As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King's Bounty: The Legend. Fantasy SRPG's just like the good 'ol days.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Yeah, if you want a pure HOMM clone (and improvement) go with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Where can I even buy that game?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    So how close is this game to Heroes of Might and Magic?

I love HoMM but am tentative about this.

Major differences:
    A single hero, one of three classes.
    More quests, more interactive map stuff, more story
    Occasional boss fights
    No city building

Basically, King's Bounty is HOMM with about half the TBS stuff replaced with RPG stuff.

Battles also seem a bit more unit-centric than in HOMM3. Many units have like two or three alternate abilities they can use other than their primary attack. As a result, battles feel a little bit slower and more strategic.

Frem on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Yeah, if you want a pure HOMM clone (and improvement) go with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Grief.
    It does seem to have gone rare, now that you mention it.
    Ebay?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Gametap has it as part of their Gold subscription. $10/month is totally worth it to sign up for a month or two and play whatever else floats your boat in addition to Shadow Magic. They have a lot of good, older titles available.

Ketar on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ketar wrote: »

Gametap has it as part of their Gold subscription. $10/month is totally worth it to sign up for a month or two and play whatever else floats your boat in addition to Shadow Magic. They have a lot of good, older titles available.

Or only $130 new on Amazon. :)

I keep hoping that GOG.com will get it someday. (They already have King's Bounty.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Or only $130 new on Amazon. :)

I keep hoping that GOG.com will get it someday. (They already have King's Bounty.)

Yeah I'm holding off on getting AP from the Steam sale because I'm hoping that somewhere down the line it should appear on GOG.

subedii on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So uh
    This game is hard. Got any tips to make it less hard?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My best tip would be to always be running between the zones. The areas are not placed in any consistent difficulty order, and some quests are truly impossible when you first get them. Basically you should very rarely enter a battle where the enemy army is not weak or very weak compared to yours (right-click to find out). That way you should be able to minimize your losses and earn enough experience to take on the next tier of enemies without wasting your money and soldier supplies. If you start to see armies that are equal or higher, leave and come back later when you are more powerful. And save before you enter any combat where you can't see the enemy army before it begins, some quests do this with little warning so you have to pay attention.

The best early units I have found are the Royal Snakes and Ancient Bears, both are durable and hard-hitting.

I have personally run into a bit of trouble in the Freedom Islands, since none of the troops I use are sold here and thus my army is slowly withering away while my enemies get stronger and stronger since I can't seem to get back to the kingdom. Are there any good troops I could use in that zone? So far I have only seen level 1-2 pirates.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Poking around Armored Princess for the first time. Does Mage not have double-cast? Are all the classes viable? Are there any colors of dragons that are worse/better to pick? Is there a rage box to go and find?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Poking around Armored Princess for the first time. Does Mage not have double-cast? Are all the classes viable? Are there any colors of dragons that are worse/better to pick? Is there a rage box to go and find?

Mages can get double cast. All classes appear to be viable. There is no rage box.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Mages can get double cast. All classes appear to be viable. There is no rage box.

Thanks! Any dragon picking tips? I picked the +1 intelligence/Treasure Finder dragon (green?) and when I read the skill it seemed underwhelming.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Thanks! Any dragon picking tips? I picked the +1 intelligence/Treasure Finder dragon (green?) and when I read the skill it seemed underwhelming.

Treasure Find is the key to long term awesome. Max it, use it every single fight. You'll thank me near endgame.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Treasure finder is indeed awesome. When maxed, it's low rage (8-9?) for 3 treasures. Free money is never bad, but sometimes you'll luck out and get runes or 'uber' scrolls. Nothing sets the tone of a playthrough better than finding an uber scroll and getting dragons, royal griffons, or whatever early on.

As far as what dragon to pick, it depends on class mostly. Generally, the bonus is so small you aren't really going to notice a huge difference. That said, there are a few "unique" abilities you won't find easily elsewhere. +crit and +init (to animals) are both decent bonuses outside of the norm. Some people just stick with whatever dragon has treasure find so they can get to an early start finding shit.

Other random tips:

Learn to kite enemies. That is, get spotted, run away, then steal whatever they were protecting. In AP this is really important in getting new maps and such.

*always* use the full 10 turns before shit stops counting for 'trophy/achievement' progress and max rage usage. Inquisitors in particular, are useful here so that you'll always have some rage ability to use. This'll keep your dragon leveling up and get those (fairly) useful achievements done. If a battle is more or less done by turn 3, I'll spend the next 7 turns firing off Archmage's magic shield and using stoneskin (or heal or whatever) to drive up other achievements. Only thing to note, the trap trophy/achievement thing can be a double-edged sword. I find it works out for me more often than not, but it's something to consider.

Don't be afraid to not use a creature just because you can't max out it's stack. There are 3 units in particular that I'll pretty much ALWAYS use in the early game (provided I find them) regardless of the # of them I can have:

Royal Thorns- Creates fodder stacks which can create MORE fodder stacks... none of which count as a loss for the purpose of that medal. I won't obsolete these unless I find something comparable/better or they're just way too few of them available in a stack (also, watch out for fire -_-).

Archmages- Magic shield is amazing for getting no losses while still using melee units/tank units. Telekinesis makes getting the trap achievement much easier and can also setup some attacks (seadog 3hex attack with TK = godly. Probably the strongest early game combo in the game). There damage output is always crap so no real loss in not getting a max stack of these.

Beholders/Evil Beholders- Technically 2 units, but I usually only find 1 or neither early on. These units can perma-sleep any level 1 unit that isn't immune to it (think Devilfish). Insanely helpful. The sleep can work on up to level 4 units IIRC but it's rare. Still a very solid unit overall.

Always go through the tutorial. It's free level(s)/item(s)/spell(s).

Regardless of what class you are, your first skill in your skill tree should (IMO) always be the leadership one (Glory). It's very much an early game skill but I feel the payoff is always worth it. How many points you want to spend in it is up to you (I'd max it as a paladin without blinking) but it's a great first skill.

that's my two cents anyway :)

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is extraordinarily helpful, aBlank. Thanks. I must have missed the AP tutorial, unless it comes after you pick your dragon.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I picked this up yesterday during that crazy Steam sale. I like it, unfortunetly it runs terribly on my laptop.

My basic specs are:

4 gigs of RAM
    Intel i5 2.27Ghz
    Nvidia GT 325M 1gig
    Win7 64-bit

I have a feeling it's Win7 causing the problems, but since this is Steam I am not sure what I can do about it.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Okay, I picked this up yesterday during that crazy Steam sale. I like it, unfortunetly it runs terribly on my laptop.

My basic specs are:

4 gigs of RAM
    Intel i5 2.27Ghz
    Nvidia GT 325M 1gig
    Win7 64-bit

I have a feeling it's Win7 causing the problems, but since this is Steam I am not sure what I can do about it.

It runs fine on Win7 on my considerably lesser spec lappy.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

My basic specs are:

4 gigs of RAM
    Intel i5 2.27Ghz
    Nvidia GT 325M 1gig
    Win7 64-bit

Did you switch off in-game AA? that's a huge performance hit. They fixed it in the sequel.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, should I go for the double pack or should am I better off purchasing only Armored Princess on the Steam sale?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always get stuck on "The Legend" ...
    when I'm on the elf island and need to fight Karador. It seems quite hard to do without losing a whole lot of my army :( Most of the other mobs in the Land of the Dead have black dragons in them, which I find quite hard to kill successfully with my mage :(

So I've got two games that are half done now :(

Leinna on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Leinna wrote: »
    when I'm on the elf island and need to fight Karador. It seems quite hard to do without losing a whole lot of my army :( Most of the other mobs in the Land of the Dead have black dragons in them, which I find quite hard to kill successfully with my mage :(

It's one of the major design flaws in KB. Endgame is littered with dragons. That's insane bullshit when you're a mage.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's really on overarching design flaw that any battles with significant attrition have to be very rare. I would prefer fewer, tougher battles that give you more gold. As it is, I'm always tooling around looking for enemy stacks that are very weak compared to mine.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OK, I'm glad it's not just me.

Hate, really hate black dragons on my mage :(

Leinna on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

My basic specs are:

4 gigs of RAM
    Intel i5 2.27Ghz
    Nvidia GT 325M 1gig
    Win7 64-bit

Did you switch off in-game AA? that's a huge performance hit. They fixed it in the sequel.

I have not. I may try that. Also I guess I should explain the problem I am having.

Basically, the game stutters, then graphics get warped, then static (like TV static) all over the screen. It gets so bad that I really can't play it at all. It usually crashes shortly after that stuff starts.

Axen on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's one of the major design flaws in KB. Endgame is littered with dragons. That's insane bullshit when you're a mage.

Black Dragons aren't all that bad. Here's the tip I posted on them almost two years ago in this thread! :P Spoilered for size:
    small tip regarding black dragons:

Use Trap. It works on them as long as you can predict where they land, and it hits HARD (assuming you've got high intel and trap at level 3). At worst, they lose their turn when they land on it. You can kill a decent # of black dragons this way. A good way to bait them is to have 2 stacks side by side (hex-wise) so that the black dragon tries to line them up to hit both stacks. Put the trap at the only spot the black dragon can reach to do this, and you have a good chance of trapping him.

Dragon arrows also destroys Black Dragons if you've got some archers. I've been using Elven Archers for this. If you use the Dryad's +init move, the Elves (should) go before the Black Dragons (you might need onslaught for this... I've also got an item that gives +1 init for level 1-3 units).

It certainly helps that I can draw out battles (near) indefintely as long as I leave 1 slow unit alive to rez. Between charges (ice lady), my emerald dragon's mana sucking attack, dryad's summoning fodder to mana spring, I can basically rez all my losses before I decide to finish off the fight.

That's pretty much how I dealt with most of the end fights in Legend.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

My basic specs are:

4 gigs of RAM
    Intel i5 2.27Ghz
    Nvidia GT 325M 1gig
    Win7 64-bit

I have not. I may try that. Also I guess I should explain the problem I am having.

Basically, the game stutters, then graphics get warped, then static (like TV static) all over the screen. It gets so bad that I really can't play it at all. It usually crashes shortly after that stuff starts.

This happening in other games? Sounds like an overheated or dying videocard.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    captaink wrote: »

My basic specs are:

4 gigs of RAM
    Intel i5 2.27Ghz
    Nvidia GT 325M 1gig
    Win7 64-bit

This happening in other games? Sounds like an overheated or dying videocard.

Nope, just this one. Other games I run, at max settings no less, are: LOTRO, Dragon Age, and Borderlands. I can play them all day long with no problems.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll try the trap thing, but I guess I'll need to spend some points on distortion magic (I maxed out chaos and order first!)

Leinna on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every time I see this thread I keep thinking it's titled "King's Field" and I get all excited thinking a new one is in the works. Then I get sad. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread I keep thinking it's titled "King's Field" and I get all excited thinking a new one is in the works. Then I get sad. :(

Played Demon's Souls?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't have a PS3. Besides, from what I've seen it isn't what I'm looking for.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    I don't have a PS3. Besides, from what I've seen it isn't what I'm looking for.

Well, it's a game by the developers of King's Field saying that it's basically a new King's Field.
    But I don't know.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll try the trap thing, but I guess I'll need to spend some points on distortion magic (I maxed out chaos and order first!)

The distort spells are awesomely powerful once you know how to use them. Trap was one of my favourites since it was heavily damaging and took away the rest of their action for that move.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    It's really on overarching design flaw that any battles with significant attrition have to be very rare. I would prefer fewer, tougher battles that give you more gold. As it is, I'm always tooling around looking for enemy stacks that are very weak compared to mine.

This is very true.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just bought both games on steam for $10 hurrah for crazy sales.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just bought both games on steam for $10 hurrah for crazy sales.

You have chosen wisely.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm waiting for AP to hit GOG.com personally.

Took me a few months of on-and-off playing just to finish the first game.

It's an easy game to burn out on if you play too much at once. But the good thing is that you can literally leave it for months on end, come back, and pick right back up again.

I burned out pretty much when I reached the pirate islands. a couple of months later you just load it up and head off towards the next battle.

subedii on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got the first one off gog, and saw AP on steam a week later for $30 so I said maybe in a few months. Then it goes on sale and steam takes my money. Armored princess really ramps up the difficulty, it can be a little harder to get into. Warrior is definitely the way to go, mages are weaker than in TL when you could double geyser everything into oblivion. With all the rage talents your dragon turns into a little murder machine that does 40-50% of your damage per fight. just survive until you get dragon dive. You can't use it on bosses, but ancient ents absolutely destroy them. Wasp swarm does like 10k damage.

Jars on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I still don't get how Rage works.

I am playing the original game as a warrior and it says I can summon Spirits of Rage. But...how?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    finish the 3rd main quest(easy)
    ask them to serve you and do their quest
    when your units hit stuff/kill stuff/take damage you build up rage

Make sure you get the quest at the knight's temple first though, it gives you 3 rare mind runes and is easy. Early on all you have to do is buy some venomous spiders/swamp snakes and feed them to the lizard guy. Then you can get shoal of evil and kill everything with it. The last two are from story related events, reaper is amazing get soul draining to 1 rest and time back to lv1-5 units. You can even 'resurrect' black dragons.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I still don't get how Rage works.

I am playing the original game as a warrior and it says I can summon Spirits of Rage. But...how?

Have you gotten the demon box yet? If not, do more story missions.

captaink on