As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King's Bounty: The Legend. Fantasy SRPG's just like the good 'ol days.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I'm bringing this old thread up front again because....well...I've got no sense of decency.

I'm merely wondering when new units spawn so I can hire them. I expected it to work like HoMaM so that I would get new units every daybreak but no dice. Do they ever respawn?

Also, damn fine game. I can see my whole weekend being destroyed because of this

Movitz on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    units don't respawn. Some places will "restock" or get new units as you finish quests and such. The only unlimited supply units will have a "HORDE" in place of their number. If you run out of units to buy, you'll have to use Sacrifice to get more of that particular unit.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh, right then.
    So I'm fucked :)

I'm guessing the sacrifice scroll is random like every other scroll

Thanks for the info.

Movitz on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Guess what RPG#s been doing so well that it's getting an expansion pack? That's right, World of Warcraft!

In the event that you already knew about that though, here's information about some minor game nobody's heard about.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/11/kings-blather-rps-dissects-an-armoured-princess/

New skills! Tamed pet dragon! A new bloodthirsty race of... ant-eaters? Can those even be said to have blood with which to thirst after?

Looking forward to more Russian RPG crazy awesome.

subedii on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Guess what RPG#s been doing so well that it's getting an expansion pack? That's right, World of Warcraft!

In the event that you already knew about that though, here's information about some minor game nobody's heard about.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/11/kings-blather-rps-dissects-an-armoured-princess/

New skills! Tamed pet dragon! A new bloodthirsty race of... ant-eaters? Can those even be said to have blood with which to thirst after?

Outstanding. Amelie is the King's daughter from the first game, yes?

Also, pangolins aren't just anteaters. They're armored anteaters.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iolo wrote: »

Outstanding. Amelie is the King's daughter from the first game, yes?

Also, pangolins aren't just anteaters. They're armored anteaters.
    With big, sharp claws.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Awesome. Though I hope they fix up the translation a bit this time.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just got this. Whole lotta fun. :P

At level 2 with all three of the character types, still undecided as to which I prefer, although nuking with wizard spells is fun.

devoir on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    devoir wrote: »

At level 2 with all three of the character types, still undecided as to which I prefer, although nuking with wizard spells is fun.

Mindcontrol enemy manz and sacrifice them to the dark gods!

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

This sounds awesome. I hope I don't have to go too far without finding the scroll.

Also; is there a level cap?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

This sounds awesome. I hope I don't have to go too far without finding the scroll.

Also; is there a level cap?

Not that I've found. But there are a limited number of fights in the game. It's really not a bad idea to kill _everything_ you can BUT keep in mind: a) Limited number of things to recruit in the game and b) You will encounter shit you cannot hope to kill until much later. Knowing when to fight and when to run the hell around an encounter is a big deal.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I got myself a copy of this game. Would someone mind giving me a few pointers in how the different classes play and what you should focus on. Any general gameplay hints would be appreciated as well.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So I got myself a copy of this game. Would someone mind giving me a few pointers in how the different classes play and what you should focus on. Any general gameplay hints would be appreciated as well.

Skill-wise, everything is kinda obvious. Depending on your class will decide what skill tree you spend the most time in. Wizards get more mind runes so they'll have better magic, etc. Warriors tend to have (slightly) larger armies and better rage abilitis/attacks. Paladins.... suck :| Honestly, I never really saw the point in playing a Paladin. They do get rez from the start though, so that's nice.

Aside from the mind tree, it's generally a good idea to go as high as possible in every tree you can. The top tier skill for mind/warriors are pretty good. Unless you're a paladin, I wouldn't bother going to the top of the mind tree. I'd also recommend sticking with 1 point in every skill until you do hit the top. Most of the skills have diminishing returns after the first point, so you aren't missing out on much.

Never use the last scroll for a spell unless you've learned it or know you don't want to learn it ever. I don't think I've ever used scrolls for combat... seemed better to sell them off.

For sanity sake, stick with unit types that you can buy in the surrounding area (early on anyway). Without sascrifice/rez/etc, replenishing units is a fucking chore.

Very very minor spoilers:
    do *only* the main quest(s) right at the start and try to avoid enemies until you unlock rage abilities. The sooner you unlock them, the sooner you can start leveling them up. The first two spirits can be unlocked as soon as you unlock the rage skills (you'll know when).

aBlank on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    -Don't spend crystals to scribe/upgrade spells you rarely/never use. You get a glut of crystals in the start/middle game but near the end when you want to be scribing and upgrading the awesome end game spells, you'll regret wasting them.

-Its better to go for +attack/defense/mana stats rather than +leadership when levelling up. The leadership boost might look tempting, but it becomes trivial later on while attack/defense/mana is always useful.

- Use your rage guys as often as possible to level them up.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So this game is FINALLY getting a release in the UK. Release date is the 16th of January as given by play.com, not really seeing anyone else stocking it so far. Maybe it's just going to be play.com.

Anyway, what's surprising is that the game's getting a special edition release, and for the price it's not too bad. Regular release is £25, Special Edition is £30.

SE details:

# Collector's Edition contents:
    # King's Bounty: The Legend game
    # "The Art of King's Bounty: The Legend" artbook
    # Bonus DVD
    # T-Shirt
    # Poster (double faced)

# Bonus DVD contents:
    # "Tales from Endoria" - 8 episodes
    # Game trailers
    # Artwork
    # Web Fankit
    # Original soundtrack
    # Exclusive Katauri interview

subedii on
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can anybody think of any other recent games in this genre? I love my old school games like Shining force 2 but those graphics make my eyes bleed at this point.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game looks closer to Heroes of Might and Magic than to SF to me. You could try HoMM 5 or 3, there are probably demos of both. People will say that 3 is the best, but 5 is also great, and might be a better pick if you're into graphics and all that jazz.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Disciples II still looks pretty good. I picked up the Gold compilation (original + 3 expansions) for $7.50 at Target the other day (on Steam too I believe, although not that cheap). Gameplay is great, although I gave up on it beofre finishing the single player game because getting your Hero, who carries over from one campaign level to the next, to the level cap took forever and a day (six realtime hours per level at one point.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Disciples II. Art is awesome, gameplay is fun. It can be difficult at points.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just wanted to bump this, since I got this in a handout at the Idle Thumbs meetup at PAX. I've been playing this straight for the last week. It reminds me of the addictive qualities of first playing through WoW, exploring an unknown world with lot of things to see and avoid.

Also, finally beat the game today as a mage. Double-casting is really broken, though I just geyser'd and fire rain'd everything and didn't use the more imaginative things I've read so far. Anyways, really excited for the exp pack, which comes out next month.

Musan on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Musan wrote: »
    mage.

WIZAAAAAAAAAAARD

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since this is bumped anyway, does anyone else have graphical glitches during battles? It'll hang for half a second, and there are black artifacts along the grid lines. It mostly happens when I move the camera, but occasionally when units move too.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love this game to death. My only real gripe with it is that the randomly generated store items that get placed in the first few towns are a real crapshoot. Sometimes you get loaded with awesome items that are perfect for you class and you end up using most of the game, and sometimes you get nothing but junk and end up wearing leather armor all the way into the dwarf mines, since almost no one sells anything past the starting area.

I'd snap up Armored Princess in a second, if I hadn't already blown my game budget for the next month or two. I'll be looking to pick it up down the road, though.

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The random aspect of the game was the best and worst thing about it. Getting Evil Beholders/Royal Snakes almost right off the bat = VERY easy early game. On the other hand, you could go FOREVER without sacrifice, a good AoE spell, etc. and have an extremely annoying mid-game.

The end game regardless ends up being extremely easy.

Oh, and Mages were OP as hell. Double cast is leagues better than what warriors get. Paladins just plain suck :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually liked the Paladin. :P Of course, I always played him as a sort of Warrior/Wizard hybrid and didn't invest too heavily in the mind tree.

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The new King's Bounty is out now on Steam. Wondering whether to get it now, having just bought L4D2 and Dragon Age.

Musan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I only just finished KB maybe a week ago, so I'm probably going to hold off for the time being.

Good thing about King's Bounty, you can drop it for months at a time, and then just pick it right back up again and head for the nearest encounter.

Plus individual battles normally lasting less than 10 minutes each is good when you're strapped for time.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, considering my backlog, I'm going to wait for a bit more than 10%

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eurogamer dude said that it's basically the same game. Might pick it up when it's much cheaper though.

Movitz on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh hey, I completely forgot about this. It looks like it came out, is it worth getting? Apparently there's an expansion, too?

KiTA on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Oh hey, I completely forgot about this. It looks like it came out, is it worth getting? Apparently there's an expansion, too?

More of a stand-alone sequel than expansion.

In any event, I'm mixed on how I feel about King's Bounty. Loved it when I first started playing, but hit a wall about halfway through and just could not get back into it at all despite repeated attempts.

I'd suggest picking it up if you are a fan of the genre, and can get it for $10 or less. And bypassing the sequel for now, as it's more expensive.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ketar wrote: »

In any event, I'm mixed on how I feel about King's Bounty. Loved it when I first started playing, but hit a wall about halfway through and just could not get back into it at all despite repeated attempts.

I'd suggest picking it up if you are a fan of the genre, and can get it for $10 or less. And bypassing the sequel for now, as it's more expensive.

Are there any balance changes? like, shops refiling, etc? Because that was the worst thing about the original: static amounts of recruitable creatures.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone tried cute princess amelia in armored princess yet?
    I wonder how many bugs are still left in game.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saw the trailer for Armored Princess just now. Still wanna try it, despite never finishing the first game.

I too hit a wall, with some big boss fight that was just completely unfair. I had pretty much cleared the entire world of beasties and I'd still get my ass kicked.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    LionEyez wrote: »
    Saw the trailer for Armored Princess just now. Still wanna try it, despite never finishing the first game.

I too hit a wall, with some big boss fight that was just completely unfair. I had pretty much cleared the entire world of beasties and I'd still get my ass kicked.

Which fight was it?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ketar wrote: »

Are there any balance changes? like, shops refiling, etc? Because that was the worst thing about the original: static amounts of recruitable creatures.

Haven't played it yet, but I read there's been a bunch of "balance" changes. I guess mages have *much* less leadership and talents have been heavily reworked. A lot of warrior talents seem innate now (like archer's now have that frost arrow skill without having to spend a talent point, you get 2 reserve spaces without having to put talents into it, etc).

I loved and hated the random recruitable creature aspect of the game. It made each playthrough sort of unique in it's own way. I remember my first run through the animal/farm guy near the beginning was selling royal vipers (or something) which was awesome. I wasn't so lucky my next time through, but I did get some evil beholders to spawn in the swamp early.

It certainly does suck though when you don't fine a decent aoe spell until you hit the islands though :| Or they keep tossing awesome units at you but at such low amounts (and pre-sacrifice or whatever) that you can't make a decent stack out of them.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just went full on damage - mage. Most of my investment was in damage dealing spells. Never really used sacrifice, and rarely buffed when I could cause raw damage. Sometimes used slow to keep an enemy at bay whilst I whittled away at them.

To that end I focussed on getting my Int as high as possible (along with items to buff that), and used the necklace of firestorm for an extra 30% damage on fire spells. By the end Rain of Fire was causing something somewhere between 2000 and 4000 points of damage per cast, and I had taken double casting up to 3 turns. The whole point was neutralising their biggest threats before they could respond (I also took the bonus initiative skills from the Might tree so I could cast first).

subedii on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is the original worth picking up? Or maybe skip the original and aim for the sequel directly? I missed this when it came out last year.

KiTA on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is the original worth picking up? Or maybe skip the original and aim for the sequel directly? I missed this when it came out last year.

Unless the balance changes in the sequel are very significant, I'd buy original when you can find it discounted. Otherwise, while enjoyable for a while it wasn't really something I'd recommend at full price, and the sequel will probably be up there for a while since it's brand new.

Ketar on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really enjoy the game but I've got two problems with it, which is why I haven't picked it up in months.

The difficulty curve gets steeper as the game goes on, I'm on the pirate isles now and I've stopped playing because I can't get enough troops together to keep going. Finite amounts of troops suck.

A bigger problem, and the one that keeps me from trying to muscle through, is that the game keeps crashing. There seems to be a memory leak somewhere that brings down the cards. It can happen quickly or not for hours but always results in a video error.

Its a shame, despite the difficulty it's a fun game.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"