As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles hype thread - Very, very simply one of the best games this year

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For the record, I think stigs complaints are totally fine and legitimate ones. He holds strategy games to certain standards and this game just don't cut the mustard for him.

This games combinations however, sounds like liquid sex in a bottle to me, personally.

All this talk of other strategy games is really making me want to hunt down a copy of Close Combat III. God I loved that game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    Stole a sig.

Awwww yeah. Bring the Word to the unbelievers!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I totally see Stig's POV. He prefers hard tactics games, and has even real life experience that causes him to see problems in how the games tactics are set up. It's not like a flat tactics games, where "rock terrain" gives you different modifiers than "sand terrain," but if you're moving in a 3D world and the tactics you're working with are essentially "tactics-lite," then yeah, makes sense.

Me personally I'm not that into hardcore tactics. I enjoy the idea behind it but I don't want to keep track of stats & modifiers, many of which can be used against me in ways I wasn't expecting. I find that those types of games lead to a "one true path" approach, and are usually more difficult because of it.

I'm going to hold out on playing the demo to see if a US one is released before launch. Pretty sure that other Qore demos eventually show up for everyone. I'm not in a rush to play a demo for a game that I can't buy right away, anyway.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Me personally I'm not that into hardcore tactics. I enjoy the idea behind it but I don't want to keep track of stats & modifiers, many of which can be used against me in ways I wasn't expecting. I find that those types of games lead to a "one true path" approach, and are usually more difficult because of it.

Have you played X-COM?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So Inspiration hit, hopefully the results will benefit all...

selvaria1kv2.jpg

edy2ry5.jpg

tankkv3.jpg

selvaria4sc8.jpg

welkin2sz0.jpg

Enjoy!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nice! Sig GET!

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just got my friend to try the demo, but he couldn't get his characters to run. A lot of them died because of the time it took to get to cover. I thought maybe he hit something to toggle run, but it wasn't until later on i noticed he was using D pad.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    Just got my friend to try the demo, but he couldn't get his characters to run. A lot of them died because of the time it took to get to cover. I thought maybe he hit something to toggle run, but it wasn't until later on i noticed he was using D pad.

Aaaahahahahahahah. That sucks.

Also: Awesome work CarbonFire

Chance on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hell yeah, Edy!

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gah 2.5 firmware is pissing me off. First when I finaly stop procrastinating and try to make a UK acount the new acount manager locks up when trying to enter a text field. Now to top things off Warhawks authentication server is broken so I can't even play on a P2P server.

My night preaty much went to the dogs. Oh well I still have half a bottle of patron and TF2.

Edit: Wow what a shitty post for top of the page. To apologize for the poor post quality, have a picture of a kitten.
    normal_domokuns-kitten.jpg

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I love that picture. The first time I saw it the caption was "every time you masturbate, god kills a kitten."

Anyway, about Valkyria Chronicles -
    So up here in Canuckia, we don't get jack squat for preordering. Given that sorry state, I'm thinking of preordering Fallout 3 when I go in to pick up LBP next week. My question is, do we get anything in Canada with an EB preorder for FO3? Or do only the CE, SE, CSE editions get bobble heads n' such?

And, if peterdevore is still checkin' up on this thread, I got a question for ya, Mr. I-Got-The-Japanese-Version...
    In vids, I've seen context sensitive actions like crawling through tall grass (I think). I figure it's triggered the same way you duck behind sandbags in the demo - press x. My question is, can every character do every action like that? I mean, can Largo, the heavy weapons dude, sneak up on someone by crawling through grass?

Or is that just silly?

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darksteel wrote: »

Have you played X-COM?

No, nor any other PC tactics games. And when it comes to RTS, I'd rather have Pikmin over *craft.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Have you played X-COM?

No, nor any other PC tactics games. And when it comes to RTS, I'd rather have Pikmin over *craft.

Well, first of all, X-COM is a turn-based tactical RPG and not real-time strategy. Secondly, X-COM is far, far from having a "one true path" approach. It's pretty freeform, with even the first action the game (where in the world to place your first base) is left up to you to decide. When and how many bases you have, how many soldiers, engineers, or scientists to hire, the specialties they take, equipment, and choice of deployment is decided by you as well. In battle, there are no set stages, as every level is randomly generated, but there will always be ways to outflank your opponent with direction or height, no matter what the map. Same holds true for the majority of PC turn-based tactics games. Don't know where you got the idea of them having "one true path".

When I think about it, I'm sure the Valkyria Chronicles developers took at least some inspiration from X-COM when making their game. The mechanic in Valkyria Chronicles where infantry shoot other anyone that crosses their line of sight? Came from X-COM (though there you had to leave some action points unspent after ending your turn). Researching new weapons and unlocking additional abilities in-between battles? Came from X-COM.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Have you played X-COM?

Well, first of all, X-COM is a turn-based tactical RPG and not real-time strategy. Secondly, X-COM is far, far from having a "one true path" approach. It's pretty freeform, with even the first action the game (where in the world to place your first base) is left up to you to decide. When and how many bases you have, how many soldiers, engineers, or scientists to hire, the specialties they take, equipment, and choice of deployment is decided by you as well. In battle, there are no set stages, as every level is randomly generated, but there will always be ways to outflank your opponent with direction or height, no matter what the map. Same holds true for the majority of PC turn-based tactics games. Don't know where you got the idea of them having "one true path".

When I think about it, I'm sure the Valkyria Chronicles developers took at least some inspiration from X-COM when making their game. The mechanic in Valkyria Chronicles where infantry shoot other anyone that crosses their line of sight? Came from X-COM (though there you had to leave some action points unspent after ending your turn). Researching new weapons and unlocking additional abilities in-between battles? Came from X-COM.

I'm not saying X-COM is a bad game (and I made the Pikmin/*Craft RTS comment to point out that I typically prefer console-based interpretations of typically PC-oriented games, anyway). I don't dig tactics games that play like a sandbox, forcing you to maintain everything. It's one of my dislikes of many PC games -- I don't like having to maintain & figure out stats for every little thing. And while X-COM has a lot of variety, it's also known for being very difficult, punishing newbies and those who aren't familiar with the workable tactics in the game.

I understand that it means victories are that much more satisfying, but I enjoy the journey as much, if not more, than the resolution.

My argument about "one true path" isn't necessarily geared towards PC strategy/tactics games, or a particular line of games. Well, OK, Advance Wars is like that. In other genres, Splinter Cell had a similar criticism, that there was "one true path." Obviously it's fine if a game is set up to be linear, but tactics games usually start with the idea that you have an open battlefield, these are your units, and you have to win. You can crush the opposition, you can barely scrape by, but a good tactics game will allow you to do anything along that spectrum (as well as lose, of course). I usually see games that allow that breadth of gameplay as simply being well-balanced, with no abusive computer-only characters.

Given the length of time involved in a typical level for most tactics-style games, an inability to turn a battle because of one wrong move leaves me cold. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing Advance Wars on the GBA, and why I haven't even bothered with newer titles in that line. It's also a common complaint against a few battles in the origial Final Fantasy Tactics. So my question was less a criticism of older games, and more a question for which path Valkyria Chronicles takes.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've heard that later levels can be very tough (I can't get more descriptive than that), but you can save mid-battle any time you like.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    zestydeezestydee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    stole a sig

also downloaded the valkyria ps3 theme frome the ps store, though it wasn't very good. the wallpaper is too white/bright so you can't read the text on the xmb (and you can't change the text color /shrug).

anyways, had this game pre-ordered for awhile now, thanks fore the euro psn demo info.

zestydee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    zestydee wrote: »
    stole a sig

also downloaded the valkyria ps3 theme frome the ps store, though it wasn't very good. the wallpaper is too white/bright so you can't read the text on the xmb (and you can't change the text color /shrug).

anyways, had this game pre-ordered for awhile now, thanks fore the euro psn demo info.

Sigs were freely offered, so no thievery involved.

And you can darken the background in the Themes Section to make the text readable....that's what I did :)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread makes me really want to play silent storm but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    zestydeezestydee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    zestydee wrote: »
    stole a sig

Sigs were freely offered, so no thievery involved.

And you can darken the background in the Themes Section to make the text readable....that's what I did :)

I was just going to swap out the picture to a different valkyria background, but I wanted a Catherine (sniper) related pic as she was my favorite in the demo, but i guess she's not a big story character as I can't seem to find any pictures of her. But mainly I was bitching about not being able to change the XMB text.

zestydee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's weird, in my version of the demo (there's versions?) the sniper's name is Marina. It's a damn shame she ain't a story character, 'cause she seems so... sniper-y. Slim, a cruel cut to the hair, antisocial potentials and a lot of attitude when she one-shots an enemy. What's not to like?

Also, yesterday like three people sent me PSN messages about the Valkyria theme, asking if I'd gotten it. I had, but I took one look at it and said 'it's just a bunch of pics? w/e, I'm going back to the Pip Boy theme'.

Then later today I took a second look at it. And I like it... >.< I like how each section has different shots of one character, so you see some of their personality... /sigh.

I shouldn't like this game as much as I do. It's a bit freakish.

Chance on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Eggytoast if you like tactics but don't want to get in depth with stats and all that junk check out http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

Or if you want real time check out Myth! http://www.projectmagma.net/what/

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Valk preordered.... There is a $10 gift card at amazon if you preorder. Though you may only be able to use it for a game, and it comes 10 days after. Still better than nothing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    ChubblyChubbly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can someone just answer me this..?

Can you get a damn S-rank in the demo. GOD! So many hours wasted (enjoyed) trying to get the damn rank. It is strange, I have never had so much fun with a demo, as I have yet to get bored with it. I like the simplicity route they took with the gameplay, I enjoy the concentrated essence it brings.

But don't be distracted now, someone here must have whored this out more than me to know if the S-rank is possible.

Chubbly on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh god, this makes me want a PS3 so much.

Looks quite delicious.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So this is basically a turn-based Myth with.. are there RPG elements? Disgaea meets Myth? I'm way too lazy to engage a UK PSN account.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chubbly wrote: »

Can you get a damn S-rank in the demo. GOD! So many hours wasted (enjoyed) trying to get the damn rank. It is strange, I have never had so much fun with a demo, as I have yet to get bored with it. I like the simplicity route they took with the gameplay, I enjoy the concentrated essence it brings.

But don't be distracted now, someone here must have whored this out more than me to know if the S-rank is possible.

I couldn't read exactly what the rank was (I think it was an "A" but the font was quite stylized), but it's possible to beat this in less than one full turn.
    with one scout.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    So this is basically a turn-based Myth with.. are there RPG elements? Disgaea meets Myth? I'm way too lazy to engage a UK PSN account.

No, more like a crazy japanese full spectrum warrior.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So this game looks pretty amazing.

BUT

Is the gameplay really as slow as I think it is? Because it looks pretty slow right now.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Valk preordered.... There is a $10 gift card at amazon if you preorder. Though you may only be able to use it for a game, and it comes 10 days after. Still better than nothing.

That's pretty sweet. Amazon did that with Little Big Planet, too. They don't seem to get the other preorder stuff, like costumes for LBP or art books for VC, but $10 is pretty nice. I'll use the $10 I get from LBP to preorder VC perhaps ;D

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So this game looks pretty amazing.

BUT

Is the gameplay really as slow as I think it is? Because it looks pretty slow right now.

It's a turn-based sRPG, so yeah, not the fastest-playing game in the world. You can certainly rush through your phases, but the end result would probably be less effective.

Just try the demo. Gives you a decent idea of what the full game will be like combat-wise.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After finaly getting a uk acount to work I realy enjoyed it. The xcom comparisons are definatly justified, cept more of a team based atmosphere with the way the phases are dolled out. Only thing I'm finding anoying is finding the sweet spot for snipers. Too close and they're perferated too far and you run a good risk of a headshot missing wide.

Either way, this is definatly a day one buy from me.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    Only thing I'm finding anoying is finding the sweet spot for snipers. Too close and they're perferated too far and you run a good risk of a headshot missing wide.

A good note for sniping is that if an enemy is kneeling / behind sandbags, you can't get the crit headshots. Like, even Alicia/Wavy can double-tap a standing scout to the head for a one-turn kill. If an Scout/Shock Trooper is kneeling, a Scout/Shock Trooper/Engineer can toss a grenade to one-shot 'em. Also, a Shock Trooper can run up to point-blank and destroy anything, even if it's kneeling. The only exception seems to be a Lancer, but this can be resolved with an additional volley from the same Shock Trooper or one good shot from a Sniper to finish the job.

If the enemy is standing though, headshots pwn. I've had Marina one shot the enemy Lancer just because he wasn't behind sandbags.

Of course, all these notes are exclusive to the demo. I'm sure there's accuracy-improvements you can get in the full game, that'll make a sniper lethal from well beyond an enemy Scout's intercept range.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Chubbly wrote: »

Oh - and no, there's no S rank in the US version. Our S rank is called A.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if anyone's put together detailed damage formulas.

Here's a pic showing (probably) all the non-story characters you can recruit.
    iup595193yb2.jpg

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man, I don't know about you, but I am totally recruiting hotak9.jpg the first chance I get, no matter what her potentials are. Hot.

Anyway, to whom it may concern:
    Reviews continue to trickle in! Following the 88% from RPGfan (they reviewed the Japanese version months ago, so the story isn't exactly... understood). Official Playstation Magazine for Dec '08 gives it a straight 9/10. I haven't been able to dig up any scans yet, but the single line of the review mentioned on Metacritic is "The story is a real hoot." I'll take it!

Also, for those of you who prefer your reviews in multiple-sentence format, this review from RPG Land was pointed out on the GameFAQs boards - apparently only the second time in that site's history that it's awarded a 10/10, the other being to Zelda: Wind Waker.

If you don't wanna' read the full review, here's the three parts I liked best:

From watching videos and looking at screens, it can be somewhat hard to tell where exactly the “RPG” fits into Valkyria Chronicles. No doubt about it, this is a tactical RPG. It is not “part FPS,” it is not “part third-person shooter,” and it has only the slightest touch of an action game. Though, this is not to say that it doesn’t take grand leaps away from SRPG convention — because it definitely does.

RPG Land wrote:
    What’s additionally excellent about this is that it adds a stronger defensive aspect to the battles, often absent from tactical RPGs. Sure, in past games it has been important to position a unit with its back pointing away from foes, take the higher ground, and such, but VC takes it to another level. That is to say, the act of defending is more “active.” Knowing that one’s units (at least those of the scout, infantry, and support classes) will, to some extent, try to ward off intruders in real time gives players of Valkyria a fresh take on the defensive aspect of an SRPG. One doesn’t just “gear up” for defense with better equipment or “Counter-Tackle,” one is actually playing defense to a greater extent than in previous SRPGs.

Unlike many tactical games, Valkyria Chronicles requires tactics. Gloriously, however, it does not confine the player to figuring out a single pattern or strategy per mission. Most missions (with some story-driven exceptions) can be completed with a strategy of the player’s devising, not necessarily the strategy the game wants the player to use. Furthermore, no single class dominates the game. Every class has strengths, flaws, and a special use. For example, scouts are the most adaptable overall, but a team full of scouts will have huge weaknesses.

RPG Land wrote:
    Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing experience. It’s rare, these days, that a game can make such a huge departure from its genre’s roots and yet keep the best things about it. It revolutionizes strategy RPGs in such a way that it can be appealing to fans of the subgenre, newcomers, and perhaps even sworn-off non-fans of it. The best thing that could happen now would be a sequel.

Edit: Arg, top-of-page post! Well, here's a picture of a gorilla high-fiving a shark. Nice.
    highfivetk9.jpg

Chance on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    must... have... willpower.

man i want this game though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    must... have... willpower.

man i want this game though.

The only two purchases I have locked down for this fall are LBP and VC. And, having played the LBP Beta and knowing exactly what I'm getting into there, I find myself looking forward to Valky C more.

Now I just need to decide between Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Man, I don't know about you, but I am totally recruiting hotak9.jpg the first chance I get, no matter what her potentials are. Hot.

Fraudia York, if you want the name.

Looking good with the reviews. I have to say I expected it to be totally average, but that's only because of my pessimistic outlook on games. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised. I hope this helps the game's publicity, since it really needs as much attention as it can get.

Slightly irked about that comment in the RPG Land review, where he said that overwatch firing was a new thing in tactical RPGs, when it was in X-COM, Jagged Alliance, Close Combat, etc, a decade or more earlier, but it ain't a biggie. Here I am rattling off about stupid Western tactical RPGs again. Ignore me. What's important is that the game got some nice reviews and hopefully, some public attention.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fraudia York, if you want the name.

Dah, my little frauline. Das iss goot, ya?

Chance on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well damn. Now I pretty much have to buy it. Single player only though, right? Might have to wait for a price drop..

JAEF on