As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's play the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG series (Sonic CD: Wacky Workbench/GOT THEM ALL)

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gah, I tried to play along with you, but I didn't remember just how difficult Sonic 1 is. I can't make it past Spring Yard. Got all the way to Robotnik and died. I remember hating Labyrinth Zone, too. And if Sonic Mega Collection (GCN) has Sonic CD then I don't know what to do to unlock it, but I've never played Sonic CD and would love to try it out.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    Gah, I tried to play along with you, but I didn't remember just how difficult Sonic 1 is. I can't make it past Spring Yard. Got all the way to Robotnik and died. I remember hating Labyrinth Zone, too. And if Sonic Mega Collection (GCN) has Sonic CD then I don't know what to do to unlock it, but I've never played Sonic CD and would love to try it out.

It doesn't have it. :(

MKR on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MKR wrote: »

It's on Sonic Gems, right? If I remember right, its the only good game on the disk.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Ahhh I have sonic cd but my sega cd is broken..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Doesn't the game suck on Sonic Gems? I remember people bitching about it and it is best played on Sega Cd.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It's on Sonic Gems, right? If I remember right, its the only good game on the disk.

Not so! Vectorman is on there too. :p

Galcian's Son on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Heh, I thought Vectorman was on Mega Collection, it's been awhile.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Heh, I thought Vectorman was on Mega Collection, it's been awhile.

The only non-sonic games on the mega collection are Ristar and Flicky.

MKR on
  • Options
    Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the people that moan about Sonic Gems having the US soundtrack as default for Sonic CD are right, really.. I've heard both, and the Japanese soundtrack is way better. Except for Robotnik's theme. A dance track for Robotnik? Ooookay...

Galcian's Son on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the people that moan about Sonic Gems having the US soundtrack as default for Sonic CD are right, really.. I've heard both, and the Japanese soundtrack is way better. Except for Robotnik's theme. A dance track for Robotnik? Ooookay...

What, he's not allowed to get down and get funky? hehe

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Although I know this opinion isn't popular, I've always actually preferred the US soundtrack to Sonic CD. This might be because it garners so much universal hatred in the fandom, that I approached it with excessively low expectations. I seriously know people who won't touch the game unless it's got the Jap soundtrack, which is kinda pathetic IMO. Plus, the US invincibility theme rocks hardcore - it's my current ringtone!

Great Sonic 1 playthrough! :) It really looked as though you were enjoying the hell out of Labyrinth and Star Light. Can't wait to see the other games - observing another person's playing style makes me feel curiously introspective about my own, especially how I can't play Scrap Brain Zone without losing my rings over and over, despite playing the game frequently for 16 years.

I'm curious to see how many Good Futures you pull off in Sonic CD, something I've never had the time or patience to do beyond the first three zones.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What? The US and JP soundtracks get about equal love as far as I've seen. I like both plenty. US version has better opening/ending themes, but a lot of the JP BGMs are excellent.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Eh, maybe it's just the circles I've travelled in the fandom, but I usually hear nothing but derision for the US soundtrack. I'm glad there are people who think otherwise, though. :)

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man how can anyone hate Sonic Boom?

"Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom
    Trouble keeps you runnin' faster
    Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom
    Save the planet from disaster!"
    :whistle:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Man how can anyone hate Sonic Boom?

"Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom
    Trouble keeps you runnin' faster
    Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom
    Save the planet from disaster!"
    :whistle:

Grahhh! That gets stuck in my head all the time. Like now. For the rest of the day.

You can reach the other siiiiiide.... of the rainbooow

shyguy on
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wheres stage 1 of CD man!?!?!?

I need my fix :-(

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Frabba wrote: »
    Wheres stage 1 of CD man!?!?!?

I need my fix :-(
    Yeah, me too. I get home from work and am like, "Aw yeah, I'ma mix a cocktail and watch TSR play some damned Sonic!" Then I check the thread and am confronted only with D:.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    His head filled with so much Sonic knowledge that he collapsed in on himself.

MKR on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Although I know this opinion isn't popular, I've always actually preferred the US soundtrack to Sonic CD. This might be because it garners so much universal hatred in the fandom, that I approached it with excessively low expectations. I seriously know people who won't touch the game unless it's got the Jap soundtrack, which is kinda pathetic IMO. Plus, the US invincibility theme rocks hardcore - it's my current ringtone!

Great Sonic 1 playthrough! :) It really looked as though you were enjoying the hell out of Labyrinth and Star Light. Can't wait to see the other games - observing another person's playing style makes me feel curiously introspective about my own, especially how I can't play Scrap Brain Zone without losing my rings over and over, despite playing the game frequently for 16 years.

I'm curious to see how many Good Futures you pull off in Sonic CD, something I've never had the time or patience to do beyond the first three zones.

I get good futures in every level.

Uploading Palmtree Panic right now!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What? The US and JP soundtracks get about equal love as far as I've seen. I like both plenty. US version has better opening/ending themes, but a lot of the JP BGMs are excellent.

You don't like "You Can Do Anything?"

That was going to be Sonic's theme song for a long while, you know.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You don't like "You Can Do Anything?"

That was going to be Sonic's theme song for a long while, you know.
    It's a nice melody, but I'm not big on J-Pop singers using English. The STH2 Game Gear version is fine.

Also, lol.

Also x2, YTMND delivers!

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    fucking shit, somethings wrong with my upload speed. THis is going to take forever.

Give it a bit, guys, something fucked up with my internet connection.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Oh god, what's the name of the second song that plays in this YTMND?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

"Answers" by Vigilante.

That's the only good part of the song, unfortunately.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

"Answers" by Vigilante.

That's the only good part of the song, unfortunately.

That sucks. Because that part of the song is EPIC.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Isn't it on the Sonic 10th anni gold cd that came with Sonic Adventure 2.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Guess not, but oh well. I am listen to my Gold Sonic CD now.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This had better be uploaded by the time I get off work, or it's the hose again!

gilrain on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

Just put the video in the basket!

Seriously, though- we wait with bated breath.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »

Just put the video in the basket!

Seriously, though- we wait with bated breath.

It rubs the emeralds on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dammit, something is really wrong with my connection. And, unfortunately, I have to take care of some fraternity shit, so I can't upload tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry guys.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dammit, something is really wrong with my connection. And, unfortunately, I have to take care of some fraternity shit, so I can't upload tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry guys.

D:

Damn, I was looking forward to the Sonic CD goodness. Hope it straightens out by tomorrow!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Holy crap, Sonic Rush Adventure isn't shit. The level design is a huge improvement over the original Rush, and the art direction is so much better - more badnick variety and wonderfully colourful and whimsical levels.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    Holy crap, Sonic Rush Adventure isn't shit. The level design is a huge improvement over the original Rush, and the art direction is so much better - more badnick variety and wonderfully colourful and whimsical levels.

Are there animal badniks?!?!!?!?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yes, including the bosses (although there are quite a few variations of robot undead pirates for normal enemies in addition to the animal robots), it's seriously the single best post Mega Drive Sonic game by a large margin. I feel kinda' blasphemous for saying this but I think I might actually like it better than Sonic 2, then again, I have an unusually low opinion of Sonic 2 (for the record Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in the running for my favorite game of all time).

wateyad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Oh ho, yes! This will be an education for me, then.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Oh ho, yes! This will be an education for me, then.

Well, normally by Quartz Quadrant, I don't need to look for time capsules anymore because I have all 7 timestones... if you'd like, I could hold off on getting the 7th time stone till Metallic Madness act 2 so I can show everyone where the time capsules are.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That would be awesome. I really enjoy watching you play, its like one of those stop motion time trials without the stop motion.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wateyad wrote: »

Yes, including the bosses (although there are quite a few variations of robot undead pirates for normal enemies in addition to the animal robots), it's seriously the single best post Mega Drive Sonic game by a large margin. I feel kinda' blasphemous for saying this but I think I might actually like it better than Sonic 2, then again, I have an unusually low opinion of Sonic 2 (for the record Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in the running for my favorite game of all time).

When I bought the game I was really pissed off that the game was trying to be a 'Sonic Adventure' game (I only found out it wasn't called 'Sonic Rush 2' until a freind pointed out the box in a games store), I really wasn't happy to have to skip 10 munites of cutscenes, diolauge, tutourials and fumble through a bunch of 3d minigames just to play the first level of the game. Sure, the core gameplay is great but I could still do without all this storyline crap and all these mandatory touch screen games. Safe to say I gave the game another chance and decided to watch all the cutscenes and actually find out what the game wanted me to do and so far it hasn't grated me yet (Just built the radio tower) but I really wish they didn't think they have to put all this extra stuff into a game that had a perfectley great forumula to begin with (Sonic Rush), just the improved level design would of sold me on the game.

By the way, did the Jet Set Radio/Sonic Rush guy do the soundtrack to this? It doesn't sound much like his work.

Back on topic, cant wait for the next vid, I always have trouble on Sonic CD and would love to see a master play through it.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wateyad wrote: »

When I bought the game I was really pissed off that the game was trying to be a 'Sonic Adventure' game (I only found out it wasn't called 'Sonic Rush 2' until a freind pointed out the box in a games store), I really wasn't happy to have to skip 10 munites of cutscenes, diolauge, tutourials and fumble through a bunch of 3d minigames just to play the first level of the game. Sure, the core gameplay is great but I could still do without all this storyline crap and all these mandatory touch screen games. Safe to say I gave the game another chance and decided to watch all the cutscenes and actually find out what the game wanted me to do and so far it hasn't grated me yet (Just built the radio tower) but I really wish they didn't think they have to put all this extra stuff into a game that had a perfectley great forumula to begin with (Sonic Rush), just the improved level design would of sold me on the game.

By the way, did the Jet Set Radio/Sonic Rush guy do the soundtrack to this? It doesn't sound much like his work.

Back on topic, cant wait for the next vid, I always have trouble on Sonic CD and would love to see a master play through it.
    Yeah, that is the only issue but the dialogue is surprisingly bearable, even if there is too much of it and it's not like the vehicle mini-games are unfun or anything, it winds up just being as if the zones were breaks in the special stages rather than the other way round. I did like how the whole map exploration thing allowed for a bunch of hidden levels though, even if there were only two or three I particularly liked.

wateyad on