As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e] Eberron: Tears of Siberys (IC/OOC)

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    3clipse wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    cytorak wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    cytorak wrote: »
    Infidel, out of curiousity, have you given any thought as to what tier this game will be?

Unlikely to be 1st level I think, but definitely could be Heroic tier still.

The process is going to be: read fluff, think of awesome story for campaign riddled with tropes, figure out where it fits in level-wise, inform the thread!

Excellent. That's my only pet peeve about the games on here; most of them start at level 1: the most boring of all D&D 4E levels. :P

I can't think of many D&D editions where 1st level wasn't the most boring.

At least 4E at level 1 is better than 3E. 3E 1st level was like, fight 2 monsters, and then sleep because everyone had to expend all their powers, and the wizard dies.

Wait, levels 1 and 2 existed in 3e?

Sadly, yes, and I somehow always managed to play with DMs who insisted we started at level 1 until college, at which point I met DMs who wouldn't start below level 3.

Yeah, they really did do a good job making 1 playable though IMO. Having 4hp was pretty intolerable.

I've been pretty torn between wanting to submit a wild and storm sorcerer, but I think I'll go stormy:

Halfling Storm-Sorcerer
    Galvan Swiftdigit

Personality:
    Galvan nearly lives to reinforce the carefree and light-hearted stereotypes of Halflings, much to the chagrin of many of his former tribesmen. Although he is quick to make friends and happy to be around them, it's rare for him to stay anywhere longer than it takes him to scrape together enough funds to catch the first lightning rail out of town. It's also rare to see him angered since he seems quick to deflect personal conflict with a joke and a smile, but he becomes rudely sarcastic when pushed.

Background:
    Galvan was raised in the predominantly Halfling town of Gatherhold in the Talenta Plains with his tribe who had given up the traditional nomadic life-style for the relative comfort of life in the big town. Galvan grew accustomed to the conveniences this brought him, but always felt like he was being denied some part of his heritage. He frequently snuck out to experience the wildness of the plains, but always managed to get himself in some sort of trouble. After a particularly long disappearance, his family forbade him from these excursions and forced him into helping run the family inn. Although this did wonders for his interpersonal skills, the stories he heard from travelers eventually imparted him with a nearly insatiable wanderlust. After a year, he convinced a traveling merchant wizard to take him on as an apprentice, encouraging his budding arcane talents and taking him to some of the greatest cities in Khorvaire.

Unfortunately, he was quite oblivious to the unscrupulous nature of his mentor, and he was easily convinced into taking on dubious tasks which eventually led him into trouble with the law. After being released, he found himself alone and broke in Sharn. Another year has passed since then, and although there were tough times, he persevered and continued his travels. He is dedicated to seeing all the land that Khorvaire has to see.

Appearance:
    Galvan is small and lithe, even for a Halfling, with short sandy blonde hair. He tends to spend a lot of his spare coin on finer bright and loose-fitting clothing, hoping to get away from the drab and neutral colors of his homeland and the dark robes he was given to wear on his travels. He tries to keep most of his equipment and packs covered by elaborate sashes

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can one communicate with the Lightning Rail if one knows Elemental? (I assume a Deva could learn Elemental?)

streever on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bladecruiser - Matthias Velas, Human Fighter (Defender)
    cytorak - Verdant, Warforged Warden (Defender)
    Iron Weasel - Brand, Warforged Druid (Controller)
    Megazver - Inspector Morre, Invoker (Controller)
    streever - Fie, Deva Artificer (Leader)
    delroland - Reynaldo Santor, Gnome Ranger (Striker)
    3clipse - Baern Stonefist, Dwarf Ranger (Striker) / Tanir, Elf Avenger (Striker)
    Cleonicus - Thakakhad, Kalashtar Invoker (Controller)
    SuperRuper - Iapetus, Dragonborn Sorcerer (Striker)
    Jebu - Belix, Halfling Paladin (Defender)
    tastydonuts - Ziff Zoorander, ? (?)

That look right so far?

Alright, I guess my bard is just too METAL for Infidel :wink:
    Ill tool around with the builder and come up with something else... maybe Ill retool Khross from Sniperguy's game to have an eberron feel. That and maybe to keep an artificer clone war from happening.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The no bards wasn't a joke. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can roll it out as a controller or striker, btw. or both. the concept can be drive either class.

edit: rofl. yea. it's weird how people just post things anyway. one guy rolled an evil char for my game. it's almost like a challenge for no particular reason o_O

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can roll it out as a controller or striker, btw. or both. the concept can be drive either class.

Yeah, I'm just marking it down by name until you give me details! :P

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woo! I'm the only dragonborn! That's a first...

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah, I'm just marking it down by name until you give me details! :P

I dunno. it depends on the starting level and flavor of the game you're making! I guess we'll both find out the details this weekend when you post more details! HAH.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also: Really 3clipse? a birth with no father...what are you? Avenger Jesus?

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SuperRuper wrote: »

Yes.

If God was a dead Elf raised by radiant magic who then conceived a child with the help of a bunch of other dead elves.

Except instead of spreading the gospel of love and forgiveness, my character spreads the gospel of murder!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes.

If God was a dead Elf raised by radiant magic who then conceived a child with the help of a bunch of other dead elves.

Except instead of spreading the gospel of love and forgiveness, my character spreads the gospel of murder!

Everything you said was true in my book, I'm pretty sure that's how it actually went down too....IIRC

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yes.

Everything you said was true in my book, I'm pretty sure that's how it actually went down too....IIRC

Dude I want to go to your church, it sounds much more interesting than mine.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes.

Dude I want to go to your church, it sounds much more interesting than mine.

Oh.....it is.......it is....

We meet every other sunday, if it rains, and there was a full moon the night before. But don't tell anyone else, it's rather exclusive.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You missed my Shaman, first page.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm also gonna roll up an idea for an Elf airship pirate....I really like the idea of the airship pirate/privateers in Eberron

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Woops!

kuhlmeye - Fang Gol'ungoth, Longtooth Shifter Shaman (Leader)
    3clipse - Tanir, Elf Avenger (Striker)
    tastydonuts - Roe, Changeling ? (?)
    deadonthestreet - Lo, Changeling Rogue (Striker)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    havent read the EPG yet, im borrowing it from a friend today, and going to give it a good read through to come up with a sweet character description, but mechanically, im thinking dwarf lazcleric or eladrin spearlord.

i guess either way its a leader class. only bards are not permitted, right? clerics and lords and shamans are still fair game? or is there going to be heavy preference to artificers?

psolms on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Artificers may have an advantage due to being Eberron and all, but it's not a given.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think I'll set Roe aka Ziff as a wizard for now, inf. I can meet his concept line out of the box easier with that.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woops!

kuhlmeye - Fang Gol'ungoth, Longtooth Shifter Shaman (Leader)
    3clipse - Tanir, Elf Avenger (Striker)
    tastydonuts - Roe, Changeling ? (?)
    deadonthestreet - Lo, Changeling Rogue (Striker)
    I'd just like to say that I think "Reynaldo" is a splendid name for a gnome.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm also gonna roll up an idea for an Elf airship pirate....I really like the idea of the airship pirate/privateers in Eberron

Half-elves, fluffwise, are the penultimate skyship pilots, especially if they have the Mark of Storms.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alrighty, I think I got a character for ya, Inf.

I've never liked playing the usual run of the mill character classes. I've kept him legal, but if I could change anything, it'd be to flip the Nature skill to Religion or Streetwise since my concept of him is that he's never really left the city. He just talks to ghosts is all.

So here is Simon Brendivel a city slicker from Sharn who can talk to spirits (Shaman).

Portrait:
    P_changwiz.jpg

Personality and Background:
    Despite his aloof stature, Simon is whirlwind of inner thought. Growing up in the middle spires, he made a decent living as a private detective. His intuitive mind has helped solve more than one difficult case, especially when one can speak to a deceased victim, or talk to any number of the wandering spirits that provide an invisible overwatch of the streets. While using the spirits as an additional tool in his investigative kit, Simon always made a point to gather hard physical evidence because even spirits' minds can be as fallable as mortals.

During one investigation, events soured and Simon was captured by the Black Tongs, an up and coming crime organization with the usual MO: drugs, rackateering, prostitution, etc. After hours of beatings and torture, something... happened... in that cell. Simon doesnt remember much except that when he regained consciousness, he was free from his bindings and could stroll away from that abhorrent butcher shop.

Later, Simon learned that not only could he talk to spirits, but control them as well. Simon still works as an investigator, but much of the money anymore is spent on traveling to different towns to learn what he can about his condition.

Character Sheet: (Ill upload to Mythweaver's either friday or Saturday)
    Simon Brendivel, level 1
    Human, Shaman
    Companion Spirit: Stalker Spirit
    Background: Sharn (Streetwise class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 18, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 11.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
    HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +7, Nature +9, Streetwise +5, Insight +9, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana +2, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, Heal +4, History +2, Intimidate, Stealth, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    Human: Spirit Speaker
    Level 1: Staff Fighting

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Haunting Spirits
    Shaman at-will 1: Watcher's Strike
    Shaman encounter 1: Twin Panthers
    Shaman daily 1: Wrath of the Spirit World

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Quarterstaff, Adventurer's Kit, Identification Papers, with Portrait, Inquisitive's Kit, Dagger (3), Totem

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I updated my character's background.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    this thread was just an elaborate thought experiment.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm robbing your character hooks for campaign ideas mwuahahaha.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Us cool kids call them flags. 8-)

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright. I revised it a little, but I'm still using delicious concise wording.

Roe aka Beschami aka Varitas

Beschami is a traveling magician of some renown in his own head. He specializes in birthdays for noble brats. Or at least, that's his day job. He is also the primary contact and pitchman for Varitas. He's doesn't look like he's in the best of shape physically, but he has sharp and alert eyes.

Varitas is an aloof fellow who enjoys facilitating the transfer of ownership of truths. For world is merely a lie and only the relics and tombs of the past hold truths. Bending the the minds of those attached to the pliable present, he's a missionary on a mission of enlightenment for profit. Beschami is his apprentice. But the two are rarely seen together because Beschami is unworthy of his presence or something.

Roe is just a bored changeling that's curious to see how long he can pull this charade before people get wise to it.

I may ditch the dual wanding part though. More to come with more drafting or w/e.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So, is his father a fishmonger or something? Because I'm wondering why his name is "Fish Eggs". :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    random name generation

HIS NAME IS TIBBS NOW. THATS RIGHT, MISTER TIBBS.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll put in another character:

Sivcyp Orngix (artificer)
    kobold artificer, that is.

Sivcyp likes shiny things.

On Sivcyp's first patrol as a village adult, his party caught a gnome in the nearby area. During the small battle, Sivcyp saw the gnome making his armor and weapons shinier. The number of kobolds was too great for the gnome and he was captured. Sivcyp was the youngest adult in the village so the chieftain ordered him to guard the gnome while they decided what to do with him. During the night, the gnome introduced himself as Ku Flowercopter, and offered to teach Sivcyp how to make “shiny” things in exchange for his freedom. Sivcyp thought about it. He didn't see many shiny things in the town, and when the gnome offered Sivcyp his first “shiny” object, a well polished dagger, Sivcyp unlatched the cage, and ran into the mountains of Zilargo with the gnome.

Secretly, Ku was actually in the mountains looking to trap a kobold to see if he could train it to be an artificer. He wondered if those primitive humanoids could learn to do more than kill and steal "shiny" stuff. Ku secreted Sivcyp into his house in Forkvale and began the training.

Their training was going well, until one day Ku heard whispers in town about how he was harboring a kobold. In order to avoid trouble, Ku told Sivcyp to head to Trolanport to find Ku's friend Frug Dewdrip.

Frug was in a successful adventuring party that continuously brought back large amounts of treasure. Sivcyp saw all the treasure and wanted it. He begged to go along and help, but he was always denied because he would just get in the way. After being rejected enough times, Sivcyp decided to search for treasure on his own.

Sivcyp's first adventure, he tried to crush a goblin encampment by himself. Instead, he was almost killed when a goblin patrol caught him spying. Realizing that he couldn't adventure on his own, Sivcyp searched Trolanport for an adventuring crew that would let him join.

Character Sheet
    I won't be heart broken if this adventure company doesn't pick Sivcyp either :P

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How are you accepting players? On a rolling basis?

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I will be deciding on the players and posting soon now. The rest may get offered a shot if a replacement is needed.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I will be deciding on the players and posting soon now. The rest may get offered a shot if a replacement is needed.

I wait with baited breath and butterflies in my stomach :P

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Did the butterflies fall for the bait. Is that how they got in your stomach?

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    Did the butterflies fall for the bait. Is that how they got in your stomach?

Who told you my brilliant strategy????

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I tried it before, but I don't think the butterflies liked the copious amounts of rum that I used as bait.

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's like gym class all over again.

(I'm the kid who was always last pick)

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    We're going to decide the party by a quick game of dodgeball.

Go!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm throwing a ball at Iron Weasel, he was picked last anyway...

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'll just wait under the bleachers and tag the last person standing triumphantly in their "victory"

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png