As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Republican Debates

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, that was fun.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OH GOD, ALL OF THE CANDIDATES ARE COMING UP ON STAGE!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Huck or Romney, probably Huck since he won Iowa and should have been on the defensive.

werehippy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think Huckabee took this one.

And hereeeeee comes Obama and Friends.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Classy attack on trial lawyers by Mitt.
    And by classy I mean underhanded.
    And thats our final note.

So; who won?

The terrorists.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    100 bucks on someone punching someone in the mouth.
    Wait, they're just hugging.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    HboxHbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Uh oh. They have to shake Hillary's hand. All their poll numbers are going to go down 10%!

Hbox on
    720551nt8.png
    PSN ID : HBoxx
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Huck or Romney, probably Huck since he won Iowa and should have been on the defensive.

Yup.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hilary is short.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Somebody slug someone already.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd say McCain and Paul. McCain for staying the most reasonable, and Paul looking remotely sane. Thompson lost for making an ass of himself.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wait, Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopowopobopolis?
    NOOOOO!!!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hbox wrote: »
    Uh oh. They have to shake Hillary's hand. All their poll numbers are going to go down 10%!

I wanna see her spit acid in Rudy's face!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess they didn't want to seem too negative.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    HboxHbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It seems like whoever manages to talk least in these debates is the winner.

Hbox on
    720551nt8.png
    PSN ID : HBoxx
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yup.

I'll agree to this. To a large degree, he wasn't in the mud with the others at all.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh boy, an anti-intellectual orange juice commercial!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd say Romney got pounded on and came out the worst of the debate. Huckabee probably won the debate, but I'd say McCain is going to come out on top in the primary as a result of this with Huck in #2.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I just saw McCain giving a speech on C-Span. I couldn't help thinking "man, they really get back to work fast."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hey, are we all going over to the other thread now?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Huckabee won, mainly since he was the only one who didn't come across like your grandpa throwing a tantrum.

McCain takes a close second, I guess.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It was a tossup between McCain and Huckabee IMO, but only cause huckabee stayed on the defensive for the most part. Romney was pounded on a good deal IMO, and i gotta give Thompson props for doing a whole lotta talking about a whole lotta nothing. But that laid back drawl is so charming and he makes me laugh.

Giulliani suprisingly kept 9/11 to a minimum, at least by his standards. Ron Paul was typical Ron Paul.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    Polled.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I must have missed the wrong parts of the debate from several interruptions, because my impression was that Romney did well. What exactly was the pounding everyone's referring to?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    I must have missed the wrong parts of the debate from several interruptions, because my impression was that Romney did well. What exactly was the pounding everyone's referring to?

This one was much more of a free for all than the Dem debate, and there were several points were every candidate on the stage took turns wailing on Romney for a couple minutes. At one point it looked like they were about to throw down.

Good stuff.

werehippy on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Smasher wrote: »

This one was much more of a free for all than the Dem debate, and there were several points were every candidate on the stage took turns wailing on Romney for a couple minutes. At one point it looked like they were about to throw down.

Good stuff.

Pretty much, McCain in particular was throwing most of the shots towards Romney. Thompson made a noteworthy remark towards Romney about his wanting to implement health insurance mandates. All of them arguing was probably the best part of the debate.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I wonder if someone will bring up the fact that Eisenhower started the 'moon project' because it was the dream of a German scientist grabbed after WW2...

I believe the story was that he was standing on his toilet, hanging a clock when he slipped and fell. When he came to, he sketched the idea for the moon project.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm watching. "The Chinese are demanding more oil. Going around the world and making all kind of deals with dictators, and causing all kind of other problems because of it."

I don't think it's just China, Fred.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This debate format is fantastic. Debate catfights are awesome.

I loved it. They were delightfully nasty.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ron Paul seems like the only guy smart enough to keep the government out of the internet and the only one who wouldn't blame video games as a scapegoat to violence.

Onslaught_Fei on
    XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ron Paul got destroyed by Rudy on the topic of Muslim terrorism. That's just pathetic.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Ron Paul got destroyed by Rudy on the topic of Muslim terrorism. That's just pathetic.

I disagree, Rudy came out looking like a butt. Muslims do not hate America for the sake of something to hate.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    He didn't say that, but ok.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    He didn't say that, but ok.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xn5vpYOpVEg

That's pretty much what he said.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No, not really. In fact, Rudy's views on Muslim extremists really aren't any different from the Democratic front-runners. It's his "keep the fight on offense" bullshit that is stupid. The failure in Iraq made terrorism more popular. If it succeeded, the good would hugely outweigh the bad (not that that would excuse it, or that a good outcome was ever even plausible). Normal people don't blow themselves up over a military base.

Hoz on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did it seem to anyone else that every time Ron Paul spoke, the other candidates decided to all talk at the same time to make him look bad?

Qorzm on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No, not really. In fact, Rudy's views on Muslim extremists really aren't any different from the Democratic front-runners. It's his "keep the fight on offense" bullshit that is stupid. The failure in Iraq made terrorism more popular. If it succeeded, the good would hugely outweigh the bad (not that that would excuse it, or that a good outcome was ever even plausible). Normal people don't blow themselves up over a military base.

Find me a Democratic candidate using the term "Islamofacist" freely.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Find me a Democratic candidate using the term "Islamofacist" freely.
    Sorry, but their vocabulary really means nothing in terms of the views that he expressed during this debate. I'm sure it indicates his root belief and his willingness to side with neocon beliefs, but what he said is much more sane (and historically correct) than what Paul kept struggling with.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Not exactly debate related, but Huck was on ABC with Stephanopoulos, and now Romney is on. This is pretty fun, because Steph is making them his bitch.

werehippy on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rudy said that he would increase the size of the military by 200,000. This is quite a feat during wartime, with a very unpopular war, that has been dragging on for years. I would really like to know what his plan is to do that.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander