Options

The Left 4 Dead Thread - DEMO OUT NOW

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Hey whats crackin people?

Quick question, does the early demo access from preordering apply to the 360 and PC version?
    I'm wanting to ply them both to get a feel for which I want to purchase. If everything plays smoothly on my PC then that's what I'm going with. If not then I would like to see what she looks and feels like on the console.

Please don't reply with the old bugaboo of "Stop asking questions and get the PC version nub!". I know she is always better on the PC but I'm looking for a smooth play and if I can't get a satisfactory level of smooth flow on the PC then there ya go. I also know the Source engine scales well, but if I have to scale down to something worse then the console version I would much rather not have to worry about it.

Yes.

But get the PC version anyway. :D

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    riposte101riposte101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Everything I've seen so far has been pretty good. Just waiting to player the demo to confirm.

riposte101 on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Old article but talks about match making

match_making.jpg
    Image of matchmaking in Left 4 Dead
    Steam is quickly shifting from being just a distribution system to becoming an actual platform that’s single handedly making PC gaming what it needs to be. In an interview with CVG.com, Robin Walker (Valve Programmer/Designer) revealed that Valve is currently working on including matchmaking/lobby functionality for Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, as well as the Steamworks development tools. So expect AAA and indie titles alike to feature current and upcoming Steamworks features.

When asked about specific feature sets, Robin Walker replied, “We’ve no firm plans in terms of being able to say what exact feature-set you’ll get, but there’s absolutely some matchmaking systems going in. In terms of more generalized matchmaking, not so much on the individual level, but on team and clan levels, that’s something we’d really like to get into Steam at a basic level, so that it supports any product.”

:^:

Fuga on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, look at what happened for tf2. Class and map updates for free on PC, but for 360 you have to pay for them... months later.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    dmauro wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    So since this is a Steam game does that mean that every time I join a game I have to download 200MB is custom MP3 sound effects first?

Why would you ever do that? Disabling downloads of custom sound files is the first thing you do when you first start a Source game.

Is this in the game options or Steam options? I wasn't aware this existed either, though I haven't played much of anything online other than TF2 on Steam, and that was only a small amount here and there.
    No it is not an in-game or Steam option, or at least it wasn't the last time I tried to play Counter-Strike without spending ten minutes trying to find a server that didn't have download requirements. You have to add lines to a config file, but I get varying reports from google about what works and one time the PA forums gave me the right code to put in my config file, but this was all before SteamCloud and one computer later and I was back to being stuck searching for non-obnoxious servers.

It should be an option. It is not an option. It drives me crazy.

This is simply not true. I don't know about CS, but I'm looking at TF2 right now and there's an option to allow all downloads, disable sound downloads, or disable all downloads. If it's in TF2 I'd be happy to guess it's in L4D as well.
    I don't have TF2 :/
    That's good to know though because hopefully that means that L4D will follow suit.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Well, look at what happened for tf2. Class and map updates for free on PC, but for 360 you have to pay for them... months later.

Mostly because Microsoft won't let them release it for free at the same time as the PC stuff.

Echo on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Mostly because Microsoft won't let them release it for free at the same time as the PC stuff.

Doesn't change the fact that the 360 version of Left 4 Dead is likely to be fuckered in the same way.

UNLESS EA (since they're publishing this time, instead of Valve self-publishing like with The Orange Box) decides to throw its weight around and bully Microsoft into allowing the free updates, but I don't see that happening, personally.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Mostly because Microsoft is apparently staffed by cocksuckers who hate their customers.

Maticore on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    That's good to know though because hopefully that means that L4D will follow suit.
    You fail. Get TF2 and stop being a nerd.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You fail. Get TF2 and start being a nerd.

I need to do the same. I only rented it.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

Doesn't change the fact that the 360 version of Left 4 Dead is likely to be fuckered in the same way.

UNLESS EA (since they're publishing this time, instead of Valve self-publishing like with The Orange Box) decides to throw its weight around and bully Microsoft into allowing the free updates, but I don't see that happening, personally.

Uhm...EA published the Orange Box.

jonxp on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Okay, tangentally related to L4D;

My mic has finally died on me. I was using a Logitech Headset I'd had for a good 2-3 years where one headphone had died. Rather than junking it, I just put vent/game sound through my speakers and would continue using the mic by wearing the headphones around my neck. Ghetto, sure, but effective and strangely comfortable.

Now I need to look into a replacement. Dead headphone aside, I've always liked Logitech ones, and figure I'll probably go with them again. I've checked Best Buy and they've got what appear to be some quality ones on hand, from cheap to nearly $100 after taxes.

Considering that I want this more for the mic than the headphones, any recommendations? I suppose I could just get any old headset and do the same thing, as I like being able to have a movie or show on in the background while messing around in a game. I use ventrillo constantly with WoW (and soon, L4D), so I intend to get one today or tomorrow most likely, which rules out waiting on something shipped. Also, Ebay seems to have lots of good deals, but they're all refurbished, which I think I'll sidestep for now.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Is this in the game options or Steam options? I wasn't aware this existed either, though I haven't played much of anything online other than TF2 on Steam, and that was only a small amount here and there.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158051

You will own face with FATAL1TYS soul fused within yours.
    Bit gassy, but once you get the feel for it, they're great.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So does anyone know if theres going to be voice chat in L4D or is it going to be going off that circle thingy where you can choose what to say. Cause I dont like that much and I sure as fuck dont want another RE online type game.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There'll be voice chat

I don't see why they would remove it specifically for this game

MrDelish on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mastrius wrote: »
    So does anyone know if theres going to be voice chat in L4D or is it going to be going off that circle thingy where you can choose what to say. Cause I dont like that much and I sure as fuck dont want another RE online type game.

This is addressed every page. JUST LIKE ME ASKING YOU TO SEND A FRIEND INVITE TO PA L4D! (Ha hah, I win).

But yes, VOIP is in.

UberEv on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know what circle thingy you speak of but there will be voice chat for the PC and 360.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Geez, 2:33pm and still no code. Le sigh.

UberEv on
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, I've been looking forward for this. But I'm also playing Fallout 3 now and it's sooooo good. And I still have Stalker: CS going... and the occasional TF2 and ZP:S.

Tharghor on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    UberEv wrote: »
    This doesn't constitute any credibility at all but something weird is happening over GAF way. They are claiming that they are receiving calls from Gamestops robot saying L4D will be available Tuesday. Has anyone received a call here? (I wouldn't, I always give a false phone number)

tuesday is the 11th, coincidentally the date of the public demo release? i think not... i think someone might have gotten their wires crossed?

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh cool I will just wait for the public demo then.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This doesn't constitute any credibility at all but something weird is happening over GAF way. They are claiming that they are receiving calls from Gamestops robot saying L4D will be available Tuesday. Has anyone received a call here? (I wouldn't, I always give a false phone number)

tuesday is the 11th, coincidentally the date of the public demo release? i think not... i think someone might have gotten their wires crossed?

I would agree, but two or three people have now said they have gotten the call. I find this odd.

UberEv on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can I get a Steam group invite? Info is in sig.

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't wait to kill some zombies. Why wont they release the demo code!

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got a call today from Gamestop saying the game would be available on Tuesday (no specific date). Im just going to assume that its a strange "2 week warning" call, or some kind of mistake, until I read differently.

I wish GS wasnt the only reliable store near me for pre-ordering.

Octavian on
    PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stragint wrote: »

I think because today is still the 5th...

This is a huge problem, because 5 does not equal 6.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

This is addressed every page. JUST LIKE ME ASKING YOU TO SEND A FRIEND INVITE TO PA L4D! (Ha hah, I win).

But yes, VOIP is in.

BWAHAHAH I had to ask. Thats nice to know. And nice for people who need to ask for this page.

NOW JOIN THE FRIEND LIST PEOPLE.

mastrius on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To get you all in the mood, here's a terrible song from the 1990s called Zombie

For those of us who pre-ordered through Steam, do we need to get codes too? Or will the demo just be added to our accounts tomorrow? Any clue?

Also, I've wondered this before about steam games, where can you get the box manuals for games purchased through steam?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The demo will be easily downloadable from steam. They'll say, "hey do you wanna?" and all you have to do is click the box that says "brains" and it'll start for you.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    To get you all in the mood, here's a terrible song from the 1990s called Zombie

For those of us who pre-ordered through Steam, do we need to get codes too? Or will the demo just be added to our accounts tomorrow? Any clue?

Also, I've wondered this before about steam games, where can you get the box manuals for games purchased through steam?

Right click on the game in Steam, and select "View Player Manual".

jonxp on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guess who just learned that he has a four day weekend?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    The demo will be easily downloadable from steam. They'll say, "hey do you wanna?" and all you have to do is click the box that says "brains" and it'll start for you.

Just to note, Gamestop (at the very least) is handing out the codes today, even if the download won't be available.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Reserve Left for Dead and receive early access to the demo. The early access will start on 11/6/08 and will end on 11/11/08. Offer valid only while supplies last.

In-Store and Online Customers: Codes and instructions will be emailed beginning 11/5/08. You must provide a valid e-mail address at time of online order or in-store reservation in order to receive an early access code.

Enjoy.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008

Reserve Left for Dead and receive early access to the demo. The early access will start on 11/6/08 and will end on 11/11/08. Offer valid only while supplies last.

In-Store and Online Customers: Codes and instructions will be emailed beginning 11/5/08. You must provide a valid e-mail address at time of online order or in-store reservation in order to receive an early access code.

Enjoy.

Oh I see the confusion, my mistake.

We still won't be able to play until the 6th at the very earliest :(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper is trying to piss on as many parades as possible.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Enjoy.

Oh I see the confusion, my mistake.

We still won't be able to play until the 6th at the very earliest :(

I know. =( I want to cry. I'll feel so abused, having the code and all but not able to play. At least its worth the wait.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Icemopper is trying to piss on as many parades as possible.

I'm just trying as hard as I can to not get my hopes up. I have too much work to do for this to come out at such an inconvenient time.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If anyone here pre-ordered from gamestop and filled the thing out online for the code to be emailed, let me know when you get it. I dont have mine yet but its early on in the day, well...4 PM but earlier enough anyways.

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If anyone here pre-ordered from gamestop and filled the thing out online for the code to be emailed, let me know when you get it. I dont have mine yet but its early on in the day, well...4 PM but earlier enough anyways.

Yeah I really thought we would have them by now.

UberEv on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Enjoy.

Oh guys I just noticed...

It says 11/5/08 but I remebered Robin Walker is an aussie and we do our dates different to you guys
    11/5/08 really means its coming out on the 11th of May 3018*

[tiny]* Subject to delays [/tiny]

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah I really thought we would have them by now.

Let us hope.

mastrius on
This discussion has been closed.