As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Honestly, the most unsettling/scary thing so far (chapter 3) for me was
    The woman in chapter 2 right after you get out of the tram, sitting with the limbless corpse, wearing a blindfold.

There is no D: big enough.

Ummm wait 'till you get into Medical. It gets D:-ier.

I finished Medical. You mean the
    Crazy woman who locked herself in one of those operating pod things and was cutting up a body, waves at you, then cuts her own neck?

Yeah, that was freaky, but a little less so because that's more standard "out of your mind" crazy than the blindfold woman.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The plot has also started to thicken a ton where I am in the game. It's less "Go fix the ship!" at this point. Which is nice.

Also, the part in medical where
    You find the captain's body, and he get's necromorphed by the bat thingy took me FOREVER. I had like 4 line gun shots and 6 shots with the plasma cutter. And that was IT. Finally did it and felt like a badass.

My girlfriend fell asleep with her legs across my lap at one point, and she would occasionally twitch her leg out of nowhere. I wasted some ammo when that happened. Sigh.
    That part was tough. Those things are like goddamn sub-bosses.

Although, one thing I've found so far is that I'm having absolutely no trouble with ammo. It might be because I'm playing on medium, or maybe I'm just really good at strategic dismemberment, but I have over 100 plasma shots left. Seems like they give you a lot.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just started playing Dead Space just got too the first upgrade bench, what should I start with?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm playing on hard and it usually takes at least three good shots with the plasma cutter to take off a limb. I run out of ammo fairly often. There have been times where I simply did not have ammo left after a big battle, even after dismembering almost flawlessly. I've had to freeze and curbstomp enemies several times.

The assault rifle is almost useless, and I unloaded two entire clips on the limbs of an enemy without killing it at one point (one of those tougher bastards that you see after Medical). It traps the enemy in a good stunlock, though, so if you're close to death it's a good last ditch effort.

Hard is hard.

Chapter 3 spoilers:
    To beat the bat-thing in Medical, I had to actually use my kinesis to move all the bodies in the room to the little ante-chamber you enter from, so they couldn't be resurrected into more nasty red dudes who take almost twenty plasma shots to kill. Worked like a charm, but those bastards are still really tough.

How good is the line gun? I bought the Pulse Rifle and regret it. Not very effective. The line gun seems to be very sparse on the ammo front, though.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    whatever you want!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Generally in these games, offensive capability is the best defense.

However, I'm not sure which way to go when playing on hard, because god damn they do a lot of damage when they hit me. Anything that jumps on me takes off half my health even when I'm prepared and mash that A button real good. I know that the first thing I bought was a suit upgrade.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've only bought the flamethrower so far, and it's really good.

Especially against those tiny ones. The plasma cutter is useless against them, and before the most effective way was simply to let them attack me and then swat them off.

I love how visceral melee is. You really feel like you're punching the fuck out of those things. And the stomp, I love the stomp, it's amazingly satisfying to keep stomping dead enemies.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah...I'll also agree with the guy who says he isn't have much ammo trouble(playing on normal too).

Really, pretty much every enemy I've fought so far has dropped ammo. Though I do need to backtrack a little since I missed a few nodes on the walls.

Also, sign me up in the club for people who stomp things well after they're dead. Just making sure.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    After I put one O2 upgrade into the suit, I poured the rest into my Plasma Cutter and so far it's proved to be a really, really good idea. The Plasma Cutter seems to stand in for your basic pistol in this game (with a very handy alt-fire), and once it's pimped out, it's been my go-to gun for bosses and tougher enemies. The Line gun is excellent for dismembering multiple foes at once (if they're close together/in single file), or cutting the legs out from under a slicer, for example. I also enjoy the *Contact Beam's alt-fire, which is essentially an AOE.

Edit: wrote force gun instead of Contact Beam. Haven't tried the force gun, the Contact Beam is awesome.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just picked this up after work tonight, looking for some opinions on difficulty level. I scare easily and its probably going to be challenge to get through this but I don't want it to be a cake walk. At the same time I don't want to get stuck halfway in the game because I went with Hard. Is Medium where it's at for me or is Easy still a challenge? I've played RE4 for about 30 minutes and was absolutely terrible at it, if that equates to anything in DS land.

I'm assuming you can't change the difficulty on an ongoing game.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've had ammo trouble alot on Hard. And the flamethrower sucks.

Sounds like Normal would be way too easy from the things I hear in here though.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The end section of chapter 6 is... impressive.

I've basically just been upgrading the rig, I upgraded the main cutting tool a little also and that's it. I've got the level 4 suit now, and my first death was hilariously caused by the centrifuge, of all things.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Question. What does "air" do?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    After I put one O2 upgrade into the suit, I poured the rest into my Plasma Cutter and so far it's proved to be a really, really good idea. The Plasma Cutter seems to stand in for your basic pistol in this game (with a very handy alt-fire), and once it's pimped out, it's been my go-to gun for bosses and tougher enemies. The Line gun is excellent for dismembering multiple foes at once (if they're close together/in single file), or cutting the legs out from under a slicer, for example. I also enjoy the force gun's alt-fire, which is essentially an AOE.

I've been keeping the cutter on alt-fire all the time. I always go for the legs, since it's usually harder to hit the arms with regular fire since they keep moving them around.

Honestly, dismemberment is a lot easier in general with alt-fire.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Question. What does "air" do?

It refills your air meter when you're in a vacuum.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I've had ammo trouble alot on Hard. And the flamethrower sucks.

Sounds like Normal would be way too easy from the things I hear in here though.

Wait...is it Easy/Normal/Medium/Hard or Normal/Medium/Hard?

This is probably in the manual, I should stop being so lazy and just open the box.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »
    After I put one O2 upgrade into the suit, I poured the rest into my Plasma Cutter and so far it's proved to be a really, really good idea. The Plasma Cutter seems to stand in for your basic pistol in this game (with a very handy alt-fire), and once it's pimped out, it's been my go-to gun for bosses and tougher enemies. The Line gun is excellent for dismembering multiple foes at once (if they're close together/in single file), or cutting the legs out from under a slicer, for example. I also enjoy the force gun's alt-fire, which is essentially an AOE.

I've been keeping the cutter on alt-fire all the time. I always go for the legs, since it's usually harder to hit the arms with regular fire since they keep moving them around.

Honestly, dismemberment is a lot easier in general with alt-fire.

I've been doing pretty good at shooting off the limbs. If they get too close I just hit them with the statis then curb stomp them to death.

I will say I'm too jittery, all these creaking sounds on the ship make it hard to differentiate the monster from the non-threats. I know it's deliberate but damn it is unnerving.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some people are saying upgrade your armor others are saying upgrade your guns, I'm still at the beginning of the game so I don't know which I should do. Is it even worth upgrading your stasis?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Some people are saying upgrade your armor others are saying upgrade your guns, I'm still at the beginning of the game so I don't know which I should do. Is it even worth upgrading your stasis?

Nah. What you should do is get the cutter damage upgrade. It only takes one node, and the cutter is really your main weapon.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Damn is there any way to take off the elite armor that I unlocked through XBL? I mean it feels cheep going from level 1 suit to max level for nothing. Or do I have to just start again from my last save?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goddamn not clicking on spoilers are sooo hard.

It's a goddamn game of eniminimeinimo for me. D:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Clicking R3 to get pointed to your next objective is such a cool feature. Looks nice, too.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm about 45 minutes into this
    Our shuttle just turned into burning wreckage OH NOES D:

I'm playing on Medium and so far, it's actually a little easier than I thought. The zombies, at least these early starting ones, kind of shamble towards you giving plenty of time to line up shots. I'm sure later on there will be fast moving douchebag ones though. The first one whose legs I shot off was great...I almost kept moving, considering the job don...OH GOD ITS NOT DEAD YET! SHOOT IT AGAIN!

I didn't like Doom 3, but I like this. The atmosphere and interface, or lack thereof, is absolutely perfect. Also, as the game started up I came to the shocking realization that the last FOUR games I've purchased were made by EA. I'm turning into a god damned Communist or something.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I died four times in ten minutes near the end of Chapter 5.
    Damn it, I fell for their ammo wasting traps!

That's more than I had died at all prior to that. And I'm only on medium!

Still, this game is awesome.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The first time I died was the
    centrifuge. I think I died 4 or 5 times.

I didn't notice the alcoves!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How heavy is this on the survival aspect of the survival horror thing?

Are we talking early Resident Evil or System Shock 2?

It looks interesting and like it could be a lot of fun (and I'm going to need something to get me through to Falout 3 before the week is over) but I despise cheap scare tactics an unreasonably large amount. :(

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Judging the first 45 minutes, it's definitely not as cheap in the scare tactic department as Doom 3 was. Even this early in, there were plenty of opportunities for them to throw in something really cheap and the closest they came was a zombie busting out of nowhere after an elevator door opened. But he was like 10 feet away and I plenty of time to shoot him, I suppose if I had walked out immediately it would have been more jolting but I learned that lesson years ago. I walked down several unlit hallways without incident, and at one point all the lights went out but nothing actually happened. There's more tension building than actual BOO MOTHERFUCKER! But yeah, shit will be popping out at you from time to time. I guess your own personal definition of what is a cheap scare and what is not will come into that. Those with more time in the game can probably answer this better.

As someone who has only dabbled in RE but played a ton of System Shock 2, it feel somewhere in between. In a good way.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    waiting till the 20th to play this on PC. hope it's worth it.

Urian on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Too scary, no more playing at night.

Dead Space has made me adopt a Wii-only policy past sundown.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Goddamnit, someone lime this, make it bold, put it in the OP:

Dead Space is much less scary -- none of this "BOO!" shit (at least, not involving monsters, nothing as cheap as DOOM 3) -- the game revolves around making you creeped the fuck out. The entire time.

And it works beautifully. If you like BioShock, RE4 or any over-the-shoulder shooter, you will probably love it. It's worth the 60$ for the atmosphere and visuals alone.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Goddamnit, someone lime this, make it bold, put it in the OP:

Dead Space is much less scary -- none of this "BOO!" shit (at least, not involving monsters, nothing as cheap as DOOM 3) -- the game revolves around making you creeped the fuck out. The entire time.

And it works beautifully. If you like BioShock, RE4 or any over-the-shoulder shooter, you will probably love it. It's worth the 60$ for the atmosphere and visuals alone.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Behemoth: Sometimes he fails.

:P

Oh, also, MAKE THE TEXT BIG SO PEOPLE WILL SEE IT AND NOT ASK THAT GODDAMN QUESTION ANY MORE.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Behemoth: Sometimes he fails.

:P

Oh, also, MAKE THE TEXT BIG SO PEOPLE WILL SEE IT AND NOT ASK THAT GODDAMN QUESTION ANY MORE.

YOU SAW NOTHING

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, Dead Space... I hear it's got those monster closets and shit.

I kid.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Played through the first 2½ chapters....thoroughly impressed and completely creeped out at the same time. While there haven't been too many "gotcha" moments that have made me jump, this game seems masterful at building and maintaining tension almost to the point of exhaustion.

Stop lerking and attack me already you filthy necromorphs! You're playing with my mind!

I was so creeped out after playing for 2-3 hours, I had to go play the Valkyria Chronicles demo just to put my mind at ease again.

Also, Hard mode is hard. I think I've been killed like 5-6 times already and I'm only on Chapter 3. As with most survival horror games I play...I sometimes conserve ammo to a fault *swings his plasma cutter wildly*

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like (and hate) how the game oft plays the "tense violins" music whenever the hell it feels like. Most games, that's your cue that something is about to happen. Dead Space? Just fucking with your head.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Going to buy it for the PC. I buy everything I can for the PC, and only use the consoles for exclusives. I'm just strange that way.

I read the Variety review. I hope that guy doesn't review movies, as he is going to be constantly saying stuff like "Ironman? Yeah, that's just spiderman with a metal suit." I personally play games because they're FUN, not necessarily because they have some new and unique plot.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not sure if this game is very scary but it's definitely grisly.

Slightly spoilery poast:

I'm letting my Xbox cool off a bit, but I'm definitely going back to this tonight. I might even finish it before bed (if I can). It's funny, though, I'm constantly reminded of RE4, with health upgrades bringing your health back to full and such, but visually it reminds me more of DOOM 3 than anything else. There's a few things, like the interior (though, dead space's corridors are far more interesting), and the light on your weapon, especially.

I think I've come to the conclusion that, yes, Eurogamer is full of shit. I do agree though, somewhat, regarding the story. I wouldn't call it cliche in that it borrows too much from The Thing, but that it's very derivative of Bioshock's story: Both games have you communicating with your quest givers remotely, both games present a doctor as an insane protagonist...but if you compare those insane doctors, Bioshock's is interesting and entertaining. Conversely, Dead Space's is very flat and dull. Another thing it seems to borrow from Bioshock is the idea that multiple fetch quests are appropriate for a first person shooter in the year two-thousand and eight, and where Bioshock got away with a lot of shit because of it's message, I expect that these fetch quests are Dead Space's plot in full.

Moving back to what I love about Dead Space, I'm coming away very satisfied after playing, and I want to go back. The combat is solid, and the levels are fun to explore though, I do see what people were talking about with regards to the backtracking; it can be drawn out at times. Still, though, I'm not sure I mind. It's exciting enough that I'm never bored, and on more than one occasion I've lifted my controller up to my chest due to immense tension, and as I played resembled something of a sped..

As I think about it more, maybe it's not the interior, or duct tape that reminds me of DOOM 3, as much as it is the lost potential. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying Dead Space, but Rainbow called it: It's flawed. As much as I'm enjoying this game, I wish it had gone the extra mile in a few areas. Still, though, I'm not sure if I wanted to wait much longer for it, and with the possibility (inevitability?) of a sequel there's a lot of opportunities, especially if EA's interested in hiring proper writers.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you ever just find guns (apart from the Plasma Cutter), or do you have to buy them all in the store?

Iriah on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maybe i'm crazy but from the playthroughs i've seen the strategic dismemberment doesn't seem to be much of anything.

Optional, if you will.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.