As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Rain O X L2+X YOU DIE!

• Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was that Mariska Hargitay?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

This game looks interesting, if a 360 port were to ever happen I would give it a shot.

Rei on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, the Sony crew gets this, Xboxers get Alan Wake (I want Max Payne 3, damn you!) - fair trade, I guess.

I'll take this, 'cause it doesn't seem (so far) to have some silly paranormal aspect to it. 'Course I'm probably just calling it silly because Alan Wake looks fuckawesome and I don't have a 360.

On the other hand, I do also think if someone handed me both games and said "pick one, based on what you know now", I'd go with Heavy Rain. That gameplay vid, plus what I've been reading about branching effects from winning/losing the QTEs sounds absolutely wicked.

Stretch it out for eight hours and don't give me any unnecessary filler, and you've got a sale. Fortunately I won't have to add this to the piling financial woes of this fall quarter. High-interest gamer loans anyone? Anyone?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How did I miss the thread for this? Loved Indigo Prophecy, even though the plot got retarded. Absolutely loved the QTE-fest gameplay.

Can't wait for this, been waiting forever to hear new info on it.
    See I found Indigo Prophecy to be a terrible game on every level and the only redeeming aspect was the totally fucking ridiculous and insane story line.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    From what I've read, it's not even a case of "HIT X TO NOT DIE!", it's a case of X briefly appearing on a vase and O briefly appearing on his hand and if you press X you smash his head with the vase and if you press O you block his knife and if you don't press either of them he pushes the table over and advances on you. A constant string of context sensitive environments. If you end up in a confrontation with the guy.

THAT's what I was getting at before Khavall "got up my grill."
    It's the first time a game has my curiosity -- not fanboyism, not devotion -- just pure curiosity cranked to 11.

Well normal QTEs bug the hell out of me, but that actually sounds less offensive. Context-sensitive button presses will still detach you from the game (because you're still looking for those damned buttons and trying to match them up while also trying to concentrate on the game itself), but.. at least you're actually more aware of triggering them.

edit: Chance, yeah, I'd say the net result is that PS3 or 360, you're in for a treat if you like your story-based games. Personally I'm more excited for Alan Wake, partly because I am completely in love with the style and story they've got going as it seems to draw out my favourite aspects from Max Payne and put them into a Twin Peaks-esque setting. That's great for me:)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How did I miss the thread for this? Loved Indigo Prophecy, even though the plot got retarded. Absolutely loved the QTE-fest gameplay.

Can't wait for this, been waiting forever to hear new info on it.
    See I found Indigo Prophecy to be a terrible game on every level and the only redeeming aspect was the totally fucking ridiculous and insane story line.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved the story till the ending. But then it was like the developers were like "Fuck, we forgot to write an ending to this cool story! Stick in some random shit."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My problem with the QTE stuff in Indigo Prophecy was that it was statically overlaid on the screen, so you had to watch it instead of the action you were supposedly controlling. Having a single action button (or hopefully two sometimes!) float in the screen at the point of the pre-recorded mocap action that you are going to affect shows they've advanced far beyond their game mechanic understandings of their first attempt. You know what I would have done, though? For the uncomfortable multi-button hold, they should also be reading sixaxis accelerometer data, so you make a noise if you don't keep perfectly still in your hiding place.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What I'd like to see more than anything in these QTEs are for ∆ X ☐ O to actually mean something by themselves. Not necessarily specific actions, but characterizations of actions. Perhaps it could be something like this:

∆ = Yes, positive, allow, activate, offer, give, reassure

X = No, negative, prevent, stop, take, attack, confront, offend

☐ = In, forward, investigate, ask, open, unlock, disassemble

O = Out, backward, evade, cancel, avoid, pacify, defend

Otherwise, it's just a better-integrated, Simon-powered FMV player.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The QTE-centric gameplay in Indigo Prophecy sucked because when you concentrated on watching what buttons you had to press you had no idea what your character was actually doing, and if you tried to pay attention to what was happening on-screen you would DIE.

This was my main gripe with IP (since this was happening throughout the entire game). My cousin, who was watching me play said that this was a great game. I kept asking him what did I miss at the end of every action scene. (The like office chase)

Though yeah, you could screw up a few times and still be ok. And if you messed up too bad, there was a automatic save point close by and your character kinda gave you a clue as to what you did wrong in a voice over.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm looking forward to this one.

I really liked Omikron, shitty FPS sections excluded. David Bowie more than made up for them.

I thought Indigo Prophecy was awesome. Until I got to the abhorrently designed stealth army base flashback thing, at which point I got so goddamn frustrated I turned the fucker off and never played it again. Which, from what I understand about the way the plot "developed," I'm probably better off having done.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What I'd like to see more than anything in these QTEs are for ? X ? O to actually mean something by themselves. Not necessarily specific actions, but characterizations of actions. Perhaps it could be something like this:

? = Yes, positive, allow, activate, offer, give, reassure

? = In, forward, investigate, ask, open, unlock, disassemble

Yeppers.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm looking forward to this one.

I really liked Omikron, shitty FPS sections excluded. David Bowie more than made up for them.

I thought Indigo Prophecy was awesome. Until I got to the abhorrently designed stealth army base flashback thing, at which point I got so goddamn frustrated I turned the fucker off and never played it again. Which, from what I understand about the way the plot "developed," I'm probably better off having done.

yeah....
    (spoilers for near the end game)
    So I managed to reconcile with my girlfriend earlier in the game and in doing so, she gets kidnapped and taken to an abandoned amusement park near the end. She at the top of the destroyed rollercoaster shouting for me to save her. I manage to reach her and untie her. Her first words? (paraphrased) "Why did you save me? This was just an elaborate trap!"

yeah... One of the few times outside of Ninja Gaiden or a fighting game cranked to 11 that I wanted to punch someone.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    What I'd like to see more than anything in these QTEs are for ? X ? O to actually mean something by themselves. Not necessarily specific actions, but characterizations of actions. Perhaps it could be something like this:

? = Yes, positive, allow, activate, offer, give, reassure

? = In, forward, investigate, ask, open, unlock, disassemble

Yeppers.

In the new tomb raider games, the QTEs correspond to things you do in game. not saying they're great, but generally it is a nice touch.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    InterviewThis is an interview with David Cage, the director, about Heavy Rain that still has 0 views, so it must be pretty new. He says that the game will be accessible to everyone, so I think that at least means that you can play an easy mode where the timings of the button presses are really relaxed.

This might enable you to play it more like a visual novel than an action adventure. It also lets you try out and see all the different outcomes sans frustration, which is a big plus.

If they were really smart, they'd use the same eye tracking tech they use for the mo-cap on the gameplay testers to measure where people are looking most in a scene and put the on screen icons in the center of that. I also hope this post serves as prior art of this idea when some ass inevitably patents it.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Those are some fantastic looking eyes. All the little movements that you'd see on a real person.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If they were really smart, they'd use the same eye tracking tech they use for the mo-cap on the gameplay testers to measure where people are looking most in a scene and put the on screen icons in the center of that. I also hope this post serves as prior art of this idea when some ass inevitably patents it.

Wouldn't that rather defeat the purpose? If you want to lock the door, you press the button that appears on the lock. If the button appears in the middle of the screen, how would you know it was for the lock? If there's an option between trying to lock the door and trying to jam a chair up against it, how would you know which of the two buttons to press?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gotta say I love the look of the game.

On a bit of a tangent - would you guys generally recommend Indigo Prophecy? I know the story apparently gets way fucked up, but it is only $10 on Steam...

Graviija on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Graviija wrote: »

On a bit of a tangent - would you guys generally recommend Indigo Prophecy? I know the story apparently gets way fucked up, but it is only $10 on Steam...

It's worth every bit of 10 bucks in my opinion. I guess it's kind of a love it or hate it deal, but for that price you can't really go wrong. Personally I love it. I plan on going out and buying it again soon.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    David_T wrote: »

Wouldn't that rather defeat the purpose? If you want to lock the door, you press the button that appears on the lock. If the button appears in the middle of the screen, how would you know it was for the lock? If there's an option between trying to lock the door and trying to jam a chair up against it, how would you know which of the two buttons to press?

Well, it still has to make sense of course, so I still would put the button on the door and on the chair in that case. It's just that when something in a scene is drawing the attention of the player away from the action unintentionally you have the knowledge to restructure the scene so that you know people will be looking at the right spots most of the time. Instead of relying on experience to know whether a transition is not fluid, you could actually come close to testing for it.

I think movement in Killer7 was an interesting take on combining camera angles with controls to interact with the environment. While heavy rain doesn't do this, I'm hoping we'll get to see a game that combines that, QTEs and predictable functions of face buttons (like Assassins Creed maybe) into one fluid package.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Graviija wrote: »

It's worth every bit of 10 bucks in my opinion. I guess it's kind of a love it or hate it deal, but for that price you can't really go wrong. Personally I love it. I plan on going out and buying it again soon.

I would agree - I'm not sure how much of it I played, but I thought that everything up until the point where I stopped was incredibly compelling and well crafted. The first two or so hours are more than worth a ten-spot.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For some reason flash doesn't want to work with Gametrailers, so I can't watch that interview. They don't have quicktime or windows media player versions of it up, either. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, to make up for it, here is an old E3 interview. Doesn't say anything conclusive either, but it's nice nevertheless.
    Old E3 interview

I liked Omikron for the ridiculous amount of unnecessary stuff they put in it. There are a lot of new items and characters I met when playing the game a little differently and also little alleyways, bars and parks that you never need to visit to finish the game, as far as I know at least. It really gave me a sense that the world stood on its own instead of being crafted for the player.

The short scenario nature of Heavy Rain is a departure from that free roaming world, but it definitely gives me hope that it will be quite non-linear and full of little new things to discover and learn while replaying. I heard Indigo Prophecy is a bit like that as well.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Omikron was a fantastic fucking game. Far too overlooked.

Also David Bowie.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't properly caught up on this thread but i'll post anyway.

Fahrenheit was awesome but, as everyone says, went dreadful towards the end. By and large I believe this is because it was VERY rushed out and they had to cut out (what rumours suggested) at least a 1/4 of the total game.

What with this having PLENTY of development time I'm definitely looking forward to it. And the QTE don't look too bad, it seems if you miss one, you don't die, you can pretty much just choose what your character does.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game has been on my radar since it was announced. Even though it ultimately failed, I thought Indigo Prophecy was important for what it tried to do. Now all I can do is rock gently in a darkened room waiting and hoping against hope that Heavy Rain sees a port to the 360. I'm not going to pay $500+ for just one game, though I'll probably pick up a copy of this in a 'just in case I get access to a PS3' situation.

Which will happen the day before the announcement of a port.

Heavy Rain won't even get a chance to drizzle on the X360, because it's published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Same reason why you won't see Resistance 2, KillZone 2, or MotorStorm: Pacific Rift ever ported to X360, all published by SCE.

DMC4 was published by Capcom and FFXIII is published by Square Enix, who both rather turn profit by going multiplatform, than just staying exclusive.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This game has been on my radar since it was announced. Even though it ultimately failed, I thought Indigo Prophecy was important for what it tried to do. Now all I can do is rock gently in a darkened room waiting and hoping against hope that Heavy Rain sees a port to the 360. I'm not going to pay $500+ for just one game, though I'll probably pick up a copy of this in a 'just in case I get access to a PS3' situation.

Heavy Rain won't even get a chance to drizzle on the X360, because it's published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Same reason why you won't see Resistance 2, KillZone 2, or MotorStorm: Pacific Rift ever ported to X360, all published by SCE.

DMC4 was published by Capcom and FFXIII is published by Square Enix, who both rather turn profit by going multiplatform, than just staying exclusive.

WHY ARE YOU RUINING MY LIIIIIFE

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Wow, just, wow. Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams.

I have to go cry now. :cry:

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Not my fault you guys play ignorant. Why hope for a port that won't happen. Don't shoot the messenger, damn.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you might be taking their joke a little seriously..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Methinks you - oh, nevermind.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where I had seen this game before, and I'm pretty sure the only thing I ever saw was that one shot of the woman with long black hair holding a gun while crying. Pretty sure it was in an issue of Game Informer.

So yah, five pages without this being mentioned yet. Who did the motion capture work on the short-haired woman in the house? Cuz I'd pay big money to watch her walk down a hall for a day. That is some epic sway to those hips!

I think this game looks great, it's creepy without being OTT. It's just unnerving, which is what I like in games and movies. Sometimes, the little things help out. But as far as this being Leon/Krause: The Movie: The Game, it seems pretty obvious that that's not the case. Besides, the replayability of this is off the charts. I wish they would put that house level out as a demo on PSN. I don't even own a PS3, but I'd find way to play it! It seems like there will be a LOT of ways to play through this, and that was just one house.

+1 on the list of reasons I want to buy a PS3.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I <3 Internet Sarcasm.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fawst wrote: »

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where I had seen this game before, and I'm pretty sure the only thing I ever saw was that one shot of the woman with long black hair holding a gun while crying. Pretty sure it was in an issue of Game Informer.

So yah, five pages without this being mentioned yet. Who did the motion capture work on the short-haired woman in the house? Cuz I'd pay big money to watch her walk down a hall for a day. That is some epic sway to those hips!

I think this game looks great, it's creepy without being OTT. It's just unnerving, which is what I like in games and movies. Sometimes, the little things help out. But as far as this being Leon/Krause: The Movie: The Game, it seems pretty obvious that that's not the case. Besides, the replayability of this is off the charts. I wish they would put that house level out as a demo on PSN. I don't even own a PS3, but I'd find way to play it! It seems like there will be a LOT of ways to play through this, and that was just one house.

I would totally buy a PS3 just for this game, but there's no way I can fit one into the budget anytime soon. Instead I'm going to have to play Indigo Prophecy with a plastic bag over my head while screaming HEAVY HEAVY RAIN HEAVY RAIIIIIIIIN and spinning in circles on a skateboard and shooting up heroin.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fawst wrote: »

That would be from the tech demo.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10758.html?type=

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I haven't properly caught up on this thread but i'll post anyway.

Fahrenheit was awesome but, as everyone says, went dreadful towards the end. By and large I believe this is because it was VERY rushed out and they had to cut out (what rumours suggested) at least a 1/4 of the total game.

What with this having PLENTY of development time I'm definitely looking forward to it. And the QTE don't look too bad, it seems if you miss one, you don't die, you can pretty much just choose what your character does.

I believe Indigo Prophecy was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy of games, and the publisher told Quantic late in development that they would instead only be allowed to make one game. So they crammed in all the plot stuff they wanted to introduce over three games into the last 1/3 of IP, to its detriment.

Still an enjoyable game for me, though.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For some reason the first thing I thought when I saw the title of the game was "Chocolate Rain?" When is Tay Zonday going to get his own game?

Also, I loved IP and now I'll have to pick it up again too. I don't mind QTE's, especially if they're done right like they were in the Shenmue series. I will be keeping an eye on this.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey, so, these QTEs in Indigo Prophecy.

Are they, you know, able to be completed by human hands? Because either they are meant for some kind of robot, or I'm missing something.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They can be very difficult, particularly the ones involving heavy use of the triggers. My fingers would get tired in the middle of doing them, so I'd have to pause the game for a bit to allow them to recover.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The idea behind the triggers was so that when your character got exhausted, you got exhausted too.

I didn't have a problem with the button presses though, perhaps you should turn the difficulty down a bit? I think that should slow them.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wow, i only just saw footage of this and i can only say im really annoyed theres another ps3 musthave title, since i still have to decide between xbox/ps3.
    looking through these pages you guys go on and on about this silly QTE system in indigo prophecy, when to me, that wasnt what that game was about AT ALL.
    indigo prophecy was about character design, about truly letting you slip into the skin of someone and living their life for a bit. that they have to throw some action fluff in there in the form of QTEs really wasnt bothering me at all and that they ran out of budget halfway through i wont blame them for either.
    and all that being said i can really see improvement on just the elements i like in heavy rain! just this casting vid alone, simply wow... considering all the preschool quality writing we tend to get in videogames, here comes some really serious, adult stuff and you guys sit around discussing QTE gameplay ;) gamers really just get what they deserve i guess.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
This discussion has been closed.