Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

QUIT POSTING IN ME

freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Well, you morons have managed to fill up another entire thread, so we need a new one. Carry on.

New feature: Revisit your shame! Here's all the Fallout threads that I've started, starting before the release and moving towards today. God, you idiots post a lot.

Oldest
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=67011
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=72309
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73419
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73667
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73890
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74240
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74536
Newest

So Fallout 3 is out now. People have a lot of questions about it. In fact, people keep asking the same questions over and over again. I figure I might as well answer them here, and direct people to this post.

But this thread isn't just about Fallout 3, even though it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We also cater to the retro crowd of Fallout and Fallout 2. I'll split this into two parts, then.

Fallout Classic!
Spoiler:

Fallout 3: The New Fallout. Same great Fallout taste, brand new formula!

So, wait, what is Fallout 3?
Okay, you've obviously been living under a rock for the past couple of years.

Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic hybrid of a turn-based RPG and an FPS. Your character grows up in one of the last unopened Vaults - which are basically big underground self-sustaining fallout shelters - living peacefully with your father. One day, he up and leaves the Vault (which is unheard-of, as nobody leaves the Vault, ever, period). Forced out by the maniacal Overseer, who is convinced that both you and your father want to destroy the Vault's stability, you get thrust into the harsh, unforgiving reality of the Capital Wasteland. This is basically the area in and around Washington, D.C. (which is not the same place as Washington state, the latter being on the west coast and the former being on the east coast, for you eurotrash out there reading this) and includes some real-life places such as Olney, Bethesda, Maryland, Fairfax, VA, Falls Church, etc, etc. Of course, the scale has been compressed and the landscape is unrecognizable, but it's still neat seeing all these places in-game that you can also see on a map.

I'll let wiki handle the basics of gameplay and whatnot.
Spoiler:
Hacking!
When you enter the Hacking minigame, you'll get a screen filled with words and random characters. The goal is to guess the correct word, and it plays out like a game of Mastermind. Pick a word, and the system will tell you how many letters in that word are in the same place as the target word. For instance, if you pick "Meaning" and the word is "Fucking" (for example), you would get 3/7 correct for the "ing" part. There are hidden character sets, delinated by {} <> () on a single line in that order, but there may be characters in between them like {$#$#&%}. Click on one of these when the whole sequence is highlighted and you'll get more password guesses or a dud will be removed from the screen. If you get down to one attempt left and there are no hidden character sequences, and you're not sure you can guess correctly, just cancel out with B and try again. You get a fresh puzzle, but you also get all your guesses back.

Holstering and the Pip-Boy Light!
To holster your weapon, hold down reload (X on 360, R on PC, [] on PS3). To turn on the light on your Pip-Boy 3000, hold down the Pip-Boy button (B on 360, Tab on PC, probably O on PS3).

Repairing Items
In order to repair an item and improve its CND, you need two things: a high enough repair skill to repair an item past its current CND, and another item to scavenge for parts. Say you have two 10mm pistols at 25%. Select one, hit Y (or Triangle for PS3, I guess. I don't know the PC button, it's probably in the manual). Then select the one you want to scavenge for parts, they'll get combined together and the CND will go up, more damage, etc.

Note that you don't need an exact item to use for parts. The unique versions of weapons can be upgraded with the regular version - the Lincoln's Repeater can be repaired with the Hunting Rifle, the A3-21 Plasma Rifle can be repaired with the regular plasma rifle, etc. If you have one of those special weapons, try repairing it and you might have the right piece to use for parts. There's always a cap to which you can repair something (determined by your repair skill), so if you have two 50% guns you might not be able to combine them together. The resulting CND would be higher than the CND you can repair to.

Hotkeys and You!
To set a hotkey for an item in your inventory, on PC press a number key and then click on the item. On console, hold down RB or R1 and hit a direction on your d-pad while the item is selected. Whoever told me you don't need to hold down RB, you're a dirty liar.

In-Game frequently asked questions

I want to explore the Wasteland, but I don't want to skip any of the story!
Spoiler:

Housing
Spoiler:
Where the Fuck is the Family?!
Spoiler:
Where's Dogmeat?
Spoiler:
How do I get into Rivet City? There's no bridge!

Okay, this isn't so frequently asked and it's not a spoiler, but I had trouble with it the first time I went. Climb up that building with the stairs on it that appear to lead nowhere, and at the top (next to the poor guy who needs water) there's an intercom. Click it, and Harkness will send the bridge over for you.

How do I get into the broken-off bow in Rivet City?
Spoiler:
List of Bobbleheads, via Vault wiki
Spoiler:

Unique Weapons
These are better versions of weapons you find in the Wasteland
Spoiler:

Huge gigantic awesome map with lots and lots of locations - if not all of them - filled in. Spoilers, obviously, for people who like to explore on their own.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//d/d6/Wastelandmap.png

Here's another map that's a little different, but probably just as good. Shows bobbleheads, too.

http://crasheras.awardspace.com/fo3m.swf

Complete list of schematic locations - it's a little messy, I might post it in here and clean it up a little later.
http://www.madnesswithoutmethod.com/2008/11/fallout-3-weapon-schematics-guide-info-locations-map/

A list of stuff you'll need throughout the course of the game - if you see any of these, pick them up and save them for later. If I missed anything, feel free to PM me.
Spoiler:

Zen recommends PC mods!
Spoiler:
I'll update this with other questions I see getting asked a whole lot, at least the ones I know the answers to. ;)

freakish light on

• Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User
    edited November 2008
    So, I'm going to start over. I'm thinking of going Unarmed. Y/N?

Spoiler:
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's just so much stuff at range that will kill you if you can't fight back that I don't think it's viable. Unless you also take Stealth, and only move around at night, then maybe you can pull it off.

ed: you could pair it with Explosives and it might work.

• CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I'm doing just fine in an Unarmed run. By using Nerd Rage!, Toughness, and Cyborg, almost any armour I put on gives me 85% damage resistance. Combined with 10 Strength, 10 Endurance, 10 Agility, and 10 Luck, I don't have much of an issue killing stuff. Yes, it does mean a lot of food usage (to add to the challenge I'm not using stimpacks) but after a point you do obscene amounts of damage once you get in range.

Sneak is definitely mandatory, but it's a generally useful skill. If you want to brutalise enemies with the power fist or deathclaw gauntlet, then it's definitely possible to do so.

steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I think DR only goes up to 85% so if you've got that much base, you can wear any armor you want because it won't make a difference.

That's pretty cool.

edited November 2008
    Yeah, I think DR only goes up to 85% so if you've got that much base, you can wear any armor you want because it won't make a difference.

That's pretty cool.

With Nerd Rage!, there's also the constant beating of your heart due to the low health you need to have it active. I constantly feel like I'm about to die, until I realise that combat shotguns barely scratch me. It's just that my health is always that low. :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Unarmed can be difficult at the start of the game, but it becomes really easy once you get certain perks and some decent stuff. Like most ways of playing in this game.

• CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    In the northwest part of the map, I found a
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• LasbrookLasbrook I will always find you Like it's written in the starsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have to agree with unarmed/explosives but i would suggest looking into melee/explosives instead so you can get the ninja perk at lvl 20 without spending 80 points in a skill you dont use. Plus if you use the shishkebab you can grab the pyromaniac perk and do more damage than any melee weapon could. On top of that if you really want you can take the little leaguer perk and gain bonuses to both skills.

At least thats what i was planning for my next playthough.

Also, YOU HAVE A SWORD THAT IS ON FIRE.

• DubhDubh "FLÄSHYN!" Y.V.'s mansionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Unarmed can be difficult at the start of the game, but it becomes really easy once you get certain perks and some decent stuff. Like most ways of playing in this game.

There's a noticeable difference in your killing potential once you grab Iron Fist x3. I prefer fisticuffs to melee because of this, even though melee requires fewer perks to be effective.

Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dubh wrote: »

There's a noticeable difference in your killing potential once you grab Iron Fist x3. I prefer fisticuffs to melee because of this, even though melee requires fewer perks to be effective.

Does iron fist apply to strictly unarmed attacks (no unarmed weapons) or any unarmed attacks?

Also, does anyone know if you can check you strictly unarmed damage? Weapons have that base damage amount, is there a similar thing for bare handed attacks? I did a quick search through my pip boy with no luck. I assume unarmed weapons don't add on top of the base bare handed attacks.

• AeonfellAeonfell Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I have to agree with unarmed/explosives but i would suggest looking into melee/explosives instead so you can get the ninja perk at lvl 20 without spending 80 points in a skill you dont use. Plus if you use the shishkebab you can grab the pyromaniac perk and do more damage than any melee weapon could. On top of that if you really want you can take the little leaguer perk and gain bonuses to both skills.

I did this exactly, it's great, and you look awesome... but I always find myself wanting more enemies.

Grenades in VATS are definitely OP... and also glorious to watch.

• BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aeonfell wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I did this exactly, it's great, and you look awesome... but I always find myself wanting more enemies.

Grenades in VATS are definitely OP... and also glorious to watch.

I'm doing this + Big Guns on my current character. The flamer is so fucking awesome. Nothing is better for massacring raiders.

Except maybe the FLAMING SWORD. Pyromaniac is overpowered.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • DubhDubh "FLÄSHYN!" Y.V.'s mansionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cobell wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »

Does iron fist apply to strictly unarmed attacks (no unarmed weapons) or any unarmed attacks?

Also, does anyone know if you can check you strictly unarmed damage? Weapons have that base damage amount, is there a similar thing for bare handed attacks? I did a quick search through my pip boy with no luck. I assume unarmed weapons don't add on top of the base bare handed attacks.

All unarmed attacks. It's a beautiful thing.

Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was thinking of doing a melee/unarmed run. Would it be better to focus on one or the other? Or should I focus on both?

The Chinese Officer's sword seems like it could be a cool weapon to use, since it sorta kinda looks like a katana, but it's damage output seems kind of low.

Steam ID:
    Spoiler:
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited November 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing a melee/unarmed run. Would it be better to focus on one or the other? Or should I focus on both?

The Chinese Officer's sword seems like it could be a cool weapon to use, since it sorta kinda looks like a katana, but it's damage output seems kind of low.

You can get a unique one from Vance of the Family. He doesn't actually have it on him (he uses a shishkabob) but he is carrying a key to his sword cabinet, which you can pickpocket. It's called the Vampire's Edge, and it's perfect for killing random things you come across as you're traveling.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hm, that's definitely a possibility. If I'm going melee, what should I tag? Obviously melee, and sneak sounds like it would be necessary. Dunno what my third one should be.

Steam ID:
    Spoiler:
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited November 2008
    Hm, that's definitely a possibility. If I'm going melee, what should I tag? Obviously melee, and sneak sounds like it would be necessary. Dunno what my third one should be.

Not sneak. You'll never be able to get close enough to anyone to get a sneak attack, better to go for medicine instead. You're going to get hurt a lot.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The sledgehammer in vats feels so great. I caught a feral ghoul with it right in the elbow on an upswing and obliterated the whole arm. And swatting dogs and rats away as they lunge never gets old.

8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    power armour looks badical

but i think something might be wrong with my minigun

did i get the one that fires out potato shards instead of 5mm rounds at 400rpm

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

Sounds like a job for mods!

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've decided that in my second playthrough, I may still focus on small guns, but really drive the survival aspect. No fast-travel, only eating and drinking for health, no stimpacks or radaway, and forcing myself to sleep for one hour for every 10 hitpoints (a bit arbitrary, but hey it'll keep me from avoiding daylight like I currently do).I find all of these neat places to basically camp out in this game, but no reason to really do anything with them - why sleep out in the wastes when I can just go back to my house?

My dream mod would do this stuff and maybe throw in random attacks while sleeping in unsecure areas. Basically make the game a bit like Stalker with the Oblivion Lost mod. As it stands, since I have the 360 version I'll just have to pretend I've modded it.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited November 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

Not sneak. You'll never be able to get close enough to anyone to get a sneak attack, better to go for medicine instead. You're going to get hurt a lot.

o_O

Me and Fisto! regularly sneak up on enemies. Sure, the sneaking is generally done indoors or in a ruined urban landscape, but that covers a large amount of the combat you'll be doing.

steam_sig.png
  • D00MD00M Registered User
    edited November 2008
    So I followed Mr Crowley on his epic journey from the Underworld across the wastelands.

He took on Super Mutants, The Enclave, Yao Guai, Raiders and Mole Rats, However he fell in battle against a Giant Radscorpion just on the borders of his final destination.
    I just had to carry his quest on in his honour.

RIP Mr Crowley.
    You provided 40 mins of entertainment, while I just stood back and watched :)

D00M66.png
  • OceansizeOceansize Registered User
    edited November 2008
    so either im very dumb or my game has glitched....16 hours in, for a few hours now been unable to find 556mm ammo for the assualt rifle, from any vendor or dispatched fiend.

now im coming across more chaps carrying them, once disposed of and searched they are carrying assualt rifles and 5.56mm ammo which doesnt fit the guns i have!? am i going crazy? still relying on my trusting good nick hunting rifle for distance and a combat shotgun up close...

• StrikorStrikor Social Justice Infiltrator Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's weird. Both assault rifles should use 5.56. Do you have any mods installed?

ME3 Origin: strikor

I should go.
  • OceansizeOceansize Registered User
    edited November 2008
    nope, running 360 version here, i thought something might be up as all i ever find is 5.56mm ammo when my gun takes 556mm...what a curious bug, if it is one!

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I was doing the quest with the whore where
    Spoiler:

Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The Minigun, much like the Ripper, tickles people to death whenever you use it. I like to give it to my companion so they can give me a kind of cover fire (even though it doesn't really exist).

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky FONOTUNE Electric FairytaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

The Minigun, much like the Ripper, tickles people to death whenever you use it. I like to give it to my companion so they can give me a kind of cover fire (even though it doesn't really exist).

Yeah, for some reason both weapons tend to deal damage much more slowly than they should. When it takes time to kill a radroach with a ripper, something is up.

Kochikens wrote: »
    oh man I saw an otter with a boner at the seattle one and this kid asked his dad, IS HE EATING A HOT DOG
    and I laughed forever
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

If you're using big guns, use the flamer or the missile launcher. And for melee, the shishkabob or super sledge. It kinda sucks that the minigun is so weak, but I'm glad because it's one less thing to worry about when fighting super mutants. Their occasional missile launchers are bad enough.

The ripper is just used all wrong. You're not supposed to use it like a chainsaw! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO USE IT LIKE A SWORD WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO ALSO BE A CHAINSAW!

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:

Uhm
    Spoiler:

• EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I think I might start anew. Previously I ended up maxing Speech, Unarmed, and Energy Weapons, and focused on my mental stats. This time I think I'll tag some utility skills and repair/lockpick my way into the Wasteland's history books.

Oh, and I'll be evil while I do it. And I'll ignore the goddamn XP perks so I don't max out too soon.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky FONOTUNE Electric FairytaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On minigunning: Eugene rocks the box. That is all.

Kochikens wrote: »
    oh man I saw an otter with a boner at the seattle one and this kid asked his dad, IS HE EATING A HOT DOG
    and I laughed forever
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Uhm
    Spoiler:

Second sentence. "...because I didn't have any waypoints to Rivet City..."

Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Uhm
    Spoiler:

Second sentence. "...because I didn't have any waypoints to Rivet City..."

What really sucks on this mission:
    Spoiler:

hobbessig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Real men rip apart Deathclaws with their bare hands.

Also: why the hell do you swing your fist faster(less ap) with spiked knuckles on than with your bare bits?

344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I got bored and stopped playing after I stumbled across Rivet City 9 hours in. Maybe I'll start playing again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I get bored when I play I quicksave and immediately kill everyone in the general area due to the lack of combat.

Then, reload.

I, uh.

Accidently quicksaved again with one guy after I killed all of Tenpenny tower.

He became my evil guy, to say the least.

344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My Evil guy was Butcher Pete, a crazed hobo that solved his problems with his fist!

• stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Too bad you can't craft light sources. I'd like to make portable torches out of glowing ones' heads.

This discussion has been closed.