As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We hate all the orphans [Tabletop RPGs and Gaming]

• Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    As long as you don't stab lizard hobos in dark alleys...

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Book of Vile Darkness was cool but also had some really dumb bits.

Cool: A chapter about how to play an evil character that's more than 'HURR I DESTROY EVERYTHING'

Dumb: Necrophilia feats

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The chapter about how to play an evil character was pretty bomb. A lot of it stuck.

You can also play a character who cuts his or herself.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I, uh, never read that one but necrophilia... feats?

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember at least 1 feat in Book of vile Darkness that, as a prerequisite, you must have been intimate with a corpse.

Pony on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    Man, it would tramautize my kid group if I actually killed on of their characters. Any death I've ever written has been grisly.

I DM for a couple of kids too (their Mom is another player in the game).

One thing I keep in mind is that my game has to stay "Rated PG-13". Last thing I need is to be responsible for traumatizing or confusing either of them.

Also you in general could adjust descriptions and campaign objectives and stuff. Clearly having good guys and bad guys is often easier for them to understand.

If they like stuff like Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia or certain monster movies or whatever, bring some of those tropes to the game. They will probably like that when their DnD character gets to do something similar to what their favorite movie or book or videogame characters get to do, or better yet -- thinks of something more awesome.

As far as dying goes... I houseruled out Death Saving throws for the first several sessions so that they could start getting a feel for the game before having to worry about their characters dying. It really does make them stick together as a team pretty well though. One of the kids is a beastmaster ranger, and whenever the warlord (played by her mom) gets put unconscious, she is the first one over there to administer a heal check.

"I'll save you, mommy!" So precious.

The young ones do tend to get attached to their little mans. If his/her character isn't able to be resurrected, I suggest having an in-game funeral so that everyone gets to say to the player how great their character was and that their character will be missed.

Some of the small stuff like that can really make a difference.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, it is fifth graders I'm dealing with. They can handle a fair amount of stuff.

Hearing one of them saying he wants to slit a goblin's throat can still be disoncerting.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was 9 when I experienced the first death of one of my D&D characters.

I was pretty stunned. I was like "But, there's resurrection magic right?"

And everyone was like "Yeah, but we're only level 3 and don't have access to any of that nor is there any NPC anywhere around who could do it."

I was pretty upset by it. I had extremely limited experience with death up to that age, I hadn't even had a pet die! The closest I came to experiencing the death of someone I was attached to was watching Transformers and seeing Optimus Prime die ( D: )

Fortunately, the DM for that campaign also happened to be my dad, so he took it as an opportunity to give me the sort of "sometimes death happens and it's usually unfair" type speech thing most parents do for their kids the first time a pet or an aunt dies or something.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    Well, it is fifth graders I'm dealing with. They can handle a fair amount of stuff.

Hearing one of them saying he wants to slit a goblin's throat can still be disoncerting.

Whether or not they can "handle" it... well, that's not exactly how I tend to look at it. Social skills are a big part of D&D, and saying something kinda wierd like that isn't really helping with the social skills thing.

If the tone of your campaign doesn't cotton to that sort of thing, and you don't do it yourself, it's easier to make it clear to that kid that what he said isn't what heroes do, or isn't appropriate, or whatever is the best way to express that in the context of an afterschool activity.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I need to start a gaming group in my little island, man.

Is your little island Maui?

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unfortunately, no.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mostly what I go for is imagery. Combat is my least favorite part of any game. I'm trying to engage the imagination (and quash down some of the irritating quirks of the game).

The main skill we're trying to develop is listening. I will boot players who don't listen to my orders or constantly interrupt the game with immature or nonsensical actions.

They want to play, so it's a good bit of leverage I have.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Then I cannot help you.

So our DM decided last night that half of our group not showing up meant it was Dragon time. A level 5 Young Green Dragon against a Minotaur Warden (me), a Human Shaman, a Human Avenger, a Shadar-Kai Sorcerer(ess), and brand new Dragonborn Barbarian. All of us first level.

It ended with the Sorceress knocking the dragon out of flight with a natural 20 on her Acid Orb roll, right after it had gotten up from my goring charge, and then the spirit wolf tearing it's throat out as we were all bleeding to death.

We are currently taking the corpse back on our biggest cart to our base to show the other party members what they missed out on.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My wife is trying to convince me to run a game for my 12 year old niece.

I'm not convinced it's a good idea. She's a bright spark, but I'm not sure I can cope with that much teenage girl. I nearly spat my ring when she called Rock Band full of music for old people.

Look, nobody cares about Justin Timberlake or Rhianna or whatever shit pop music you're listening to, girl. It's not my fault that your parents have failed to provide you with a well rounded multi-decade perspective on music, and I'll be damned if you're going to slag off the 90's in this house.

Hmmm, maybe I should put her in a position where I can subject her to multiple beatings. And decent music.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Enns wrote: »
    Then I cannot help you.

So our DM decided last night that half of our group not showing up meant it was Dragon time. A level 5 Young Green Dragon against a Minotaur Warden (me), a Human Shaman, a Human Avenger, a Shadar-Kai Sorcerer(ess), and brand new Dragonborn Barbarian. All of us first level.

It ended with the Sorceress knocking the dragon out of flight with a natural 20 on her Acid Orb roll, right after it had gotten up from my goring charge, and then the spirit wolf tearing it's throat out as we were all bleeding to death.

We are currently taking the corpse back on our biggest cart to our base to show the other party members what they missed out on.

mount that shit in your fucking den or something.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Enns wrote: »
    Then I cannot help you.

mount that shit in your fucking den or something.

That's what we're thinking. That and bringing it back and leaning it up against the window of our cleric and then running into her room screaming "DRAGON! OH GOD IT'S A DRAAAAGOOONN NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's great, Dubh. I had a similar moment with the youngest player at the table. When she got told that being unfocused/distracted during the game basically made me feel like she didn't care about the game, in which case she wouldn't be invited to play anymore. She straightened right up after that.

Also, I have a "no pouting" rule. If you hit zero hit points because you didn't tell the warlord you were in trouble, then it's your own fault!

Kids can learn a lot of good things from D&D.

Math, teamwork, leadership, manners, strategy, problem-solving, etc.

Sadly many of us adults tend to kick some of this stuff to the curb when we play.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fishman wrote: »

I'm not convinced it's a good idea. She's a bright spark, but I'm not sure I can cope with that much teenage girl. I nearly spat my ring when she called Rock Band full of music for old people.

Look, nobody cares about Justin Timberlake or Rhianna or whatever shit pop music you're listening to, girl. It's not my fault that your parents have failed to provide you with a well rounded multi-decade perspective on music, and I'll be damned if you're going to slag off the 90's in this house.

Hmmm, maybe I should put her in a position where I can subject her to multiple beatings. And decent music.

I suggest waiving the multiple beatings.

And having a campaign that revolves around good music.

Like a campaign setting with a musical kingdom, where music is relevant to social interactions, landscapes, monsters, sorcery, and whatever else.

The Jazz Lands, the Rockabilly Mountains, the Symphonic Empire, Quadrophenia, the Grunge Marches, the Prog Wizards, etc etc.

Being able to identify which noble is of the House of Beatles and which is from the House of Yardbirds is essential information in Britvania. As is knowing who the true heir to the Barony of Van Halen. Whether one falls in with Lord Hagar or Lord Roth may make all the difference in the battle against the dreaded and sinister Kiss Army. Woe betide ye who enter the Temple of Syrinx without a proper understanding of Analect 2112... it is the key to understanding its traps and riddles. And one should know the power of the secret words "Gabba Gabba Hey", and the mystic rituals of the Stone Temple Pilots that cause their monoliths to soar over the land.

I could go on, but this is already gone horribly enough. You can do better, I'm sure.

Or incorporate "old people music" on Guitar Hero into a skill challenge. Hell, "Air Guitar" should be a magic item in such a campaign.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    5 players is half your group?

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    5 players is half your group?

A little over half. Cleric, Shaman, Barbarian, Avenger, Rogue, Wizard, Sorceress, Warden, and another Barbarian. Except the Rogue probably isn't showing up anymore and the new Barbarian won't be able to make one of the nights.

It's kinda crazy with that many Strikers.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Woah. The one I'm running got 3 players. Swordmage, Ranger, Warlord.

The group where I'm a player got 6 + GM and I thought that was enormous.

Your battles must be epic :)

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That sounds like a nice little group.

Our GM has these crazy strong bad guys that he wants to be recurring villains but the moment they show up it becomes Rapefest '09. Our cleric got a 20 on shooting the imp familiar off the shoulder of the first enemy. With a bow. That's how we started the game.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yup, and it's the first time for them. They are doing really well so far. I'll have them fight their first dragon soon.

I got quite high hopes for my GMs new campaign. I get to play test my Skaven Rogue.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

I suggest waiving the multiple beatings.

And having a campaign that revolves around good music.

Like a campaign setting with a musical kingdom, where music is relevant to social interactions, landscapes, monsters, sorcery, and whatever else.

The Jazz Lands, the Rockabilly Mountains, the Symphonic Empire, Quadrophenia, the Grunge Marches, the Prog Wizards, etc etc.

Being able to identify which noble is of the House of Beatles and which is from the House of Yardbirds is essential information in Britvania. As is knowing who the true heir to the Barony of Van Halen. Whether one falls in with Lord Hagar or Lord Roth may make all the difference in the battle against the dreaded and sinister Kiss Army. Woe betide ye who enter the Temple of Syrinx without a proper understanding of Analect 2112... it is the key to understanding its traps and riddles. And one should know the power of the secret words "Gabba Gabba Hey", and the mystic rituals of the Stone Temple Pilots that cause their monoliths to soar over the land.

I could go on, but this is already gone horribly enough. You can do better, I'm sure.

Or incorporate "old people music" on Guitar Hero into a skill challenge. Hell, "Air Guitar" should be a magic item in such a campaign.

This is kinda super awesome

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A Brutal Legend campaign? :D

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hm, yeah, I guess it may be effectively the same thing.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Who would be opposed to me making a Pink Floyd themed adventure? I think that sounds just right.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You guys are nerds. :P

I'd love to play D&D, I need to see if I can find players in my area or get in on a game online or something.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I want to roll the dice again so bad, but my friends from work are playing Vampire: the Masquerade, and I want to play D&D. And even when they get around to D&D, they're into 4th Edition, and I can't stand it.

Also, I really do not like the changes made to the Forgotten Realms. It no longer feels like the Realms I fell in love with.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Having Play-Tested it a bit last week, I am beginning my revision of the Dungeon Master class.
    Dungeon Master
    “My mind is filled with deadly little mazes.”

Class Features:
    Roll: Controller.
    Power Source: Labrynal.
    Key Abilities: Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma
    Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather
    Weapon Proficiencies: Scythe, Longsword, Crossbow
    Implements: Ornaments
    Bonus to Defense: +2 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution Score
    Hit Points per Level Gained: 4
    Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: Dungeoneering. From the class skills list below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level.
    Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Nature (Wis)

Class Features: Lair, Modus Operandi

Lair
    Each Dungeon Master has the ability to draw forth a burst of Labrynal power that warps and twists the world around him, allowing him to establish a area in which he can control the very nature of reality. All Dungeon Masters begin with the Establish Lair power.
    Establish Lair Dungeon Master Feature
    You slam a fist into the ground, causing the terrain around you to shift and reshape…
    At-Will * Arcane, Zone
    Standard Action Close burst 3
    Effect: You establish a Lair, cosmetically altering the terrain within the area of the burst, and claiming it as your personal realm. Any powers with the Lair keyword may be used within, and only within, the area of this burst. Ranged powers with the Lair keyword can be used on any square within your layer that you can accurately perceive, and may originate from any square within your Lair that you can accurately perceive. You may dismiss you lair as a Minor Action. Your Lair lasts until it is dismissed, until you leave the Lair, or until you establish a new Lair using this power.
    You may choose a specific cosmetic adjustment to the area within the burst whenever you use this ability to establish a Lair. The Lair retains the underlying layout and contents of the area, but its details may be changed – grassy plains can become a platform of stone bricks, a river may become a stream of blood, etc.
    You may not create or destroy anything, and anything altered returns to normal when the Lair is dismissed. Damaging or hindering terrain remains damaging or hindering, though the precise cosmetic effects of this may change. The same holds true for traps.
    Level 11: Establish Lair Becomes Close Burst 4.
    Level 21: Establish Lair Becomes Close Burst 5.
    Special: You may use this power once per round.

Modus Operandi
    Dungeon Masters wield Labrynal energy that shifts and alters reality, but not all Dungeon Masters agree on exactly how reality should be shifted.
    Choose one of the following Modus Operandi.
    Worldweaver Modus: You gain the Crawling Keep Dungeon Master power.
    Hordeleader Modus: You gain the Chosen Champion Dungeon Master feature.

Crawling Keep Dungeon Master Feature
    With a flick of your wrist, you send tendrils of Labrynal energy seeping out into the world.
    At-Will * Labrynal
    Move Action Special
    Effect: You claim another square as part of your Lair. This square must be adjacent to an already claimed square.

Chosen Champion Dungeon Master Feature
    With a nod of your head, you infuse an ally with Labrynal energy, marking him as your champion.
    Encounter * Labrynal, Polymorph
    Minor Action Ranged 10
    Target: One ally
    Effect: You claim the target ally as your champion. The target’s square is considered part of your Lair, as is each square adjacent to him. The target undergoes some minor cosmetic change to associate him with you Lair, such as glowing eyes, redesigned armor, or a gaunt, skeletal appearance. This effect lasts until it is dismissed, until you take an extended rest, or until your champion dies.

Dungeon Master Powers
    Your powers are known as warps.

Level 1 At-Will Warps

Flame Spout Dungeon Master Attack 1
    A twist of your foot brings great gouts of flame bursting from the floor of your lair.
    At-Will * Labrynal, Implement, Fire, Lair
    Standard Action Area 2 squares within Lair
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier fire damage.
    Level 21: 2d6 + Wisdom modifier fire damage.
    Effect: Until the end of your next turn, any creature entering the affected squares takes your Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Draining Lure Dungeon Master Attack 1
    With a curl of your finger, the enemy is drawn ever deeper into you lair.
    At-Will * Labrynal, Implement, Psychic
    Standard Action Ranged 15
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier psychic damage and the enemy is pulled 1 square.
    Level 21: 2d6 + Wisdom modifier psychic damage.
    Special: This power can be used as a ranged basic attack.

Poison Barrage Dungeon Master Attack 1
    Thousands of poison-tipped needles bear down on your foes, bursting from the walls, ceiling, and floors.
    At-Will * Labrynal, Implement, Poison, Lair
    Standard Action Area burst 1 within Lair
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier poison damage.
    Level 21: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier poison damage.

Blade Pillar Dungeon Master Attack 1
    A spinning pillar of vicious blades rises from the floor.
    At-Will * Labrynal, Implement, Lair
    Standard Action Ranged
    Effect: You create a pillar of spinning blades. The pillar occupies 1 square and lasts until the end of your next turn. Each enemy that moves into a square adjacent to the pillar takes 1d6 + your Wisdom modifier damage.
    Level 21: 2d6 + Wisdom modifier damage.

Sliding Stones Dungeon Master Attack 1
    The ground within your lair shifts and rearranges…
    At-Will * Labrynal, Implement, Lair
    Standard Action Area Lair
    Target: Each creature in area
    Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage and the target is slid 1 square.

Level 1 Encounter Warps

Teleportation Sigil Dungeon Master Attack 1
    An eldritch symbol shines on the ground below the target.
    Encounter * Labrynal, Implement, Psychic
    Standard Action Ranged
    Target: One creature
    Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier psychic damage and the target is teleported to an unoccupied square within your lair.

Sliding Blade Dungeon Master Attack 1
    A curved blade arcs out from a seam in the ground.
    Encounter * Labrynal, Implement
    Standard Action Area wall 5 within Lair
    Target: Each creature in wall
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier damage, and the target is slid 1 square.

Raise Pillars Dungeon Master Attack 1
    The ground erupts upwards, forming into two great pillars.
    Standard Action Area two squares within Lair
    Target: Each creature in area
    Hit: 2d6 + Wisdom modifier damage, and the target is slid 1 square.
    Effect: The area is filled with a 4-square-high pillar. The pillar blocks line-of-sight, and provides cover as normal. It lasts until the Lair is dismissed.
    Worldweaver Modus: You create a number of low walls equal to your Intelligence modifier. These may be placed on the edge of any square in your Lair, and last until the Lair is dismissed. These low walls grant cover as normal, and moving over one costs 1 extra square of movement.

Assemble Horde Dungeon Master Attack 1
    A burst of labrynal energy washes across your Lair, searing your enemies, and forging your allies into an unstoppable horde.
    Encounter * Labrynal, Polymorph, Implement
    Standard Action Area Lair
    Target: Each enemy in Lair
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier damage.
    Effect: Each ally in burst gains a +2 power bonus to AC until the end of your next turn. Allies affected by this power take on some minor cosmetic change to link them to your Lair, such as glowing eyes, redesigned equipment, or altered skin color.
    Hordeleader Modus: The bonus to AC equals 1 + your Charisma modifier, and your Champion receives a +1 power bonus to his attack rolls.

Level 1 Daily Warps
    Acid Pool Dungeon Master Attack 1
    A patch of ground within your domain transforms into a bubbling pool of acid.
    Encounter * Labrynal, Implement, Acid, Zone
    Standard Action Area burst 1 in Lair.
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Fort
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier acid damage.
    Effect: The area in the burst sinks 1 square and fills with corrosive liquid, becoming a pool of acid. Any creature that enters the pool or starts its turn there is subject to another attack. The pool lasts until the Lair is dismissed.

Beginner’s Gauntlet Dungeon Master Attack 1
    A rush of labrynal energy sweeps out across your lair, damaging enemies, and laying out deadly hazards.
    Standard Action Area
    Lair
    Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier damage.
    Effect: You may designate 5 squares in your Lair. Any creature entering or beginning their turn in these squares takes your Wisdom modifier in damage. These squares may do either physical, Fire, Acid, Poison, or Cold damage, depending on the type of hazard created – select one damage type when you designate the square. This effect lasts until the Lair is dismissed.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    3.5 4 EVA!

Actually, last night we started a Dark Heresy 1-shot, since we were shorthanded. Pretty sweet stuff, we managed to take down a pretty badass dude who had a chainsword. None of us can use it yet, but I figure we can mount it on a vehicle or something.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Added to OP, DE?AD.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DE?AD, you gotta do the other 29 levels for that class.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He made one that was level 6 for our game, last Sunday.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm still working on it.

What's everyone think of the revision so far?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You definitely have a good thing going. Now that we've actually playtested it, the real work can begin.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    I got some pretty good ideas for Utility powers.

Also, I'm sticking to the idea of a Controller/Controller-Leader split, and keeping it so that all the big terrain-altering abilities are part of the Daily powers.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Githzerai: A Primer

I'm going to talk about Githzerai Language for a bit.

The Githzerai language is steeped in their history. Many of their idioms are direct references to people and events of the past:

The Githzerai word for "teacher" is Senzi's Reward, and refers to a certain Githzerai named Senzi who went out into the wildest soup of Limbo and practiced his skills alone for roughly 360 years, which is about a decade longer than most Githzerai live. At the end of this period, he was visited by Zerthimon himself, or possibly his shade. The parable illustrates the value of learning from an instructor instead of oneself, as Senzi learned more in one day from Zerthimon than in the 360 prior years, as well as the importance of proving oneself worthy of instruction.

There was a certain Githzerai named Melniak, who fought a shadow version of himself as a result of an unexpected flux of Chaos. He was initially bested, but then spent a long period of time in the chaos matter outside his home city, and was able to triumph over this shadow Melniak, who had not trained in this manner. Thus, when one is said to fight the Foe of Melniak, he is fighting himself. It is often remarked by Githzerai scholars that if Melniak had known Senzi's Reward, he would have won all the sooner: this is no doubt an example of the arid Githzerai humor.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shorty wrote: »
    Githzerai: A Primer

I'm going to talk about Githzerai Language for a bit.

The Githzerai language is steeped in their history. Many of their idioms are direct references to people and events of the past:

The Githzerai word for "teacher" is Senzi's Reward, and refers to a certain Githzerai named Senzi who went out into the wildest soup of Limbo and practiced his skills alone for roughly 360 years, which is about a decade longer than most Githzerai live. At the end of this period, he was visited by Zerthimon himself, or possibly his shade. The parable illustrates the value of learning from an instructor instead of oneself, as Senzi learned more in one day from Zerthimon than in the 360 prior years, as well as the importance of proving oneself worthy of instruction.

There was a certain Githzerai named Melniak, who fought a shadow version of himself as a result of an unexpected flux of Chaos. He was initially bested, but then spent a long period of time in the chaos matter outside his home city, and was able to triumph over this shadow Melniak, who had not trained in this manner. Thus, when one is said to fight the Foe of Melniak, he is fighting himself. It is often remarked by Githzerai scholars that if Melniak had known Senzi's Reward, he would have won all the sooner: this is no doubt an example of the arid Githzerai humor.

This is awesome.

You are awesome.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A language built around making sure people never live down any of the shit they do. Gotta be harsh.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
This discussion has been closed.