As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ABC's Castle: Nathan Fillion? ABC? Yeah, this won't last long.

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
bgbottom.jpg
Mondays at 10/9c
ABC wrote:
Wildly famous mystery novelist Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) is bored with his own success. Then he learns that a real-world copycat killer has started staging murder scenes depicted in his novels. Castle is questioned by NYPD Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic), a bright and aggressive detective who keeps her investigations under tight rein. Though they instantly clash, sparks of another sort also begin to fly, leading both to danger and a hint of romance as Castle steps in to help find the killer. And once that case is solved, he and Beckett build on their new relationship as they look to solve more strange homicides in New York - as much fun as one can have with death and murder.

Castle is kept grounded by his Broadway diva mother, Martha Rodgers (Susan Sullivan), and quick-witted teenage daughter Alexis (Molly Quinn). Also starring in the series are Ruben Santiago-Hudson as NYPD Captain Roy Montgomery, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito and Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan.

"Castle" is produced by ABC Studios. Andrew Marlowe (writer, "Air Force One") serves as executive producer/writer, along with executive producers Armyan Bernstein, Barry Schindel, Rob Bowman (who also directed the pilot) and Laurie Zaks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZxSSqG2BHo

So, it looks like this show could be pretty awesome. Then again, I may be biased as I am in love with Nathan Fillion.

The first episode is on tonight!

I am wary that the show won't last too long as ABC has a history of canceling my favorite shows pretty quick. (Life on Mars, Pushing Daises)

So, is anyone going to be watching this with me?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Outside of Nathan Fillion this show looks like a generics generic.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

As much as I love Nathan Fillion, the premise just screams generic.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well it could be executed really well

Right?

Right?
    Canceled in two episodes, callin' it now

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    as long as it doesn't turn into a forensics show it'll be a change of pace at least.

i plan on watching the premier at any rate.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ABC has poured every ounce of its marketing into trying to get the public to like this. My day consists of numerous e-mails saying "HEY YOURE PROMOTING CASTLE, RIGHT?" followed by having to hear the commercial a ZILLION times.

Putting it on after Dancing With The Stars is the best thing ANY show on this network could hope for.

The show very well may fail - but unlike Pushing Dasies, ABC doesn't WANT it to.

I'm saying it will hit 11 episodes, then be shelved until summer when they decide what to do with it. Lasts 2 seasons.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll watch it, I do love Nathan Fillion (plus I like crime shows). I just hope I remember to put it on >_>

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey there's another series of Bones o- oh..... umm, Nathan Fillion is pretty hot in a man crush kind of way, I guess he could replace Deschanel.

Johannen on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Only thing this thing has going for it is Nathan Fillion being Nathan Fillion.

I'm hoping that in the end of the first episode, Nathan's character wakes up as Mal and then we get the revelation that it was all just a dream.

Cut to second season of Firefly aaaaaaand your done.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

I'm hoping that in the end of the first episode, Nathan's character wakes up as Mal and then we get the revelation that it was all just a dream.

People really need to get the fuck over Firefly

It's over and done with and it's never coming back

Let Nathan Fillion find more successful work already

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

That's possible?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

That's possible?

Well apparently not

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Since this is on ABC, I think it's more likely that his charater will wake up and find himself in a Pizza Place.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This seems pretty bad based on that clip.

I have a much better idea:

Bones/Psych crossover.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You know, that clip was actually pretty amusing. Okay, dumb premise that will be quickly exhausted and then turn into the contrived he keeps working with them because he's so good, but Fillion being himself should be really fun regardless.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    This seems pretty bad based on that clip.

I have a much better idea:

Bones/Psych crossover.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable Monk/Psych crossover. Come on, you know it's happening.

And man, though I hope this is good, Life fills my quota of "wacky character coupled with straight partner cop dramedy."

noir_blood on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NATHAN FILLION YAY

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only reason I am planning on watching the show is Nathan. The guy is just too funny to NOT give it a chance. I hope the rest of the show isn't bad enough to make me stop watching.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's entirely possible that it's just the commercials misrepresenting the show to appeal to the average person at the expense of appealing to the niche that loves Fillion's prior work.

The new show from Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars) looks like cloying shit based on the commercials as well, and it's just impossible to believe that he could produce something that awful.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hm. Any chance of seeing this on Hulu?

Wait a minute, I have internet access! TO ZIE WEBSITE!

Antithesis on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll catch it to see if it's anything worth watching.

Maybe this is the hidden formula for ex-Whedon actors. Get on a show where you are part of a coed tag team against crime.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I read the subject line, I was thinking "The Punisher is far too extreme for NBC!"

Sadly, the write up makes the show sound like absolute dreck. The premise sounds like a drama, but the write up about his zany family make it sound like some crappy sit-com.

Then again, there are lots of successful shows on TV that sound equally bad in concept and yet do well.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ABC.com's got he first act of the premiere up (not that it matters now). It actually looks alright. I'll catch an episode or two online and see if it really works.

Doronron on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

I will be amazed if it's not shitty.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I feel awful for Nathan Fillion because I really like him, but after seeing David Duchovny in "Californication", he's just coming off as a cheap PG-13 version of Hank Moody.

I know it's two totally different shows, but just the little scenes I've seen so far about him being all bad ass and womanizing and rebellous, it just makes me think of how Moody's comebacks and one liners are SO much better.

It's not Fillion's fault by any means, it's just I can't see this author charecter without thinking of a much more entertaining author charecter.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well okay, from the beginning to the first commercial break has not impressed me at all

Once I saw that one of the characters was his mom, who had moved in with him for no adequately explained reason, I had a feeling about this show

Then the first bit between him and the female cop was poorly written and didn't flow well and I'm just like "what"

Maybe I just need to get to know these characters or something, but Nathan Fillion's is just coming off as a apathetic uncaring jackass

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh, I hate Californication. If this is a knock=off, then fuck it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wow that speech he just gave her was almost word for word lifted off a Californication scene. That was nuts.

I have no idea how anyone could not like Californication, but I will wait until Season 3 to start and make a thread and shove my beliefs down everyones throats then.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm not the only one who saw this as a Bones semi-knockoff. I have a feeling this will be every bit as mediocre, if not more so. I've watched Bones, because hey sometimes I've got nothing better to do. But this is entering a pretty crowded field, and I'm not convinced it's going to stand out in any way whatsoever.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wait, what? You like David Duchovny better than Nathan Fillion?

Are you nuts?

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'd say, as a person, Nathan Fillion is funnier and more entertaining

But I'd say they're on about the same level with regards to handsomeness

Also David Duchovny's got a successful TV show and that's more than you can say for anything Nathan Fillion has ever done

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Wait, what? You like David Duchovny better than Nathan Fillion?

Are you nuts?

I think David Duchovny plays 'womanizing, know-it-all, self-loathing author' way better than Fillion, yes.

And I also think that because it's on Showtime, Duchovny has way way way more to work with in terms of a good script than Fillion has with this show.

I have loved Fillion in many things he's done, but this role is just not for him, and the dialogue is similar enough to another role (which Duchovny was nominated for an Emmy for) that all it does is make me think of that.

And as people, I like them both equally.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Brother did it

Calling it now, ten seconds after he walks on camera

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brother did it

Calling it now, ten seconds after he walks on camera
    I was betting on mom's boyfriend. However, I have only seen the first act.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Most of the way in now and I'm really enjoying Nathan. The rest of the show is meh, not terrible but not "BEST THING EVER". I came for Nathan, I'll probably stay for Nathan. At least a little while.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, to each his own. I think Duchovny is just about the blandest actor alive, but quality of acting is a difficult subject to argue.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well that was suitably disappointing

This show is nothing special whatsoever, but I suppose it was more entertaining than anything else on a ten o'clock on a Monday, so I'll probably watch it until it gets canceled

But really, there were only a few well-executed moments in the entire pilot. There is really no excuse for how lazily some of these people were characterized

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dunno I thought it had its charm and they presented how both characters reasoned through the case. I think the shows commercials didn't do it any favors and Fillion was good. I'll watch it till it gets canceled in like 5 episodes.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually really enjoyed it. I particularly liked how he kept framing things in terms of whether it was a good story or not. And to be honest, I feel like the series has definite merit, the only show it's really all that similar to is Bones, and even then it's fairly different. It lacks the whiz-bang technobabble crap of Bones and the CSI's, and is more...lighthearted is probably the word, than any of the Law and Orders. I found it quite good.

I think Nathan Fillion can pull this off, and the lady cop isn't half bad either. I also found myself enjoying the rapport between Castle and his daughter.

I honestly think you guys are bandwagoning here, in an attempt to be able to say "I told you so" and "Well I never liked it" if things don't go well.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    This sounds like a show that lasted about eight minutes before being cancelled way back when. Post-Equalizer Edward Woodward was a crime writer who teamed up with a reporter whose face was either really pretty or really weird, and they investigated crimes and had various knockabout shenanigins.

And it sounds like Murder She Wrote as well, of course.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well I like how the tough cop chick wasn't just a stick in the mud bitch, she actually gave a little shit instead of just being paired with the Zany guy. And fillion played Castle as playful but not completely stupid, and his family interaction was a welcome change where his type of character is normally a loner. I also liked how he wasn't infallible and was fooled by the guy with his passport.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net