Options

The Wii Hunt Info Thread.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    I just checked WalMart and Target to make sure they didn't roll out any tonight.

They didn't.

Saw FIVE PS3s though.
    Yes, Ps3s have been coming in frequently in the overnight trucks at wal-mart. While they've gotten 2 or 3 shipments of wiis. One being launch and the other was that national Sunday sale a couple weeks later.

I'd like to fucking know how Sony is getting more units to wal-mart when they've only shiped about half of what Nintendo has world wide.

There are apparently a flood of PS3 re-entering stores because burned EBayers are returning their units.

Karma.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    According to iTrackr, a couple Targets here in the Columbus area got in Wiis today. Might not hurt to give a couple calls to stores in your areas if you're looking.

Aoi on
  • Options
    chronoboundgearchronoboundgear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Since this is the only Wii thread I can find I'll put it here. I finally played 4 player Wii Sports and it was a lot of fun. Going through 9 holes of golf never got bowling, and playing tennis was great, too. Multiplayer Elebits was fun, but it felt like it was going to get boring quickly so we quit. Monkey Ball had a few fun games, but for the most part it was tiring. Anyway, buying all these Wiimotes/Nunchucks wasn't a waste after all.

chronoboundgear on
    Xbox 360 Tag: Earthbound King

Every fights a food fight when you're a cannibal.
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Axen wrote:
    Karma.

Shut up, douchebag.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aoi wrote:
    According to iTrackr, a couple Targets here in the Columbus area got in Wiis today. Might not hurt to give a couple calls to stores in your areas if you're looking.
    iTrackr has been down for me all day. It won't open the page where it lists what stock each retailer has. With my luck a shipment's going to come in tonight and I'll miss it.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    I just checked WalMart and Target to make sure they didn't roll out any tonight.

They didn't.

Saw FIVE PS3s though.
    Yes, Ps3s have been coming in frequently in the overnight trucks at wal-mart. While they've gotten 2 or 3 shipments of wiis. One being launch and the other was that national Sunday sale a couple weeks later.

I'd like to fucking know how Sony is getting more units to wal-mart when they've only shiped about half of what Nintendo has world wide.

There are apparently a flood of PS3 re-entering stores because burned EBayers are returning their units.

That and no one is buying them.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Since this is the only Wii thread I can find I'll put it here. I finally played 4 player Wii Sports and it was a lot of fun. Going through 9 holes of golf never got bowling, and playing tennis was great, too. Multiplayer Elebits was fun, but it felt like it was going to get boring quickly so we quit. Monkey Ball had a few fun games, but for the most part it was tiring. Anyway, buying all these Wiimotes/Nunchucks wasn't a waste after all.
    The Wii Thread was culled from these forums, per the rules. Just FYI.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aoi wrote:
    iTrackr has been down for me all day. It won't open the page where it lists what stock each retailer has. With my luck a shipment's going to come in tonight and I'll miss it.

It's awesome. I got in enough to see that one retailer in my city still has them. It crashes before it gets to the screen telling me WHICH Target still has them though. That site just crashes constantly for me. It rarely works.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, looks like there's hope for me after all, wii seeker says my area targets are getting wiis between now and friday, and walmart will get them next monday or tuesday. How many do the bigger department stores usually get? Is it more than eb or gamespot gets?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, looks like there's hope for me after all, wii seeker says my area targets are getting wiis between now and friday, and walmart will get them next monday or tuesday. How many do the bigger department stores usually get? Is it more than eb or gamespot gets?

Substantially more.

Up to two to three times the amount, typically.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Awesome. I just gotta make myself get up early tomorrow, hopefully I won't have to get up at 730 after tomorrow

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Welp, a bigass shipment of Wii hit local stores today... and as I was busy taking care of my sick girlfriend who is down with the flu, I was unable to be glued to the front door of Best Buy waiting for it to open... and they all sold out within minutes.

Guess who bought them?

MOTHERFUCKING EBAYING COCKSUCKERS THATS WHO

ebaycocksucker.jpg

LOOK AT HOW MANY WIIS THAT ONE GUY BOUGHT JUST TO EBAY THEM! FOURTEEN! THAT WAS PROBABLY ONE STORE'S ENTIRE STOCK.

Look at how many fucking auctions there are aside from just that one guy! And these all sprang up today!

It is official: Fucking eBay scalping assholes are the reason Wii is impossible to find.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought most stores weren't allowing people to buy more than one of them at a time in order to prevent this kind of asshattery. Goddammit.

Jebu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't believe they are still going for $400.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:
    Well, they're still nigh impossible to find at retail. I'm starting to think my friend who paid $400 for a Wii and TP at launch wasn't ripped off that much after all. Man, this shortage sucks.

Darlan on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    Well, they're still nigh impossible to find at retail. I'm starting to think my friend who paid $400 for a Wii and TP at launch wasn't ripped off that much after all. Man, this shortage sucks.

I have my suspicions that there would be no shortage if all Wiis weren't being snapped up by eBay scalpers.

Sadly the only way this is going to stop is if people stop buying the things off of eBay.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Variable wrote:

I have my suspicions that there would be no shortage if all Wiis weren't being snapped up by eBay scalpers.

Sadly the only way this is going to stop is if people stop buying the things off of eBay.

Do you know how they need to do console launches from now on? Dutch auctions. I'd much rather that whatever huge corporation gets the windfall than ebay assholes. If the company wanted to be super sexy (and avoid accusations of gouging) they could donate any amount in excess of the MSRP to a charity of some sort.

All the people willing to pay stupid money would be out of the ebay market which would calm things down considerably.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In an amazing turn of events, my wife announced this morning that she wanted to go shopping tonight for a second wiimote, 'chuck, and a game we could both play. I suggest Raving Rabbids.

Not wanting to miss the opportunity for wife-approved gaming, I went nuts. No one, anywhere in town, seemed to have the game or controllers. Hopefully my local GS will keep an eye out for each of those for me if I keep checking back.

shrouded on
    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Do you know how they need to do console launches from now on? Dutch auctions. I'd much rather that whatever huge corporation gets the windfall than ebay assholes. If the company wanted to be super sexy (and avoid accusations of gouging) they could donate any amount in excess of the MSRP to a charity of some sort.

All the people willing to pay stupid money would be out of the ebay market which would calm things down considerably.

To be perfectly honest I can't believe what eBay scalpers are doing isn't illegal.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JackLumber wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Yesssssssss, my local Blockbuster (NW Calgary) that I also happen to be employed at, got a Wii and just phoned me like 2 minutes ago. It's mine, baby! That *and* Twilight Princess muuhhuuuhaaahaaahaaa.

Yay~!

Blockbuster? Since when do they sell Wii's?

Man, seriously put that on your "call everyday to bug them" list. Secret tech right here. Same with Rogers though they get them less often it seems.

On another note: I looked around all day to find Wiis and apparently there was a nice sized shipment (as in, 2-4 to random stores throughout the city) that I hope you Calgarians took advantage of. Tues/Thurs seem to be lucky days.

There were 3 classic controllers left after the huge Walmart rush I missed by FIVE minutes was over. I took home 2.

Now to get more Wiimotes/Chuks.

Good luck everyone.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    EB is a tease with the accesories. They had cards posted of specific items for sale (like nunchuk, remote, classic controller) with the price tag as if you took it to them, you get the corresponding item, but no, of course they were sold out

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    EB is a tease with the accesories. They had cards posted of specific items for sale (like nunchuk, remote, classic controller) with the price tag as if you took it to them, you get the corresponding item, but no, of course they were sold out

Wtf. I too thought that the cards corresponded to the items. That's ridiculous.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Yeah, I saw the wall and got all excited, only to have the sales clerk to tell me they were only on display.

She said the official word from nintendo was no more accessories would be shipped until March, anyone else here that?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So how many of you guys are still Wii-less?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

when it comes to my local wii shipments, I'm either ten minutes too late, or ten days too early.

Kriz on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Yeah, I saw the wall and got all excited, only to have the sales clerk to tell me they were only on display.

She said the official word from nintendo was no more accessories would be shipped until March, anyone else here that?
    Yeah... that's utter bullshit. Why would Nintendo suspend their biggest cash-cow (outside of software) for two months?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

(Ruralish) Australia here, forcasts were "next week" now they're "end of jan".

I think I might venture online.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    slash000 wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:

Yeah... that's utter bullshit. Why would Nintendo suspend their biggest cash-cow (outside of software) for two months?

Official word from Nintendo:

The demand for the Wii console system and games is unprecedented. In response to this, Nintendo is continuously shipping product to retail using a rapid replenishment plan that uses all available means of getting consoles to you.

Which seems to indicate shipments of Wii and accessories should keep coming... be it in small amounts, and at random.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate to say it, but I really wonder how well the Wii would have sold if it wasn't for scalpers and Zelda.

I wish ebay would try and be a bit more responsible about this sort of thing. They could either put a cap on how much these things are allowed to sell for or limit how many of them users could sell.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lurker wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I really wonder how well the Wii would have sold if it wasn't for scalpers and Zelda.

I wish ebay would try and be a bit more responsible about this sort of thing. They could either put a cap on how much these things are allowed to sell for or limit how many of them users could sell.
    Any console a scalper bought would have been grabbed by someone else, you know, like those people buying them from scalpers.

And I don't see why you'd want to know how well it would do without Zelda. I mean, I just don't see the point. How well would Xbox have sold without Halo at launch, N64 without Mario 64 at launch, etc.?

bruin on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    Lurker wrote:

Any console a scalper bought would have been grabbed by someone else, you know, like those people buying them from scalpers.

And I don't see why you'd want to know how well it would do without Zelda. I mean, I just don't see the point. How well would Xbox have sold without Halo at launch, N64 without Mario 64 at launch, etc.?

I'd like to see how the wii would have done with no games at launch. I mean, then we'd really see how the console compared to the other next-gen systems.

Langly on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Lurker wrote:

I'd like to see how the wii would have done with no games at launch. I mean, then we'd really see how the console compared to the other next-gen systems.

Well, look at the PS3.

Heyo!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:

This pissed me off too. Especially since there were like 4 or 5 of each "card" hanging there (on a single peg), which to me at least suggested this corresponded to some number of said items that might be lurking behind the counter.

Then the clerk just looked at me like I was stupid when I brought one up to him.

Fuck you, douchebag.

Maybe, maybe not...but probably not in the way you're thinking. The "frenzy" caused by the initial shortage (caused largely by scalpers) led to increased publicity (and percieved value, due to excessive prices on eBay) and demand overall, which may be a large part of the reason for the prolonged shortage. So without scalpers Nintendo may have had a weaker launch, but that's about it. The systems in the hands of scalpers are being sold, so it isn't like they're all sitting in some warehouse in Podunk. They're just being sold for over MSRP. It's not like scalpers are buying them and taking sledgehammers to them.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    it isn't like they're all sitting in some warehouse in Podunk.

No, there sitting in some asshole's house in La Crosse.

I feel for ya Absolute, and if you find his address I'll be there with a bat.

Veevee on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yeah, i was just going to sort of casually pick one up after the holidays, hoping that it would be mildly uneventful.
    but now i feel like ive got to work my ass off to get one...which is, somehow, making me lust after it more.

edit:
    this might seem like a dumb question...but does the nintendo world store have them?
    i could just pick one up there, i spose.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    yeah, i was just going to sort of casually pick one up after the holidays, hoping that it would be mildly uneventful.
    but now i feel like ive got to work my ass off to get one...which is, somehow, making me lust after it more.

edit:
    this might seem like a dumb question...but does the nintendo world store have them?
    i could just pick one up there, i spose.
    If you're in the NYC area, hit up the Nintendo World Store and the Toys R Us in Times Square -- those are probably your best bets. The TRU was where the official midnight launch was, and I see them there every so often (along with PS3s). You can call NWS ahead of time to save yourself a trip.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

What is sad is I can tell when more Wiis have shipped because the number of auctions in La Crosse alone just explodes.

I am tempted to just camp out at like Target or something, buy out their entire stock of Wii the second it arrives, and then sell them myself for no more than the receipt price + shipping. It wouldn't cost me anything aside from time and energy... I'd just really like to burn some eBay scalper ass.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

What is sad is I can tell when more Wiis have shipped because the number of auctions in La Crosse alone just explodes.

I am tempted to just camp out at like Target or something, buy out their entire stock of Wii the second it arrives, and then sell them myself for no more than the receipt price + shipping. It wouldn't cost me anything aside from time and energy... I'd just really like to burn some eBay scalper ass.
    Playing God is a dangerous game.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jdarksun wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

Yeah, but you know he'd be able to sell 'em all here at the very least. I'd buy one.

But how are they allowed to buy more than one? I thought the limit on each store was one per customer. 14 is just obscene.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

Yeah, but you know he'd be able to sell 'em all here at the very least. I'd buy one.

But how are they allowed to buy more than one? I thought the limit on each store was one per customer. 14 is just obscene.

I'm assuming that person is a manager or something

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
This discussion has been closed.