Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Holy crap 5p CITOW is a real great experience. A little long (1hr rules explanation/socializing, 3hr playtime), but that would come down with repeat plays. And man just having that much more stuff on the board makes it that much crazier. Really got to figure out a way to get that game to the table more often because it's a blast.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Tried to ebay a bunch of old mageknight dungeons stuff, but looks like no one was interested. Does anyone want a bunch of old MK dungeons stuff in exchange for... anything interesting really? Otherwise I'm just gonna goodwill these.

Things I'd trade them for:
    Interesting minis for my wife to paint
    A complete board game of some sort.
    $20.

PM sent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fugitive is really good yo.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    So my wife and I recently started getting into board games and we started with what I heard were a few good entries into various genres--Dominion for deckbuilding, Lords of Waterdeep for worker placement, and Forbidden Island for cooperative. They've all been a lot of fun, so yeah, new hobby!

Trying to decide now where to go next; I think we'd like to try another new category rather than diving deeper just yet. We rarely play with more than the two of us, so I was thinking 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, or Carcassonne, but I'd love alternative suggestions if anybody has any.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    If you want something light, thematic and impressive on the table I super love Claustrophobia which is a fun horror game about running around demon filled tunnels for 2 players.

Yomi is a pain to get a hold of these days but is basically a fighting game themed rock paper scissors that's incredibly good.

Also if you want to learn about various games and get some entertainment value Shut up and Sit Down are pretty great.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    So my wife and I recently started getting into board games and we started with what I heard were a few good entries into various genres--Dominion for deckbuilding, Lords of Waterdeep for worker placement, and Forbidden Island for cooperative. They've all been a lot of fun, so yeah, new hobby!

Trying to decide now where to go next; I think we'd like to try another new category rather than diving deeper just yet. We rarely play with more than the two of us, so I was thinking 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, or Carcassonne, but I'd love alternative suggestions if anybody has any.

Carcassone is always a solid choice and will occupy your "tile-laying" position nicely. I'm still kind of surprised that I don't own any version.

If it's only two players I usually recommend a solid abstract. Tak should be hitting retail soon and is excellent, but there are a lot of solid options out there including most of the Project GIPF series (I own YINSH and ZERTZ).

Route-building can be satisfied by Ticket to Ride or Through the Desert (not sure on the latter's availability).

A few of us are going to be talking about Fugitive (deduction/bluffing) in the immediate future.

I also highly recommend RESISTOR_, which uses double-sided cards to simulate the two of you hacking each other's mainframes.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Here's another play of Valley of the Dead King by the creators. They look like a fun as heck bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OawD3Rjt5U&t=368s

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Over the weekend we played Road to Canterbury, Tokaido, Alchemists and case 8 of Consulting Detective.

We have Tokaido down to the point where we can play a game in about half an hour now, and it remains a very relaxing amble across Japan. Road to Canterbury was utterly new to me, and is a fun romp through medieval times in which you all play Pardoners assigning sins to pilgrims and then pardoning them for money. Too many sins means the pilgrim dies, but if you were the guy who pardoned him the most that may be good for you. Enjoyably corrupting.

Alchemists is a big, sprawling morass of interlocking mechanics (including an app that scans ingredients and tells you what unholy brew you've concocted) that takes a while to play but is quite fun. The process of working out what makes what is absorbing, though I would probably play it different next time now that I know money is pretty important.

The Thames Murders had no discernible bugs that made the case unsolvable or frustrating, and we blazed through it, solving almost all of the primary problems, but only touching on the secondary stuff by accident. We ended up with a low score, but had solved everything important in a satisfying manner.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

2p games my wife and I enjoy:

Santorini
    Carcassonne (Doesn't hit the table much anymore)
    Hive (she hasn't played yet, but I'm pretty sure she'll like it)
    7 Wonders Duel
    Roll for the Galaxy (this one extends up to 5p I think?)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @OremLK

7 Wonders Duel is a fantastic 2-player experience, and my wife and I end up pretty evenly dividing the games.

Carcassonne is a classic, for good reason.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    We finally played Mint Works! For being a little cheap worker placement game, it was surprisingly fun. It is definitely fast paced too. You can order food at a restaurant, start playing, and have it cleaned up before your food comes.

I also Kickstarted Pack O Game #2. I have received it, but haven't tried any of them yet.
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    2p games my wife and I enjoy:

Santorini
    Carcassonne (Doesn't hit the table much anymore)

Carcassonne by itself gets old, but if you get any of the expansions it can last forever. The 3 first Euro games people tend to get are Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne. Those first 2 games have gathered a lot of dust in our house, but we are still playing Carcassonne with a bunch of expansions thrown in. The upcoming circus one looks to be pretty lame though :-1:

Santorini is great.

Takenoko is my wife's favorite board game. I think it is fun and definitely unique.

Splendor is good with 2 players too.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    When you get into slightly heavier stuff, Castles of Burgundy is a great 2 player game. It can be a little complex up front, but it's a really fun gateway into harder Euro games.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys! A lot to consider/add to my wish lists for the next few months :)

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys! A lot to consider/add to my wish lists for the next few months :)

Hey if you need enablers you came to the right thread.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Also consider Pandemic Legacy. It works fine with two players, and is even a bit easier with fewer players which could make it more approachable. The permanent changes you make to the game give it a campaign feel, which is fun when you're playing with the same partner every time. I've been playing it through with my wife and she's really enjoyed it.

Other things (some already recommended) that have gone well with my wife as 2-player games:
    • Waterdeep - one of her longstanding favorites
    • Tikal - earlier one we tried together, she liked a lot
    • Takenoko
    • Jaipur - quick games, easy to teach, fun to play
    • Flash Point - co-op game like Pandemic, firefighter theme can be more appealing
    • Tokaido - works surprisingly well with two
    • Lost Cities -
    • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - this is more of a choose your own adventure mystery, but it can be a great couples experience. Ignore the scoring and suggested comparison to how Sherlock would've solved the case and just have fun investigating in your own way and at your own pace

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Wait, is Pandemic Legacy really okay with just two players? I seem to remember struggling with regular Pandemic with only two players. Do you only get 2 pawns, or does each player play multiple pawns?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Wait, is Pandemic Legacy really okay with just two players? I seem to remember struggling with regular Pandemic with only two players. Do you only get 2 pawns, or does each player play multiple pawns?

You can do either. My wife and I played through the entire game with just 1 character each per game. We had a ton of fun, some really really close wins and losses.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I don't recall what the actual, written rules were for two players as we played with the full contingent but there'd be nothing to stop you playing the 4-player game with each player controlling two characters.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    The idea behind 2 players being easier in Pandemic is that you have a little more time to breathe and figure stuff out before Epidemics. I guess it could go either way depending on draws and stuff, but your cards are more spread out in a 4p game, so you have to focus more on trading to get the exact cards you need.

• Options
    My wife and I play Pandemic Legacy with 2 pawns each.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

So did we. More variety of skills to make the game more interesting, albeit a bit tougher. Plus it allowed us to free up space if two friends wanted to play too.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

So did we. More variety of skills to make the game more interesting, albeit a bit tougher. Plus it allowed us to free up space if two friends wanted to play too.

Does that ever happen? Everyone we know either A) Has no interest in this game or B) Wants to start their own Pandemic Legacy from start to finish.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    So thread, I am considering picking up either Burgle Bros or Fugitive.

Tell me why I should instead buy both :P

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Carcassonne is typically considered by many people as 'babies first board game' in the path to bankrup...erh hobby board gaming.

It's still a decent game, just on the simple side (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Fugitive is a 2P game. Burgle Bros supports a higher player count. I don't actually find that my 2P games get much play, but your specific situation may be different.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

They're both awesome and you should support Tim Fowers.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    id probably recommend base pandemic instead of pandemic legacy in this particular instance. its way cheaper, its got expansions if you get into it and want them, and if you dont find yourself enjoying it youre not stuck with a partially used legacy game you can never get rid of. plus having experience with base pandemic makes the changes in pandemic legacy more fun imo, so if they end up liking pandemic enough to play legacy then thats something to look forward to.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If anyone wants a 15% coupon for any of Tim Fowers's stuff, you can use this:
    EK53-TTCK-2PFL

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      If I weren't worried about items shipping while I am out of town next week, I'd have already jumped on that. We'll see how full my wallet feels when we come back

• Options
      CampyCampy Registered User regular
      Ah_Pook wrote: »
      id probably recommend base pandemic instead of pandemic legacy in this particular instance. its way cheaper, its got expansions if you get into it and want them, and if you dont find yourself enjoying it youre not stuck with a partially used legacy game you can never get rid of. plus having experience with base pandemic makes the changes in pandemic legacy more fun imo, so if they end up liking pandemic enough to play legacy then thats something to look forward to.

Can you not play standard Pandemic with the stuff in Pandemic Legacy?

• Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      Damnation. A shop in my country got copies of Millennium Blades. There are extremely few games I want to try more than Millennium Blades (ie, the list is Vast: The Crystal Caverns and that's it), but I absolutely shouldn't buy it because I will be able to play it literally never (because it's a very complex game in English). But it's still tempting me even though, for the money they ask, I'd be able to buy two separate games that would have better chances of getting to the table.

Must exercise basic fiscal responsibility.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      edited March 2017
      Campy wrote: »

Can you not play standard Pandemic with the stuff in Pandemic Legacy?

You absolutely can. But standard Pandemic comes with roles that are either missing, modified, or hidden in Legacy so you miss out on some options.

Also a box of Legacy retails for like $80 IIRC and the normal game is like half that.

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      edited March 2017

I have to totally disagree here. We haven't touched normal Pandemic since we got Legacy. We have played it maybe 3 times total and are looking to trade it away. I only regret buying it because Legacy came out a few months later. Otherwise, I do agree that they should try before they buy, but that goes for any game.

Dirk2112 on
      NNID = Zepp914
    • Options
      Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      Drascin wrote: »
      Damnation. A shop in my country got copies of Millennium Blades. There are extremely few games I want to try more than Millennium Blades (ie, the list is Vast: The Crystal Caverns and that's it), but I absolutely shouldn't buy it because I will be able to play it literally never (because it's a very complex game in English). But it's still tempting me even though, for the money they ask, I'd be able to buy two separate games that would have better chances of getting to the table.

I like the idea and design of Millenium Blades but set-up and tear down is UNBEARABLE. It brings a good 9 game down to a 4 it's so bad.

I may play it once more and then it's going.

• Options
      I don't own regular Pandemic.
      We've been playing Pandemic Legacy since like September of last year, and we've finished up through June. Before we started, 2 of our 4 players had never played Pandemic before (or even a board game beyond like the big 'M'), so we played Pandemic Legacy with none of the special legacy rules a couple times. It was OK; it doesn't quite hold a candle to the Legacy game proper, but it served its purpose. However, if I'd had it, I would have absolutely made everyone play vanilla Pandemic before starting Legacy instead. I wish I had normal Pandemic to play with other groups too, and the expansion options are intriguing to me.

• Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      azith28 wrote: »

Carcassonne is typically considered by many people as 'babies first board game' in the path to bankrup...erh hobby board gaming.

It's still a decent game, just on the simple side (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

This is REALLY selling Carcassonne short. I've never heard it described that way, usually it's called things more like a classic of board gaming and one of the definitive gateway games. The basic rules are quite simple, but it can be very cutthroat and strategic, especially with fewer players.

I think I remember hearing that the new Z-man edition makes farmers an optional rule though, which I would agree makes the game way too simple. But with farmers it's great, and it's very modular with the expansions. It's probably still my favorite board game.

sig.gif
    • Options
      Magic Pink wrote: »

I like the idea and design of Millenium Blades but set-up and tear down is UNBEARABLE. It brings a good 9 game down to a 4 it's so bad.

Yeah watching LRR's AFK stream of the game completely killed what little interest I still had before they even started playing. I get that L99 recommends you leave the shop deck the same for multiple sessions but then all the other unused stuff is just extra weight.

• Options
      I don't think I've ever played Carcassonne. Probably should get on that.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
      Vyolynce wrote: »
      Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah watching LRR's AFK stream of the game completely killed what little interest I still had before they even started playing. I get that L99 recommends you leave the shop deck the same for multiple sessions but then all the other unused stuff is just extra weight.

I don't see how it's worse than Legendary? You just pick some stuff and shuffle a big deck.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    • Options
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      I don't think I've ever played Carcassonne. Probably should get on that.

Yeah it is the granddaddy of tile laying games. If you have played Cacao, Isle of Skye, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Limes, etc you probably understand the mechanic. For most people though, the first game where you are building the board as you play is one of those "mind-blown" experiences.

NNID = Zepp914
    This discussion has been closed.