Options

Access Hollywood presents: The [2016 Presidential Election] Shitshow Spectacular!

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump using the N-word is not really surprising but would be pretty damning if the tape were leaked.

NDA's can really, really suck.

wait. it gets better:

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    5 million isn't stopping anyone from releasing something like that. The book deal makes it up and then some

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it was already posted, but Maggie Haberman at the NYT wrote a nice little article about yesterday in Trump Tower. Some choice quotes:
    But he was criticized for ending his statement with a dig at the Clintons and for not apologizing to his wife, Melania, in his remarks. To him, the criticism was an affirmation that “nothing he can say or do” would reduce the hostility directed his way, according to one of the people with knowledge of how he feels.
    Other advisers assured Mr. Trump that attacking Mrs. Clinton over her husband’s behavior with women, and over reports that she had defended his behavior, would help rally Republicans again.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    5 million isn't stopping anyone from releasing something like that. The book deal makes it up and then some

But Trump using the n-word could drive up right-wing enthusiasm, so maybe the tapes shouldn't be released.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular

I wouldn't bet $5 million in the hole on this unless I had the most ironclad contract ever written by mankind.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    And did the Emails Wikileaks released contain any thing bad? I'm seeimg a lot of carefully cut quotes online to make what she said fit the authors intentions, so its hard to say.
    Not anything we didn't already know i.e. behind closed doors she supports free trade, open borders and Wall Street self-regulation. But there's nothing in there equivalent to the "47%" slip-up of yesteryear.

Except none of that is true.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

But Trump using the n-word could drive up right-wing enthusiasm, so maybe the tapes shouldn't be released.

" He says what I'm thinking !"

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

" He says what I'm thinking !"

That basket of deplorables...it wasn't nice to say, but it wasn't wrong.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    So are we going to start seeing this impact the nowcast? Clinton's big surge after the first debate was within 2-3 days.

Of course we may also be at the point where Trump's remaining supporters don't give a shit, and Clinton is embedding her lead but not really increasing it.

• Options
    If you've ever quoted rap lyrics you've said worse things!

An actual defense of the trump tapes.... *vomits in mouth as brain dies a little more*

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That does not surprise me at all, and Mark Burnett is also a racist, though smarter about it. If you ever want to have a real hilarious time, watch for the way black contestants are cast and edited on Survivor. Juuuuuuust a few stereotypes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So Chuck Todd on Meet The Press impressed me. Pressing Giuliani on sexual assault vs words, then when he uses wikileaks to attack Hillary about private vs public persona turns it right back to Trump's private person on the Access Hollywood bus...

e: Also the incredulity in Todd's voice when Giuliani goes Full Breitbart.

Holy shit, a reporter actually being a reporter. It's about time we saw that on TV news. If only they'd do that more often.

Here's the link for those interested.

I'm starting to wonder if Trump is holding some of Guliani's family members hostage.

What an absolutely reprehensible piece of human garbage. That clip makes me physically ill.

• Options
    Taximes wrote: »
    So are we going to start seeing this impact the nowcast? Clinton's big surge after the first debate was within 2-3 days.

Of course we may also be at the point where Trump's remaining supporters don't give a shit, and Clinton is embedding her lead but not really increasing it.

People were poised to take polls after the debate and some of that was increases she was already about to get: this one should take at least four or five days to show up.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A leak fee? What the hell is a leak fee?

Pre-defined penalty for breaking an nda. To be fair, those things protect not shitheel people as well.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    To me, this election is America's BrExit.

Parliament knew that they shouldn't call a referendum, that it was stupid economically, socially, and politically. But they did it for stunt points to solidify their base and party. Then it fucking passed, and now they're all frantically trying to figure out what the fuck to do, because despite calling the referendum, that's exactly what they *didn't* want to happen.

The American Media is alike to Britain's conservative party. The media knew that Trump was completely unpresidential, yet all through the primary cycle they gave him press time, free advertising, and never highlighted the numerous, on record things that showed how utterly irresponsible it would be to nominate him. The media never thought he would get nominated, but then, thanks to their portrayal....

Fuck, he's nominated. Alright, well, he'll never win the presidency, right? Wrong. The media has given him such a helping hand early in the election and all through the primaries that now they're scrambling to fix their Brexit. The news is 24/7 calling on his buffoonery, so much that even Fox news is doing it, because they done goofed and don't want Trump to be the American BrExit.

All in all: Fuck you, American Media. Stop playing poker with my future.

I disagree heartily that they never highlighted the awful things he's said and done

how did we know them so well? all of his awfulness was on TV CONSTANTLY

yet, he still had support. those people who are still supporting him now? they don't care what the media says. that is, not only do they generally not trust them but they also don't really care about awful things trump has said and done.

I know it's nice to blame the media and pretend they really have this much power because it makes the world seem orderly, makes the devil really obvious. unfortunately it's just not true.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't feel liek him saying the n word would really mean anything at this point unless the context is particularly awful. I doubt there's a single person that would be surprised by it and anyone paying attention already knows he's a racist. those that don't won't be convinced of it just because he used a slur.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    You can be as racist as you want in American politics, but you have to frame it in a certain way.

Using the n-word is not one of those ways. That's the point where even other racists will start distancing themselves from you, in order to demonstrate that they themselves are Not Racist.

Duffel on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It's hardly a secret that Hollywood has a pretty massive issue with sexually exploiting women

Donald Trump's objectification of women fits right in.

Yeah. The whole "You'll never work in this town again!" dynamic allows a lot of horrific bullshit to continue unopposed. Absent major cultural change, I would support legislation that would allow someone to sue based on future lifetime career earning in that town, since that's the only way to even come close to evening out that dynamic.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Charlie Pierce also has words for the Republican Party.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Duffel wrote: »
    You can be as racist as you want in American politics, but you have to frame it in a certain way.

Using the n-word is not one of those ways. That's the point where even other racists will start distancing themselves from you, in order to demonstrate that they themselves are Not Racist.

The trouble is that the GOP has cultivated an ignorant, racist base who no longer give a shit about the rules of decorum. The establishment types are caught in a trap where they either have to support a candidate who spouts this shit or risk losing the support of a base who actively wants leaders who go on TV and spout racist and sexist bullshit.

The only sliver of light in this is that it looks like GOP women are statistically slightly less likely to go along with this at the voting booth. That's because they know well enough that they live at the knife's edge of this trend - sexist leaders will ultimately fuck them and their daughters in the workplace and heighten their risk for sexual assault.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it was already posted, but Maggie Haberman at the NYT wrote a nice little article about yesterday in Trump Tower. Some choice quotes:
    But he was criticized for ending his statement with a dig at the Clintons and for not apologizing to his wife, Melania, in his remarks. To him, the criticism was an affirmation that “nothing he can say or do” would reduce the hostility directed his way, according to one of the people with knowledge of how he feels.
    Other advisers assured Mr. Trump that attacking Mrs. Clinton over her husband’s behavior with women, and over reports that she had defended his behavior, would help rally Republicans again.

I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY I'M SORRY, BUT YOU MADE ME, AND NOW LOOK THEY'RE STILL ANGRY AT ME, I HATE YOU

Donald Trump is seriously a 70 year old child

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I mean, people are playing it off as "Oh man, 90% of his base will stick with him."

Losing 10% of your base is a big freaking deal. That's 4 points. He only led *Alaska* by three in a recent poll. Trump losing four points from where he was right before the tapes come out means we'll spend election night rooting for Texas to put her over 400 EVs.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm fairly certain dropping the N word is "even worse", not because anyone will be surprised by it, but instead because it's going to create an even more clear voting divide among the GOP base. That's the kind of thing that will get Republicans at each other's throats defending and arguing against it.

Edit: To clarify, on a personal, voter level. Not the reps. Joe and Jake arguing.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't feel liek him saying the n word would really mean anything at this point unless the context is particularly awful. I doubt there's a single person that would be surprised by it and anyone paying attention already knows he's a racist. those that don't won't be convinced of it just because he used a slur.

We said the same thing about his history of mysoginy but only an actual tape about it is what made an impact.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

An actual defense of the trump tapes.... *vomits in mouth as brain dies a little more*

A. As it happens, I have never quoted rap lyrics.

B. Quoting something without sharing the intent is not the same as saying it yourself.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

that would be catastrophic for the R undercard

*rubs hands together with glee*

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Yeah, Trump can't afford to lose even a single point in the popular vote. He was already likely to lose based on post-debate numbers last week. So nothing short of an incredibly successful debate will save him from the fallout of this I think even if "almost" all of his support remains.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    There's zero chance that trump saying the N word doesn't tank him further.

There will be a lot of people defending it with "it's old, who cares" and "boys will be boys", but it'll ring hollow and he'll shed voters. The fact there are voters who would stick with him throughout it is unpleasant, but that doesn't mean every one of his voters is that way.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

That's bad for him. He was in the 80s and his hope for getting it close was to get it into the 90s. He's losing ground.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain dropping the N word is "even worse", not because anyone will be surprised by it, but instead because it's going to create an even more clear voting divide among the GOP base. That's the kind of thing that will get Republicans at each other's throats defending and arguing against it.

Edit: To clarify, on a personal, voter level. Not the reps. Joe and Jake arguing.

Sadly, I don't think you'll find as many conservatives as you think that would care too much privately about direct racism. There's just too much racism ingrained in the party hidden by "law and order" and "bootstraps" rhetoric. Racism runs deep even in the suit and tie faction.

That's why this is so damaging. Trump spitting racial slurs get tut-tutted. Trump directly saying he likes to sexual assault women gets the "My wife/daughter/sister may have to deal with this shit" reaction.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Looking forward to Giuliani saying oh hell all of us use the n-word in private that's just how white people talk.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm definitely seeing a lot of downplaying of Trump's thing in my FB feed today. It's either "these comments were from 11 years ago!" or "But the Clintons did this!"

I actually am a little on edge about the debate tonight, if only because things are so unpredictable now.

People have been having fun with that on twitter:

For those who can't see embedded tweets, it's a reply to someone who said the "if you've ever quoted rap lyrics..." thing:
    "Uh, wickey wild wild
    Wicky wicky wild
    Wickey wild, wicky wicky wild wild wild west"

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Sadly, I don't think you'll find as many conservatives as you think that would care too much privately about direct racism. There's just too much racism ingrained in the party hidden by "law and order" and "bootstraps" rhetoric. Racism runs deep even in the suit and tie faction.

That's why this is so damaging. Trump spitting racial slurs get tut-tutted. Trump directly saying he likes to sexual assault women gets the "My wife/daughter/sister may have to deal with this shit" reaction.

Trump has not, if I recall, been taped saying any racial slurs. He has said a lot of racist and bigoted things, yes, but that's "acceptable" to a lot of people while direct slurs aren't. "I'm not bigoted, but there are some bad ones" is a pretty standard refrain; "I'm not bigoted, but fuck the *slurs*" is not.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »

Bad.... FOR OBAMA!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    There's zero chance that trump saying the N word doesn't tank him further.

There will be a lot of people defending it with "it's old, who cares" and "boys will be boys", but it'll ring hollow and he'll shed voters. The fact there are voters who would stick with him throughout it is unpleasant, but that doesn't mean every one of his voters is that way.

Yes, there are people that will argue till blue in the face that the only thing valid to call racism is the N word.

Actually having documented usage of that would shred the last line of defence.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So Chuck Todd on Meet The Press impressed me. Pressing Giuliani on sexual assault vs words, then when he uses wikileaks to attack Hillary about private vs public persona turns it right back to Trump's private person on the Access Hollywood bus...

e: Also the incredulity in Todd's voice when Giuliani goes Full Breitbart.

Holy shit, a reporter actually being a reporter. It's about time we saw that on TV news. If only they'd do that more often.

Here's the link for those interested.

I'm starting to wonder if Trump is holding some of Guliani's family members hostage.

"We need someone who will say the words 'Radical Islamic Terrorism' so we can finally defeat them."

Wow, I had no idea that the President of the United States merely speaking those words aloud would cast the magic spell that would cleanse ISIS & Co. from the Earth!

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »

It would translate to him losing 2-3 points in the overall national polling.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Both. It's significantly lower than it was but also not as low as it could be.

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.