As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full. Tag your Spoilers.

• Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular

I hope there's more to it.

Would be kinda silly to have the ability be completely useless unless you are going a melee build.

The expansion to the melee system in the form of multiple weapon choices, along with the fact that the player now has more mobility options should make going melee a pretty viable thing in this game. It also gives an alternative to using Biotic Charge to replenish shields while on cooldown.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    So is background sort of like ruthless/war/hero/earth born/etc but with certain stats/skills/builds tied to it? Have they mentioned that before?

Or wait, did they just mean profiles? Like charge and vanguard, cloak and infiltrator, drone and engineer?

The "Training Backgrounds" seem more the former example: they seem to be what Ryder was initially trained for, and as a result unlocks a bonus first power i.e. a power you don't have to spend a point into to begin using. No idea if the training backgrounds will be referenced in the story though, like how Shepard's background did. The names of the 6 we're supposed to get include:

- Leader
    - Technician
    - Biotic
    - Scrapper
    - Operative
    - Security

Profiles are different in that you unlock them later from spending skill points, and you can switch between them on the fly.

This article makes it seem as though each background gives immediate access to one active skill and one passive skill, and reveals two of them.

Leader
    Energy Drain (active)
    Team Support (passive)

Scrapper
    Biotic Charge (active)
    Combat Fitness (passive)

So Leader is designed around buffing your squadmates, while Scrapper is a close combat expert. I think we can make some reasonable guesses about the others.

Technician (pets)
    Assault Turret (active)
    Auxiliary Systems (passive)

Biotic (crowd control)
    Singularity (active)
    Containment (passive)

Operative (stealth)
    Tactical Cloak (active)
    Offensive Tech (passive)

Security (guns)
    Turbocharge (active)
    Combat Tools (passive)

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-gameplay-worth-the-wait/
    There is one aspect of combat that felt clunky: cover. Cover is no longer a snap-in, snap-out system, but is something your character will dynamically hunker to as appropriate. The theory is that this makes more objects viable pieces of cover, but it made me often unsure of how safe I was from enemy fire.

Oh... oh nooo. No no no. Not contextual cover!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's a cool setting all on its own, but I imagine LMS to be how Renegade party Shepard spent his career.
    last_man_standing_by_rahll-d61k8fd.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Not clicking to cover seems to be more deliberate a removal than just staying in from ME3's combat system.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait so people complained a lot about sticky cover

Their solution is "Ok fine, when you hold down sprint you won't have to worry about sticky cover. Instead it'll just be on 24/7"

No! No! That's a bad Bioware! No treat for you!

• Options
    Maybe I'm weird, but I liked Mass Effect's cover system. Is was clear and unambiguous.

Conversely, every contextual cover game I've ever played has had the same goddamned problem: I can't read the game's mind. What I think is totally cover, the game disagrees. Or I'll run up against it, but the game won't register immediately what I want to do, taking time to recognize cover and stick me to it.

Can't wait for the moment I'm trying to save a Gold run with the team down and the contextual cover bugs the fuck out, leaving me in the open for a half second too long and I get vaped.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I feel like I never used cover anyway.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    So is background sort of like ruthless/war/hero/earth born/etc but with certain stats/skills/builds tied to it? Have they mentioned that before?

Or wait, did they just mean profiles? Like charge and vanguard, cloak and infiltrator, drone and engineer?

The "Training Backgrounds" seem more the former example: they seem to be what Ryder was initially trained for, and as a result unlocks a bonus first power i.e. a power you don't have to spend a point into to begin using. No idea if the training backgrounds will be referenced in the story though, like how Shepard's background did. The names of the 6 we're supposed to get include:

- Leader
    - Technician
    - Biotic
    - Scrapper
    - Operative
    - Security

Profiles are different in that you unlock them later from spending skill points, and you can switch between them on the fly.

This article makes it seem as though each background gives immediate access to one active skill and one passive skill, and reveals two of them.

Leader
    Energy Drain (active)
    Team Support (passive)

Scrapper
    Biotic Charge (active)
    Combat Fitness (passive)

So Leader is designed around buffing your squadmates, while Scrapper is a close combat expert. I think we can make some reasonable guesses about the others.

Technician (pets)
    Assault Turret (active)
    Auxiliary Systems (passive)

Biotic (crowd control)
    Singularity (active)
    Containment (passive)

Operative (stealth)
    Tactical Cloak (active)
    Offensive Tech (passive)

Security (guns)
    Turbocharge (active)
    Combat Tools (passive)

Oh hey, they mention that the regular Widow is in. So I'll be fine, just killing heads in one shot while invisible once again.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As an Engineer for my 'main' playthrough, I used it all the time.

Hop into cover, throw down a bunch of pets, let them and the squaddies do a bunch of the work, light up anything that looked at me funny, repeat.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Turbocharge like adrenaline rush I guess?

I'm just trying to find my soldier spirit totem and none of this biotic/tech bullshit (I AM NOT A ROBOT DAD)

• Options
    edited February 2017
    TexiKen wrote: »

I'm just trying to find my soldier spirit totem and none of this biotic/tech bullshit (I AM NOT A ROBOT DAD)

Yeah, Turbocharge is this game's version of Adrenaline Rush, as far as I can tell. I wish Bioware had not used a name with the word "charge" in it, since that's just inviting unfavorable comparisons.

If you want to recreate Mass Effect 3's Soldier class as closely as possible, then Turbocharge + Concussive Shot + Omni Grenade is probably your best bet.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    Adrenaline Rush was one of my favorite skills in ME2. My shep is almost always an Adept, but the off-run I did was a Soldier was amazing.

What's that? A room full of enemies? You must be mistaken, because I just went The Matrix on their ass and killed the whole room before my squad could fire.

• Options

Their solution is "Ok fine, when you hold down sprint you won't have to worry about sticky cover. Instead it'll just be on 24/7"

Eh, my main complaint about sticky cover is that you need to press a button to do it, which unfortunately is the same button you use to sprint, revive teammates and use objects, thus leading to a lot of mistakes. And if I want to get out I have to press that button again, and help me if there's a contextual action nearby that my character does instead of doing what I want.

Also, getting stuck to cover got me killed a lot in MP, so at the least now being able to move out of cover immediately by simply moving away (like off to the side, which can't be done in ME3) will be nice.
    TexiKen wrote: »

Turbocharge is essentially the replacement for Adrenaline Rush: it buffs weapon damage, rate of fire, and magazine size, rather like a temporary version of Devastator Mode from ME3 MP.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Eh, my main complaint about sticky cover is that you need to press a button to do it, which unfortunately is the same button you use to sprint, revive teammates and use objects, thus leading to a lot of mistakes. And if I want to get out I have to press that button again, and help me if there's a contextual action nearby that my character does instead of doing what I want.

Cover in ME3 was a'ight. The only real problems, for me, were the single button, and the occasional cover interaction bug (i.e. the game turning you the wrong way when you tried to look out, or shooting a power right into your cover, or other weird behaviour). Neither of these seem like things that would be solved by contextual cover, or at least best solved using contextual cover. Just making it a separate button for cover seems like it'd be more than sufficient... but I suspect that Bioware is designing around console players and their limited buttons, like with DAI.

It's not clear to me that we'll get stuck to cover less often using contextual cover. E.g. if I back up or strafe into some cover, is my character going to suddenly adhere to it, depending on if there are enemies behind/to the side of me flanking me or not? Or if I'm in cover and try to turn around to shoot at someone behind me, will I pop out of cover? Doesn't really seem like there's a predictable, programmable heuristic that will satisfy all conditions. (Maybe I, as someone who doesn't play FPSes, just need to play some games with contextual cover. Does it work well?)

hippofant on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    As an Engineer for my 'main' playthrough, I used it all the time.

Hop into cover, throw down a bunch of pets, let them and the squaddies do a bunch of the work, light up anything that looked at me funny, repeat.

That's basically what I did. Incinerate and Overload and Combat Drone are all you really need.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    Maybe I'm weird, but I liked Mass Effect's cover system. Is was clear and unambiguous.

Conversely, every contextual cover game I've ever played has had the same goddamned problem: I can't read the game's mind. What I think is totally cover, the game disagrees. Or I'll run up against it, but the game won't register immediately what I want to do, taking time to recognize cover and stick me to it.

Can't wait for the moment I'm trying to save a Gold run with the team down and the contextual cover bugs the fuck out, leaving me in the open for a half second too long and I get vaped.

The problem wasn't the cover system. I liked the cover system too even though I largely stopped using cover all together after a few hundred hours of ME3MP

The problem was Sprint and Cover were the same button

Which meant the game would occasionally decide you really needed to take cover against that wall you were trying to run past so that the Praetorian you were retreating from could shove it's eye beams up your ass.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

It's not clear to me that we'll get stuck to cover less often using contextual cover. E.g. if I back up or strafe into some cover, is my character going to suddenly adhere to it, depending on if there are enemies behind/to the side of me flanking me or not? Or if I'm in cover and try to turn around to shoot at someone behind me, will I pop out of cover? Doesn't really seem like there's a predictable, programmable heuristic that will satisfy all conditions. (Maybe I, as someone who doesn't play FPSes, just need to play some games with contextual cover. Does it work well?)

The last game I played that had contextual cover (IIRC, since I know I never pressed anything there) was F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin, and at least in that game the cover worked quite well for me.

Also, most of the environments in Andromeda look to be designed with the same aesthetic as in previous games in regards to cover, where basically, if it's smooth, as tall as you or waist-high, then it's considered cover - hell, watching the gameplay videos you can easily pick out where the cover is. From the gameplay videos, it also appears as though you have to be approaching the cover at a particular angle to make it "stick" into cover configuration so to speak, so don't think you'll suddenly enter cover if you approach it sideways or back into it.

Finally, all the gameplay videos show that the UI has a cover indicator to tell you whether or not you're counted as being in cover: it's a blue shield between the squadmate icons that appears when you're in cover.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

The problem wasn't the cover system. I liked the cover system too even though I largely stopped using cover all together after a few hundred hours of ME3MP

Which meant the game would occasionally decide you really needed to take cover against that wall you were trying to run past so that the Praetorian you were retreating from could shove it's eye beams up your ass.

And also use and revive, let's just put -everything- on the same button.

Trying to revive quickly near an objective was quite the adventure sometimes

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

And also use and revive, let's just put -everything- on the same button.

Trying to revive quickly near an objective was quite the adventure sometimes

Yeah, Gears has revive or pick up a gun on one button and run or take cover on a different button. So at least it can't confuse all 4 things at the same time, like ME3 can.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Contextual cover can work well if it's done right. The Tomb Raider reboot, for example.

We'll see how it turns out in Andromeda, but yeah, cover usage declined considerably with more time spent in MP.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This popped up in my Recommended Videos over on YouTube. I figured it's worth a watch on the cusp of a new game coming out.

https://youtu.be/rLvMieeVGm0

sig.gif
  • Options
    Contextual cover can work well if it's done right. The Tomb Raider reboot, for example.

We'll see how it turns out in Andromeda, but yeah, cover usage declined considerably with more time spent in MP.

Damn, I actually forgot the Tomb Raider reboot had dynamic cover. From my experience with that game, the contextual cover there didn't give me any problems either.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah the cover system was never the problem, it was the fact that they bound 3 other fucking actions to the same button

Though honestly given the scope and design of the levels, I'm not surprised they made cover a softer concept this time around

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm playing the GR wildlands beta, and the contextual cover is giving me a dickens of a time. It's super unclear when you're crouched near cover vs actually in it, but the enemy bullets do seem to make the distinction.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm playing the GR wildlands beta, and the contextual cover is giving me a dickens of a time. It's super unclear when you're crouched near cover vs actually in it, but the enemy bullets do seem to make the distinction.

Yeah the contextual cover in GH:W is straight up terrible.

I just gave up on it entirely and started treating it like ME3MP

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Given how mobile combat seems to be, I'm not sure cover will be all that relevant compared to the OT.* And I feel like it'll be pretty easy to get unstick/out of hairy situations with dodging and the jump jet.

*: Boy howdy does it feel weird that we can officially refer to a Mass Effect "Original Trilogy."

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    This is why we don't want them to remake ME1, right

We'll end up seeing Hayden Christensen replacing the Prothean VI or Sovereign's hologram or something

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Before you go to leave the Citadel for the first time you get accosted by a bad CG slugman instead of an Alliance officer

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, Wildlands is full of jank and lack of polish. I mean you use the rebel drop to get a vehicle and it spawns 10 feet above ground in front of you, like you consoled it in, and then someone tossed in a smoke grenade effect as a half-hearted nod to immersion. "Yep this SUV fell out of a plane just now!"

I think Andromeda looks much more polished, but we'll see if their attempt at cover is more Tomb Raider or Ghost Recon.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Can't wait to load up this game for the first time and hear a weird ME soundtrack again. Its been too long.

Open up that galaxy map and..

~Beepboopbeepboopbeepbeepboop~

Bam. I'm home.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Some interesting facts in this video:

You will be able to choose to opt-in to a website that will publicly display the choices you make in the game. Do you enjoy being judged by strangers? I do!

The names of the other three arc ships are Parcharo (Salarian), Lunezia (Asari), and Natanis (Turian). I wonder if they're all named after sun gods from their respective cultures?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It'd be a funny if the website showed the statistics on save scumming.

"Yeah, guys, got everything on my first try"

Statistics show player Heatwave has reverted to previous save files more 1498 times.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I hope there's more to it.

Would be kinda silly to have the ability be completely useless unless you are going a melee build.

The expansion to the melee system in the form of multiple weapon choices, along with the fact that the player now has more mobility options should make going melee a pretty viable thing in this game. It also gives an alternative to using Biotic Charge to replenish shields while on cooldown.

Doesn't matter if it's viable. Unless the gameplay of Vangod has drastically changed you only ever would attack once between charges. SO if there's an ability that requires the use of melee it would completely remove the point of using a gun. Which would be dumb because shotgun was the Vangods thing and I want to keep using my shotgun.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I would be really surprised if that were all there was to the ability, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I would be really surprised if that were all there was to the ability, though.

Oh yea. That's what I'm saying. If that IS all it is that would be really silly and I'd be sad.

Maybe it's just a range thing. Like any attack in melee range. That would be a better way to implement it and make it useful to all brands of Vangodding.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

Statistics show player Heatwave has reverted to previous save files more 1498 times.
    I savescum so much in these games that my #1 most-wanted feature that I'll never get is a button I can press at the end of a conversation to instantly reset to the beginning of the conversation and try again.

I'm going to do it anyway, game, might as well make it a more efficient process for me!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »

I savescum so much in these games that my #1 most-wanted feature that I'll never get is a button I can press at the end of a conversation to instantly reset to the beginning of the conversation and try again.

I'm going to do it anyway, game, might as well make it a more efficient process for me!

Have you played Life Is Strange?

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    [

You need cover less when you are flying through the air and punching everything in the face like a biotic missile.

This discussion has been closed.