Options

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh god DX10 in lotro is so pretty..so very pretty.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    ydejin wrote: »
    I can craft any legendary item of my choosing.
    From what I could tell via Googling crafting level 65 legendary items requires a drop only available from raiding. Is that correct?

Crafting level 65 2nd ages requires a Symbol of Celebrimbor, which has a super low drop rate in Sammath Gul, the Mirkwood 6-man instance (one of my kinnies has run it about 30 times, and he's seen it drop twice), and I think is a guaranteed drop from the final boss in Dol Guldur, the 12-man.

You can craft level 65 3rd ages without it, but as most people wouldn't bother crafting a 3rd age, I suspect that's not what you meant.

Well, right now, the 4 chars I've made are:

Warden: Tinker
    Rune-keeper: Historian
    Champion: Armorer
    Hunter: Woodsman

To try and minimize altitis with crafting. Not super happy with that setup, to be honest. Are any of the crafts just absolutely mind bogglingly suited to a specific class? I know Woodsman and Hunter, for example, is kinda a given, as is Guardian and Metalsmith.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

To try and minimize altitis with crafting. Not super happy with that setup, to be honest. Are any of the crafts just absolutely mind bogglingly suited to a specific class? I know Woodsman and Hunter, for example, is kinda a given, as is Guardian and Metalsmith.

I found that it wasn't so much the match of the class to the profession, but the order you do them in. E.g., if you grind out metalsmith and tailoring on your first character, you can now provide armor to all of your characters, whereas had you done Woodsman first, you pretty much just have bows and staves and the odd melee weapon to offer.

For what it's worth, I think that either weaponsmith or scholar is better suited to a Hunter. Weaponsmiths make the crafted traps, and scholars make the oils, chants, and books.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I leveled scholar on my main, only now am I leveling woodworker and tailor. I'm also saving up to start levelling a jeweller. If I've got all those on max and kindred then I can provide my main (warden) with: armour, shields, 2A LIs for both slots, critted crafted jewellery, wood carvings for the class slot, scrolls, potions and hope tokens.

Which is pretty much all my character needs. Just need to convince one of the cooks in my kin to make the food out of the materials I provide them with.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I like my 9-man setup mentioned earlier in this thread, but apart from those two pairings, I'd say that the rest of the class/vocation pairings are pretty flexible, although I'd avoid making my Captain or Champion a Tailor, as they gain heavy at level 20. For that matter, if you're not going to have a Guardian, your Cap or Champ could be your Metalsmith.

BTW, all my Landroval guys are now at least level 18 (with 1 each at 19 and 20); time to push a few of them to 19 now that my headache seems to be fading...

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Glornt wrote: »

I like my 9-man setup mentioned earlier in this thread, but apart from those two pairings, I'd say that the rest of the class/vocation pairings are pretty flexible, although I'd avoid making my Captain or Champion a Tailor, as they gain heavy at level 20. For that matter, if you're not going to have a Guardian, your Cap or Champ could be your Metalsmith.

BTW, all my Landroval guys are now at least level 18 (with 1 each at 19 and 20); time to push a few of them to 19 now that my headache seems to be fading...

Does tailor really work that well for Warden? Am I just being stupid -- when I hear "tailor" I think "Robes and nothing else".

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Does tailor really work that well for Warden? Am I just being stupid -- when I hear "tailor" I think "Robes and nothing else".
    They also make medium armour.

I don't think it's very useful, you want to wear radiance gear anyway.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    They also make medium armour.

I don't think it's very useful, you want to wear radiance gear anyway.
    But while you're levelling, it's nice to be able to craft items that all your non-heavies can use, and even a few cloaks that can be upgrades to the random drops up to a point. I don't recall offhand if tailors make any additional doodads apart from armour slot items, though, which seems to be what extends the usefulness of some of the other crafting professions deeper into the game.

As far as it being appropriate for Wardens, in my case it was more or less by default; after having assigned smithing, woodworking, jewelcrafting, scholar, and cook to the classes that made sense to me, I was left with farming and tailoring to distribute among my Warden, Captain (heavy armour @ 20), and Burglar. I could've made my Burglar the Tailor and then given Farming to either Warden or Cap with the other being a second Explorer.

Simon's suggestions for Hunter make logical sense, but from a character standpoint, I still think Hunter and Woodworker go together (although I could've made my Hunter an Explorer for gathering, made Warden my Woodworker for spears and javelins, and given Tailoring to my Burglar), and with the shared storage (or a house), distributing crafted items or materials is so easy. My setup is based on having 9 characters and spreading the work out among them. If you're going to cover everything with a minimum number of characters, you've chosen the only configuration that does it with 4, and your distribution makes sense.

According to Lotro-Wiki, a character can belong to only one crafting guild at a time, and switching to another one causes you to lose recipes acquired via your previous guild. Unless this changed with SoM, you'd then need 7 characters to have continuing access to all the crafting guilds (no farmer's guild... yet), in which case there are a couple ways you could meet that. The most obvious way would be to have one of each vocation, and let your Yeoman be both Cook and Farmer. Jeweler, Scholar, and Metalsmith occur in only one vocation each, so once you've assigned those, it pretty much sets most of the rest -- Armsman for Weaponsmith and Woodsman for Woodworking, leaving Cook, Farmer, and Tailor.

I figure Explorer as Tailor, as that gives you both Forester and Prospector, and then you can fill in Cook and Farmer a couple of ways... either Yeoman to give both to one guy (this can be an inventory-buster, though), or a second Tinker as your Cook (to get more Prospecting) and let your Historian or Woodsman be your Farmer (probably the Woodsman, as he'll generally have fewer different crafting mats to carry). My current lineup contains no Yeomen -- my Cook is a second Tinker for collecting extra ore and gems, my Farmer is a second Woodsman for collecting extra wood, and my non-crafting Burglar is a second Explorer for all-purpose gathering; in addition to covering all of the professions with access to all guilds, I have 4 who can gather wood and 6 who can gather ores/gems.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, you've really thought this through. :o

Me for me I am not that interested in crafting, but it's a relaxing thing to do that might just net me nice rewards in the long run. I made my Minstrel a tinker now for jeweller's guild, he uses the mats from my weaponsmith who is leveling woodworker. She gets her wood from my explorer who is leveling tailor. She gets supplied by all other toons.

I got my Warden to supreme master scholar ages ago, so with him I'm done.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tailors also make RK satchels and Captain halberds/armaments. Burg symbols too, I think.

I also don't favor the Yeoman. If one sticks with the typical Hunter/Woodsman combo, you can port to MD for access to the fields there to do your farming. And I agree, being able to gather ore outweighs any other considerations in finding this balance. Not only is ore the only gathered material that sells worth anything (well, hides, but no profession needed there), only ore nodes drop mithril flakes.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tailors also make RK satchels and Captain halberds/armaments. Burg symbols too, I think.

I also don't favor the Yeoman. If one sticks with the typical Hunter/Woodsman combo, you can port to MD for access to the fields there to do your farming. And I agree, being able to gather ore outweighs any other considerations in finding this balance. Not only is ore the only gathered material that sells worth anything (well, hides, but no profession needed there), only ore nodes drop mithril flakes.
    Eh, a full stack of artisan Scholar stuff is worth a fortune.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    True, but it at least used to be that a solo run through GA netted you a couple of said full stacks (mostly off the undead). Which, I dare say, would take less time than gathering them through scholar nodes.

And flakes still don't drop from scholar nodes.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there anywhere to get a full array of level 65 Legendaries (equivalent to Dolven View for level 55 and 59 Legendaries)? I know I can get one of my class level 65 LIs at either via the Skirmish Legendary Vendor. The Mallendrim at the beach in Mirkwood and in the central keep in Mirkwood seem to have level 61 LIs to barter for. Anything higher available? There's not much at the auction house at this point.

Also does anyone know if there's any reason to keep Skirmish Campaign Marks around other than for Cosmetics?

ydejin on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there anywhere to get a full array of level 65 Legendaries (equivalent to Dolven View for level 55 and 59 Legendaries)? I know I can get one of my class level 65 LIs at either via the Skirmish Legendary Vendor. The Mallendrim at the beach in Mirkwood and in the central keep in Mirkwood seem to have level 61 LIs to barter for. Anything higher available? There's not much at the auction house at this point.

Mallendrim vendors in Gathbugz (sp?) have 63 LI's. I'm not sure, but you might need kindred rep to be able to buy them. I haven't found 65 LI's in any vendor other than skirmish vendors.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    JohanFlick wrote: »

Mallendrim vendors in Gathbugz (sp?) have 63 LI's. I'm not sure, but you might need kindred rep to be able to buy them. I haven't found 65 LI's in any vendor other than skirmish vendors.

Cool. I guess I just need to push a little further in. Everything further east than Emyn Lum seemed pretty hostile, and I seem to be just about out of Mirkwood Quests -- I've got one sending me into the Scuttledells, and the rest are just leftovers from Drownholt and Dourstocks, nothing left at Emyn Lum. I wasn't sure if there were any Mallendrim outposts further east. Does doing the Epic quest open up new regular questing? I haven't done that one either.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can access all quest hubs right away. There's a camp with quests in every zone. You've got a camp in the shadow of Dol Guldur and there's one south of there in the forest. And Gathburz (sp) in the North of course, but you go there for the epic quest anyway

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guys, what is a good place to get legendary class item trait scroll? I remember that there is a 3-mans in Eregion to get +defense trait, but I thought that Mirkwood or Lothrien elfs vendors had some scrolls like that. Does anyone know what vendors I'm thinking about? Or am I wrong (again)?

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's an awesome one you get for golden leaves (IIRC) at the Loth vendor. There's more for sale in Gathburz too. I still see people LFF'ing for Midnight Raid on my server, so I guess those scrolls are also wicked.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The best ones from Midnight Raid are melee D, Beleriand dmg and fire skills dmg.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn I need to fire up the game again, been busy with other things, should have a good week of rested exp to burn through.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My kin is weird with coordinating things. They tend to put up the sign ups for SG up in morning of the day they want to do it. :(

If I played for more than just a few stolen hours per week I'd probably go and look for another kin, I can imagine this is very annoying for people who want to raid.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aldo on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I knew Middle-Earth was missing something. That something turned out to be Radiohead.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My opinion on Warden legendary items

+++=awesome
    ++=ok-ish
    +=could be worse
    ---=useless shit

Warden legacies are bullocks.

For instances:

Weapon
    +++Spear toss range
    ++ WoS parry rating
    + EoB/WC threat up (I mean, it's not completely useless)
    + damage to Fierce Resolve
    + Onslaught damage
    + Mighty blow damage
    ---Everything else. Piercing Strike and Spear of Virtue are utterly useless and youre a fool if you use them for generating aggro.

Javelin
    +++ Conviction +healing
    +++ Restoration +healing
    +++ Dark before the Dawn +power restored
    +++ Celebration of Skill
    ++ ICPR of conservation
    ++ Safeguard +healing
    --- bugger everything else.

For solo play you don't need conviction that badly, but the +healing ones are still awesome, because you're never going to do dps and surviving fights against 6 mobs, elite masters and solo'ing Sword Halls is where it's at.

So basically:

Weapon
    +++Spear toss range
    ++ Onslaught damage
    ++ Mighty blow damage

Javeling
    +++ Restoration +healing
    +++ Dark before the Dawn +power restored
    +++ Celebration of Skill
    ++ ICPR of conservation
    ++ Safeguard +healing

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My opinion on Warden legendary items

I'd add the new Fierce Resolve Power Reduction to the useful melee weapon legendaries. Also, unless they changed it with SoM (which they might have), the Spear Toss Range only works for the "Javelin Toss" skill itself, not any other Javelin skills, which IMO makes it much less useful. I think you're going to get more damage in starting off the attack with an Ambush followed by a Wages of Fear, instead of gaining a bit of distance from the target, but not getting to Ambush.

I have to say I find the weapon legendaries fairly uninspiring. Some good stuff's available on the Javelin though. Right now I've got an old Level 59 Third Age which has:
    • Conviction Healing Bonus
    • Restoration Healing Bonus
    • Celebration of Skill Healing Bonus
    • Safeguard Healing Bonus

Along with a bunch of other less useful stuff. Given the fact that the new Legendaries generally only have two Tier A legecies on them, and my old guy has four of them, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to replace this guy, even though it doesn't have the DPS of a higher level javelin.

ydejin on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you are going to go the +safeguard healing route for javelin, it's probably good to pair it with the heal -power line as well. My current javelin has both, and with both said legacies maxed safeguard and celebration of skill have equal heal and power costs; so you can basically save 50 power and skip CoS altogether.

I can get captures of my current weapons up later, been too occupied lately to get any time in :/

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The javelin toss range increase is mostly useful for annoying pulls: it gives you a little bit more wiggling room to pull only what you wanted to pull and nothing else. Ambush is still godly, but it requires you to get rather close, which might lead to complications.

Safeguard is the least power effective heal we have (ok, impressive flourish (sh-fi) is less impressive, but who the hell uses that one anyway?), why would I want to max out two legacies (and lose about half the legacy points on a 3A weapon) to make it just as good as the next least power effective heal?

The -power cost legacy is all but useless, because it only saves power on the skill itself and not on its builders. We lose so much power because we have to first launch other skills (which are 38 power each (untraited)). The gambit itself can cost up to 100 power, but what is a 10% decrease in that? building a 5-gambit already costs ~190 power, the gambit itself is the cheap part. I mean, it's still 10 power per self-heal, but I'm not going to spend about 100 legacy points on it, there's other legacies and stat legacies that I'd rather increase.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    flammiebc wrote: »
    If you are going to go the +safeguard healing route for javelin, it's probably good to pair it with the heal -power line as well. My current javelin has both, and with both said legacies maxed safeguard and celebration of skill have equal heal and power costs; so you can basically save 50 power and skip CoS altogether.

Well that's certainly ideal. But with Resolution, Celebration of Skill, Conviction, and Power Safeguard Gambit in Tier A, it should be hard to find anything with more than two of these. With the rest filed in with various Tier B stuff.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Safeguard is the least power effective heal we have (ok, impressive flourish (sh-fi) is less impressive, but who the hell uses that one anyway?).

When I'm really in trouble, I'll stack all three -- Restoration, Celebration of Skill, and Safeguard. Usually that's a bad sign though, it means I'm in big trouble.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Safeguard is the least power effective heal we have (ok, impressive flourish (sh-fi) is less impressive, but who the hell uses that one anyway?).

When I'm really in trouble, I'll stack all three -- Restoration, Celebration of Skill, and Safeguard. Usually that's a bad sign though, it means I'm in big trouble.

Actually, if the masteries are up I just launch a conviction. With all the traits I've got in it it heals for more than CoS. It just costs a shitton of power.

The way I've got my UI set up I have
    spear=1
    shield=2
    fist=3
    launch gambit=4

my masteries are
    shift+1=sp+sh
    shift+2=sp+fi
    shift+3=sh+sp
    shift+4=sh+fi
    shift+5=fi+sp
    shift+6=fi+sh

So conviction is as easy as: shift+4--2--shift+6--4
    And Restoration is: shift+3--2--shift+1--4

There's no overlap between these skills, so I can launch them off very quickly.

Sometimes I try to explain to others why I just died within 10 seconds and I tell them I was a bit tired and hit a shift+3 instead of a shift+4 and everything went tits up from there because that also meant I couldn't immediately launch a self-heal after that. I don't think people who haven't played a high-lev warden can understand how difficult wardens can be compared to classes that just have 50 skills they can launch by clicking the button once.

It's like "quick! taunt them!" and I'm like "...ok...shift+5--3--oh no that one is on cooldown--1--3--4" and then it's waiting for the skill animation to complete. A guardian can just hit one button and voila he has taunted.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Actually, if the masteries are up I just launch a conviction. With all the traits I've got in it it heals for more than CoS. It just costs a shitton of power.

The way I've got my UI set up I have
    spear=1
    shield=2
    fist=3
    launch gambit=4

my masteries are
    shift+1=sp+sh
    shift+2=sp+fi
    shift+3=sh+sp
    shift+4=sh+fi
    shift+5=fi+sp
    shift+6=fi+sh

So conviction is as easy as: shift+4--2--shift+6--4
    And Restoration is: shift+3--2--shift+1--4

There's no overlap between these skills, so I can launch them off very quickly.

Sometimes I try to explain to others why I just died within 10 seconds and I tell them I was a bit tired and hit a shift+3 instead of a shift+4 and everything went tits up from there because that also meant I couldn't immediately launch a self-heal after that. I don't think people who haven't played a high-lev warden can understand how difficult wardens can be compared to classes that just have 50 skills they can launch by clicking the button once.

It's like "quick! taunt them!" and I'm like "...ok...shift+5--3--oh no that one is on cooldown--1--3--4" and then it's waiting for the skill animation to complete. A guardian can just hit one button and voila he has taunted.

You know, it never occurred to me that Conviction doesn't share builders with Restoration or Celebration of Skill. Very useful -- Thanks!

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's actually a lot you can do with masteries to make them go off faster. It does become a lot less power inefficient, but sometimes morale>power.

For Exultation of Battle I do shift 5--shift 4--shift 3, the last mastery only adds a shield to the gambit. That way I don't have to get in range and I don't have to wait for anything.

If I have a little bit of time, but can't get in range: I use the skill that deletes the latest builder from the gambit (Quick Recovery). For conviction that means I do shift 4--shift 3--Quick Recovery--shift 6. I did it a few times and it works, but I'm not as fast with it as I'm with building it the normal way. But for the last boss of Sword Halls or the 2nd boss of SG it's useful.

These are like advanced tactics, I didn't start using them until I started playing a bit more recently and got better at the basics. I think that if I wouldn't play for a week I'd have to practise a little to get back into it. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I decided not to do any hard Mirkwood instances until Turbine fix crit defence/healing bug. It's way too stressful. Tried to do BG with a pug, and we wiped 8 or 10 times on trash. No one was blaming minnie (this time), but there were few arguments about frevor champs. Overall, not too much fun.

Decided to get kindred with all the factions instead, and manged to get Thorin's Hall, Bree, Northdowns and Lone Lands. That leaves me with Forochel and Inn League. BTW. the Bree rep horse is ugly. It's so ugly, that it is actually kind of cute.....

I also found a group for Vol I book 13, that stayed together all the way to 1.14.1 The group was fun, even if the actual Epic story starts to get boring. I'm now stuck on 1.14.12 (or 1.14.9), but soon the white horse will be mine......

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tried to do BG with a pug...

Are people finally pugging BG then? Sure took long enough.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tried to do BG with a pug...

Are people finally pugging BG then? Sure took long enough.

It was mostly kin run, with about 5-7 puggers. But pugging that place is not a good idea. The way patrols move around and respawn, you need good organization. Unless the tanks notice all the randomly moving mobs, and grab aggro from squishies, it will not work. Also, whole raid has to run as a single group, or you wipe.

I'll leave that place for others. I'll try to get a group for SG, once they fix the stupid healing bug, but BG is not for me.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, the Tuesday patch should fix the crit def issue with healing.

More here.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, the Tuesday patch should fix the crit def issue with healing.

More here.

Finally! Healing bug fix, and a fix to legacy point costs shenanigans are long overdue.

If the patch will come on Tuesday, does anyone want to try SG this weekend..... :winky:

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's actually a lot you can do with masteries to make them go off faster. It does become a lot less power inefficient, but sometimes morale>power.

For Exultation of Battle I do shift 5--shift 4--shift 3, the last mastery only adds a shield to the gambit. That way I don't have to get in range and I don't have to wait for anything.

If I have a little bit of time, but can't get in range: I use the skill that deletes the latest builder from the gambit (Quick Recovery). For conviction that means I do shift 4--shift 3--Quick Recovery--shift 6. I did it a few times and it works, but I'm not as fast with it as I'm with building it the normal way. But for the last boss of Sword Halls or the 2nd boss of SG it's useful.

These are like advanced tactics, I didn't start using them until I started playing a bit more recently and got better at the basics. I think that if I wouldn't play for a week I'd have to practise a little to get back into it. D:

Alternatively, for a ranged EoB that only needs a single taunt at the beginning, you can do (taunt) [sp-sh] [fi-sh].

Good for midfight as you're running towards targets, and leaves shield masteries open for the fast conviction method aldo described above :) It's the conviction method most people recommend for kite tanking...not that I've kited much except maybe the fire snake in sword halls HM.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Finally! Healing bug fix, and a fix to legacy point costs shenanigans are long overdue.

If the patch will come on Tuesday, does anyone want to try SG this weekend..... :winky:
    I don't think a slight increase in healing done is going to make the instances easier all of a sudden. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't think a slight increase in healing done is going to make the instances easier all of a sudden. :P

You're probably right :? I just blamed all my failures on the bug, and will have no excuse now....

But seriously, the bug was not so bad for normal instances. I find it most annoying when trying to heal NPC in skirmishes, or some story instances for the Epic quest. I guess the NPC's have high crit defense (which makes sense), and my heals are very weak. Hope it will change now.

JohanFlick on
This discussion has been closed.