Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I've been able to play through a few more sections tonight so I have material for this week, and I just wanted to say:

"I HATE ALIEN WORLDS!"

that is all.

Lambda Complex should be going up Wednesday. I'll probably be quite busy at work tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

GIFT GET GIFS
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User
    edited November 2007
    MidVicious wrote: »
    I played Xen once already dammit and that was enough.

Oh, and, fuck the Nihilanth.
    I adore this game like few others, but yeah, HELL yeah, those levels sucked. On repeated playthroughs I always stop there.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Death Groupie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MidVicious wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »
    Please add to the OP about Black Mesa:

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

I can't fucking wait for it! But damn are they taking their sweet time, going on three years now. :(

It sucks that Valve won't help them with the project. But then, I think either Valve or their once parent company Activision (not sure of the history about this) knows that if (and God pray when!) this project is released, sales for the original Half-Life game will plummet because this will be a free alternative.

Valve won the rights to all of their games when they sued Vivindi (Or rather, when Vivindi sued them trying to claim that they owned the rights when they really didn't have a leg to stand on). Activision has never been associated with Valve Software. It was just Sierra, who got bought by Vivindi.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Valve (or someone related) bought the source code/maps etc. to BlackMesaSource after its completion specifically so they could sell it on the market. Either way I wouldn't be too upset, as long as the BMS team got their credit.

Way bigger headache than it's worth. The BMS team isn't some little 3 man mod group.. there's dozens of people work on it, and I'm willing to bet that there's been several dozen who have worked on it, and who's work still exists in the project in some form, meaning Valve would have to compensate each and every person. (This is why CS retail was missing a bunch of favorite maps; the people who made them didn't want to sell the rights to them to Valve.)

steam_sig.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i loved xen

Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter

totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • Gear GirlGear Girl Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MMAN wrote: »

Haha, you have an unhealthy obsession with making sure everything that can break is broken or that can explode is blown up...but then again..so do I.

steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought Xen was neat. Jumping puzzles = no fun, but it was definitely something different.

edited November 2007
    Lambda Core
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
    edited November 2007
    Good stuff..can't wait for Xen.

steam_sig.png
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User
    edited November 2007
    I thought Xen was neat. Jumping puzzles = no fun, but it was definitely something different.

Yah, I found Xen fine until the final fight. That was just too frustrating for words. Since the first time I beat that crackbaby I have played through the game 2 more times, but I use noclilp and flymode and just blow him to bits on the 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. I don't know why I even bother doing that really. I guess I crave my one textline finale, heh.

Can't wait till that black mesa source is done. I am itching to play again, but I want to wait till that project is done.

I've never actually played all the way through blueshift or opposing force either. Wish someone would give them the source treatment as well.

edited November 2007
    Since Xen and Gonarch's Lair are so small and devoid of any real story I'll probably do Xen tomorrow and Gonarch's Lair Friday. I'm working through Interloper now, but I don't think I'll have it done for Friday.

It's been, interesting, to say the least.. :D

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok , its not that xen was bad... its that its "pacing" seemed off to me if that makes any sense , and both boss battles were annoying.

edited November 2007
    Didn't really have any trouble with the boss battles..the mini headcrabs are a bit annoying but the end boss is easy once you get the pattern down..which takes all of 10 seconds.

steam_sig.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smudge wrote: »

Yah, I found Xen fine until the final fight. That was just too frustrating for words. Since the first time I beat that crackbaby I have played through the game 2 more times, but I use noclilp and flymode and just blow him to bits on the 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. I don't know why I even bother doing that really. I guess I crave my one textline finale, heh.

Can't wait till that black mesa source is done. I am itching to play again, but I want to wait till that project is done.

I've never actually played all the way through blueshift or opposing force either. Wish someone would give them the source treatment as well.

I don't think that is going to be done anytime soon. According to their forums they're around 50% done and that took them three years.

My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2007
    Xen
    Spoiler:

Just a small section today. Gonarch's lair is pretty small too, but I won't have the next section after that done by tomorrow, so it will be just that. I'm just happy I can give you guys updates in some sort of decent time frame. :D

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just FYI, the blue pools heal you.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Just FYI, the blue pools heal you.

I was wondering if thats what it was. :)

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • MMANMMAN Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Haha, you have an unhealthy obsession with making sure everything that can break is broken or that can explode is blown up...but then again..so do I.

I'm actually using a lot of restraint in this playthrough :P .

Power up! done: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/5753236

• MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Interesting!

After looking at the Xen walkthrough, I realized that thing he powered up using the claw thingies were of similar design to the Combine power 'tubes' with the energy balls flowing up and down.

Cool little continuity thing...

"When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Not a Robot Skeleton A Robot Skeleton PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All this classic, boxy-polygon goodness has me tempted to pick up the PS2 version of HL1... is it good? I haven't been able to find a review of the PS2 version, though I fear it may have horrid controls...

Also, is it just me or are there several possible paths through the beginning of the game?

tQCnY.giftom_sig2.jpg
    edited November 2007
    All this classic, boxy-polygon goodness has me tempted to pick up the PS2 version of HL1... is it good? I haven't been able to find a review of the PS2 version, though I fear it may have horrid controls...

Also, is it just me or are there several possible paths through the beginning of the game?

It comes with Half-Life: Decay the third expansion so that is a bonus..no idea about the controls and everything..I'd personally want to play it on PC and there is a team porting Decay over to the PC so I'll wait for that I think.

Only one path I think, you might have to be more specific as to where you are talking about.

steam_sig.png
  • NuravarNuravar Registered User
    edited November 2007

It comes with Half-Life: Decay the third expansion so that is a bonus..no idea about the controls and everything..I'd personally want to play it on PC and there is a team porting Decay over to the PC so I'll wait for that I think.

Only one path I think, you might have to be more specific as to where you are talking about.
    I'm not 100% sure about the main game, but I played Decay recently and can comfirm it lets you use USB keyboard and mouse. So anyway, I would assume you could play PS2 HL with KBAM too.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why even bother with PS2? The PC version functions perfectly fine. Plus you get all the awesome mods.

• NuravarNuravar Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Well I bought the PS2 version for Decay and I know about the mod team trying to bring it to the PC but who knows if that will pan out. I think the real answer here is to get it for Decay and then Steam the rest.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Not a Robot Skeleton A Robot Skeleton PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why even bother with PS2? The PC version functions perfectly fine. Plus you get all the awesome mods.

Because, alas, I have a Mac and I'm not gonna go spend $2000 on a kick-ass PC to play HL, HL2, etc. I am, however, very tempted to save up for a 360, if only to play the Orange Box.

I played HL2 on a friend's PC, and the first bit of HL Hi-Res on the same friend's PC. I am a game moocher, what can I say?

EDIT: I remember I was working on killing the giant alien-plant-thing with the rocket engine when I stopped playing. And a lot of the stuff in this LP up until that point is oddly unfamiliar. Or maybe the OP is side-tracking a bit to show us some cool bits in the game!

tQCnY.giftom_sig2.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Because, alas, I have a Mac and I'm not gonna go spend $2000 on a kick-ass PC to play HL, HL2, etc. I am, however, very tempted to save up for a 360, if only to play the Orange Box.

Without wanting to dive into the "lol cheap" aspect (I'm not) but for Orange Box, et al, sans monitor, you should be able to get a computer capable of playing them for ~500 or so.

camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2007
    Excuse my incredible ignorance of anything to do with macs but would you not be able to get things up and running with bootcamp?

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Excuse my incredible ignorance of anything to do with macs but would you not be able to get things up and running with bootcamp?

Bootcamp? Eh? *Looks at the Mac site* Oh man this better work well, 'cause my Dad just got Leopard for me yesterday, and if Bootcamp doesn't make my machine run really slow, then we're in business and Orange Box fun awaits me! Hurrah! Gonna need some more RAM, though.

BTW, for you all y'all to know, Bootcamp is a feature of OS X Leopard, it apparently lets you run 32-bit XP and/or Vista on a Mac machine.

We shall soon see if this works! :D

tQCnY.giftom_sig2.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You might want to check to see if your mac has any kind of 3d card before purchasing HL2. HL1 it can no doubt handle.

Spoiler:
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »
    You might want to check to see if your mac has any kind of 3d card before purchasing HL2. HL1 it can no doubt handle.

Well I've played WoW on this computer, no problem... so I assume I have a 3D card...
    "About This Mac" tells me I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 card, which despite having a web-page about it, I am not sure if it a 3D card persay.

Thanks y'all for your help, by the way. But anything to allow another gaming soul to enjoy thining with portals, yeah?

tQCnY.giftom_sig2.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well I've played WoW on this computer, no problem... so I assume I have a 3D card...
    "About This Mac" tells me I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 card, which despite having a web-page about it, I am not sure if it a 3D card persay.

Thanks y'all for your help, by the way. But anything to allow another gaming soul to enjoy thining with portals, yeah?

That should be enough for HL2, if memory serves (although I don't know if bootcamp acts as an emulator or just as a proper dual-boot program). I'm not sure how much requirements scale up for episodes 1 and 2 (and therefore portal and TF2), though.

Edit: Found a quote about that card: "Made Half-Life 2 reasonably playable on a notebook - quite a noteworthy accomplishment."

So HL2 should be playable, presumably at mid-to-low settings. I wouldn't hold my breath for EPs 1 and 2, though.

camo_sig2.png
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Bootcamp is just a front-end for dual booting which means you'll need a copy of XP, and it will run natively. Sounds like you have a first gen macbook pro, HL2 should run awesome with at least 1-2 gb of ram. EP2/Portal/TF2 are more demanding but should run fine if you tone down the settings.

There is a HL2 demo if you want to check!

• EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    To backtrack a bit, the PS2 port of Half-Life is awesome. It stands with Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast as one of the best PC to console ports in existence. Controls are good, graphics aren't shabby (and the models actually surpass the quality of the PC high definition pack), and you get Decay. Also, if you can track down a December 2002 copy of OPM and it's demo disc, you can play UpLink as well. The only caveat is the load times are obviously longer than what you would get on a modern PC.

edited November 2007
    Gonarch's Lair
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
    edited November 2007
    Curly_Brace:
    I'm running HL (and HL2) on a laptop with 2GB of RAM and a nVidia Quaddro NVS 110. Needless to say it's not the best graphics in the world, but it's playable.

As far as me going to different areas in the LP? Not really. I've never played past the first section of HL before and decided that I wanted to play through it, and with the Orange Box release I figured I'll make it an LP as well. So what you are seeing is what someone would likely see/do when it's their first time through the game. The videos MMAN is putting together would probably show you more than I do, as he is more knowledgeable of the game and much more thorough.

Also, just want to put this out there.
    It's been a while since I've asked, but is there anything I can do to improve my LP? Something you guys would like to see or something? Or not see? Just want to keep the quality up and I realized today that I've been kinda rushing the posts a little and my comments aren't really the deepest or most insightful. Part of that is just the game doesn't seem to give you too much to work with as you explore and get from point A to point B. Some areas moreso than others.

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Or go the used PC route. I have seen computers VERY capable of playing HL2 and Orange box go for under $300 with monitor on craigslist.

HL2 does not have very high system specs, and it degrades very nicely. The biggest improvement to the game in the expansions is HDL and that can be turned off without any big hit to the visuals.

My computer is about 3 years old, and it wasn't top of the line then and I still can play modern pc games fine. Bioshock, HL1 & 2, quakewars... The PC tech curve is not nearly as nasty as it was a decade ago when 3d was newer. My 3 year old system can play games fine in 1600x1200 resolution as long as I turn off AA and AF. AA and AF are pretty much useless at that high of a resolution anyway.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Also, just want to put this out there.
    It's been a while since I've asked, but is there anything I can do to improve my LP? Something you guys would like to see or something? Or not see? Just want to keep the quality up and I realized today that I've been kinda rushing the posts a little and my comments aren't really the deepest or most insightful. Part of that is just the game doesn't seem to give you too much to work with as you explore and get from point A to point B. Some areas moreso than others.

I actually can't think of anything wrong with your LP. This and the STALKER LP have been the most entertaining ones I have read.

SarahBlasko_WTSWTSWH_sig2new.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. Having not played HL in a while, this is great!

Are you planning to do one for Opposing Force? I think you should. Just make sure you do the tutorial.

fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    edited November 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah. Having not played HL in a while, this is great!

Are you planning to do one for Opposing Force? I think you should. Just make sure you do the tutorial.

Thanks Hybrid and Athenor!

Athenor, my plans unless someone beats me to it, are to do the following games/LPs:
    Opposing Force
    Blue Shift
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Granted, that could take a VERY long time to finally finish them all, but I'm getting into playing games again a bit right now, and I've been wanting to play HL2 but my continuity minded self wants to play all of the HL1 stuff first.

I'm debating on maybe doing a video LP like MMAN is doing simply because it would remove the need for me to pause and get screenshots and I could play normally in the future. I'm not sure what software to use for that though or if that would be a good idea either. Personally, I enjoy screenshot LPs (Read through the SS2, and currently keeping up with the STALKER, Indiana Jones, Chrono Cross, and Silent Hill 2) and commenting later on screenshots is probably easier than trying to provide a real-time commentary while playing. So for right now I'm sticking with screenshots.

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    noooo please play HL2 next! I want to play that game again but I don't have time for it. Watching you play it would be excellent.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg