As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - IC] zephyr : "[Game Activity Related Tagline Here]"

• Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Hmm... Yes, I believe I will." With that Brottor follows the Voice through the ship. This had better not be a waste of my time.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Eyeing the collapsing buildings nervously, Quinn nevertheless agrees with Mariposa. "We've got no choice. Everyone, hurry through as quickly as possible!"

As they rush through the gap, Quinn keeps an eye out for any possible weaknesses or fractures. He had been weakened by the earlier explosion, but he hoped that he could at least hold up a collapsing wall long enough for everyone to escape.

Quinn whispers a silent prayer to the Raven Queen, and feels a sudden burst of energy pour through him. He knew he would need it for the trek ahead.

Jebu on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quickly slipping the cube into one of his pouches, Keegan turns toward the door. "You heard it too! You see? I was telling the truth." He takes a few steps toward the door, making sure that everyone's attention was on the Voice and not him. "Wait, there!" He points at a dark corner of Maestro's den as he slowly inches closer to the exit. "I heard it there!"

Denada on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Foehn, Knight's HQ - Medical Ward
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Escape to the Gate Chamber.
    Primary Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Heal (Wis), Perception (Wis)
    Progress: Successes 3 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    * Perception - Success - Seeking out other Ward survivors.
    * Heal - Success - Aiding Ward survivor (2 of 2)
    * Basic Attack - Success - Clearing out a path.
    * Perception - Success - Leading the way.
    * Perception - Success - Navigating the area.

You move through the gap of the wrecked airship, burnt-out buildings and crater with ease. As you do so, you mark the safe spots to step along the way. Mariposa and the cleric trail behind, in the event that injured fall.

"Wait Quinn, what's that down there?" It's the first cleric whom you'd helped. He notices a strange pulsing glow coming from the crater to the left.

"We don't have time for this, Monroe!" Mariposa was right. Even though the din of explosions had quieted in this area, the danger was far from over. The ground was still trembling and the air was hot from the blaze. You also felt a strange tingling sensation that was steadly increasing. (Roll Arcana, passive failure)

But despite this Monroe carefully slides his way down the crater. Mariposa looks like she's about to follow, but doesn't. "Monroe! Get up here..."

Even with flames were confined to the buildings above it had to be an oven down there.

"It's... corestone! The way it's reacting... those stars..."

Another far stronger tremor occurs, knocking debris from the buildings into the crater.

"By Pelor's light... no!" Monroe starts to panic as he tries to scramble his way up the crater's ledge.

Ewan Stark
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - Military Cordon
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    Your search for Reuben led to a somewhat disappointing result. It seems that the man had gone missing in action. No doubt, like the many others that were missing in action from the Retribution Day debacle he was killed in action.

In the six days that you've spent in a sectioned off area of the Citadel, you found out a lot of things. Not much of it was good. Both scout divisions, a division of knights, and nearly the entire Armada division had went to assault the Merkaban. You weren't privy to the actual losses, but estimates said over half the forces had been wiped out. Morale was low, and there was no signs of any real counterattack taking place anytime soon.

Knights were coming and going though, and one of the first movements that occured was one that took Iam and several other scouts and put them on a security detail on another island. Transportation to and from the Citadel was really only possible due to the gate chamber aboard the Conquerer. Most of the ships that were capable of fighting or moving were cleared out or moved to another location to be scrapped.

You weren't sure why you hadn't been reassigned yet, but there were rumours circulating that some kind of counterattack was in the works. But the atmosphere suggested otherwise. You're currently alone in a tent within the cordon. The Knights that had been with you here were already moved out.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Mari, get everyone out of here now!" Not waiting to see if she follows his command, Quinn charges towards the crater's edge and ducks down, stretching out his arm. "Monroe, grab my hand!"

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Foehn, Knight's HQ - Medical Ward
    Skill Challenge
    Progress: Successes 3 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    * Athletics - Success - Rescue Monroe.

As you rush to save the Monroe everyone else heads towards the destination. The pain you should be feeling as you run is soothed only by your adrenaline. If you get out of this alive, you'd certainly be feeling this later. Even through your armor you can feel the heat of the street when you reach to pull Monroe up.

The gods must be with you, as you barely succeed in doing so. The crater is glowing brighter than before, and the rumbling has steadily increased. The patches of Monroe's face that aren't covered with ash are bone white.

"it's... going to..."

You have no time to listen to him confirm what your gut already tells you. Back in the up the street towards the ward, the ground appears to be splitting. It's almost as though a glowing snake was approaching. You need to move, and fast. (I'd suggest your next roll involve the Athletics skill and moving towards that chamber. :U)

Brottor Ungart, Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    "Do you take me for a fool, Keegan?" Maestro looks at Keegan with an incredulous expression. (Rolled an 18 on his insight, unfortunately.)

«He's over here.» Reita didn't fall for the trick either, moving to block your path as Leftina is prompted to face the proper direction. When she turns to face you, her expression is a mixture of anger and embarrassment.

The Maestro rises and looks down at his couch. "The key, Keegan."

Leftina takes a step towards the Halfing...

Meanwhile, Brottor and The Voice have left the Conquerer. The two moved through the corridors of the ship in silence leaving Naro behind. She seemed hurried, and there was a small two-person craft waiting the moment they stepped off the boarding disc. The Caretaker that stood beside it looked surprised when she ushered Brottor on board and left him behind. It moved on its own once the two of them boarded. The craft shot up rapidly, and left the circle of airships. The thing was faster than the any airships you'd previously been on. Refugee tents whisked past below. The craft was heading back to the area where the refugees with small airships had parked themselves.

"Sveta." She barks out a name rather suddenly, then pauses. "That's my name. It's far less imposing than calling me 'The Voice', wouldn't you agree?"

...joining her fellow guard in their attempt to box Keegan in.

"Why would you do it? After all, I always figured our partnership was... Honorable. If we thieves don't have our honor, then what do we have?" Once again, he beckons Keegan towards him.

"You're a valuable asset to me, Nightbird... let's sit and discuss this. Like gentlemen."

How many gentlemen walked around with two armed guards?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Keegan sighs. "I didn't want to do this, Maestro. I really didn't. I'm a professional. Our business was done and I was happy to go on my way."

He rubs his eyes, moving slowly so as not to alarm the guards. "But when I heard the Voice ... it was relentless, Maestro! It wouldn't stop. This was the only thing I could think to do."

He tries his best to look desperate, which isn't hard. "And then you heard it too. I thought it was coming after you now. You saw the things in that Collection. Who knows what could be after us!"
    Don't know if I need this, but I'll put it in.
    Diplomacy check, but he is being pretty genuine. (1d20+4=8)

Denada on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ewan walks out of the tent, not really sure what he was doing there in the first place.

6 days of sitting around wasn't doing anything for his sanity. Iam had been reassigned, and even Lisette had a new role in this new world. Ewan couldn't take much more of this. He went to find his CO. Something needed to happen.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn looks at the yawning cracks in the ground with horror, then roughly drags Monroe forward. "Run!" he yells as he begins to sprint towards the gate, his lungs burning and every part of his body feeling sore.

Jebu on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lothril squints, making out the blue star.

"That star is coming right for us! What should we do sir?"

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Mmm.. yes, Sveta. I am sorry for the unpleasantness back there... events have... been difficult." Brottor sits on the ship watching the tents fly by, not really ready to discuss the specifics of those events.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Foehn, Knight's HQ
    Skill Challenge
    Progress: Successes 3 of ?, Failures 1 of 3
    * Athletics - Failure - Escaping to the Gate Chamber...

If the head cleric of the ward were around, he'd be telling you that you're pushing your body way too hard. You didn't need him to tell you that though. Each step you took hurt more and more. The heat was intense, and the shaking made keeping your balance that much more difficult...

Hobbling through the alley, you notice up ahead that the land around the Gate chamber appeared to be rising or the land you were on was falling. Either way you needed to move. You'd come too far to die here.

(The narrative situation kind of removes Heal and Perception from really being viable checks to make at this point. Flat out, their DCs are higher. However, you only need one more success to clear the challenge. To save cycles, for whatever skill you decide to use now, roll 3 times. In theory you will get 1 success before consuming your last 2 failures. ;p)

Lothril Issrin
    Zephyr, ?? - Wonderbird
    Wesley doesn't respond to you directly, but immediately begins to cast a spell.

"There's nothing you can do to stop this. Just accept it." The Spy speaks over his words. "There was no way that they'd let you take me back alive."

One of the guards grabs him and tosses him to the ground. "Shut the hell up!"

(I need you to do two things prz... First, roll your Arcane if you want to help out Wesley, beat a DC 10. If you do, add +2 to the next set of rolls. You don't have to reroll this for each check.

Roll Wesley's Arcane. It's 1d20+26 (or 28 if you got over 10 with that first roll)... do that with the number of rolls set to 7. If you want to do something as you assist, you may post here. Otherwise, post a link to the results of those rolls and I'll just put the outcome of his spellcast in the next update cycle.

Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - The Broken Wing
    "Keegan... why do you insist upon insulting my intelig--" Maestro stops in midsentence as a vase by the exit crashes to the ground. Slowly, a small humanoid figure fades in. Its posture suggested it was male, and its inky black eyes hinted at fey origin. The dark silver kaftan is a dead giveaway as to what really mattered about him; he was a caretaker.

"Star stealer." he points a clawed hand directly at Keegan. The claws seem to extend and retract briefly.

Maestro's next words defied all logic. "Kill him." The twins started to move...

"It's fine. I can't event pretend to understand what you've gone through down there." Sveta replies.

The vehicle makes good time, and lands just in front of another airship. It was larger than Naro's yacht, but it looked worn and rickety. The way that it sits in the shadow of two larger airships gives it a seedy appearance. The hullshowed other signs of damage that could have come from escaping Foehn as well. The boarding ramp was down, but it looked about as inviting as a cave full of dire bears.

"Before we enter, perhaps I should explain what we were looking for to you." Sveta slips off the craft. "The Knights will no doubt send soldiers. But we felt it best to have somebody of a sneaky variety as well. Don't worry, he's been tested. He's good enough." She starts to walk towards up the ramp as Brottor follows. (Assuming you would follow to save us a post cycle of saying you would follow her in... :P)

It was never a fair fight, if you could even consider what happened just now to be a fight. Leftina lay unconscious, her nose bleeding profusely. Reita was calling out to her friend. (Her name isn't Leftina, but it's not important enough to have her call out her name either. ;p) She reaches out frantically towards her but she was pinned to the wall from a rapier, Leftina's rapier. Keegan's best guess was that the blade was a good 2 feet into the wall.

The Caretaker grabbed Maestro by his custom tailored shirt, and then casually throttled him into the pedestal where he originally stood only seconds ago. He takes a single step towards you. Star stealer, star stealer. His words voice ring Keegan's head. This was going to hurt. A lot.

"Miek!" a woman's voice interrupts him. Keegan wasn't sure who she was, but judging from her attire and the fact that he stopped his rampage, she was probably of some import. Coming in just behind her was a dwarf.

The two Caretakers appear to engage in some form of unspoken conversation. A second later the woman, Sveta, speaks again. "The Hierarch will be made aware of this... act. Leave." In the same manner that he appeared the creature vanishes. Another pause ensues, perhaps to allow him to make his exit.

"Brottor. This is Kegan Leeroh... also known as Nightbird." Plucky heroes indeed. (Yes, she probably has a lot of explaining to do.)

Ewan Stark
    You step out of the tent and take to wandering. The Knights all around you seemed to have a task to do, or were resting between tasks. Given your contribution during Retribution day you should have been back out there on the lines, doing your thing.

There was still no clear idea on what weapon the Merkbans used. Some people said they just shot the Black Knights at you and had them explode. Other more radical ideas said they were large magic missiles or something. The lack of answers and communication was frustrating.

"Well well, don't you look like a lost little child." Behind you there was a voice you were hoping to not hear again. Raoul.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ewan locks his face into a smile. "Hello, guildmage." Ewan had loved that moniker ever since he had heard it a week ago. Ewan managed to put a little condescension behind it. Not too much, just enough. "Thought I'd take a little stroll. Not all of us can summon cushy chairs whenever we get tired of standing." Another smirk.

"How can I be of assistance?"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Keegan stares at the guards, then at Maestro, then at the girl and the dwarf, then at Maestro again, then at Smokey, then back to the guards, then at the exit, then back to the girl. His thoughts started to catch up with everything that had just happened.

He recognized the girl. He was certain her presence couldn't mean anything good, but at least he could be reasonably sure he wasn't going to die now. He'd seen her work Admiral Vaughn earlier, so he knew better than to try to deceive her.

"Well," he says to Sveta, giving her his best Nightbird Grinâ„¢, "You certainly know how to make an entrance."

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There was no choice left. Despite the burning agony coursing throughout his body, Quinn stands and hurtles himself up the shaking, broken ground, desperately trying to reach the gate.
    Here goes nothing:
    Athletics Check to escape to the gate (1d20 4=13, 1d20 4=11, 1d20 4=10)

Something tells me I may have just died.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Brottor looks around the room, clearly confused about the situation. Well... it looks like some sort of... altercation has taken place. I would feel much better if I had brought my halberd... Since it seemed like any violence was not going to occur with Sveta here, Brottor walks up to the halfling extending his hand "Brottor Ungart, I hear you are the first of our little group?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Keegan extends his hand and smiles, gladly ignoring Maestro and his guards. "Keegan Lyriao. Pleasure to meet you Brottor." He turns to Sveta, but in a way that doesn't exclude Brottor from the conversation. "So what kind of team includes a lowborne soldier and a highborne philanthropist? And who says I'm joining a team?"

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Foehn, Knight's HQ
    Skill Challenge Cleared! (+125 XP)
    Progress: Successes 4 of 4, Failures 1 of 3
    * Athletics - Failure - Escaping to the Gate Chamber...
    * Athletics - Success - Scaling a step. ;p

By the time you finally make your way to the Gate Chamber area its lifted a few feet above you. You grab a hold of a jagged chunk of rock along with Monroe, and begin to pull yourself up. The sound of Foehn slowly ripping itself apart drowns out the explosions. You can feel the magical energies being released dance up your spine. It was all the oomph you needed to pull yourself up and on top. Monroe makes it as well, and from the way he's huffing and puffing it seems that he had about as much trouble as you did without a bad leg.

The feeling hasn't gone away though, and it's only getting worse. Your body feels heavier from the exposure, but you press on, merely inches from safety. The Raven Queen's blessing still shines upon you. You're about to collapse to the ground as the chamber doors closes behind you. The tingling sensation fades away rapidly, as the risk of exposure wanes. (Massive exposure to raw magical energy usually turns you into a crystallized form of it, in this 'verse.)

Everybody is waiting anxiously as the operator scribes in random sigil sequences, trying to find one that hadn't been sealed. When the room glows with as the gate is activated, there is a vision of a grassy field. For as far as you could see through it, there were no signs of flaming buildings or any other hazards...

(Add +15 XP for doing the following: Rescuing Others (Excluding Mariposa). We'll be bumping you to "Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6" once you step through the gate, unless you have any actions you'd like to take prior towards stepping through. If you don't, please say so in the OOC. :P)

Lothril Issrin
    Zephyr, Foehn - Downtown
    "Hmm. Still alive? You fared a lot better than everybody else." It was the Spy.

You began to put together what had happened. Whatever Wesley cast worked with your help, you were alive and safe on the ground. The last thing you recalled was a blinding flash of light. You tried to move your legs, but they wouldn't budge. The remains of one of the Wonderbird's leather couches had you pinned down.

"I told him I'd kill him." Craning your head up, you notice the Spy pulling a spear out of someone's body. He makes his way over to you.

As Keegan talks, Sveta walks over to Reita. Having seen what the Caretakers are capable of, she understandably freaks out. There's not much she can do to stop Sveta from grabbing her free arm to stop her from flailing when she reaches behind her. There's a loud metallic snap afterwards, and Reita falls to the ground. She crawls towards her partner with the Rapier hilt and sword still embedded in her shoulder. The rest of the blade juts out of the wall.

"Well." Sveta looks over at Keegan. "Thousands of years ago, theft was unheard of on the Alabaster Citadel. Wonder why? The punishment was simple enough." She's able to keep a somewhat even pace as she speaks. "They tossed them overboard."

Sveta's kaftan and hands have Reita's blood on them. She shakes one of her hands rather indifferently, droplets flying about. "Fortunately for you and your friends, this was a test." She smiles down at Keegan, perhaps some parts of the task had been a little too easy.

"If only I had gotten here sooner. But first," She holds out a hand towards Keegan. She had the same claws as the other. "the key."

Ewan Stark
    "Well. I've been sent to retrieve you." If Raoul took your bait he doesn't show it. "You know, mudfoot... I was actually impressed with what you did back then. I even put in a good word for you."

He starts to walk towards the Conquerer, and gestures for you to follow. Who could Raoul possibly know that would get you called up there?

"I hope your skills aren't just limited to delivering those fancy little speeches." he sighs. "Otherwise..."

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "A good word with whom?" Ewan falls into step with Raoul, even as he bites back a particularly insatiable desire to tell him that there's a few things he does better than give fancy speeches.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Keegan goes a little pale listening to her talk about punishments and his "fortunate friends".

"Key? Oh, right, the key." He takes the cube out and holds it in his hand. "The lock you had on this wasn't half bad, you know." He tosses the cube to Sveta. "But Tamerlaine should really think about redecorating, if you ask me. Those Black ... those things are creepy." Something about the Black Knights still didn't feel right. As if mentioning them by name might make them appear.

"So listen, um, since you've got that thing back and all, we can just pretend this never happened, right? No one's going to be shouting in my head or stabbing me with rapiers or anything?"

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ewan Stark
    "Patience." Raoul snaps at you. He didn't understand that you'd been waiting all this time, or he didn't care.

Testy as he was, you'd have to endure his company, at least until he got you to where you needed to be. It's a short walk from your tent to the Conquerer, which now looms above you. Seeing it in such good condition despite the massive damage to the other ships was infuriating. Those Merkabans bastards made a mockery of it, and they even destroyed the home base of the Knights. Hopefully, wherever Raoul was taking you would put you back on the front lines again.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "What did you say? Those black things, the Devastators, did you say you saw them? In Lady Tamerlain's palace?" Wheeling on Sveta "What is Lady Tamerlain doing employing those... those things?! You seek me out to take part in some mission to eliminate these things and now I come to find you employ the same damned creatures? "

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Keegan looks from Brottor to Sveta, scratching the back of his head. "Well this is awkward."

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Savory, Oaken - Farmer's Cabin.
    Oaken wasn't located too far away from Foehn, and the islands shared similar weather. It was mostly farmland, long fields of wheat slowly swaying in the wind. If not for the atmosphere, it could have been a relaxing place to stay. With your arrival and others, word of what happened to Foehn and the Armada spread quickly, along with fear. Wild ideas as to how the Merkabans did it were passed around. But with this bad news there had come hope.

The Alabaster Citadel had returned! With the presence of a goddess, the Merkabans would be brought to a justice that no mortal could accomplish. Yes, hope had come. With a simple goodbye Mariposa had disappeared, along with several other Clerics of Tamerlaine. Popular opinion was that they had been called to the Citadel. You didn't have time to dwell on it, as duty forced you to aid the various survivors and refugees that found their way here.

Days later a small group of Knights appeared to assure the civilians that both the Assembly and Knights had survived, and that order would be restored. They stated that they were in the Alabaster Citadel, consulting with the Lady herself in order to assure the Merkabans paid. (PI:S) You were able to tell they weren't speaking the whole truth. They took a count of Knights present and posted more Knights. There was even mention of open conscription. If she was really there, such things shouldn't have been necessary.

The truth was obviously doled out on a need to know basis, and you were well out of the loop. Or so you thought. Today in the little cabin where you were a guest, Andrei Vaughn sat across from you on a rickety chair. He had come to see you personally. Hopefully this would end on a positive note.

"You and me are very much alike, Quinn." he stares at you from his seat. There's a small mug of juice on the table. Across the room the family's mother looks at the two of you nervously, before taking her leave. "You want to know why?"

Sveta doesn't say anything for a while, making it all the more awkard. When she finally speaks, there's an edge of impatience in her voice.

"The Devastators that our little thief here mentioned are older than you Brottor. They're even older than the current Hieharch." Seeing that the comparison to somebody the two of them had never heard of and would probably never even see was somewhat moot, she adds. "Even if they were functional models, who are you to question the contents of Lady Tamerlaine's home?" Perhaps it wasn't impatience, but indignation? She turns her attention towards Keegan.

"He shouldn't have used commune on you. For that we apologize. It is good to see that you you're not damaged. We have a task for you. We would like for you to aid your brethren in stopping the Merkaban war machine."

Ewan Stark
    "Oh my. We made it here without anymore quips." Raoul says to you after you've gone up the boarding disc and into the bowels of the Conquerer. You've been lead to a small briefing room inside the ship. At the head of the table here you recognize immediately Els Aveli. Despite her retirement and recent birth, she looks to be in surprisingly good shape. She's wearing the same ensemble as the other officer Knights. This wasn't the best situation to come out of retirement.

Looking eagerly towards you is another Scout from the other brigade, Eisajor Misaca. His Fodric accent almost makes what his greeting almost unintelligible. But for what it was worth, you'd heard he did some pretty admirable stuff saving lives in the thick of things during Retribution Day. Looks like your next mission is going to be to get paraded around for heroism. The Highborne needed heroes, that was for sure.

"Els dear, you look splendid. I've brought my talkative little friend here, as I said, he was extraordinary." Raoul's praise; good or bad?

"I remember this one. Rueben said..." she stops. "Knight, I'm Acting [Leadership of Division Rank Here (rank names are pending)] Els Aveli. Now that you're here, we're going to get straight to business. The Caretakers have suggested a course of action to resolve our Merkaban problem, and the Admiral and Assembly have decided to oblige them." She makes no mention of Lady Tamerlaine at all.

"We've chosen a representative for the Mage's guild already. He was favored by our master. We expect he'll do well. We'd send someone more experienced but we're shorthanded... and tensions between the Lower Guild are already high as it is, but that's our problem, not yours." Raoul adds.

"It's a strictly voluntary affair." Els adds. Sounds like it was shaping up to be a suicide mission.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn eyes the mother's exit with some anxiousness. Why had Andrei come to see him? "If you wish to tell me, sir. Though I think you do me too much honor." He feels a twinge of pain in his leg and stretches it out underneath the table, keeping his face calm and composed.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "I'm sure it is, my lady. Am I to be briefed on this 'affair,' or do you want an answer now?"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Stopping the Merkabans..." He looks at nothing, lapsing into a rare moment of seriousness. "They've taken a lot from us. Too much." As much as he loved wealth, he loved life even more. A lot of people had died. A lot more probably would.

He could pay back the Merkabans for what they stole from him. He could return home a hero, adored by thousands. He could already taste the extravagant banquets held in his honor in the newly-built and even more lavish than before mansions of Highborne nobles. People would be falling over themselves to have him in their homes. There would probably be a Keegan Lyriao Day.

He looks at Brottor, grins, then looks at Sveta. "I'll do it. And you don't even have to pay me."

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Brottor manages to hold in the rage he was feeling, Every time I start to trust these... Caretakers... they reveal something else. I don't know how much I can trust them, they do seem to genuinely want the Merkaban force stopped... but I don't know if that is their ultimate goal. Well... I may not trust them but I don't seem to have a choice in the matter.

Closing his eyes, Brottor begins reciting a prayer to himself, trying to calm himself before another outburst takes place.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    "Well, Quinn. Though your loss is my own, we've both experienced it. To have one's men ravaged, be powerless to stop it..." Andrei takes a breath. "yet, soldier on."

He takes a sip from the cup, and puts it down. "It's that strength that I require. I have an assignment for you. As you know, the Alabaster Citadel has returned."

He lowers his voice, as if anybody would think of risking their life eavesdropping on him. "The Lady. Is not there. There will be no counsel held, no goddess to bail us out."

"What we do have there are the Caretakers, as they call themselves. They've offered a means of eliminating the Wonders that the Merkaban have used on us... Without their toys, the Merkabans will fall. You are to lead this mission."

"How pleasant to hear. For now, you're both free to go. When the time comes that we will move, you will be summoned."

Looking over at Maestro and company, she says to Keegan. "We will see to the wounds of your friends personally."

Ewan Stark
    "The Caretakers have kept much of the plan to themselves. The only one who knows the full extent of it on our end is the Admiral. He's gone off to retrieve a man who he feels is perfect for the job. A Knight by the name of Quinn Staci." Els says.

You think that Eisajor said he'd met that guy before, and that he was a "ghoul". "Ghoul" was the nickname for soldiers that were considered to be the strongest of their units by the Black Knights. The ones they crippled the least and last, so that they could demoralize others.

"Well that's a pleasant description of them. Mind not talking anymore?" Raoul looks agitated.

"I suspect that Andrei will be returning soon. Your answer, please."

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ewan looks at Raoul, and then back to Els. He allows a very brief smile before proceeding. "My Lady, The Knights conscripted me into service before I was of age. Since then, I have stayed at the luxury of those who gave me orders. If you wanted, you could have ordered me onto this mission. Since you are asking for volunteers, I must assume that this is either a covert operation, or a suicide mission." A brief pause while Ewan looks over Els' face.
    Passive perception for a reaction to my comment: 17
    "Either way, I have promises to keep, and a nation to protect. You need my eyes, I need your purpose. I will contribute to this operation in any way I can. Provided that one favor can be afforded me. My parents. I need to know what has become of them, and if they live, I would request they be granted accommodations in the Citadel, and their needs attended to."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sorrow passes over Quinn's face. "She is not coming back," he whispers, then furrows his brow and looks Andrei in the eye. "I am honored by your trust, but the last men I led into combat died because I was too foolhardy to recognize a trap. I don't think I could stand to have that happen again..."

The weight of the emblem around his neck suddenly seems much heavier, and Quinn feels tired and defeated. "I want to help; I truly do. I just don't know if I can trust my own instincts anymore."

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    "All of us were foolhardy, Quinn, including the Lord of Thunder himself." The Admiral's admission of error was terse, but true. The Highborne of the Zephyr Coalition never took the Merkaban threat seriously. They were only Lowborne, after all.

"We're still Knights and it won't happen again, because you won't allow it to. Unless I've misread the report given to me earlier, it was your instincts that got you to safety from Foehn, right? Anyway..." He takes another sip. "I wasn't asking you to go." It was an order.

Ewan Stark
    (Passive perception can't be actively stated, btw. :P)

Els' expression seems to be one of concern or worry. This may have something to do with the status of her husband, and their child's potential future without him.

"I don't know of you've noticed Ewan, but the Caretakers haven't exactly opened up their home to us..." Raoul shakes his head. "Even if they were alive, I doubt they would be allowed to come up here."

"Raoul..." Els looks less than happy at his lack of tact. "I understand your desire to see to your family, Ewan. And if it will make you feel ok, I'll send someone to check on them. However, he is right, the only thing we could provide them with up here are tents and a mat to sleep on."

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ewan pauses. Mom and Dad. After a long while...

"I'll take what I can get, my lady. Find them, and do what you can. In regards to your request, I'm your man. Where do I start?"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Well Brottor," Keegan says, offering his hand again, "I guess that's it then." He heads for the exit, placing Maestro's payment on a table on his way out. He turns back to Brottor and smiles. "I need a drink or three. You look like you could use one too. I'll be at [wherever people go to drink] if you feel like talking."

Keegan exits, muttering to himself as he walks out. "We'll need a name ... maybe Strike Force. No, Justice Squad! Hmm..."

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn stiffens at Andrei's remarks. "Of course, my lord. I only thought to tell you honestly how I felt about that order." His hand grips his emblem tightly. "Regardless, a chance to strike back against our enemies is one I cannot in good conscience refuse."

"How will these- Caretakers you called them? How will they help us eliminate those Merkaban horrors? And who am I leading on this mission? More knights?"

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    "There isn't much time, but it's only right that I explain to you what I can, Stasi. The Caretakers are a group of people left behind to tend to the Alabaster Citadel in the Lady's absence. They are not normal, by any means." He shifts in his chair uncomfortably.

"They moved the Citadel to protect us from the red stars. They've always been around, but separated from our societies. They only time they have interacted with Highborne or Lowborne is to repair Wonders, and to train a select few on how to maintain them. This is a deeply kept secret, however. I've told you because you must know who you are dealing with. The Caretakers will not directly involve themselves in this no more than they have and only offer a strategy to disable the Merkaban's wonders.

With the Citadel's visible defense, the Merkabans have been thrown into confusion. This is where you and your team will come in. You'll be operating from the surface, attacking key points relating to their functionality. The Caretakers refused to accept our offer of using only knights, and I'm certain no Caretaker will partake in the action." Andrei seems to be observing your response to this.

"Once the Merkabans realize that the Lady is not present, they will no doubt use the Red Stars at that scale again. I suspect she will explain more to you when the time comes. For now, we must return to the Citadel."

(So long as you don't ask like 50 questions you can talk/ask him stuff. Otherwise just OOC or IC that you're good to go.)

Ewan Stark
    "I'll see if I can get someone assigned to seeking your family, Ewan. I'm assuming we'll be starting once the Admiral returns with his 'ghoul'." Els looks over at Eisajor as she says this. It's very clear that she did not find the term to be appropriate.

"We're also going to need to grab our mage." Raoul notes..

Eisajor says something about wanting to get started soon as well. (I don't know if you've seen the Usual Suspects, but Eisajor sounds like Fenster. Still undecided on if I want to type dialect like that. "Yannowhaahmtalkinahbout. Whathafuhk")

"The Knights aren't running this show alone. I'm not sure what the caretakers are up to, or how long it will take for them to finish their preparations either. In the meantime, you're dismissed. Do not discuss anything about this mission to anyone, please." Els motions you towards the door.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Brottor leaves the building and begins to head back to his quarters, but pauses Sigh, hes right, I could use a drink. Turning around, Brottor walks off in the direction Keegan went. I might as well start getting to know this guy if Im supposed to trust my life to him...

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "Of course, my lady. Thank you." Ewan turns on his heel and walks straight out the door. So many questions bounced around inside his head. Why me? Why this now? What exactly were they going to do? Ewan needed answers, but more importantly, he needed a drink. Ewan flagged down a caretaker.

"Where can I get a drink?"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - The Alabaster Alehouse
    Keegan walks off mumbling names to himself as Brottor follows along. A few knights and a Caretaker enter The Broken Wing, no doubt to clean things up there. The two of you head towards one of the larger tents in the central area of the Refugee area. There are various small shops and temples here, and a mixture of refugees from all over.

Despite all that had happened commerce and trade still went on even here, perhaps a sign that the disheartened refugees were coping with their situation a lot better than one would think. A few tents later and you're (both of you) at the base of one of the larger tents. Words emblazoned in arcane marking on the side of the tent read: "THE ALABASTER ALEHOUSE".

A few patrons stumble out of the flap, laughing and staggering their way to their tents. As you cross over through the flap, the noise of the inside hits you. It's filled with laughing, music and other drunken times. At least somebody was having fun up here. (It's warded for sound.)

Ewan Stark
    The female tiefling Caretaker that you ask about a drink turns to face you. She looks like she's actually afraid of talking to you, before she finally blurts out "DRINK?"

"Wahnadrenkomwhafme." (You want a drink, come with me) Eisajor taps you from behind. In the company of these two people you are a master linguist.

"KomanEwan" (Come on, Ewan) He motions towards the central area of the Refugee camp.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    *out of the frying pan, into the fire* Ewan thinks to himself as he nods to Eisajor. "Lead the way."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING: