HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    TSR wrote: »
    you know what'd be rad?

if shinichiro watanabe made more stuff

The only thing I know of is that he has a short film coming out as a piece of the larger movie "Genius Project," a collaboration by various anime directors.

But seriously, someone should lock that man in a cage until he decides to make another series :|
    I know. It was supposed to be out July 5th. I can't find it.

Half the fucking anime shows now start off at an all-girls school or something. Same shit everywhere. What happened to new imaginative worlds? Anime that tackled adult topics? Stylized anime? Shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darker_than_BLACK

I've been enjoying that a shitload. It's got a few quirky episodes that are retarded, but it's the only anime I wait for every week now.
    Yeah I'm on it, thanks.

Hadji: Elaborate on the SAC stuff. New content?

Solid State Society was a movie specific to the SAC universe that just came out in the US a few weeks ago, all brand new.

The other two OAVs are The Laughing Man and The Individual Eleven, which try to summarize each season's main storyline into a 2-3 hour film. Laughing Man has a little new animation, and Individual Eleven supposedly has a lot in order to make the plot work better in its abridged form.

Edit: Also, the producers have said more, new SAC content is coming at some point.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was bored this week, so for the first time in like 5 years I decided to watch an anime. I picked Peach Girl.

25 episodes, not bad for a high school drama-rama show.

I really don't hate anime, as much as I wish I would. It amuses me to some extent.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote: »
    Cowboy Bebop did kick some serious ass, but I could never get into Samurai Champloo.

I actually wound up enjoying champloo more...in some ways. Mostly in the animation and setting. I also think the smaller number of characters, and the more artsy themes, gave it a little special something.

That and the music was more foreign and new to me.

The plot was pretty nonexistent though.

True...basically every episode was just filler with some added bonus plot material tossed in, except the beginning and end.

But really, Bebop wasn't much different in this regard.

In both series the story didn't matter to me so much as the how the characters were developed.
    It got crazy in the later episodes.

Crazy awesome.
    The baseball episode, for one.

And then the one that's basically "oh shits, ZOMBIES! Now everyone died because of a meteor! Why is Lone Wolf and Cub in this? Now the zombie's shredding on a guitar!"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    you know what'd be rad?

The only thing I know of is that he has a short film coming out as a piece of the larger movie "Genius Project," a collaboration by various anime directors.

But seriously, someone should lock that man in a cage until he decides to make another series :|

Half the fucking anime shows now start off at an all-girls school or something. Same shit everywhere. What happened to new imaginative worlds? Anime that tackled adult topics? Stylized anime? Shit.

I've been enjoying that a shitload. It's got a few quirky episodes that are retarded, but it's the only anime I wait for every week now.
    Yeah I'm on it, thanks.

Solid State Society was a movie specific to the SAC universe that just came out in the US a few weeks ago, all brand new.

The other two OAVs are The Laughing Man and The Individual Eleven, which try to summarize each season's main storyline into a 2-3 hour film. Laughing Man has a little new animation, and Individual Eleven supposedly has a lot in order to make the plot work better in its abridged form.

Edit: Also, the producers have said more, new SAC content is coming at some point.
    Yeah I saw Solid State Society.

I guess I'll watch the OVAs.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Cowboy Bebop did kick some serious ass, but I could never get into Samurai Champloo.

I actually wound up enjoying champloo more...in some ways. Mostly in the animation and setting. I also think the smaller number of characters, and the more artsy themes, gave it a little special something.

True...basically every episode was just filler with some added bonus plot material tossed in, except the beginning and end.

In both series the story didn't matter to me so much as the how the characters were developed.

Crazy awesome.

And then the one that's basically "oh shits, ZOMBIES! Now everyone died because of a meteor! Why is Lone Wolf and Cub in this? Now the zombie's shredding on a guitar!"
    Don't forget the gay.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you know what'd be rad?

Yeah I'm on it, thanks.

Another fantastic series that isn't full of kiddie bullshit is Gungrave. I loved every episode. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gungrave_%28anime%29

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There was this anime I watched...that was very weird and funny...it was about a boy and a girl...and the girl ends up BECOMING the boys hand...like a miniature puppet but attached and alive. It's actually very sweet and funny. I forget the name.

Midori no Chibi or something.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There was this anime I watched...that was very weird and funny...it was about a boy and a girl...and the girl ends up BECOMING the boys hand...like a miniature puppet but attached and alive. It's actually very sweet and funny. I forget the name.

Yeah, you got it. It was allright.

That reminds me. I gotta rewatch Excel Saga. That was an excellent anime.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Close, Midori no Hibi. English serialization is Midori Days. The concept is sorta retarded, imo.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Crazy awesome.

Don't forget the gay.
    The "Firefly speech" guy?

The proto-weeaboo guy?

The others that I've most likely forgotten?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Crazy awesome.

Don't forget the gay.

The proto-weeaboo guy?

tn6-jouji.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I watched about a quarter of FMA in a pretty mangled order on Adult Swim before finally getting the whole series, so alot of the powerful moments for me were kinda ruined before I got to them.

That music still creeps me the fuck out though.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Crazy awesome.

Don't forget the gay.

The proto-weeaboo guy?

The beat box dude.....

THE BEAT BOX DUDE!

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That'd be the proto weeaboo.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Midori no Hibi. 13 episodes.

I'm not sure if I can properly articulate the differences between the anime and manga for FMA. There are quite a few more characters, and the countries outside of Amestris are also represented and have their own types of alchemy. The story is somewhat expanded, and the homunculi are very different (in awesome ways which I don't think I can spoil properly). Ed and Al are currently in Briggs, the most northern part of Amestris, where Armstrong's sister Olivia commands the Briggs Garrison.

The scanlations for the FMA manga are available all over the place, so it's easy to catch up.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The biggest draw an anime can have for me is music.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Balthy13Balthy13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That reminds me. I gotta rewatch Excel Saga. That was an excellent anime.

This is something I can get behind.

Balthy13 on
    pasig.png
    Tweeters: radixius | Blargh: Wordpress | Sounds: Embol | Castpods: Ragecast | Steam | XBL
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    023.gif

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    ZepplinZepplin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    a while back i watched an anime called berzerk, very much not kiddie. it was a prelude to the manga so im sure the story in the manga gets crazy but the actual show was somthing like 40 eps and it was just fucking great.

Zepplin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zepplin wrote: »
    a while back i watched an anime called berzerk, very much not kiddie. it was a prelude to the manga so im sure the story in the manga gets crazy but the actual show was somthing like 40 eps and it was just fucking great.

I enjoyed that, not being a manga person I kind of felt like I was pushed off a MAJOR cliff at the end there, though.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    flcl.jpg

oh, how i love you

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had no idea the FMA manga was different. Need to get my hands on that shit.

If you love the FMA series, just don't watch the movie. I was bored the entire time, and it fucking RUINED the series for me.
    THEY MADE BIZARRO HUGHES A NAZI FOR CHRISSAKES

Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, fuck the FMA movie
    They spend the entire series building up human transmutations as some huge sin and that alchemy isn't the answer to everything and that humans shouldn't try to play god, then completely ruin it by having Ed and Al end up both alive, together, at the end.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    flcl.jpg

oh, how i love you
    well yeah

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zepplin wrote: »

I enjoyed that, not being a manga person I kind of felt like I was pushed off a MAJOR cliff at the end there, though.

yea i have never read the manga but i know of it, and your right, the end in the show was pretty much "wtf just happend?"

Zepplin on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love Berserk. I never had the wherewithal to read the manga, so in ways I felt gypped.

However, the outtakes on the discs were fucking hilarious.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    flcl.jpg

oh, how i love you
    well yeah

Easily the best non-Gunbuster series Gainax has ever made. I'd love it if they adapted it as a movie someday.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FMA is my most favoritest anime ever. Munkus you should really watch the movie, it's fucking AWESOME.

I had uh... mixed feelings about the ending.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    oh and no, it doesn't have a good dub, are you on crack? there is no such thing, do not even waste your time

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I just bought the season one uncut dragonball z DVD collection, I'm really looking foward to watching it properly this time, and without having to wait between episodes between their powering up and talking about shit.

blue powder on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like most things I have seen by Gainax.

Gunbuster, Diebuster, FLCL, RE: Cutie Honey.

Eva, not so much. The series was pretty good, but mostly okay. End of Evangelion was a crappy movie, though. It went nowhere.

I am loving Gainax's new series, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It is amazing and awesome. Wonderful music, likeable characters, beautiful animation, great writing, and it's also incredibly hilarious.

I probably like FLCL more, though, but that's just because FLCL is so, so good.

I should probably watch FMA.

You people should also watch the Mazinkaiser OVA. It is a continuation/sequel/remake of Mazinger Z. It is amazing and wonderful in every way.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I also really like GTO. Like way too much.

I could never get into any Giant Robot animes that weren't Big O or Gasaraki and man Gasaraki has the stupidest ending ever.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Berserk is awesome, read it!

http://www.corsairs.de/berserk.jpg

Linked for huge.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I could never get into any Giant Robot animes that weren't Big O or Gasaraki and man Gasaraki has the stupidest ending ever.

Teenage kids with giant fish eyes screaming?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Berserk is awesome, read it!

http://www.corsairs.de/berserk.jpg

Linked for huge.

thats an awsome pic. although i thought it was just him killing crocs, then to my suprise i scrolled down to see the crocs holding spears... crafty spearlizzards.

Zepplin on
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    some shit about anime here

why does anybody watch that stuff other than bebop and miyazaki

edit: well i guess if you're into cartoon titties that's okay

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FMA is really fucking cool. I watched all the episodes in a matter of three or so days.
    I have the movie sitting here somewhere... I don't think I want to watch it though.

I'm currently watching Death Note, Claymore, and Guyver.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was getting along pretty nicely with the Death Note manga

and then someone had to spoil it for me

GRAAAAAAH

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you like Berserk, you'd like Claymore. It nice and gory.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Stupidest anime ending ever for me came from Blue Gender. Or at least the dub version.
    Seriously, it's like they had the ending planned out. Then they realized they forgot about the people up in the space-station so they decide to have them go nuts at the last minute for NO REASON. If anyone could point it out to me, I would be very grateful.

Owenashi on
This discussion has been closed.