As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e] Eberron: Tears of Siberys (IC/OOC)

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    streever, make me a perception check.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fie is unusually perceptive today.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As they stand outside the station, Fie recognizes a dwarf coming along the street in the distance. Cullen!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Matthias nods once, taking the tickets in his hand and examines them quickly, then glances about him to see if he can find an attendant in view, or at the very least a map of the station. He keeps alert to the voices being piped out announcing the departures for anything similar to what's written on the tickets.
    I assume a perception roll is in order?

Perception check (1d20+3=5)

Hurdur, I has a teeckuts! T-T

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The crowd and voices all tangle into a mess in Matthias' head. Maybe he better just go inside and find an attendant, he convinces himself.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "You forgot to pay back there," Varatos says to Fie. "That… is not a good sign." he adds.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Matthias scratches his head as he stares around in disbelief at the noise. Sighing at his luck, he decides to just dive in and go into the station and look for signs and such to point him in the right direction.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Listen closely you two--first, I trust you both immensely. Secondly, who knows who that creature is? The one that goes by Matthias. He seems fine, but how can one know? I like him, and that worries me. Thirdly, THAT DAMNABLE DWARF IS HERE. You will carry this bag on the train."
    With that, Fie climbs into the small bag he's been carrying--and all that's left, is a small bag. "I mean it!" they hear his muffled voice yell out.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos looks at the bag. "Beschami…" he mutters to no one in particular.

Part of him says to just walk away now. The other part though, the one that heard about all the money and treasure this fool would pay out, disagrees. He picks up the bag and enters.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Ah, the famous Cullen! A pity Fie didn't introduce me, I would so like to meet him, I've heard so many stories about him.

"Varatos, where are you going? Velas has yet to return. I think if we move now he will be unable to find us, he seemed awfully confused when asked to go find our departure point. Let's wait here."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos sighs, and drops the bag onto the floor. "You are absolutely correct!"

"Let us wait here. Who is this Cullen fellow?" He asks, with the bag securely held between his feet.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Well, the way our fearless leader tells it, he's a terrible, conniving, dishonest sneakthief, always trying to steal ideas and research. I do not know if this is true, of course, I've never met the man. Best to let him think what he will, I suppose."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The dwarf passes by and seems to pay no attention to the two, or anyone else for that matter, not very mindful of his surroundings. Both wary of deception, they cannot in fact place any.

Alongside the building there is a small ruckus. A hippogriff bucks against its tethers as the handlers lead it, and it has knocked over several shipping crates spilling their contents. Heated words are exchanged but the rest of the crowd melts around the scene.

Matthias returns, having ascertained which gate they can expect their transportation, but finding Fie missing.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Back from Gen Con, and very tired. I'll post tomorrow. Right now, I'm picturing Reynaldo's job at this moment is to gather the group and make sure they don't miss the rail. I assume Master Denlain (or Fie?) has given me descriptions of the other characters (in the case of the changelings, ones matching the personas they were using when hired)?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You'll actually be meeting them in Passage, I intended to get through the lightning rail bit before you were back but I was too slow. :)

I don't think there is anything preventing us from retconning that into you meeting them at the station, although they are kinda already all set. If you don't mind missing out on the rail bit then we could leave things as is and you'll join up in Passage, up to you.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A rumpled & messy looking Fie crawls out of the bag. "Excellent work! Already I am grateful to travel with you. You have no idea the evil that man is capable of! Now let us board this train."

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    fyi, I have a full day service call out of town so I won't likely be able to update until tonight.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    EDIT:
    Infidel wrote: »
    You'll actually be meeting them in Passage, I intended to get through the lightning rail bit before you were back but I was too slow. :)

I don't think there is anything preventing us from retconning that into you meeting them at the station, although they are kinda already all set. If you don't mind missing out on the rail bit then we could leave things as is and you'll join up in Passage, up to you.

That's fine, I'll wait 'til Passage. Makes more sense anyways; perhaps I was doing the preliminary supply gathering and what not in preparation for the journey.

Edit: who hired me, exactly? Was it Fie or Denlain?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "I agree Fie, let's hop on board. It's been a while since I have traveled via rail. I hope you don't mind if I take a window seat!"
    As we board, roll perception to see if there is anyone extra sketchy (besides myself) in our car.
    1d20+7 → [11,7] = (18)

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Infidel wrote: »

That's fine, I'll wait 'til Passage. Makes more sense anyways; perhaps I was doing the preliminary supply gathering and what not in preparation for the journey.

Edit: who hired me, exactly? Was it Fie or Denlain?

Denlain organized the hired guide to meet them in Passage. You are technically hired by Morgrave University therefore, and are instructed to assist the deva researcher Fie and his team with their travels through the Eldeen Reaches.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Matthias. Don't take this the wrong way. You are... human, yes? Changelings run around being deceptive, one can never know, you know?" Fie asks as he enters the station to board.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos shakes his head.

"Beschami..." he mutters, as he moves to enter the train.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Hm? Yes, as far as I am aware, I am a human." He glances about him one last time to take a look for anything suspicious, then stomps into the rail car.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The four compose themselves and make way through the Terminus, proceeding to their designated railcar. Not first class but it's not like it was really expected. At the gate they encounter a human in a sharp Orien uniform, who with a bored and casual tone asks for your tickets and traveling papers. Stamping them with a glimmering mark of ink you are waved onto the trackside and towards your car.

rail.jpg

Roughly a dozen cars are linked, the engine at the head sparking intermittently as the bound elemental idles. The two cars towards the front are clearly the first class ones, and the rear is being loaded with cargo and people alike for those too poor or thrifty to pay for better. You all enter a car towards the middle, finding your seats as the car two-thirds full continues to crowd. The bench seating fits two side by side, a row of such benches along either side of the car. Rails and straps are above for securing luggage, as others are in the process of doing. The train is scheduled to depart within minutes.
    Despite the picture, it is still noon. :P I'll give you all a moment to settle in.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lo takes his seat, closest to the window. As the others settle in, he asks "Well Fie, now that we are safely away from your dwarf friend, can you let us know what exactly we will be doing on this expedition? I'm ever so excited to know what wondrous artifacts we seek, and what interesting place we will be visiting."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I changed my mind, I don't want to leave delro out of this.

Let's just retcon that he met up with the rest of you and is now boarding the train with everyone. We haven't even really had any IC that contradicts that or states that he's waiting for you anyways I think, just the lack of his presence.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    New rule, as I find Denada is right about how spoilers get real annoying when trying to review the thread. Put OOC in SlateGrey instead of spoilers.

Delro, the canon is now that you met up with the rest at the Terminus station outside just after Fie returned from the bag, they were waiting outside for you. Now you're all together and boarding.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Varatos sits somewhere close enough that he can overhear Fie, but far enough that if somebody else comes along for the naive Deva he can either distance himself, or get the first attack in.

He takes a nice slow puff from his cigarette, and then proceeds to make the smoke dance before him.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Welcome to our little party, Reynaldo. This is Wil, an old associate, and Matthias. Matthias is a human." Fie raises his eyebrow at the gnome, as if to say, or so he says. "I'm not sure what the other gentleman's name is, but he's a good sort."

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "My name," Varatos turns from his seat to look at Fie. "Is: Varatos. I shape the lies that are your reality," he blows a dagger right between Fie's eyes. The smoke shatters into nothingness as he turns back and resumes posturing as a badass longcoat.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "That is MOST impressive," Fie coos, starting to really watch Varatos now.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you haven't given me an image for your token, send me one or put it in a spoiler.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "I don't believe that Beschami explained explained to me properly your profession." Varatos says to Fie without turning to face him.
    Varatos.png

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "Ahh. I am a RESEARCHER, Varastor. A man of learning. Now that we are safely on the lightning rail and free of spies, I can share with you the purpose of our adventure together.

I am a member of Morgrave University. I seek to understand the entirety of the cosmos. IMPOSSIBLE you say. Certainly, for some. However, I can not die. I have left specific instructions with Morgrave to find me in the event of my death, if possible, and return me to the University, where my journals & research awaits me. So that, eventually, I may come to a complete understanding." Realizing that he's running a bit off-course, Fie checks himself. "Enough of that. As to our mission.

Recently, my mentor acquired certain knowledge--an ancient Dhakkani ruin has been discovered by his agents. No one else knows of it's existence currently.

Hence this team. Wil is able to help us get in. The gnome will help us get there, once we've arrived in Passage--it's a long journey and through a wild area. Matthias will protect us against enemies, and you--well, if you will explain how you do that thing--with the smoke--I will certainly be happy to have brought you along.

Are there any questions, or shall I resume studying the Dhakkani customs? There are certain to be horrible traps awaiting us that I should know more of."
    madsci.gif

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "And how much of this knowledge passes between these lives of yours, huh?" Varatos's reply is pleasant enough, and the rest of his reply is straight to the point. "You want something acquired. As my dear apprentice Beschami explained, I acquire things. I'll get you your tangible truths. You just be sure that I'm paid at the end. I'm no barmaid…"

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "That's an excellent question, Varastral, and I will certainly add it to my list of experiments. I'll have to set up a dying chamber at the university..."

Looking off into space, Fie remembers the rest of what Varatos had just said.

"Ah yes, artifacts! I knew I forgot something. Yes. There may be artifacts there. You will acquire them, of course, and we will give them to Denlain. Oh Denlain! He is a character. You will have to meet him, after. I do so enjoy our conversations..."

With that finished, he resumes studying his textbook, quietly laughing to himself--one can only assume he's recalling his good friend Denlain.

streever on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "He's been telling me about Denlain for years, but I still haven't met him. I would love to, though, and to find out if anything I've found for Fie over the years has turned out to be something important."
    Is a square portrait ok? No idea where to dig up a round one. Like I said, Wil is super generic looking, on purpose, so...
    classportrogue.png

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Matthias settled into his seat, choosing one near the back of the cabin to provide him with a decent view of the rest of the occupants without turning around or otherwise looking like he's trying to find something. Interlocking his fingers behind his head, he leans back and half-closes his eyes to give the appearance of resting. He scans the rest of the people around him, and takes note of where everyone in the group is sitting at.
    matthias-token.png

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The diminutive gnome clambered onto his seat, barely able to reach the baggage shelf above even while standing atop the plush cushion. Stowing his backpack and weapons overhead, he turns back around and kicks his legs out, landing seated with a soft thud, his legs dangling above the floor and a wide grin displayed on his face. "Ne'er been ta th' Eldeen proper afore! 'S excitin', ta be lookin' fer things what 'aven't been seen fer an age. Might e'en glance us some o' them Valenar critters on th' way t'rough!"
    At work, will get the image when I get home around 1am PST.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just wanted to let you guys know, I'm going to be out of town and without access for most of this weekend. If Matthias needs to do any actions or whatever, I trust you guys to do something suitable for him. I should be back home Monday, so I won't be gone all that long.

bladecruiser on