Options

Unfortunately, you usually need a [job] to survive

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    During EuroPAX 2012 we had lengthy discussions on whether you would rather have a lion eat your hand or have sex with the same lion

Iiii really can't remember why that was so relevant
    Alcohol?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I got a F you at work last night
    Because they announced who is going to the new shifts in the pre meeting so I asked why was I overlooked in over another person and was told we need you for this shift
    To which I answered the 4 times I have tired for that job are......?
    But this was in front of a lot of my co workers and some of the things said were where I turned the store in for being shit to the company with a few pictures {Oh they were mad and still mad I did that as "we wanted to talk about that before you did that" a lot of my co workers did not know that you could do that or that was the story behind the constant visits from high ups
    Still I told them that the only place I seem to be wanted to go is out those doors

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    We start our SAP go-live on Monday. It's going to be an absolute shitshow.

Pray for Zimbra.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Smoooof

As someone who survived being stalked by lions, is this accurate information (actual segment starts thirty seconds in)

And do lions really move like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq43jnM_hkI&feature=youtu.be&t=32s

I've heard the best way to survive being hunted is to not act like prey and instead act like a predator (which we are). Predators don't really like to kill other predators because it's risky as fuck and not usually worth the gains unless you're desperate and/or hungry. So like, be loud and puff yourself out and throw shit at them.

Not sure how true that is.

That would probably work great if the predator is hunting you for food.

If the predator isn't hunting and is just pissed off at you for reasons (defending cubs, startled, just an asshole predator, etc) then it is probably less effective.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Pray for Zimbra.

As someone who has survived an SAP go-live, may god have mercy on your soul.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Pray for Zimbra.

I predict 18 months of pain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Pray for Zimbra.

Our Oracle go-live was... 2 (?) years ago. I don't know if the pain is gone.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Every SAP problem I have right now follows the same path:

SAP seems to randomly not trigger a thing that makes this order incomplete. This other completely identical order, everything is triggered on that, but not on this.

We can't make it trigger, we have to find a way to do it manually, and I think I know which transaction to use.

No one actually has access to that transaction. Well crapbaskets.

Except the outsourced support guy who probably has access to it because I guess it's technically his job, but I'd rather sever a limb than tell him to go into SAP and start messing with stuff.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    godmode wrote: »
    There's just something about PAX South...

Last year while attending, I received word that I was going to Japan for two months. It was a great time!

This year, about 10 minutes ago in fact, I have officially accepted a new job with a new company offering a 20% salary increase and the possibility of more Japan trips.

Way to go, Hitler.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Pray for Zimbra.

Somehow, despite this switchover having been in the works for at least four years we are totally unprepared and oh my god there's going to be so much blood.

• Options

Pray for Zimbra.

Somehow, despite this switchover having been in the works for at least four years we are totally unprepared and oh my god there's going to be so much blood.

What are you switching from? SAP is pretty decent.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »

Pray for Zimbra.

Right now we have a partial SAP implementation, mostly for interco ordering and some of our inventory. Other than that we use a hodgepodge of 3rd party programs for stuff like lab inventory, project management, accounting, document control, and quality notofications. The rest of the company is strictly SAP so this will attempt to bring us in line with everyone else. Basically they should have done this 13 years ago when they acquired our site but decided it was too much trouble.

To give you an idea of how this is going: One of the big reasons we're doing this is to have better visibility in our supply chain so we can plan projects more accurately around material availability. Except the next step up in the supply chain from us is on a different version of SAP, so we won't actually have any more visibility until whenever they get around to upgrading their system. Instead we're just plugging a bunch of "best guess" timeframes for materials into our system and hoping for the best.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, got my annual review today and received a 4/5 score. Which is good, because this leads into the whole "looking to become a senior developer" career goal.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Smoooof

As someone who survived being stalked by lions, is this accurate information (actual segment starts thirty seconds in)

It is fairly accurate.

That is also probably the most disturbing CGI I've ever seen.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Listen someone's gotta hire the ITT tech graphic arts kids.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    seeing as how i was put under a new manager a few weeks ago i do not think i'll be getting a performance review. regardless, i'm unlikely to have gotten a raise, no matter how stellar my performance may have been.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Smoooof

It is fairly accurate.

They also have one on how to survive a bear attack and as a last-resort tactic, they recommend shoving your arm down the bear's throat

Which apparently some guy did in 2015
    Dellwo said he only had time to take a few steps back before the bear knocked him off his feet and bit his head. [...] The bear then bit Dellwo’s leg and shook him, tossing him in the air. As the bear came at the man again Dellwo recalled a story he read in a magazine.

“I remembered an article that my grandmother gave me a long time ago that said large animals have bad gag reflexes,” he said. “So I shoved my right arm down his throat.”

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Ugh, just finishing up my first twelve hour night shift. It's been pretty brutal for someone used to working 8 hour evening shifts. But I get the next three days off, then I work 12 hour day shifts for the next five weeks, then switch back to 12 hour night shifts, etc.

I miss evening shift already, but the 12 hour rotating shifts are here to stay unfortunately. :(

once you get used to 12h shifts they aren't so bad. Although being on straight nights for 5 weeks i can see sucking.

Are you working 40 hour weeks (possibly averaged over 5 weeks)? If so, you will get more actual days off than working 8h shifts.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Smoooof

It is fairly accurate.

They also have one on how to survive a bear attack and as a last-resort tactic, they recommend shoving your arm down the bear's throat

Which apparently some guy did in 2015
    Dellwo said he only had time to take a few steps back before the bear knocked him off his feet and bit his head. [...] The bear then bit Dellwo’s leg and shook him, tossing him in the air. As the bear came at the man again Dellwo recalled a story he read in a magazine.

“I remembered an article that my grandmother gave me a long time ago that said large animals have bad gag reflexes,” he said. “So I shoved my right arm down his throat.”

"Unfortunately this bear was apparently deep throat, so I had to just like keep working that arm in his throat until he well he came and left, this is the most embarrassing story."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Don't call me on speaker phone when you have music blaring in your office.

• Options
    I'd prefer if no one used speakerphone ever.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I use it a decent amount, because a lot of times I need to be doing things on my computer at the same time.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Speakerphone on office phones is fine

on cellphones is basically non-functioning.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Found out ineffectual weekend supervisor got promoted to be my boss, and I got a middling annual review. Fuck this, going to dump most of my shit on her, stop coming in early and insist on leaving when I'm supposed to.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    There's just something about PAX South...

Last year while attending, I received word that I was going to Japan for two months. It was a great time!

This year, about 10 minutes ago in fact, I have officially accepted a new job with a new company offering a 20% salary increase and the possibility of more Japan trips.

Way to go, Hitler.

My most shameful legacy

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Found out ineffectual weekend supervisor got promoted to be my boss, and I got a middling annual review. Fuck this, going to dump most of my shit on her, stop coming in early and insist on leaving when I'm supposed to.

Burn it all down*.

*In a way that still provides you food and shelter and like, money.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Just finished my last day at the current place. Taking Monday and Tuesday off before I start my new job on Wednesday.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am now certified to use humans as research subjects! Yay?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

We need a geth awesome on this

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular

Pray for Zimbra.

Right now we have a partial SAP implementation, mostly for interco ordering and some of our inventory. Other than that we use a hodgepodge of 3rd party programs for stuff like lab inventory, project management, accounting, document control, and quality notofications. The rest of the company is strictly SAP so this will attempt to bring us in line with everyone else. Basically they should have done this 13 years ago when they acquired our site but decided it was too much trouble.

To give you an idea of how this is going: One of the big reasons we're doing this is to have better visibility in our supply chain so we can plan projects more accurately around material availability. Except the next step up in the supply chain from us is on a different version of SAP, so we won't actually have any more visibility until whenever they get around to upgrading their system. Instead we're just plugging a bunch of "best guess" timeframes for materials into our system and hoping for the best.

SAP? Read this: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

The only reason I read this is so I feel better about my experience with SAP.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

It's really not as cool as it sounds. I had to read through this long online certification text and take quizzes each chapter. Took about four hours.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Had my 5 hour long interview, pretty gruelling but their competency based questions and roleplaying weeded out 4 of the 7 people I started the day with

Looking hopeful, haven't had a full time job with good benefits in forever

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I hope you didn't play a Malkavian, they usually hate that unless you have an original way to play one.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
    That was a joke

• Options
    Kipling wrote: »

Pray for Zimbra.

SAP? Read this: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

The only reason I read this is so I feel better about my experience with SAP.

Oh yeah, that article's been e-mailed around the office a couple of times.

My opinion of SAP is that it's bad, but the alternatives are worse.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I made 30,000 this year and might have taken enough withholding to not pay anything this time.

Most of that went to family

That was also from three jobs.

Be really nice to have extra capital to get online certification in something to help job chances. Like gis certification.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This is incredibly trivial compared to the real physical threats that many people in the us are now facing, but when I moved here it was with the intent of leveraging my current position into a job in the us robotics/space industry, because up until now this is where things have been really happening, and it's exciting and I wanted to do stuff that would eventually matter.

And now, even if I can stay beyond this visa, I'm not sure I should. Or if there's a path for me here, given the political and economic climate. It's probably the jetlag talking, but I abruptly feel very adrift.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    can I crash on your couch when you leave

bowen on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    This week has been super bad and good lord I am tired of working on commission, and also sales, and also people.

I've been resisting going all in on job hunting, thinking I can just survive till fall, but I don't know if I can handle too many more weeks like this.

So fuck this, time to buckle down and go nuts applying to everything that I even think I'm qualified for. Also time to study up on all my old RF/electrical theory knowledge, cause taking a year off sure didn't do me any good in that area.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    can I crash on your couch when you leave

you absolutely can, provided I can somehow acquire a couch
    or take mine with me, but at this point I'm legit worried about being turned away at the border next time I try to enter so I might have to abandon my belongings

This discussion has been closed.