As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd totally forgotten, but we're supposed to get details on the fourth content pack today, right?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yorker wrote: »
    I'd totally forgotten, but we're supposed to get details on the fourth content pack today, right?

Yeah, it's up on their website. They announced a couple things today, too.

They're working on a Ultimate box, which'll come out in Feb 09 for everything plus PC, with all the DLC packs on disk.

The Feb 09 release is called the Burnout Paradise Party Pack, which has local pass-the-pad multiplayer for 8 players.

http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=367

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The whole Party thing is weird. It's a solution to offline multiplayer, but as pay content? Hmm.

However:
    EA Announces Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box

Experience the Ultimate Social Driving Game in One Box
    London Games Festival

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Criterion Games, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) studio announced today Burnout™ Paradise The Ultimate Box – a special edition release that includes the award-winning Burnout™ Paradise game plus the previously-released Burnout™ Paradise Cagney and Burnout™ Paradise Bikes content updates, and the brand new Burnout™ Paradise Party content. Burnout Paradise Party is an offline multiplayer mode designed to allow up to eight friends to “pass-the-pad” in dozens of Burnout challenges. For players that already own Burnout Paradise, Burnout Paradise Party will be sold separately as downloadable content.

Burnout Paradise Party brings the social fun of Burnout Paradise into an offline environment where friends can pass the pad to play competitively. There are dozens of quick-fire, turn-based challenges where players compete in different stunt, speed and skill events. In addition to Burnout Paradise Party, Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box will include a host of new features including a restart option added for racing, easier control of the early vehicles, and for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system the new Burnout™ Paradise Network. Burnout Paradise Network is another Burnout Paradise social innovation that enables players to keep track of friends and keep up with all the latest Burnout news from either inside or outside the game.

“Whether you’re an experienced player or a gaming novice, Burnout Paradise is a game that anyone can enjoy,” says Pete Lake, Senior Producer at Criterion Games. “With The Ultimate Box, we aimed to deliver the most fun, high quality and high value experience possible to players both online and in the living room.”

Burnout Paradise Party will be on display and available for free play at EA’s booth during the London Games Festival in Trafalgar Square from Oct 31 – Nov 1, 2008.

Developed at Criterion Games in Guildford, England, Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box is rated E10+ by the ESRB and 7+ for PEGI. Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box will be available in February 2009 on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and marks the debut of the game on PC. For more information about the game, please go to http://www.criteriongames.com or http://info.ea.com.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why do people suck so bad at challenges? Why do they drop in the middle of one, or go the OPPOSITE FUCKING DIRECTION OF THE WAYPOINT?

Also, why can I never find someone willing to play online stunt run, or marked man, or road rage? I mean, seriously. This is fucking absurd. I just want those trophies so I can go back to my real save.
    Those particular trophies don't require it to have been the first time you've played that mode. As long as you grab the other trophies that you can't get (miles driven, First X done, etc.) you're in the clear to go back to your regular save and as soon as you enter an online event you'll get it. Easiest thing do to is actually load up wtih a friend and start the events then cancel them immediately.

JAEF on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    WHAT

A RESTART OPTION

FUCK YES FINALLY

Renzo on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God dammit I was just at the LGF. If I'd have known that I'd have stayed an extra few days.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh.

I would hate a restart option in this. Half the fun of the game is that when I pass (or fail) a race or event, I'll be taken off course by "Ooh billboards" or "Ooh Smash barriers."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, um. It's an option. You don't have to use it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    hey wonderboy i can be ready to go in like 30 mins

Renzo on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, here are the online trophies for Burnout:

Complete 10 Timed Challenges
    Complete 10 Freeburn Challenges
    Complete your first Timed Challenge
    Invite a friend to join you in Paradise City
    Complete a Freeburn Challenge
    Jump over another Player's Car
    8 Players meet in the Wildcats' Baseball Stadium
    Send a Mugshot or Smugshot
    Take part in an Online Stunt Run
    Take part in an Online Marked Man
    Be on the Blue team for Online Road Rage
    Be on the Red team for Online Road Rage
    Ride 10 miles on a bike in an 8 player lobby
    Complete 5 Bike Challenges

One day this week I'd like to get an online game going (hopefully with other PA forumers) to try to get these trophies. I'd like to get back to my original save, and these online trophies are the hold-up. I can be online pretty much any time after 9:00pm Central Time (kid goes to bed then). If anyone's up for some trophy whoring, let's try to organize something here.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bficky wrote: »
    These are the only ones that you can't get at any time. If you finish these you can get back to your regular save.

JAEF on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    bficky wrote: »
    These are the only ones that you can't get at any time. If you finish these you can get back to your regular save.

Really?? That's good. I'll do those first and then switch back. I figured that since my original save was created before the trophy patch, getting any trophies on that save was impossible. Good to know.

Edit: So is this just for the online trophies? On my original save I've done 1, maybe 2 bike challenges. Can I do all the bike trophies on my original save as well or do I have to do those on the trophy save?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    !!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://kotaku.com/5079670/burnout-paradise-goes-back-to-the-future
    Kotaku wrote:
    Criterion continues to deliver the Burnout Paradise goodness, this time with a preview of a very special vehicle coming next year as part of their new Legendary Cars series. The Jansen 88 Special is modeled after the Jansen P12, but it's received a few modifications. Once you fill up the boost gauge, trigger it and the car leaves a trail of dual flames behind it, much like a certain modified DeLorean DMC-12 does when you reach 88 miles per hour in it.

backtofuture.jpg

Sweet, but that's not all. Hit the jump to see what happens when you hit the L3 button.

hovercar.jpg

That's right. This motherfucker hovers.

I have no words.

freakish light on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JIGGA-WHAT?!?!?!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Motherfucker

That is awesome.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That may be the one of the greatest things ever in a video game.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh man... Ohh man... I am going to buy that so hard.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is there any more information on the other 3 cars?

Jives on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just the names - Cavalry Bootlegger, Manhattan Spirit and the GT Nighthawk. They'll be updated in the weeks to come. I'm guessing the Bootlegger is going to be the General Lee, but other than that it's anybody's guess.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Awwwwwwwwww shit!
    That is how you do DLC. I was all "meh, I don't need another car" then after reading the entire article was all "But I do need a car that hovers!"

Hey Criterion! Have my money!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Just the names - Cavalry Bootlegger, Manhattan Spirit and the GT Nighthawk. They'll be updated in the weeks to come. I'm guessing the Bootlegger is going to be the General Lee, but other than that it's anybody's guess.

People are guessing that the Manhattan Spirit is the car from ghostbusters (don't know the exact name haven't seen it) and the GT Nighthawk is KITT from Knight Rider.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So this is a pretty kick ass way to do a demo for the PC version.
    Criterion explains that the demo will limit "just how much you can do and for how long," but gamers will still be able to go anywhere inside the racing title's virtual world:

In Burnout Paradise, you're free to explore a massive city, loaded with fun things to do and places to go. Pull up at any of the 120 junctions to start one of 5 event types – Burning Route, Marked Man, Stunt Run, Race and Road Rage. See if you can find the beach, quarry, dirt track and airfield playgrounds spread through our five boroughs. The city also morphs seamlessly into an online world anytime you want to hook up with your friends and cruise around beating challenges.

And rather than having to walk down to the store to grab the full version, players will be able to "upgrade" via a "trial store within the game."

Shareware is pretty great.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Haha it is basically shareware, isn't it? Man, I can't believe EA are giving them so much leeway with everything they do.

The OP of this needs a revamp at some point soon, I think. It's far too big and has loads of old information and not enough new. Once we get concrete details on the Party Pack, maybe.

Willeth on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a pretty obvious reaction to what's been going on with SecuRom over the past few months. This will work with a game like BP because Criterion has already shown they're all about supporting the game with free content.

Pirates won't be able to access the new stuff so there is plenty of incentive to buy the game rather than just steal it.

Also apparently they're going to do it old school and print up a bunch of disks for people to pass around.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    More PA people need to play this game, it's so fun when you can get some MP going with people that aren't blubbering retards.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Hurm, add me so we can get something going. (on PSN, that is)

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If you want to play on the 360, add yourself to Burnout PA and I'll accept the requests when I'm back at my box. You know how that works. As for PSN, add me (Willeth) and attach a message that says it's for Burnout, and I'll add you to the list in the OP, which needs updating as soon as I get the chance.

Willeth on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm so buying this for PC. Man, I played it at a friend's, and it was the greatest racing game I've ever played.

That, and uh a DeLorean knockoff that hovers? fukken sold

Senshi on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Any news on when the legendary cars are coming? I could care less about the party pack but holy shit that looks amazing.

Why can't there be more timed freeburn challenges? :( My friend and I did them first not even knowing there were regular challenges. It's not nearly entertaining when you aren't racing the clock to try and barrel roll through a giant ring. I think that one nearly cost us our friendship though.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Did you realise that there are different challenges for different numbers of people?

Willeth on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I did. I also came to the conclusion that trying to get people to do them and not just fuck around is like getting cats in a bag. Getting one person's co-operation is the most I could ever hope for, and even then it was tough at times.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's changed drastically since I played last, then. I never had any trouble starting up a freeburn and jumping into challenges from the get-go.

Willeth on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would be up for playing some Burnout later. My Live gamertag is torfu.

tofu on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played like last week

and doing challenges wasn't a big issue with most people.

Senshi on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hell, whenever I play, people tend to do more challenges then races/events.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I dont think I've had a multiplayer race yet. Only challenges, and Only a few at that.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    really i dont care about any of the DLC until the new island comes out. that should be so amazingly awesome.

i'll still buy the BTTF car though, depending on how much it is.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to be buying the cars for sure. I might even buy the Party Pack if it gets released at the right time - I'm having a gaming party at the end of January.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    depending on what is actually in the party pack and the price i'll probably buy it anyway, just to show support for criterion being awesome. but it doesnt look particularly mind blowing to me quite yet.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just bought this and I have no friends, who will be my friend?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."