Options

Would it make Metalbourne happy if I [CHAT] in his breakfast cereal?

• Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thank you, Metalbourne. You are a sweetheart.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So would it make me a bad person and hated if I took away my links page? I've been told it's not a good idea to have "competing artists" on the same site you use as a portfolio gallery. I can understand this. This site will be used to show potential employers.

Verdict?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could always add them back after you get the job...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't hate you, but then again, you haven't got me linked, so I'm not really losing anything. I think people would probably understand if you took it away (it does make good sense, after all).

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's your site, do whatever the fuck you want with it. Nobody is paying you to be on there.

But I'd stop linking to an unfinished site.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Never heard that, but it makes sense. You could just make a blog you never update and have them on there instead, that way you don't have your personal and business stuff jumbled together.
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I thought it was funny.

Way to misidentify humor!

Well I'm glad at least one other person here has their head screwed on straight.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's your site, do whatever the fuck you want with it. Nobody is paying you to be on there.

It'll be finished soon, and there's a link on the main page to the old [finished] site, so it's not just a completely blank page. I think it's fine to leave for now. It shouldn't take me too much longer to finally finish. Just need to code the gallery.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It'll be finished soon, and there's a link on the main page to the old [finished] site, so it's not just a completely blank page. I think it's fine to leave for now. It shouldn't take me too much longer to finally finish. Just need to code the gallery.

That's all fine.

I'll just continue to think you're unprofessional until then.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That's all fine.

I'll just continue to think you're unprofessional until then.

Totally cool with me, I'm just a student! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh Flit, why would you say something like that? I thought we were friends. But now we're mortal enemies.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I agree with flit's dog being superior.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bwha.jpg

Clearly my dog does not understand what all the hubbub is about.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh Flit, why would you say something like that? I thought we were friends. But now we're mortal enemies.

oh ok I will let your dog play with my dog

Agentflit on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My dog can fly and shoot lasers and save orphans from orphan fires.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    image008.jpg

My mom's dog wants to see how this will all pan out.

image005.jpg

Nope, she lost interest.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So would it make me a bad person and hated if I took away my links page? I've been told it's not a good idea to have "competing artists" on the same site you use as a portfolio gallery. I can understand this. This site will be used to show potential employers.

Verdict?

i took my links page off
    it makes it less of a "personal" hobbyist page and more of a professional portfolio if you trim it down to just what clients would be interested in
    i also don't have any sort of introduction, the main page is my art, then there's a page with a bit of info on me, and my contact info.
    all of the things an employer would want
    with very little about what they wouldn't give a shit about.

all of these dogs are cute
    but i am pretty partial to metal's dog.
    it's face hurts my stomach to look at.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »

oh ok I will let your dog play with my dog

I'm sorry I overreacted. Your dog is really super awesome and Phoebe and I would love to play with your dog. I keep saying "your dog" because I don't know if your dog is male or female and it would be disrespectful to refer to your dog as an it.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Flit, how long is that movie? Cause it's been downloading for 20 minutes, and I don't know whether or not to try again or keep waiting.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's only a few seconds long but my server likes to freak out all the time. Try again?

Betel it is a lady dog

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »
    Betel it is a lady dog

Hey, just like Betel

's dog

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You are on really thin ice as it is, mister, and that clever use of the spoiler tag to create an implied insult toward me just made the ice a little thinner.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I love thin ice in a drink in comparison to ice chunks, The thin ice always tastes so yummy and melts faster

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

Verdict?

i took my links page off
    it makes it less of a "personal" hobbyist page and more of a professional portfolio if you trim it down to just what clients would be interested in
    i also don't have any sort of introduction, the main page is my art, then there's a page with a bit of info on me, and my contact info.
    all of the things an employer would want
    with very little about what they wouldn't give a shit about.

Yeah, the first page is going to have a big chunk o' art on it, and will pretty much just be used to say "I added these things into this section".

I may leave the tutorials section up........actually, maybe I should remove that too, and add it once I've actually got tutorials up...or maybe I should just post youtube vids and totally remove the tutorials section! :o

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And Loomdun comes in with yet another completely relavent and sensical addition to the conversation...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I love thin ice in a drink in comparison to ice chunks, The thin ice always tastes so yummy and melts faster

so your drink becomes watered down and warm faster

NotASenator on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have to admit, mildly watered down creme soda is great... maybe thin ice comes in handy for that?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Not if you only have a thin layer of it on the top, That way there isn't much of it and you just eat it all at the start and have a ice free drink that doesn't water it downnnnn.

Edit: My family is getting wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to hyper about me drawing now

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Not to divert from this fascinating topic of debate, but-

So I recently bought some books on Middle East history because 1) The news makes the Mideast seem like kind of a big deal and 2) Ubisoft makes cool games set in the Mideast.

Reading through part of the first one makes me realize that hey I really do not know squat about Mideastern history. Is it just because I went to Catholic school up until high school and they didn't want to mention any of those other currently existing religions, and then I never had to take any college history courses? Or are most Americans just more or less totally uninformed about it as well?

All I remember being informed of was, "hey Sumerians ____________ [strike]Crusades[/strike] ______________ and then 9/11 happened." :? Surely something must of happened over there within the last couple thousand years that's worth mentioning, at least more so than teaching that Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin every damn year.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I imagine it's mostly that last reason, there. I don't really know anything about it, either, art history aside, maybe. It's part of the tradition of teaching that Western European and North American (postcolonial) history is all that really matters. Honestly, I don't know very much about Asian history, and even less about precolonial African history. It's shameful, really.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

So I recently bought some books on Middle East history because 1) The news makes the Mideast seem like kind of a big deal and 2) Ubisoft makes cool games set in the Mideast.

Reading through part of the first one makes me realize that hey I really do not know squat about Mideastern history. Is it just because I went to Catholic school up until high school and they didn't want to mention any of those other currently existing religions, and then I never had to take any college history courses? Or are most Americans just more or less totally uninformed about it as well?

All I remember being informed of was, "hey Sumerians ____________ [strike]Crusades[/strike] ______________ and then 9/11 happened." :? Surely something must of happened over there within the last couple thousand years that's worth mentioning, at least more so than teaching that Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin every damn year.

Yeah, there's a whole lot to catch up on. While Europe was in the Medieval Ages, the Middle East had a period of enlightenment and expansion. They kept the Ancient Greeks' work alive, progressed a lot in mathematics, science, and navigation, not to mention all the art, architecture, and literature (well, I'm only familiar with Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat). Baghdad was one of the biggest intellectual centers of that time until the Mongols sacked it.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Yeah, there's a whole lot to catch up on. While Europe was in the Medieval Ages, the Middle East had a period of enlightenment and expansion. They kept the Ancient Greeks' work alive, progressed a lot in mathematics, science, and navigation, not to mention all the art, architecture, and literature (well, I'm only familiar with Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat). Baghdad was one of the biggest intellectual centers of that time until the Mongols sacked it.

And somewhere along the way, they just decided to stop advancing.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The purely domestic slant towards teaching history seems really stupid and it makes me feel really stupid.

Shit, to be honest I'm not even totally sure how Canada as a nation even got there, since it just makes cameo appearances in American history textbooks. I know somebody found Hudson bay, there was a French-Indian War that had something to do with it, and then after that it's just a destination of the Underground Railroad.

Does anyone (Tam looking at you) know of any good books covering the rise and fall of the intellectual movement in the Mideast? All I know about it really is that 1)It happened and 2) It halted partly because of warfare and partly because of a guy writing a book basically saying "Fuck all these 'philosophers'".

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm pretty ignorant across the board as far as history goes because I have a lot of trouble paying attention to it and remembering it. Geography is pretty tough for me too, which seems pretty important when studying history. The limited knowledge that I have of Middle Eastern history concerns how it was involved with the development of what is now Spain.
    Let's just say I feel proud that I can do this all the way through without messing up http://www.rethinkingschools.org/just_fun/games/mapgame.html

People that I know who are better with history seem to find Middle Eastern history pretty interesting though.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    lyrium wrote: »

Well, that was embarrassing. The only comfort is that I was able to separate countries that were in Africa from those that weren't successfully.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ditto; that just made me feel even worse.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is boring. Lets liven it up with more pictures of cute dogs.

img1228860447494.jpg

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I started reading the 9/11 Commission Report today and I'm really getting information overload.

Also I wish summer would hurry up and arrive already.

summer lounging:
    adamandmugen.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I completely suck at geography. I also mess up a lot of US states.

I'm sure once I travel more this will change...there's just been no real purpose right now to me knowing exactly where Uzbekistan is.

Or Utah, for that matter.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All I remember is egypt If you thought my memory in english in bad, ho ho hooooo. You have yet to quiz me on history/geography.

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.