alt-right conspiracy theories about Hillary. He's going FULL BREITBART tonight.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

"Double tap."

I know this is from a few pages back, but lets not do this. In general people here are not ok with republicans making gun related comments pointed at democrats. So we should have the same reaction even when they are pointed at people we don't like.

Sorry, I was trying to witty and didn't think of the broader implications. Was supposed to be a joke about Trump's campaign being a zombie, not a suggestion that Hillary should literally kill Trump.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A leak fee? What the hell is a leak fee?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm starting to wonder if the RNC will somehow physically try to keep Trump off the stage tonight

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump using the N-word is not really surprising but would be pretty damning if the tape were leaked.

NDA's can really, really suck.

GoFundMe, or just get Mark Cuban to promise 5 mill to anyone that gets caught.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

The penalty for breaking the NDA.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Given the context, I assume that's the fine for breaking the NDA.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular

Seems pretty self-explanatory - if you get caught leaking stuff that you don't legally own, they hit you with a $5mil penalty.

I guarantee there are 5 million people in the states who would part with a buck to see Trump sunk even further. Probably impossible to do it that way, though.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

Trump is convinced that anything that works at one of his rallies will work just as well on moderates and swing voters

Even though he's had months now of it plainly not working

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.