As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King's Bounty: The Legend. Fantasy SRPG's just like the good 'ol days.

• Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So, since this is a russian game I take it that the translation looks like something that got shat through a babelfish conversion, or did the publisher actually invest some funding into a decent translation for once?
    Well there are some strange translations here and there but it's not really a problem. The game isn't all that focused on story anyway and in the places where they messed up you still get what they were trying to say. My favourite translation mishap so far has to be when the hero tells someone to call him if they need any help in the future.

They have already released a patch which improves the translation (among other things), but as I'm still on my first play through so I don't really know how much have changed.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, since this is a russian game I take it that the translation looks like something that got shat through a babelfish conversion, or did the publisher actually invest some funding into a decent translation for once?

Well It seems like it's well translated, grammatically ok...but the writing is trash. That could be due to the translation or just crappy original writing, who knows.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm about 6 hours in and I still haven't found any rage spirits =\ it's like they're taunting me by putting the rage skills at the beginning of the skill tree and then never letting me use it

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm about 6 hours in and I still haven't found any rage spirits =\ it's like they're taunting me by putting the rage skills at the beginning of the skill tree and then never letting me use it

Do the main quest. In fact it's a mistake to play so much before getting the rage spirits, you will have a harder game later, because you aren't leveling up the spirits.

Turin Turambar on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dìrhael wrote: »
    kb2008100202032634lt2.th.jpg

I didn't want to say this before, but man, that really looks like World of Warcraft, but on steroids or something.

Couldn't they find another idea for texturing those purple roofs on the houses?

However, I hope that when Blizzard some day updates the WoW graphics, it will look something like this!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nice! I really hope this runs well on my laptop. Downloading the demo, so I'll see soon...

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    eobet wrote: »

I didn't want to say this before, but man, that really looks like World of Warcraft, but on steroids or something.

However, I hope that when Blizzard some day updates the WoW graphics, it will look something like this!

Dirhael, how are you running humans, dwarves, elves, and undead with no one taking a morale hit?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On the topic of amusing English, there's plenty of it on their site as well:

"What happens when a dwarf and an orc sit together with lots of alcohol drinks?"

Is there a lot of replay value to the game? As in HoMM style scenarios?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    One thing thats really frying my mind about this game is that it doesn't seem balanced for people who actually do the sidequests..there's so many of them if you do even a quarter of them of them you become so over leveled the challenge completely dissapears, i really wish i'd started on something harder than normal.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Iolo wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »

Dirhael, how are you running humans, dwarves, elves, and undead with no one taking a morale hit?

Oh they are all taking a morale hit, in several of the screenshots I had to make do with the troops I could get until I reached a place to get new ones of the "correct" type. That said, humans+dwarves or humans+elves works mostly fine (just avoid mixing dwarves+elves if you can). Also, you can have undead or even daemons in your troop without getting penalized as long as you have upgraded the correct skill (tolerance). Another thing to think of is that spells can be used in battle to make morale less of an issue. There are also items you can find that will improve the morale of the various races.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So where's the best place to get King's Bounty? On Steam or Gamersgate?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So where's the best place to get King's Bounty? On Steam or Gamersgate?

I don't believe it's actually on Steam is it?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    No, if I'm not mistaken Gamersgate got the exclusive digital distribution rights (well, you can also purchase a downloadable copy directly from Atari but with their limitations I don't see why anyone would want to do so).

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, if I'm not mistaken Gamersgate got the exclusive digital distribution rights (well, you can also purchase a downloadable copy directly from Atari but with their limitations I don't see why anyone would want to do so).

Yeah I'm largely waiting for the physical copy to hit so that I can buy that.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I guess that I had a brain fart or something then. I'll check it out on Gamersgate then.

EDIT: 40 Euro!? Fuck that, I'll get a physical disc instead since that'll probably be at the very least 10 Euro cheaper.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah I'm largely waiting for the physical copy to hit so that I can buy that.

I got my copy from Gamersgate and I'm happy with their download service, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it someone looking for the game. It would have been nice to have a physical copy, but the thing that worried me a bit about getting that is that according to posts on their forums the disc version is several versions older than the digital one, and they have yet to a single patch on their website. The Gamersgate version on the other hand is already several versions newer and it have even gotten a new patch since release which improves things like the translations along with other more regular "patch" things.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I guess that I had a brain fart or something then. I'll check it out on Gamersgate then.

EDIT: 40 Euro!? Fuck that, I'll get a physical disc instead since that'll probably be at the very least 10 Euro cheaper.

Do as I did, use the free Hotspot Shield when making the purchase. It's a VPN service with US servers so you'll get the price in USD instead of Euro. You don't need it [the VPN service] after you've paid, so you can download the game with your regular connection.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, I've been seeing this on the store shelves, and now I know what it's all about. I'm quite sure I'll be picking this one up soon.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, Maruaders are a great early game unit. Not only do they 'run' for two extra action points once a battle and strike from a hex away (no counterstrike) with a special ability, they also have a great 'loot' ability twice a battle where you can stand on the corpses of a dead stack and get a pretty nice chunk of change.

Also, the whole "kiss your wife" to get children thing cracks me up. I married the frog princess. Hopefully I won't meet someone w/ better stat boosts later and have to kick her and our four children to the curb.

(Also, the OP rapes my H-scroll.)

Also, I forgot that cyclops were ranged combat units, and that cost me a bunch of mans I shouldn't have lost.

Also, how much better are inquisitors than regular priests?

Also the Rage Box slime guy's AoE attack is pretty fantastic in the early game (the attack fish, not the stinking cloud)

Also, I'm stuck at a conference in Florida with no King's Bounty for the whole weekend.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Do as I did, use the free Hotspot Shield when making the purchase. It's a VPN service with US servers so you'll get the price in USD instead of Euro. You don't need it [the VPN service] after you've paid, so you can download the game with your regular connection.
    Thanks, that seems to be a really nifty little program. By the way, how much do King's Bounty cost in dollars?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Thanks, that seems to be a really nifty little program. By the way, how much do King's Bounty cost in dollars?

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well, that's a hell of a lot better than 39.99 Euro.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Direct2drive has it now.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is out now?

Amazing!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I've got this stack of Priests just sitting in the reserve pile because I can't bring myself to give up Bowmen.

Dragon Arrows + Fit of Energy is just murdering everyone by round 2.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    One thing thats really frying my mind about this game is that it doesn't seem balanced for people who actually do the sidequests..there's so many of them if you do even a quarter of them of them you become so over leveled the challenge completely dissapears, i really wish i'd started on something harder than normal.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did probably 85-90% of the first continent quests, and I'm having to turn tail and run from just about everything in the Freedom Islands.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grabbed the demo and finally played for a little while yesterday. I quite liked what I played.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did probably 85-90% of the first continent quests, and I'm having to turn tail and run from just about everything in the Freedom Islands.

There's no consistency. I'm running around having no problems and then all of a sudden I'm up against 3000 skeleton archers. D:

Fats on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't notice a huge jump going to the Isles, but going to the Hell level the difficulty just jumped through the roof. I just had my Royal Snakes dropped from 180 to 30 and a 350-strong stack of Bowmen completely wiped out in one non-hero battle.

And the daemon gates. Fuck those things.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    quick question:

when do you get the box o rage in the full game? in the demo it came after the first quest for the king, but in the full version I'm like lv.5 now and still don't have it, sorta missing my killer fish powers

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Foomy wrote: »
    quick question:

when do you get the box o rage in the full game? in the demo it came after the first quest for the king, but in the full version I'm like lv.5 now and still don't have it, sorta missing my killer fish powers
    Just follow the main storyline quest for a bit, its pretty early on, you can get it by level 2-3 if you rush it.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    quick question:

Just follow the main storyline quest for a bit, its pretty early on, you can get it by level 2-3 if you rush it.

ah thanks, been doing mostly sidequests and junk after that first one, guess i'll just rush through the main ones until I get it

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    quick question:

ah thanks, been doing mostly sidequests and junk after that first one, guess i'll just rush through the main ones until I get it

Also, once you get it, be sure to open it up from the Hero screen and talk to the spirits. (Save first.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    quick question:

ah thanks, been doing mostly side quests and junk after that first one, guess I'll just rush through the main ones until I get it

Also, once you get it, be sure to open it up from the Hero screen and talk to the spirits. (Save first.)

ya did all that, I like their personalities a lot. little things like that make a good game even better

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aw man. Play.com is telling me that King's Bounty's release has now been pushed back to 13/02/2009.

Darnit. :|

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aw man. Play.com is telling me that King's Bounty's release has now been pushed back to 13/02/2009.

Darnit. :|

just get it off one of the digital dist places. gamersgate was simple and easy for me. or someone else mentioned it's on direct2drive as well now.

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Woo-hoo! King's Bounty in today's front page post on PA.

Also, (for real spoilers)
    ...made it to Demonia last night. The game blew my mind a little the first time I climbed on one of those platforming things and flew up to a giant flying boulder in sight of other flying boulders I could somehow get to. That's a level that feels a lot less like HOMM just walking around.

And, talked to Recruiter Raab. I told him to bring Dragons. And then was totally surprised when I went to recruit some more cannoneers back at the Dwarven Capial and had to fight him!

Also, Black Dragons are fricking sweet.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Woo-hoo! King's Bounty in today's front page post on PA.

Yeah, didn't see that coming. I'm surprised he even knows about this obscure but awesome game. Especially after that one specific post last year that prompted a dozen separate "the PC is dying !", Sky-is-falling type threads. :lol:

Heck, he even threw out a mention on the Witcher, although that's a bit less surprising.

subedii on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm trying to budget myself, like my only game for October was going to be Fallout 3. I'm tempted to buy this because Spore was kind of only meh insted of awesome. Should I get this? I like things like Civ4 and have been playing that pretty hard from release still.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I'm trying to budget myself, like my only game for October was going to be Fallout 3. I'm tempted to buy this because Spore was kind of only meh insted of awesome. Should I get this? I like things like Civ4 and have been playing that pretty hard from release still.

This game is seriously pretty terrific, if you like deep, single-player PC gaming experiences that look good and have a sense of humor. I summarized the gameplay earlier in the thread (Heroes of Might and Magic + Diablo/Wow + Final Fantasy), although I will say that 30+ additional hours in I expect the replay value to be substantially lower than a game like Civ4. Not non-existent with the treasure and critter randomization, but lower. I can't speak to what you need, of course, but this game is scratching the exact itch I didn't even know I had (while waiting for Fallout 3. It was this or the Witcher EE, and the King's Bounty demo clinched it.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.