As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e] Eberron: Tears of Siberys (IC/OOC)

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, don't forget to pick a background, folks. A free +2 bonus to one skill is nothing to sneeze at.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    or getting a non-class skill into your class skills, for that matter!

streever on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BTW! Fie, you probably met with Beschami to hire "El Varitos."

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do you mind if I switch out my short sword for a dagger with the same enchantment, since we haven't started yet?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do whatever you want at this point, all good until you cast your first die.

If you are taking multiple identification papers, you'll need to nail those down by then as well. All the info as per the item description (name, appearance, vitals etc.)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tasty: I like the thought of Fie seeing Beschami as a very trust-worthy fellow, but thinking El Varitos is a bit of a pain, and not being sure why Beschami stuck him with him.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My ECG is waiting for me at home!

yesssssssssss

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FYI, I'm going to GenCon, so I won't be posting from the 12th through the 17th.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You're likely to be eaten by a grue.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aww... :cry:

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, I haven't finished my writing for this yet.

I ended up wasting most of this weekend on a stag party I wasn't informed of until short notice.

High speed go karts are win.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    stag parties are a perfectly acceptable excuse. A baby shower, would not be.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright, in the main writing processes and all. Delro will be gone this weekend, but he can catch up later as I will be writing him in as a hired guide that you can all meet up with as you head off to your destination, he will not be in the starting city with you.

So yeah, I expect to have the OP shortly and us sorting out enough to get en route just in time for delro to hop in.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Our adventure kicks off today, I'll have the intro post asap.

If people could check in that would be swell, I'll PM people to make sure they realize we've started if they don't today. :lol:

I'm going to have this be the IC and OOC thread. Once the intro post goes up, this thread will be IC. Use spoilers for OOC and rolls and such inline.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    checking IN! and so ready for some tearys of siberys

streever on
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woot! I'm here and alive.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alive!

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tears of Siberys
    Chapter One - The Eldeen Expedition

Morgrave University - Seventh day of Barrakas, 998 YK

Savilis Denlain, tenured researcher of arcane artifacts, stood precariously at the top of the ladder reaching for a tome. Leaning them one by one so that he may read the spine, the middle-aged man searched until he came across his quarry. Rows of shelving stretched the wall of this chamber, stacked three cases high, dense with books and cases and knick-knacks. Denlain's chamber was quite the organized mess, much like his attire. The deva waited impatiently for him to find whatever it was he was looking for.

Fie interrupted the man. "Savilis, what is so important that you're only getting it now?"

"Now now, I think you'll find this useful for what you'll be dealing with," came the retort. Moments later Denlain spotted it. "Ah! Dhakaani Worship and Religion, fourth edition." He tucked the book under his arm and started to shimmy down the steps, chained vials and keys and other doo-dads causing a racket as they clanged against the rails.

Fie just nodded. Savilis Denlain had been his mentor at Morgrave almost from the time he arrived. He had a hard time getting settled in, being a particularly odd one, but Denlain was fascinated by the opportunity to study a deva. Denlain made sure that Fie had the resources he needed in exchange for indulging his questions. They spent a fair amount of time together, and despite feeling like he was part of an ongoing research paper they had inevitably grown to know each other through the discussions.

Denlain was one of the few Fie felt he could trust, both in wisdom and as an ally.

"So this expedition you are sending me on, Savilis. Where am I going?"

Denlain handed Fie the textbook as he circled about his desk and took a seat. Sifting through a drawer he withdrew a map and placed it on the only empty clearing among the tools and papers. It was of the northwest areas of Khorvaire, with routes and notations in Denlain's handwriting.

"My scouts came across what appears to be as yet an inviolate ruin," he begins as he pulls a translucent film the size of a postcard out of the drawer. "Seemingly of Dhakaani origin and a temple of sorts. This is the final sight sent by one."

Taking the film in hand and holding it up against the light of a lantern, Fie sees the image of the aforementioned ruins. And in the extreme foreground, a clawed and deformed foot.

"It is not on any records so the claim is mine. I need you to check this out for me, Fie, I don't want any of the other researchers getting wind of this one." Denlain throws a pouch onto the desk and it clinks of coin. "Hire some adventurers, men with no ties to the university, with this. Set out to the ruins, and bring back what knowledge and artifacts you can to me."

Fie looked at Denlain intently, fingers tapping together. "Savilis, Savilis. If I am to understand correctly, you are asking me to be the first to set foot into a completely unexplored and ancient ruin." Before Denlain can respond, Fie breaks into a maniacal laugh. "And that idiot Cullen doesn't even know it exists! This is it, Savilis! Imagine how he'll look when I've returned and he has nothing!"

Fie's laugh echoes as Denlain smiles confidently.

Sharn - Tenth day of Barrakas, 998 YK

They were arranged to collect here at noon. Travel to Passage would be roughly a day and a half by lightning rail.

Fie waited, keeping an eye out for those he promised good pay. He hated waiting.
    This scene is intentionally left blank.

I leave it to you all to set the location and tone. You are at the place ostensibly agreed to with Fie when he hired you. This is the same place for all of you, but if Fie doesn't post first with the location then too bad for him! :) Go ahead and retcon your posts if this causes problems because you posted too late, I want to see what you guys come up with and I will roll with that.

You're heading to Passage by rail, unless you absolutely think you have a better plan. You are heading to an area in the Towering Woods that is about 100 miles northwest of Delethorn. I recommend rail to Passage and then how you proceed from there is up to you.

You will be meeting delro's nature guide in Passage or some such place, for now it is just the rest of you meeting up with Fie.

Let's see. If you need to roll, use Invisiblecastle. MW sheets are fine, if everyone can get sheets on Orokos.com though that would be preferred so that I can look up your powers and such easily. :^: I will be updating the OP with info asap.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie sits in the back of the tavern, devouring the thick textbook Denlain had given him. He had picked this spot to make sure that no one--especially not that damn dwarf--had any idea what was going on. Fascinating as the ancient book is, he can't hide his impatience in waiting for the mercenaries, and he takes off & puts back on his googles for the hundreth time...

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos surveys the tavern, looking for the one that 'Beschami' told him about, the gullible Deva. Standing at the entrance, he exhales the drag he'd just taken from his cigarette. The deva sticks out like a sore thumb, even hiding in the back of the tavern, and Varatos makes his way toward him, sitting innocuously at a nearby table.

Once seated, he crosses one leg over the other and puts his hat onto the table.

"Beschami told me to look for the shifty deva. That's you, right?" He says to Fie, without really looking him.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "What? Are you talking to me?" Fie narrows his eyes, making sure the goggles are on his face squarely, and staring intently at Varatos.
    "Well, yes, if you are from Beschami, we're all set, aren't we? The two of us, for now, though there will be more... were you followed? Did you see--perchance--a dwarf? Short & stupid, stocky & stoic, his name--" Fie suddenly realizes he's on the verge of yelling. "ah, but I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I get carried away. Well. We're waiting for the others. Please keep an eye out, if you will. I'm sure I'll get to know you on the lightning rail."

Fie flicks at his goggles, and a strange clicking noise is audible. If Varatos were to look at him now, he'd see that Fie's goggles have a cover which has shut, closing him off. The deva sits back & tries to collect himself, so that he can communicate better with the rest of the adventurers.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lo sighs as he approaches the tavern that Fie told him to meet at. He ducks into an alleyway briefly to change into Wil. Lo kind of hates being Wil, who is much more friendly and outgoing than he likes to be. But it is good cover for Fie. Working for Fie is never too bad. Danger generally comes at a minimum; Fie will ask him to acquire an item and not ask how he got it, or else have him act as a guard as he checks out a dig site.

Really, the worst part of any of his mission with Fie have been Fie himself, who Lo finds to be detached and boring, always going on about some artifact or scroll that Lo simply doesn't care about. Still, the Fie always pays (in advance) and as such is the most valuable kind of client. This payday was larger than most, so Lo is pretty pleased.

Lo enters the tavern and quickly sees Fie predictable pouring over a tome, seemingly discouraged that the man sitting at his table is distracting him from his reading. Bracing himself, he approaches Fie, grasps his hand, and embraces him.

"Fie, old friend how are you? It is always a pleasure to work with you, in fact you are one of my favorite people to work with. I hope you have an interesting place for us to go, and an equally interesting artifact to recover. Are you ready to go, or do you need to finish a conversation with your friend here? I am eager to set out."
    Fie neglected to tell Lo that there would be more people accompanying them on this quest, and Lo is under the impression that it will just be the two of them.

Remember, you guys don't know that Lo is a Changeling, or that he's named Lo. To you, he is Wil, a human

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For the changelings, it would be appreciated if we expand on that yes.

Be sure to have descriptions, everyone, and as far as I read it the changelings are both rather secretive about their nature with all and are posing as human?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos puts his hat on and lowers it in front of his eyes. He leans back in the chair, relaxing as he smokes. From his body language he's doing the exact opposite of what Fie has asked him. But he's actually paying some attention.

He listens as the other mercenary introduces himself, but says nothing for now.
    Not that it matters, as I have NO clue who else you hired. ;p

@dead: There's Beschami and Varatos. Varatos is the one that was hired through Beschami. Roe probably never show up.

I'm sitting at a table near Fie, not with him, btw.

Bluff (Pretending to not pay attention): 1d20+12 → [11,12] = (23)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Hello, yes, Wil, always a pleasure, yes. Please join the other gentleman. His name--I don't quite know it. I must have forgotten it. Please, introduce yourselves. I will be trying desperately to relax for the next few moments, until our final friend arrives. I trust that you two will alert me." Realizing he isn't quite sure he remembers what Wil just said, he holds up one finger. "Wait. Yes. We will leave when the last man has arrived. This is not our standard scientific expedition, I am afraid. If it isn't a problem for either of you, please prepare a short essay on what you know about Dhakaani religious customs while I stop thinking about that damn Dwarf."

Fie shuts his goggles again, becoming more obsessed & deranged over the Dwarf. Imagine how he'll feel when he opens his eyes & no one has written a single word!
    Fie is forgetful, so he'll let you know about the gnome when we get on the Lightning Rail. And I don't honestly expect any of you to do anything on dhakaani religious customs--he'll have forgotten about it by the time Bladecruiser arrives.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos exhales smoke and flicks his hand. As he does so, the smoke takes the shape of his name:
    Varatos.

It vanishes only seconds later.
    Prestidigitation~

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Cute trick," a waitress harps as she arrives to the table.

She sets down a mug of steaming black and looks to the newcomers.

"Can I get you two anything?"

She stands there, already tired of waiting. Human, a little on in her years, and wearing fairly simple clothes but with vibrant shocking hair. And lots of it.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Nothing for me, thank you," Lo says, waiving her off.

This is bad, he thinks, as he frowns. More people around means that he is more likely to be found out, which is something that he does not want to happen. It could ruin any chance of future work for Fie, and perhaps other clients. Not to mention--

"Oh no Fie, this is not good this is not good at all. I was under the impression that this journey would be just the two of us."

Lo turns to the other man at the table "Erm--not that it isn't a pleasure to meet you, Varatos was it? My name is Wil, by the way, very old friend of Fie here." He then turns back to Fie.

"It's just that, if this expedition requires four whole people, well, it seems that it will be significantly more dangerous than expected, and I really don't want to come back from this expedition dead. Is this going to be a dangerous trip? I mean I'd hate to run out on you if you truly need me here but..." Lo frowns again, this time a truly honest frown. He just made another realization. Usually Fie will take the artifact he is searching for and a few other seemingly worthless trinkets, leaving Lo with the balance of the treasure found in the dig.

"I mean, this also means my payment will be lower than expected, doesn't it? Treasure found split four ways rather than two? Unless this expedition promises to produce more finds than usual, I'm not sure I can afford this trip. Not that your initial payment was not generous of course! What exactly are we doing, and where are we going?"

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fie flips his googles open, adressing the waitress.

"My dear. Something stimulating. Something... yes. I'm going to need it." "Sir, this is yours." "Ah. Did I order this? Did one of these gentlemen? Oh well! I shall drink it. You have done well."

Turning to Wil--

"Wil. Of course. Fear. Hmmm. Wil I need to explain to you something. When you die, your mind will cease to function. Your body will falter. You will pass on to another existence, where you will enjoy an existence based on your choices in this world.

I will not. I will, instead, lose all of my work. All of my memories. All of my knowledge. I will be forced to live this insufferable existence all over again.

You must understand that as loathe as you are to die, I stand to lose a great deal more than you, and will take all precautions necessary to insure our mutual survival.

If it is money you are concerned with, and not your life, then you should know that there is more of it in this work than I have ever paid you before.

If it is simply knowledge you desire, I believe I can sate that wish when we are safely on the lightning rail. This is something that I do not want others to become aware of."

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "I know many tricks." Varatos replies to her. "Perhaps a bottle of your best? On my goggled friend, of course." He gestures towards Fie.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nodding and turning before Fie notices, which seems unlikely, the woman heads off in presumably a search for the 'best' they have to offer.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the patience in starting the game btw folks.

If you are using the CB to maintain your character, I suggest using my sheet page at http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/ and linking your page to me so I can put it in the OP. Makes things easy to update and super easy for me to look up your powers and such.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Seeing no way out, and not wanting to lose such a reliable client, Lo is resigned to go along. Plus, the promise of treasure is enticing. Though Fie's droning is already getting on his nerves.

He puts on a big, fake smile. "Ah, Fie, you know me too well. You know that I just cannot pass up the chance to learn more from you, the wisest man I know. If I must take the rail to hear what you have to say, then you know full well I will go along with you."
    1d20+15 → [8,15] = (23)
    Bluff for the fake smile to make it look genuine.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Clomp. Clomp. Clomp.

Matthias pushes open the door to the tavern and looks around at the occupants for a sign of the deva who hired him. His armor shines bright and sends reflections of sunlight in random directions into the room. He reaches up and adjusts the strap on his huge two-handed sword, making sure that it will come loose if he has need of it. His bright blue eyes scan each person, then finally settle on the group of people that includes the deva. Making a mental note of the others around his benefactor, Matthias strides into the room, letting the door close behind him.

His armor rattles as he makes his way towards the group. He takes his time, letting the current discussion continue so that he can possibly glean some information about the rest of the people. Catching the tail end of the chat, Matthias isn't quite sure what the conversation is concerning. He stomps up towards the table, waiting to catch the deva's attention, then once he is sure he notices him, he introduces himself.

"Matthias Velas, at your service." He gives a very slight bow, his armor clattering a little at the movement.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "And off, we go." Fie stands up brusquely, clapping his hands together. "Matthias Velas, is it. Yes. Of course. We must make haste for the lightning rail at once. If you see a dwarf--" he cuts himself off. "Regardless, we are off." Oddly, he sweeps the assorted things off the table and into a much too small bag, which he hangs on the odd harness he wears.

"Matthias, this is Wil, and the other--I can't recall his name. I don't know now. Regardless, we must leave. Gentlemen, please, hand me your essays on Dhakkani religious customs when we've gotten aboard the Rail. I look forward to seeing your insights."

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Pleased to meet you Velas! I knew Fie would not disappoint in choosing traveling companions. Though, I'm sorry Fie, but you have forgotten to give me something to write with so I could not complete my essay. Perhaps some time in the future. But for now, let us go."
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1035 for my character sheet

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Essay?" Fie asks himself, bewildered. ESSAY. He continues walking, not sure if there is any relevance to what he'd just heard.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Giving a curt nod to the others, Matthias takes a step back and readies himself to follow the deva when he heads out.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The assembled four quickly follow the deva, en route to the lightning rail station. Shortly after they leave, they hear the shrill voice of their server.

"Hey!"

Disappearing into the crowds, they arrive at the station soon after. The bustle of midday is high, with people of all race and status filling the streets about this area. The station itself is crowded, announcements of pending arrivals and departures filling the air now and again.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "yes yes yes! Everything--everything--is going according to plan. We are taking the Lightning Rail to Passage. Matthias, I know that I can count on you to arrange this. The tickets have been purchased by Morgrave University--here they are," he says, and they seem to almost magically appear from the straps and pockets on his odd harness. "Please go to the attendants and find out which platform we depart from, Matthias."

streever on