As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full. Tag your Spoilers.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I don't remember ME1 having any outstanding technical issues for me (besides CTDing the game by hitting an enemy with three high-explosive weapons at the same time), and in fact I'm pretty certain the PC version runs better than all the console ones

It might run better, but the devs were pretty upfront that they were still learning how to use the unreal engine at the time, and made a number of changes to keep area from breaking the engine entirely (I remember them mentioning some of the twists and turns on the Presidium being added and extended until they managed to stop the crashes, and they basically froze it then as soon as they had it stable).

They weren't really technical issues, but I do get a feeling of 'We've got it working for the love of God don't touch anything'.
    If you're playing ME PC with a decent PC (and today that's more than likely), you could check out the Mass Effect Updated/Improved Textures Mod, which seriously improves it.
    (I could never get it to work for me, but enough people clearly don't have a problem with it)

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Spoit wrote: »

Wait, I thought someone said it was the exact opposite, last thread

From Ian Frazier's twitter
    Whoops, no, I was wrong. Just double-checked this, and ALL "creations" disappear, including Singularity. Only status effects (burning, freezing, etc) persist when you switch profiles.

Edit: I think I missed an implication from an excerpt in the above PC Gamer article:
    Normally we require you to invest several points in that tree before you can do it. If you want biotic charge, you have to have invested 9 points into something else on the biotic tree before you can get charge. But if you chose that background—there one where you are the guy that charges—then you have that available from the outset and you can immediately start spending points in it. So if you try the different backgrounds you'll see different things locked and unlocked in the trees.

The implication is that some abilities may not be available right off the bat, and instead you'll have to spend points on a particular discipline before you get access to them.

So is background sort of like ruthless/war/hero/earth born/etc but with certain stats/skills/builds tied to it? Have they mentioned that before?

Or wait, did they just mean profiles? Like charge and vanguard, cloak and infiltrator, drone and engineer?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Whoops, no, I was wrong. Just double-checked this, and ALL "creations" disappear, including Singularity. Only status effects (burning, freezing, etc) persist when you switch profiles.

Edit: I think I missed an implication from an excerpt in the above PC Gamer article:
    Normally we require you to invest several points in that tree before you can do it. If you want biotic charge, you have to have invested 9 points into something else on the biotic tree before you can get charge. But if you chose that background—there one where you are the guy that charges—then you have that available from the outset and you can immediately start spending points in it. So if you try the different backgrounds you'll see different things locked and unlocked in the trees.

The implication is that some abilities may not be available right off the bat, and instead you'll have to spend points on a particular discipline before you get access to them.

So is background sort of like ruthless/war/hero/earth born/etc but with certain stats/skills/builds tied to it? Have they mentioned that before?

Sure sounds like it's the point in the past you would pick things like "Vanguard, Vanguard or Vanguard." Basically class becomes a soft choice in the beginning instead of a hard choice in the beginning.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular

Or wait, did they just mean profiles? Like charge and vanguard, cloak and infiltrator, drone and engineer?

The "Training Backgrounds" seem more the former example: they seem to be what Ryder was initially trained for, and as a result unlocks a bonus first power i.e. a power you don't have to spend a point into to begin using. No idea if the training backgrounds will be referenced in the story though, like how Shepard's background did. The names of the 6 we're supposed to get include:

- Leader
    - Technician
    - Biotic
    - Scrapper
    - Operative
    - Security

Profiles are different in that you unlock them later from spending skill points, and you can switch between them on the fly.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Sure sounds like it's the point in the past you would pick things like "Vanguard, Vanguard or Vanguard." Basically class becomes a soft choice in the beginning instead of a hard choice in the beginning.

Yeah my read is that it's "Pick your starting skill package" rather than the old "Pick your Skill tree"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The only issues I had with my PC version of ME 1 was on the lava planet at the beginning, no ground texture loaded in. So lots of me driving into lava happened, lol.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

Did they mess up the Combat Profiles video then?

Because the narrator specifically threw out a turret right before he switched profiles

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

Because the narrator specifically threw out a turret right before he switched profiles

The guy they have demonstrate a game has no idea how to actually play the game?

Shocking.

• Options
    Turambar wrote: »

And said turret exploded when he switched Favorites, so yes they did mess up.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Eh, the purpose of the video was to show how switching profiles works and it accomplished that. The guy also got a few seconds out of the turret but was getting surrounded by enemies while holding a sniper rifle so switching to something else was the better move.

The video itself was incredibly manufactured. I can't imagine there's going to be many if any combat situations at all where switching between four profiles makes sense in terms of efficient fighting. They were pretty clearly just trying to get across that you could if you really wanted to.

• Options
    Hmm...I wonder about the background/soft class thing. He also mentioned that complete skill point respecs were a thing you could buy for ever escalating prices. I wonder if that includes changing the background choice as well.

Also a thing with a strong Kingdoms of Amalur vibe.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah I really think that most of the time, I'll be swapping between 2 profiles and have a third in my back pocket for really niche use

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Hmm...I wonder about the background/soft class thing. He also mentioned that complete skill point respecs were a thing you could buy for ever escalating prices. I wonder if that includes changing the background choice as well.

The background choice only appears to serve to give you your first skill without having to spend a point into it. As mentioned in the article though, you can get all of the skills eventually (if you can get to level 123), so the background training only really applies to the early game, and by the time you want to respec it's pretty much pointless. If it is tied to story, then likely the actual background cannot be changed; the bonus point on the initial ability will likely be refunded and pooled with all your other points if you try to respec.

SayuriUliana on
  • Options
    Yeah I really think that most of the time, I'll be swapping between 2 profiles and have a third in my back pocket for really niche use

If it's anything like last time I'm gonna have a couple favorite crew mates to take on missions whose power sets won't necessarily balance out. Being able to occasionally hop over to a different skill set because everyone's a biotic will definitely be handy.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Winfiltrator for decaps, Vangod for ragdolls.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    That class system sounds a lot like those tarot card things you could unlock in Kingdoms of Amalur. Which I really enjoyed.

Like most people who played it, I also enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur, but the game that this sort of ability-swapping reminds me of the most is The Secret World, which is an MMO that is classless and lets you combine your abilities pretty much however you want.

TSW, and those sweet, sweet investigation missions, oh how I loved thee.

And I loved running healing spec with people just starting the game:

"Dude, why are you pointing your M-16 at me?!"

"Don't worry, I'm a doctor!"

*brrrrt*

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

If it's anything like last time I'm gonna have a couple favorite crew mates to take on missions whose power sets won't necessarily balance out. Being able to occasionally hop over to a different skill set because everyone's a biotic will definitely be handy.

Team Cora and PB will make biotic explosions everywhere.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Winfiltrator for decaps, Vangod for ragdolls.

I'm aiming for biotic infiltrator. After that it's just gonna be a question of whether the sentinel or explorer provide better stats depending on which specific powers I roll with.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Team Cora and PB will make biotic explosions everywhere.

I know cora has charge, nova, and some kinda shield thing, I don't think we know all of PB's skills? PB does have invasion (which is tech), but I don't believe that's a primer or a detonator.

Drak's incinerate however would combo with cora's charge, since being on fire is a primer.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Eh, the purpose of the video was to show how switching profiles works and it accomplished that. The guy also got a few seconds out of the turret but was getting surrounded by enemies while holding a sniper rifle so switching to something else was the better move.

The video itself was incredibly manufactured. I can't imagine there's going to be many if any combat situations at all where switching between four profiles makes sense in terms of efficient fighting. They were pretty clearly just trying to get across that you could if you really wanted to.

There were still a few bits, like him jumping up with the jet only to hit an overhang, that told me that it was somebody actually playing.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

There were still a few bits, like him jumping up with the jet only to hit an overhang, that told me that it was somebody actually playing.

I don't doubt that someone was playing. Just the authenticity of the situation. It was a really specific event with some sub par play. But it got the concept of profile switching across and showed how it could be useful which was the main goal.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Whoever gets picked to demo a game to an audience always sucks. No exceptions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

It's less that they suck and more that they have to follow a preset script that fills a certain amount of time at a certain pace to the gameplay. No one is going to look skillful doing that

Wassermelone on
  • Options

It's less that they suck and more that they have to follow a preset script that fills a certain amount of time at a certain pace to the gameplay. No one is going to look skillful doing that

The people who usually demo games are QA playtesters who've spent the last few months or their life playing this game, and could probably complete the hardest mode with their eyes closed.
    They're now being asked to emulate someone who isn't a god at this game, doing things that aren't the flawless headshots that they've gotten used to doing.

I occasionally try to 'hide' my skill when playing friends at multiplayer games (just because I've got a few dozen hours at this game and they picked it up ten minutes ago. If I play at full speed, they won't want to play at all), and it's not easy to make believable.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    [PC Gamer] Mass Effect: Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier on 'fulfilling the promise of Mass Effect 1'

Mechanically, the most interesting things to take away from this is that you can apparently spec Lance to consume shields instead of having a cooldown, essentially turning it into Phase Disruptor from ME3MP, and that you can in fact spec Nova to consume shields as well. Which means if we spec Nova enough, we can have our old Biotic Charge + Nova combo back.

Also, I like how he thoroughly explains the Profile system and the new dialogue mechanics and what their repercussions are. Some of this would already be known to people, but it's nice to read that the devs know of this too.

Finally, the Star Trek captains comparison is the best :D

Something that may have went unnoticed in this interview he also tells what the Vanguard's profile ability is.

Seems like a drain effect, where every time to hit an enemy with a melee you get shields back.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't remember ME1 having any outstanding technical issues for me (besides CTDing the game by hitting an enemy with three high-explosive weapons at the same time), and in fact I'm pretty certain the PC version runs better than all the console ones

For me, it hard locked during the introductory cutscene repeatedly, while Joker is talking. I redid that section so many times I could quote the dialogue leading up to it verbatim for a while, and having to recreate my Shepard every single time is part of why I used the default Shep in the end.

There was also a driver issue that was causing a bunch of the lava on one world not to show up, so I'd be driving the Mako around and just die for no particular reason.

Obviously I did eventually get these things fixed, but I've given up on games for less in the past.

... he says while wearing a Mass Effect hoodie and eagerly waiting the delivery of 200+ ME cosplay group coins next week.

I guess you could say it stuck with me, even with the snags and stumbling points.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    oh man looking at those requirements i think my old desktop warhorse might finally be heading to the glue factory

i mean it ran inquisition on medium-high settings with no real probs so it might manage andromeda on low but i amnae hopeful

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »
    oh man looking at those requirements i think my old desktop warhorse might finally be heading to the glue factory

i mean it ran inquisition on medium-high settings with no real probs so it might manage andromeda on low but i amnae hopeful

Depends on how well it's optimized. I have pretty high hopes.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    I kinda like the idea of Cloak > Charge > Shotgun... is that possible?

• Options
    Crazod wrote: »

Anything is possible, though there might be certain abilities/passives that are specific to certain profiles.

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »

Depends on how well it's optimized. I have pretty high hopes.

i just double checked and im below min on ram (no prob), processor and gpu so unless bio are miracle workers i reckon its new pc time. i mean its done a 7-year shift so im no surprised

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

Can't imagine why not. Though charging may break your cloak.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »

I mean, it should.

But I greatly anticipate cloaking my way in, using lift on a group, body sniping each one, then charging in for the explosion.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »

So long as it breaks after impact, I'm fine with that.
    Someone gets hurled across the room, and I just appear where they were standing.
    "...What?"

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I'm still amazed at the amount of stuff I managed to miss in Citadel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwzXg7PUnI

One of the greatest DLC of all time.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'll just be happy if they make Cloak work again.

I still don't understand why it worked so well in ME2 and then did fuckall in ME3.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'll just be happy if they make Cloak work again.

I still don't understand why it worked so well in ME2 and then did fuckall in ME3.

They made one big change: in 2, enemies would forget you even existed the second you cloaked, while in 3 they'll still shoot where you were standing if you do it right in front of them. Frankly it was broken in 2.

I thought it was still pretty solid in 3, even in multiplayer for stuff like stealth revives or sneaking objectives.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Man I hope the new pull throw combo works while in mid air. That would make charging the mook mid flight even more satisfying.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

It might run better, but the devs were pretty upfront that they were still learning how to use the unreal engine at the time, and made a number of changes to keep area from breaking the engine entirely (I remember them mentioning some of the twists and turns on the Presidium being added and extended until they managed to stop the crashes, and they basically froze it then as soon as they had it stable).

They weren't really technical issues, but I do get a feeling of 'We've got it working for the love of God don't touch anything'.
    If you're playing ME PC with a decent PC (and today that's more than likely), you could check out the Mass Effect Updated/Improved Textures Mod, which seriously improves it.
    (I could never get it to work for me, but enough people clearly don't have a problem with it)

This helped a lot, thank you!

I restarted as Vanguard and have been enjoying it a lot. Even seems like Adept would have been fun but I couldn't resist shotguns.

I didn't know any better so I went to save Liara first... which was tough but forced me to learn quickly. Was real satisfying to figure out I could line up my whole squad to debuff/throw the Krogan boss at once then blast him while he's down. Went from repeatedly dying to killing him before he even made it to cover.

I should've played this years ago.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    [PC Gamer] Mass Effect: Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier on 'fulfilling the promise of Mass Effect 1'

Mechanically, the most interesting things to take away from this is that you can apparently spec Lance to consume shields instead of having a cooldown, essentially turning it into Phase Disruptor from ME3MP, and that you can in fact spec Nova to consume shields as well. Which means if we spec Nova enough, we can have our old Biotic Charge + Nova combo back.

Also, I like how he thoroughly explains the Profile system and the new dialogue mechanics and what their repercussions are. Some of this would already be known to people, but it's nice to read that the devs know of this too.

Finally, the Star Trek captains comparison is the best :D

Something that may have went unnoticed in this interview he also tells what the Vanguard's profile ability is.

Seems like a drain effect, where every time to hit an enemy with a melee you get shields back.

I hope there's more to it.

Would be kinda silly to have the ability be completely useless unless you are going a melee build.

This discussion has been closed.