As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games You Never Saw Again -- B.F.F. Edition

1235»

• Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There was a guy who lived in the same apartment building as me about a year ago. We would hang out and play video games a lot, along with some of our other friends/people who lived in the same apartment building.

I don't remember exactly why, but he ended up bringing his Japanese PS2 over to my room and leaving it there. Not unintentionally mind you, we usually played in my room and he had Japanese Tekken 5.

Anyway, after about five months, he ended up getting a job and moving to Tokyo. He said I could hang onto his PS2 for a little while longer, because his new job was gonna keep him busy and he'd have no time to play it anyway. I've seen him a few times since he moved, but the subject of the PS2 never came up. I've still got it, along with a nice collection of Japanese PS2 games and DVDs I've gathered since.

SpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Crashmo wrote: »
    KimFidler wrote: »
    I still rue the day my oldest brother lent his copy of Marble Madness to a friend way back in the day.

Also, a Gamecube horror story.

I was playing Smash Bros with my brothers/friends at my grandma's house, and we made my 10 yr. old little brother fistfight my friend (who was 7 years older) for a playing spot. My aunt overhears us yelling "PUNCH HIM IN THE NUTS!", among various other disgusting things, from the room down the hall. She runs out of the house and returns with my big, angry bald uncle, who promptly throws us all out of the house.

The next school day I need to get something from my grandma's house to bring my friend, and when I go to the basement...oh god...it's like those pictures cops take of murder scenes. My Gamecube, both memory cards with countless hundreds of hours of gameplay on them, all four controllers, and a few of my games were just shattered to bits all over the room. It looked like he had strapped it all into a pile of c4 and set it off in the middle of the room, or turned into some kind of tornado man and just went mad cow all over my junk. He freaking broke Gauntlet: Dark Legacy in half sideways, like top to bottom. How in the frick!?

Ummm... what the fuck is wrong with your family?

This was the day after my step-dad had a box cutter at my brother's throat and I helped get him off, my brother ending up minus that bit of muscle between your thumb and index finger. We all get along with each other now, though. :^:

:|

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still rue the day my oldest brother lent his copy of Marble Madness to a friend way back in the day.

I was playing Smash Bros with my brothers/friends at my grandma's house, and we made my 10 yr. old little brother fistfight my friend (who was 7 years older) for a playing spot. My aunt overhears us yelling "PUNCH HIM IN THE NUTS!", among various other disgusting things, from the room down the hall. She runs out of the house and returns with my big, angry bald uncle, who promptly throws us all out of the house.

The next school day I need to get something from my grandma's house to bring my friend, and when I go to the basement...oh god...it's like those pictures cops take of murder scenes. My Gamecube, both memory cards with countless hundreds of hours of gameplay on them, all four controllers, and a few of my games were just shattered to bits all over the room. It looked like he had strapped it all into a pile of c4 and set it off in the middle of the room, or turned into some kind of tornado man and just went mad cow all over my junk. He freaking broke Gauntlet: Dark Legacy in half sideways, like top to bottom. How in the frick!?

This was the day after my step-dad had a box cutter at my brother's throat and I helped get him off, my brother ending up minus that bit of muscle between your thumb and index finger. We all get along with each other now, though. :^:

:|
    Dude, fuck your family square in the butt.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have an almost story. Back when SMB3 was the hot shit and I was much younger, my parents went out for an evening and hired a babysitter. The next day I couldn't find the game anywhere. My mom drove over to the sitter's house and got my "favoritest game" back (there was a frog suit!!!).

Only time I've ever been happy she wrote my name on game cartridges.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Oh geez, do you live in Liberty City or something?

KimFidler on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't lend games to anyone except to a couple of my friends who I know are not going to be moving anywhere anytime soon. They also have the same attitude that I do when it comes to making sure that games and DVDs go back in their proper cases and that you don't leave them lying out on the table by itself, etc.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I tried keeping a log one time for my dvds and games that I lent out, I have way too many discs, but that just made me look like an idiot. I keep my "games in rotation" on a shelf along with my flicks/tv shows in rotation and once i'm done they jump into a nice plastic box for safe keeping. I have also made it a point to not borrow anyone's games or dvds. I usually have anything I would want to watch and if I don't it is a small trip and price to pay for peace of mind. I borrowed this guy's family guy season something at one point because he wanted to borrow my lost. I never took the fucking thing out of my car. For a whole fucking month it was under my seat, I had already seen the damn thing but felt bad being like ... no fuck your family guy. Anyway, he returns my Lost I give him back his Family Guy and he's all like yeah dude...the last disc is missing. I just about had to replace it, I felt bad even though I know I didn't lost it but it turns out his ex was an evil crack smoking demon and he lost his job at the comic shop I frequent so I never saw him again. The dude was a really nice guy, I felt terrible.

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    nihil wrote: »
    I tried keeping a log one time for my dvds and games that I lent out, I have way too many discs, but that just made me look like an idiot. I keep my "games in rotation" on a shelf along with my flicks/tv shows in rotation and once i'm done they jump into a nice plastic box for safe keeping. I have also made it a point to not borrow anyone's games or dvds. I usually have anything I would want to watch and if I don't it is a small trip and price to pay for peace of mind. I borrowed this guy's family guy season something at one point because he wanted to borrow my lost. I never took the fucking thing out of my car. For a whole fucking month it was under my seat, I had already seen the damn thing but felt bad being like ... no fuck your family guy. Anyway, he returns my Lost I give him back his Family Guy and he's all like yeah dude...the last disc is missing. I just about had to replace it, I felt bad even though I know I didn't lost it but it turns out his ex was an evil crack smoking demon and he lost his job at the comic shop I frequent so I never saw him again. The dude was a really nice guy, I felt terrible.

Ive lost Family guy season 5 to a friend whos vanished for the last 6 months, I can tell u uve scared that dude for life ;) he also has my IT crowd dvd and a rather expensive router.

Never lost a game though, Im usually pretty careful about who i loan to, close friends and good family.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    super-mario-kart.jpg

I miss it so.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG
    I still need a copy of SMRPG. :(

Krikee on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't really have such horror stories (lucky me).

Worst thing that happened was lending a few N64 games to someone in the box, with the manual and the little cardboard fit thing and the plastic bag to keep the game in (because I'm really anal about stuff like that) and then only getting the cartridge back.

I don't really mind that much, because hey, at least I can play the games, but I am dusting them a bit obsessively.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent Vice City and a game manual to a friend a year back.

Havent gotten around to calling.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still think the biggest loss I know of personally happened to my friend; he let another friend borrow his top-feeding NES and never saw it again. :(

Slagmire on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to save my worst for last ....

GCE-SportsTimeBoxBack.jpg

In the second grade my grandfather gave me my greatest Christmas gift to date. One of the greatest Game Watches ever made, the GCE Sports Time watch. I have never taken such greater care for an item, of mine, as much as I did with that watch. Every time we would go out to recess I would take off that watch and put it way back in my desk behind books and pencils. And please keep in mind this is a very private school. Everybody loved my watch especially Jack S. But my teacher Mrs. P. hated it because I would play with it during class.

One day Jack S. asked to borrow my watch while we were out at recess and of course I refused. When we came back from recess I went back to my desk to put my watch on it was not there. I knew who took it and went to the teacher. She refused to do anything until I could prove it. From which I advised her that I set my alarm to go off at exactly 3pm, when school let out. If it is anyone's backpack we would hear it.

At exactly 2:55 she told everyone that they could go home early today. Never in the history of my elementary school days we're we ever let out early but that day we were. But no one moved from their desk because they all knew of the situation, except Jack S. And you know why. I went straight home and called my mother who showed up with my dad and the Principle. She basically called me a liar and said Jack S. was a model student and would never steal. When they confronted Jack's mother she, of course, backed up her son. The next day I beat the crap out of him and he never returned to that school again. And I mean really bad. And did I get in trouble from my dad? No.

Years later he was in one of our local malls from which he robbed a store and shot two police officers while trying to get away. No one was killed but he is serving 25 to life because of it. Karma may be a bitch but it's been a bigger bitch to find that watch since then.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Haha, this reminds me.

I lent one of my...former friends Katamari Damacy and Tales of Symphonia over a year ago. I haven't talked to him in, well, over a year, so he still has the games.

BUT. He lent ME Tales of Destiny 2, Valkerie Profile, and Xenogears, which I still have.

So he has 2 games which I could get at Gamestop for $20 combined, and I have 3 games I could probably get $150 for. Ohoho.

And just so we're clear, he's the reason we're no longer friends. He became a royal prick.

Graviija on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    The next day I beat the crap out of him and he never returned to that school again. And I mean really bad. And did I get in trouble from my dad? No.
    You done good.

Man, for me gimmick tech watches were the world as a kid, I would have flipped out if something that awesome got stolen from me. A school friend of mine had a Zelda watch and it was the coolest thing ever made for me.

Glal on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    The next day I beat the crap out of him and he never returned to that school again. And I mean really bad. And did I get in trouble from my dad? No.
    You done good.

Man, for me gimmick tech watches were the world as a kid, I would have flipped out if something that awesome got stolen from me. A school friend of mine had a Zelda watch and it was the coolest thing ever made for me.

It's been over 20 years and I have gotten into quit a few fights since. But that day I truly turned to the dark side. So much so, I can't even remember exactly how it started or ended. I've been luck enough to have the same friends since the 1st grade and they remember everything about that fight. Even one of my classmates now teaches their and he told me the other day that that fight is still remember, by the same school officials, to this day.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In my opinion, the real jerk of the story would be your teacher. I mean, 2nd Grade and all, your moral fibre isn't that well developed yet.

But trying to screw you out of getting back your watch when it was stolen from you? Now that sucks.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We had the same types of assholes for teachers. You know, the types that pretend they don't see older kids beating you up, and who take cool things you brought to school to show to your friends and confiscate them until the end of the fucking year (ie, forever).

Glal on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My Chinese teacher once confiscated my copy of Prince Caspian back when I was in Primary Three, thereby forever ruining my perfect set of The Chronicles of Narnia (it was some some of commemorative special edition release).

It still hurts.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    You done good.

It's been over 20 years and I have gotten into quit a few fights since. But that day I truly turned to the dark side. So much so, I can't even remember exactly how it started or ended. I've been luck enough to have the same friends since the 1st grade and they remember everything about that fight. Even one of my classmates now teaches their and he told me the other day that that fight is still remember, by the same school officials, to this day.

You shoulda kicked the teacher in the shin :P

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh here is a good one. Many a year ago back when I was in high school I bought SSX Tricky when it first came out. The store was just across the street from the school so I ran and got it just before hopping on the bus. I tore off the wrapper and started glancing at the manual when a friend a few rows back asked to look at it. So I passed back the game case so he could take a look at the game. After a few minutes of looking at it, reading the back of the case, etc, he passed it back. I open it up to pull the manual back out and the game is gone. I never found out who took it and to this day I have still not played Tricky.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Actraiser on SNES. Received it as a gift, Played it once, got to the final stage, never saw it again.:(

TSR on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uh, I don't know where my 360 is right now.

I think it was in the common room in my apartment, but now it's not there. I hadn't played it in a while, and the last time I remember interacting it was taking it back to my parent's house. But I'm pretty sure I brought it back and it got set up again in the common room.

Ordinarily I could just check home, but the problem is that we're moving. So if it was there, it's now packed up somewhere.

There have allegedly been some robberies in my apartment complex, and some of my roommate's friends are pretty sketchy, but I can't really know for sure until I'm able to get to my packed up stuff.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    gamewatchguygamewatchguy Registered User new member
    I'm going to save my worst for last ....

One day Jack S. asked to borrow my watch while we were out at recess and of course I refused. When we came back from recess I went back to my desk to put my watch on it was not there. I knew who took it and went to the teacher. She refused to do anything until I could prove it. From which I advised her that I set my alarm to go off at exactly 3pm, when school let out. If it is anyone's backpack we would hear it.

At exactly 2:55 she told everyone that they could go home early today. Never in the history of my elementary school days we're we ever let out early but that day we were. But no one moved from their desk because they all knew of the situation, except Jack S. And you know why. I went straight home and called my mother who showed up with my dad and the Principle. She basically called me a liar and said Jack S. was a model student and would never steal. When they confronted Jack's mother she, of course, backed up her son. The next day I beat the crap out of him and he never returned to that school again. And I mean really bad. And did I get in trouble from my dad?.

Hi.
    The GCE Sports Time watch doesn't have an alarm. Are you referring to a different watch?
    ~John

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I had a "friend" try to snag my copy of Mega Man 3 back in grade school. His parents were divorced, and after he borrowed my game, he left it at his mom's and from then on, only invited me over to play at his dad's house. After a couple of months of him constantly "forgetting" to take my game to his dad's and always being "too busy" to hang out when he was with his mom, I had enough. I called him at his dad's and asked if he wanted to hang out. Once I confirmed that he wouldn't be at his mom's house, I went over there to get my Mega Man 3 back.

So, I guess its more of an "almost never saw it again" story.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I can't believe that post ressurected a 5 year old thread.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I can't believe that post ressurected a 5 year old thread.

He's gotta know his shit though. He's GameWatchGuy. Such an error, no matter how old, cannot stand!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Most epic necro ever?

Also, Sunset Riders and Doom for SNES. Loaned them to a shady neighbor and never saw him/them again :(

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Haha genuinely interested now with the necro - didn't even realise until magic pointed it out, great thread really.
    I would have followed the kid I suspected for the 5minutes..

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    I lent a good friend my copy of Final Fantasy VII for the PC - the box, the manual, the whole shebang. Anyways, he becomes hopelessly addicted and we shoot the shit about it for almost a month solid. He returns it, everything in it's place, except it's missing disc one of three. I straight up ask if it got misplaced, and if so, no biggie. He denys and first insists I didn't lend that disc to him (and you know, it installed and worked without it) and then that I took it back at some point prior. I sit have all of it, minus that disc, sitting in front of all my PC games reminding me that lending stuff isn't a good idea. I never take it's quiet advice (as of right now, I'm currently out two DVDs, 4 audio CDs, 2 games and 4 books I'm never going to see again) but it's a reminder none-the-less.

As for a more heart warming tale - when I was nine my parents split and I ended up getting a Sega Genesis for Christmas that year despite my parents not having any money to really have a Christmas. My cousins all chipped in with games they were done with and my brother and I ended up with over a dozen games to play with our brand new system. Years go by, Shining Force II becomes one of my all time favourites and Nintendo's just about to launch the N64 over here. My brother and I hear that some friends of the family are going down the divorce route and their kid is in the same boat we were. Pay it forward, right? Years after that, I realize my beloved copy of Shining Force II, the only thing I wasn't quite keen on giving away is gone and a friend ends up buying me two Genesis' (in case one doesn't work) for my twenty first and a copy of Shining Force II . Later that day one of my cousin call to wish me a happy birthday. With his well wishing? "Hey, I was playing some old games and I noticed I have your copy of Shining Force II". To this day, almost ten years later, I have two Genesis' with copies of Shining Force II in each of them.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I let a friend borrow the original Resident Evil (which came in the huge cardboard box that a number of the original PS1 games came in) and then he kinda disappeared. Which I should have seen coming because he was screwing my room mate at the time, who was also screwing one of his friends. So, I nabbed a copy of FF7 from the second friend, re bought RE1 when it came out as a Director's Cut (now with rumble) and called it a wash.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I lost my copy of Final Fantasy X-2 when my college roommate took it (apparently he just grabbed all PS2 games near his PS2, of which someone had borrowed my copy of FFX-2 and left it over there). Never got it back. Not entirely sure I miss it though... (gameplay-wise not a bad game, but my god the story...)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I used to lose shit all the time

I have nobody to blame but myself. Some of the stuff I've lost because I was a butthead:

Tomba! 2

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast

2 copies of Final Fantasy VII

at least 3 or 4 each of Starcraft and Diablo II

a disc or two of Final Fantasy VIII

a straight-from-Japan copy of Super Robot Wars F for the PS1

JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.