As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Damnation. A shop in my country got copies of Millennium Blades. There are extremely few games I want to try more than Millennium Blades (ie, the list is Vast: The Crystal Caverns and that's it), but I absolutely shouldn't buy it because I will be able to play it literally never (because it's a very complex game in English). But it's still tempting me even though, for the money they ask, I'd be able to buy two separate games that would have better chances of getting to the table.

Must exercise basic fiscal responsibility.

I like the idea and design of Millenium Blades but set-up and tear down is UNBEARABLE. It brings a good 9 game down to a 4 it's so bad.

I may play it once more and then it's going.

Yeah watching LRR's AFK stream of the game completely killed what little interest I still had before they even started playing. I get that L99 recommends you leave the shop deck the same for multiple sessions but then all the other unused stuff is just extra weight.

I don't see how it's worse than Legendary? You just pick some stuff and shuffle a big deck.

There are several reasons I don't own Legendary and this is on the list.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever played Carcassonne. Probably should get on that.

Yeah it is the granddaddy of tile laying games. If you have played Cacao, Isle of Skye, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Limes, etc you probably understand the mechanic. For most people though, the first game where you are building the board as you play is one of those "mind-blown" experiences.

I've never played, or heard of, any of those games either.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Yeah it is the granddaddy of tile laying games. If you have played Cacao, Isle of Skye, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Limes, etc you probably understand the mechanic. For most people though, the first game where you are building the board as you play is one of those "mind-blown" experiences.

If you've been in previous incarnations of this thread you have definitely heard of Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Damnation. A shop in my country got copies of Millennium Blades. There are extremely few games I want to try more than Millennium Blades (ie, the list is Vast: The Crystal Caverns and that's it), but I absolutely shouldn't buy it because I will be able to play it literally never (because it's a very complex game in English). But it's still tempting me even though, for the money they ask, I'd be able to buy two separate games that would have better chances of getting to the table.

I like the idea and design of Millenium Blades but set-up and tear down is UNBEARABLE. It brings a good 9 game down to a 4 it's so bad.

Yeah watching LRR's AFK stream of the game completely killed what little interest I still had before they even started playing. I get that L99 recommends you leave the shop deck the same for multiple sessions but then all the other unused stuff is just extra weight.

I don't see how it's worse than Legendary? You just pick some stuff and shuffle a big deck.

So... we have to own one or the other?

They're both pretty terrible for set up. Millenium Blades is just a much much much better game as well but it's "big deck" is pretty dang massive. At least Legendary has several smaller manageable decks.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

BURN THE HERETIC

• Options

If you've been in previous incarnations of this thread you have definitely heard of Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Sadly no, must have been before my time.

BURN THE HERETIC

He's a witch!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

Almost certainly not before your time ;-)
    I learned of it from this thread, and I could swear you were in this thread before me

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

They're both pretty terrible for set up. Millenium Blades is just a much much much better game as well but it's "big deck" is pretty dang massive. At least Legendary has several smaller manageable decks.

I would qualify many other games as much worse. Feast for Odin without an insert, most 4X, Caverna, Eldritch Horror and the like, Orleans, etc.

I would not put Millenium Blades in the top half of complicated and time consuming set up among games I own.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't own Carcassone but I would be totally down for playing it if someone brought it to the table.

Although, real talk, it's been so long since I've gotten to play board games with people that I would settle for just about anything that I already know how to play.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    So my wife and I recently started getting into board games and we started with what I heard were a few good entries into various genres--Dominion for deckbuilding, Lords of Waterdeep for worker placement, and Forbidden Island for cooperative. They've all been a lot of fun, so yeah, new hobby!

Trying to decide now where to go next; I think we'd like to try another new category rather than diving deeper just yet. We rarely play with more than the two of us, so I was thinking 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, or Carcassonne, but I'd love alternative suggestions if anybody has any.

Carcassonne is typically considered by many people as 'babies first board game' in the path to bankrup...erh hobby board gaming.

It's still a decent game, just on the simple side (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

This is REALLY selling Carcassonne short. I've never heard it described that way, usually it's called things more like a classic of board gaming and one of the definitive gateway games. The basic rules are quite simple, but it can be very cutthroat and strategic, especially with fewer players.

I think I remember hearing that the new Z-man edition makes farmers an optional rule though, which I would agree makes the game way too simple. But with farmers it's great, and it's very modular with the expansions. It's probably still my favorite board game.

yeah, gateway game is more fair than babies first game. its how i meant it.
    The Bankruptcy thing is real tho.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options

I would qualify many other games as much worse. Feast for Odin without an insert, most 4X, Caverna, Eldritch Horror and the like, Orleans, etc.

I would not put Millenium Blades in the top half of complicated and time consuming set up among games I own.

I would and I own over 300 of them. I put it at the very toop in fact, like top 5 easily. It's not complicated it's just annoying as hell. The ones you listed don't even come close for me.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I would settle for just about anything that I already know how to play.
    Wait, what is this? What is "already know how to play"? I thought "Getting together to play board games" means "Spending a couple of hours going over the rules with everyone, then playing half a game, and not being able to finish because it's late and everyone's tired".

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I would settle for just about anything that I already know how to play.
    Wait, what is this? What is "already know how to play"? I thought "Getting together to play board games" means "Spending a couple of hours going over the rules with everyone, then playing half a game, and not being able to finish because it's late and everyone's tired".

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

No. No you haven't.

• Options

I learned of it from this thread, and I could swear you were in this thread before me

The game came out in 2014, right? I don't think I started following this thread until a year or two ago. Regardless, the title struck zero bells in my head. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

The game came out in 2014, right? I don't think I started following this thread until a year or two ago. Regardless, the title struck zero bells in my head. :)

It's OK, I'll give you a pass... this time.

In other news, we finally got some furniture/shelving in our living room; one of those IKEA cube-shelves for games...
    Is it wrong that my immediate thought after setting it up was "we have so much more room for games"?
    At the same time, I wish I knew people close to me that were willing to drive out to play games (we're kind of in the sticks, with 40-60 minutes to any game-playing friends). So it's kind of hard to justify spending too much money on games.

• Options
    Once your game collection hits critical mass, it will actually start to develop a rudimentary sentience. Collect enough, and you can just play board games with your board games. Just ask @Magic Pink. I mean, the real one was crushed several years ago when a tower of board games toppled over, but the Magic Pink persona and forum account have been seamlessly maintained by 3 years' worth of Kickstarter rewards stacked in a vaguely humanoid pile.

• Options
    Once your game collection hits critical mass, it will actually start to develop a rudimentary sentience. Collect enough, and you can just play board games with your board games. Just ask @Magic Pink. I mean, the real one was crushed several years ago when a tower of board games toppled over, but the Magic Pink persona and forum account have been seamlessly maintained by 3 years' worth of Kickstarter rewards stacked in a vaguely humanoid pile.

Thats why most of them are still in the celophane, so they smother as soon as sentience is achived.

• Options
    Oh man, the City of Kings just went up on kickstarter. It looks REALLY good

• Options

what did I tell you about oversharing

• Options
    Yup that ol' Magic Pink sure is a stand-up authentic fully human real person! Ha ha ha I'm definitely saying this because it's true and not because otherwise I will be locked in a room and forced to play Munchkin with every expansion and variant added in!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yup that ol' Magic Pink sure is a stand-up authentic fully human real person! Ha ha ha I'm definitely saying this because it's true and not because otherwise I will be locked in a room and forced to play Munchkin with every expansion and variant added in!

did you just imply that i own any Munchkin of any ding dang sort

come check out this new shrink wrap machine I just got

don't tell anyone where you're going tho

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hey, CMON finally posted a work in progress rulebook for Rising Sun: http://resources.cmon.com/RS_Rulebook_WIP.pdf (PDF warning).

Edit: Did I say rulebook? I actually meant instructional novella.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options

ehh...doesnt really stand out to me visually. Besides, Gloomhaven reprint is suppose to be in like 2 days, and im still on the fence about rising sun until i see how much the gloomhaven KS will cost me so i think ill be giving this a pass.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

ehh...doesnt really stand out to me visually. Besides, Gloomhaven reprint is suppose to be in like 2 days, and im still on the fence about rising sun until i see how much the gloomhaven KS will cost me so i think ill be giving this a pass.

DcOkhSz.jpg

• Options
    Hey, CMON finally posted a work in progress rulebook for Rising Sun: http://resources.cmon.com/RS_Rulebook_WIP.pdf (PDF warning).

Edit: Did I say rulebook? I actually meant instructional novella.

I like this rulebook. it seems very clear and detailed about everything. I realize this may be blasphemy but some of these games have too many pieces to keep track of. this one seems fairly straightforward and streamlined.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

did you just imply that i own any Munchkin of any ding dang sort

come check out this new shrink wrap machine I just got

don't tell anyone where you're going tho
    HELLO FELLOW HUMAN TEENS I HEARD THE COOLEST PLACE FOR US TEENS TO HANG OUT IS The Colossal Pillar of Boar d gam Es LETS GO DO NOT BRING WEAPONS

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

wow visually is the whole reason it pulled me in then the gameplay looked awesome and Rahdo loved it. Plus Gloomhaven is super meh.

Rising Sun I'm skipping tho.

• Options
    Official kickoff date for the Gloomhaven reprint is April 4th at noon EST.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1753310/official-kickstarter-date-announcement

Ready your wallet.

• Options

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1753310/official-kickstarter-date-announcement

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

• Options

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

Just because Visa turned you down for being a sentient mass of cardboard and plastic doesn't mean you have to be so flippant about it.

• Options

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

Just because Visa turned you down for being a sentient mass of cardboard and plastic doesn't mean you have to be so flippant about it.

IT'S HOW I STAY TOGETHER ALL RIGHT

Actually, my group last night made the comment that, while Gloomhaven is pretty interesting and has some interesting stuff going on, Descent is still the better game. I haven't played enough Descent to have an opinion but dang that kind of floored me.

Gloomhaven also has a frustration level and terrible risk-to-reward ratio that does not really lend itself to an enjoyable time. It's like going back to Everquest after playing WoW.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

Actually, my group last night made the comment that, while Gloomhaven is pretty interesting and has some interesting stuff going on, Descent is still the better game. I haven't played enough Descent to have an opinion but dang that kind of floored me.

Gloomhaven also has a frustration level and terrible risk-to-reward ratio that does not really lend itself to an enjoyable time. It's like going back to Everquest after playing WoW.

You know, I think I basically agree with that. Like, the three real games I've had of it all just kind of felt frustrating on one level or another? And too long to make replaying a scenario you failed interesting?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

What's your party composition? We've been running two parties, and the experience has been very different between them because of the composition.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

You know, I think I basically agree with that. Like, the three real games I've had of it all just kind of felt frustrating on one level or another? And too long to make replaying a scenario you failed interesting?

Weirdly I normally hate replaying scenarios in those types of games due to failure but we lost our first outing on this past Sunday by the narrowest of margins yet spending the next 2 hours playing the scenario again was still fun.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

Fuzzy memory alert, but I've only had one session of Descent in the dark days(?) before the app and I kind of hated it. The early "race" quests just felt pointless as the DM had a clear advantage. In hindsight we should have went after the treasure instead of hopelessly chasing (assuming you keep loot in losses) but that tactic just feels so very wrong. Later when we got a power item (probably 2) the pendulum swung hard in our favor making for a different, but still bad experience.

I've only seen a full playthrough of the first Gloomhaven scenario but I'm optimistic that it will be closer to my jam. Unfortunately I'm probably a long way off before it would ever hit the table.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

The real reason i want gloomhaven is that like Pandemic/Risk Legacy, my gaming group is more encouraged to get together and play when they know they get to watch me tear up pieces of a game I spent money on. I can't think of a reason why this is...

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Having played a fairly significant amount of both Descent and Gloomhaven I can see the argument to be made that Descent is in some senses the better game, but I don't agree with it. I actually really enjoy the breakneck get-it-done pacing of Gloomhaven and the tension in most of the scenarios between failure and success.

One area where Descent is distinctly different from Gloomhaven, though, is that it's a much simpler decision-set for the players at any given moment, and that can be a huge point in its favor if that's a quality you're looking for. Or a kind of minor one, in my case, but I can imagine others weighting that differently.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    But yeah, I can see why Gloomhaven might just be too much for some game groups.

Ready your wallet.

Nah.

The real reason i want gloomhaven is that like Pandemic/Risk Legacy, my gaming group is more encouraged to get together and play when they know they get to watch me tear up pieces of a game I spent money on. I can't think of a reason why this is...

I need to find the video of the first time one of the guys in our group had to tear up a card in Seafall. It wasn't even his copy; it was mine and I told him to do it. But the video is just two minutes of me deadpan chanting "Destroy the card, Martin".
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Having played a fairly significant amount of both Descent and Gloomhaven I can see the argument to be made that Descent is in some senses the better game, but I don't agree with it. I actually really enjoy the breakneck get-it-done pacing of Gloomhaven and the tension in most of the scenarios between failure and success.

One area where Descent is distinctly simpler than Gloomhaven, though, is that it's a much simpler decision-set for the players at any given moment, and that can be a huge point in its favor if that's a quality you're looking for. Or a kind of minor one, in my case, but I can imagine others weighting that differently.

Yeah, complexity is really group dependent. Some groups want that huge, open decision space while others might want a more directed experience. And for what you get in the box, Gloomhaven is a good deal. But if you don't like what they're selling, giving you more of it isn't going to help.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ....I have a confession to make...

e5YBkuMl.jpg

n2kjgjMl.jpg

That's 16 City Events, 11 Road Events, 2 Random Scenario cards, and 2 Personal Quest cards.

I regret nothing.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I love Gloomhaven and it's 'destroyed' the game collection in that we've played nothing else since getting it. But I can see how it would put people off it; the other night we had a string of 3 failures on the same mission, each one more frustrating than the last. Changing out a character helped us finally pass it but I can see how people wouldn't want to do that due to attachment.

This discussion has been closed.