As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wonder Woman: A confused icon

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    Iroh wrote: »
    Ok, I am coming from an uneducated place in terms of the comics, but can someone enlighten me as to why there are male Amazons?
    They aren't Amazons really, it was just a misnomer used by DiDio.

Basically Zeus figured the Amazons were a lost cause and started a similar order that's made up of men.

Is it bad that this makes me sad because it is historically inaccurate? I know it's not anyway but still... :(

Man, this is comic book mythology.
    Of course DC's Gargareans aren't going to be any more faithful an adaptation than their Amazons.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I am coming from an uneducated place in terms of the comics, but can someone enlighten me as to why there are male Amazons?

Basically Zeus figured the Amazons were a lost cause and started a similar order that's made up of men.

Is it bad that this makes me sad because it is historically inaccurate? I know it's not anyway but still... :(

Would have been cooler if they were Scythians. If I remember right, the common probably-a-myth-but-a-good-story is that the Scythians, of the all-male military, met with the Amazons, of the all-female military, and each culture took a long look at the other and though "Ooooh who is that tall drink of water?" Then they became one culture with a unisex and presumably awesome military.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Basically, a bunch of gods went "Wow, those Amazons were a bunch of fuckups, let's try again, but do it differently!"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »
    Needs more random bondage imo:
    3405454450_18d5efc8b1.jpg

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

man what the fuck

KalTorak on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Would have been cooler if they were Scythians. If I remember right, the common probably-a-myth-but-a-good-story is that the Scythians, of the all-male military, met with the Amazons, of the all-female military, and each culture took a long look at the other and though "Ooooh who is that tall drink of water?" Then they became one culture with a unisex and presumably awesome military.

Yeah, see, this sounds much better.

Quoth on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Needs more random bondage imo:
    3405454450_18d5efc8b1.jpg

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

man what the fuck

Oh come on, who hasn't been vexed by their eyelashes at least once?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guilty

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, see, this sounds much better.
    They aren't meant to be chummy with one another. The Amazons have been dubbed obsolete, essentially.

And historical accuracy has no place here, considering it's happening during the present in a fictional universe.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well the Greek Pantheon is going through some changes right now as well. Athena died and Zeus pretty much went insane.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure Athena's not actually dead.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that I don't get why historical accuracy can't have a place in something. Why make stuff up when there are perfectly good existing ideas to poach/subvert, thus lending the story additional gravitas that it otherwise might lack? I am thinking of things like Sandman, which uses ancient historical figures well while giving them a new spin.

I'm not being all nerdragey, by the by. I mean, as stated, we're talking about a fictional universe with fictional people doing fantastic things. I might as well complain about characters in a medieval fantasy setting wearing historically inaccurate armor.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think that I don't get why historical accuracy can't have a place in something. Why make stuff up when there are perfectly good existing ideas to poach/subvert, thus lending the story additional gravitas that it otherwise might lack? I am thinking of things like Sandman, which uses ancient historical figures well while giving them a new spin.

I'm not being all nerdragey, by the by. I mean, as stated, we're talking about a fictional universe with fictional people doing fantastic things. I might as well complain about characters in a medieval fantasy setting wearing historically inaccurate armor.
    Well, the context within the fictional universe is different. For example, the thing with Hercules actually happened! Argo? Happened. Troy? Happened. Gods? Exist! So she's taking from ideas that are somewhat more fundamental than, say, the scythians, because they work better within the context of the story.

Also, they need to be equal to the Amazons, for obvious thematic reasons. Although, I'm still wondering if Odysseus and Orion are going to help everyone avoid the "pointless fighting" stage.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wonder Woman is in trinity because she's the most famous superhero with a vagina. Who isn't a copy of a male superhero.
    This comment seems so mind-numbingly stupid to me. The "trinity" isn't some new thing DC just cooked up, they are historically the three most popular characters.

And why is she one of the most popular/well known characters? Because she's one of the oldest female heroes. I would estimate that most of her popularity with the baby boomer crowd is due to Linda Carter, and any popularity she has now is due to being the longest running original female superhero. Because frankly, what else is there on the dc side? Manhunter?

It seems like every time I see wonder woman in the books I DO buy with her in them, she's basically the face of the feminist movement. I really think that this isn't due to her personality or character per se, but because there is no one else.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought she was written well in the DCAU stuff, and I'd like to see more character development from the WW from the animated movie.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They took away a lot of her edge, though, perhaps because Hawkgirl would have seemed a bit redundant otherwise.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really really liked the way Matt Wagner wrote WW in his Trinity mini.

Honestly I'm not a massive fan of Batman or Superman either, but I liked them in that as well. Wagner seemed to really get the characters.

Plus WW and Ra's Al Ghul having a swordfight on top of a submarine is brilliant. BRILLIANT!

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The problem with Wonder Woman is that she's too old-fashioned and out of touch with today's America. What we need is a new look that lets today's American female identify with a hero that's just like them:
    BIG_WONDER_WOMAN_by_Wieringo.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There's nothing in your spoiler!

Is this some sort of deep cultural observation that you are trying to make? Are you saying that the modern woman is empty? What does this mean!

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evidently they are fastracking the Wonder Woman movie.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    open image url separately.

a live action flick for her could be a good thing.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have much fear about a Wonder Woman live action movie. Her mythos and pretty much everything about her is so inconsistent that a movie would probably try to capture too much and end up with nothing.

That being said, in the hands of a capable writer and director, a Wonder Woman movie could be exactly what the brand needs to solidify her mythos once and for all.

I still think a Joss Whedon Wonder Woman would be the best thing ever, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't think trying to capture too much has been a common problem with superhero films, though. In fact, the first order of business with most adaptations seems to be streamlining everything so it can fit in 2 hours.

That said, the film could still suck horribly. I just think it would be for other reasons, like casting. If you went down the list of good casting of female roles in superhero films and bad casting, you'd end up with a very short column on the left and a very long one on the right.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I have much fear about a Wonder Woman live action movie. Her mythos and pretty much everything about her is so inconsistent that a movie would probably try to capture too much and end up with nothing.

That being said, in the hands of a capable writer and director, a Wonder Woman movie could be exactly what the brand needs to solidify her mythos once and for all.

I still think a Joss Whedon Wonder Woman would be the best thing ever, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

They could just work with the animated movie's origin. That was awesome.

I heard that Whedon's ideas for WW were terrible.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't even know who I would cast as Wonder Woman. Back in the day, Lucy Lawless was always a favorite pick, but I've always been against that idea. She's not a very good actress. She'd do ok at action scenes, but I don't see her interpretation of the character being very deep. And she's way too old now anyway.

Actually, Malin Ackerman didn't do a half bad job as Laurie in Watchmen, but I don't know if DC would want to use her again.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd want Monica Belluci.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Actually, Malin Ackerman didn't do a half bad job as Laurie in Watchmen, but I don't know if DC would want to use her again.

She did do a fully awful job though.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They should get Chyna. She's a real live Amazon.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lucy Lawless

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Since the movie will inevitably feature a romance, probably involving Nemesis, I had a couple of ideas to make it not shit.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd want Monica Belluci.

Wow yeah, she'd be perfect. I forgot about her since really the only thing I've seen her in is the Matrix but at least in terms of physical appearance she'd be perfect for the job.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really really loved Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman; it's what actually got me into comics. The Diana there had a purpose that wasn't just Superman with tits, had a great supporting cast, and was leading up to an interesting political conflict. Unfortunately they fucked it all up with Infinite Crisis, then even more so with Amazons Attack. Even Simone's run, while great, feels too much like damage control from those two events.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    I really really loved Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman; it's what actually got me into comics. The Diana there had a purpose that wasn't just Superman with tits, had a great supporting cast, and was leading up to an interesting political conflict. Unfortunately they fucked it all up with Infinite Crisis, then even more so with Amazons Attack. Even Simone's run, while great, feels too much like damage control from those two events.
    Honestly, that's mostly because Simone, for some ungodsly reason, decided to respect all the crap stuff that came before. I mean yes, that's a professional attitude, but there should be limits.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Simone's run has been fantastic so far. I just wish she didn't leave Birds of Prey to do it.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought she left Birds of Prey to do the New Atom. She was on it for like 20 issues before she switched to Wonder Woman.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    She gave up Atom to focus on Wonder Woman, as she realized she needed to put more focus on fixing the bigger name character. She left BoP initially to focus on a bigger "Woman's book", because when she left BoP she was hinting that she was still going to write strong female characters.

Her Atom run was great, especially with Byrne as the artist (they worked well together on Action Comics too), then Remender completely screwed it up (Oliffe had good art though)

The only thing wrong with Simone's run so far seems to have been the movie two parter with the storytime Queen. That and having Cassie's battle armor have a midrift to it, which defeats the purpose of wearing armor in the first place. But let's chalk that one up to Lopresti.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Her Atom run was great, especially with Byrne as the artist (they worked well together on Action Comics too), then Remender completely screwed it up (Oliffe had good art though)

You really can't blame Remender for much, since DC Editorial screwed the book up long before he was brought in. Remember the utterly pointless Countdown crossover? That shit was abysmal.

Anyway, I've been intending on reading Rucka's run of Wonder Woman for a while now. Anyone know where to start? Are they all collected in trades?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

You really can't blame Remender for much, since DC Editorial screwed the book up long before he was brought in. Remember the utterly pointless Countdown crossover? That shit was abysmal.

Anyway, I've been intending on reading Rucka's run of Wonder Woman for a while now. Anyone know where to start? Are they all collected in trades?

You should actually start with Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia, a stand alone TPB which starts off the Rucka-flavoured Wonder Woman. It's really good and mixes both Batman (!) and Diana's Greek Myth background. Rucka's official run starts at issue #195 and continues until it was abruptly cut short by Infinite Crisis. They all should be collected in trades.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

How, exactly, would that be? Since I am apparently one of maybe five GV posters who doesn't worship at the altar of Joss Whedon.
    If you went down the list of good casting of female roles in all films and bad casting, you'd end up with a very short column on the left and a very long one on the right.

Fixed, because the problem is a hell of a lot more systemic than with just comic book movies.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't think Wonder Woman would fare too well with Whedon either.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I can't think of a decent action flick starring a female character since Alien.

I have no idea who would direct it well.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.