As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

s1ckh4ndsb4ss & cloudeagle appreciation thread

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a left-handed person, I love all the Ringo fills, and pretty much all of them make a ton of sense to me just on sightread. I don't do too well with the fast tom hits (like, say, the very start of Day Tripper) and, for some reason, that long roll that comes up a lot in Come Together (BBBBBGBBBG)... I'm just not comfortable leading with either my left or right hand on it, not sure why. Looking at the notes it's a left hand start roll, so I just need to give it another go, I guess.

Everything else though, I'm just rolling in and, if not nailing it, I feel like "yeah, I could get this next time easily".

Oh, and after having done a bunch of vocal harmonies with a buddy... harmonizing is hard as fuck. I had my buddy doing the main vocal line and just tried to get as many double fabs as possible. Unless it was something really separate like "Twist and Shout", I'm struggling to get into one of the harmony lines without either switching to one of the other lines midphrase.

edit: picked songs from gamestop preorder:
    day in the life
    lovely rita
    fixing a hole

disappointed that sgt. pepper's reprise isn't available in the promotion, will want to have both otherwise it'll flow awkwardly to me

also narrowly skipped on she's leaving home -- that song always makes me tear up a bit

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    gold star'd here comes the sun voxtar yesterday (and again today!)

Song's just so fucking good.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wife and i got to the rooftop last night, and had to call it for exhaustion.

playing story mode, overall impressions are that it's great. i'm surprised i didn't know as many of the early songs as i did, and found myself wanting to get to late '67 early '68 really fast. i sorta wish there were more songs, but i understand profit as a motive. if they price the DLC as high as abbey road looks like it will be (which i'm getting anyways) that'll be a bit disappointing though, as I won't be getting a ton of it.

i'm not an expert player, i only recently moved up to hard from medium, but i've played the actual guitar for over 15 years, rock band continues to remind me that it's a game on occasion (this is ok, but frustrating). with the early game music, there were a couple chorded part rhythms that i just can't figure out. the guitar track gets buried in the screaming and what they want me to push bottons for doesn't jive with how i would actually play it on a guitar, and i miss notes.

there are a couple songs that are really frustrating (not remembering which at the moment, i'm just very glad i like the charts for "come together" and "here comes the sun") because the actual guitar part is arpeggiated chords, and the button pushes are chord - fill notes - chord that my brain, on a site read, just couldn't change gears to.

but really, great game. i wish my dad wasn't 2000 miles away, because he's the reason i'm a beatles fan, and i think this would be really interesting to play with him. and i look forward to being able to play this with more of the older family members rather than regular RB, because there aren't any scary metal songs that we have to try to avoid, and it's easier to get people to try it with material they're familiar with.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wife and i got to the rooftop last night, and had to call it for exhaustion.

playing story mode, overall impressions are that it's great. i'm surprised i didn't know as many of the early songs as i did, and found myself wanting to get to late '67 early '68 really fast. i sorta wish there were more songs, but i understand profit as a motive. if they price the DLC as high as abbey road looks like it will be (which i'm getting anyways) that'll be a bit disappointing though, as I won't be getting a ton of it.

i'm not an expert player, i only recently moved up to hard from medium, but i've played the actual guitar for over 15 years, rock band continues to remind me that it's a game on occasion (this is ok, but frustrating). with the early game music, there were a couple chorded part rhythms that i just can't figure out. the guitar track gets buried in the screaming and what they want me to push bottons for doesn't jive with how i would actually play it on a guitar, and i miss notes.

there are a couple songs that are really frustrating (not remembering which at the moment, i'm just very glad i like the charts for "come together" and "here comes the sun") because the actual guitar part is arpeggiated chords, and the button pushes are chord - fill notes - chord that my brain, on a site read, just couldn't change gears to.

but really, great game. i wish my dad wasn't 2000 miles away, because he's the reason i'm a beatles fan, and i think this would be really interesting to play with him. and i look forward to being able to play this with more of the older family members rather than regular RB, because there aren't any scary metal songs that we have to try to avoid, and it's easier to get people to try it with material they're familiar with.

What's the price going to be on Abbey Road? And yeah, I would have liked a bit more songs. I'm digging it so far, just because it's the damn beatles. But after playing GH5, I wish HX would have taken some thing neversoft has actually improved on.

Even though I can totally understand why they couldn't do it, I still hate that you can't have everyone playing Guitar, or drums, or what have you. I mean, I'm not asking to have for Lennon's on stage or anything, keep all that the same if you must, but let me play the way I want to. I really would have at least like to have seen the bass line added, to make bass not so boring sometimes.

Also, and this might be something I totally missed, but is there a way to skip songs when you create a setlist? I only saw 'new song', which takes me all the way back to the menu. Strange, as I could have sworn it was in RB2.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    No, you can't skip songs in RB2 setlists.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    from the OP, Abbey Road will be:

Release Date: October 20, 2009
    Pricing: $16.98 (or 1360 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album
    $1.99 (or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for individual tracks

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think he means Next Category when the songs are sorted, for instance, alphabetically. It's the yellow button, iirc.

Houndx on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You'll have to forgive the ignorance of an old man, but will there be any non-Beatles DLC songs released for RB:B? Will I have to purchase Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 5? And also, will the RB:B setup work with any of the previous Guitar Hero/Rock Band games?

I've never purchased a rhythm game before and I don't know anyone who has one.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »
    So, I got the game and I love it, but I have a question. It's about achievements, so I'll put it in spoilers just in case.
    I played through all the game, but I didn't get the Day Tripper achievement. I'm the only person in my band and I skipped the credits. Anything up here?

Don't skip the credits? I didn't... Popped up like it was supposed to.
    Kinda, you know, late to tell me that now. I went back and watched the credits, but nothing.

Sounds like you'll have to do it all over again. If 15 points is important, that is. All I know is that I got it without issue, though I think it popped up after finishing off the rooftop set and before the credits.

Um...encore? Or did you do that already?

That's odd.

I got it with the
    Passed The Audition
    at the same time after finishing the rooftop concert, but before the credits, so I don't think that would be it either.

Aoi on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You'll have to forgive the ignorance of an old man, but will there be any non-Beatles DLC songs released for RB:B? Will I have to purchase Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 5? And also, will the RB:B setup work with any of the previous Guitar Hero/Rock Band games?

It is a little confusing when jumping in at first, so don't feel bad. :P

Beatles Rock Band is the anomaly; the game doesn't work with any other non-Beatles songs, and you can't play any Beatles disc songs or DLC in RB1 or RB2. But all of the other Rock Band 1 and 2 stuff works interchangably. You can, however, use the Beatles-branded instruments fine to play RB1 and 2.

Did you get the Beatles Special Edition with all of the instruments? If you want to play RB2 or any of the DLC, all you'll need is the RB2 disc. You can also rent or borrow the RB1 disc and export almost all of those songs into your RB2 jukebox for only 5 bucks.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, when I kept restarting Octopus' Garden to get the achievement last night, I eventually got the Beatles to say "Take 50! heheh" sarcastically.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

It is a little confusing when jumping in at first, so don't feel bad. :P

Beatles Rock Band is the anomaly; the game doesn't work with any other non-Beatles songs, and you can't play any Beatles disc songs or DLC in RB1 or RB2. But all of the other Rock Band 1 and 2 stuff works interchangably. You can, however, use the Beatles-branded instruments fine to play RB1 and 2.

Did you get the Beatles Special Edition with all of the instruments? If you want to play RB2 or any of the DLC, all you'll need is the RB2 disc. You can also rent or borrow the RB1 disc and export almost all of those songs into your RB2 jukebox for only 5 bucks.

I guess that makes sense. I haven't actually purchased anything yet, I wanted to see what the best deal would be first. I was also kind of hoping they would use the harmony capabilities of RB:B in some non-Beatles songs with famous harmonies (Everly Brothers/Elliott Smith/The Byrds/Beach Boys etc.). If that was the case, it would be a no-brainer.

So right now I'm debating whether or not to get RB:B for the equipment and then buy Guitar Hero 5 or Rock Band 2 later, or just get Rock Band 2 and get Beatles once the price has gone down a bit.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Best deal would be to get the RB2 special edition box for $100 or less somewhere and then get the Beatles Rock Band.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Best deal would be to get the RB2 special edition box for $100 or less somewhere and then get the Beatles Rock Band.

Where do you find it this cheap? Everywhere I've gone has it for almost $200 after tax.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »

Yeah, this is the best bet right now. The RB2 equipment is worlds better than the RB1 stuff, and the Beatles equipment, while nice, is predominantly marked up in price for aesthetics and the Beatles branding. If you're brand-spanking new, the best course of action is probably:

1) RB2 set (with RB2 game, drumset, 1 mic and 1 guitar) for $100
    2) Beatles RB standalone software, $60 (it's apparently $40 at Microcenter if you have one in your area!)
    3) Second guitar: Some kind of GH game+guitar bundle if you want to get into GH as well, or just sell/trade the game to offset the cost.

Are you in the U.S.? I think GameStop and Best Buy both have the RB2 kit for $100 there.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You'll have to go in-store. All online outlets and stores with websites are listing RB2 Special Edition as $139 or higher. The under $100 price was a two-week thing which ended half a month ago, I think. When I swung by Best Buy yesterday, they had the RB2 bundles on the floor for $99.99 but they weren't listed on the website as such.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, I'll have to go look again at GameStop, but RB2 SE was marked at something like $179 last time I was there. The nice thing about this area, though, is that used guitars can be found on the cheap. Like, $10-15. So I think I'll just pick up RB2 SE if I can find it at the price you mentioned, snag an extra guitar and mic, and get the other games when I get tired of the songs on RB2.

Thanks!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or, if you're fine with the RB1 equipment, you can get that plus both games for $80 here. They used to throw in the AC/DC track set, too, but that appears to be gone.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting Gold Stars on "I Feel Fine", despite getting 100%.

I looked at the leaderboards and I'm #33 on the PlayStation Network on that particular songs.

Which means that 32 players, at max, on PSN have gotten Gold Stars. D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I was trying to play bass on expert last night and couldn't make it through "Boys" simply because it wore me out. The RB2 strat strum bar is so stiff that I couldn't do my "authentic" up-strum with my index finger because I would get tired from having to push it so hard. As a bass player IRL, I'm used to being able to touch or brush the string to get sound out of it and this controller makes me feel like I have to work for every note. Is there a way to make it softer or more sensitive? I feel like my left hand can keep up just fine but I'm gonna need Popeye arms to keep up on Expert. I also tried up-down strumming and while part of the problem was just being out of practice with that, I still felt like my arm got tired trying to keep up. I ended up just switch back to hard mode just so I could get through more songs before I had to go to bed. Hard on bass was much easier. The movement to different notes was there, but the sheer volume of notes was only about 1/4 of what you have to play on Expert.

If anything, I have new-found respect for Paul's bass skills on these songs.

e: Also I'm on the leaderboards but probably because I'm one of the few who have the game already. I wonder how long that will last.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting Gold Stars on "I Feel Fine", despite getting 100%.

I looked at the leaderboards and I'm #33 on the PlayStation Network on that particular songs.

Which means that 32 players, at max, on PSN have gotten Gold Stars. D:

Surprise! I said gold stars on some songs are hard to get. I think there are a total of five Beatlemania phrases in the entire song. The solo only gives a little over three thousand and screwing up once negates that quite easily.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, I am so happy - my last birthday present has arrived!!!! The postie didn't knock on the door loudly enough yesterday, so I was feeling sad, but today, whohoo!!!!

I can play drums (stick tucked under my watch on my left hand so I can hold it), guitar on lefty mode, and cos I know all the songs (cos I'm old) I can sing to them all.

This is the first game I've bought for myself to play on my PS3, and I'm soooooooooooooo excited. Lewie bailed part way through, though, so it looks like I'm on my own playing for a bit. I love that you've all made me into a geek (ish).

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love that you've all made me into a geek (ish).

One of us!! One of us!! One of us!! One of us!!

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

No the Beatles Rock Band is only Beatles songs. if you want to play songs by other artist then you will need to but Rock Band and Guitar Hero to play them. I would suggest starting with Rock Band 2 since it has the most content available for it. I would suggest the Stevie Ray Vaughn, and PAX track packs for it for Download. Also go out and pick up a Copy of the the AC/DC track pack too. Note: about Rock Band Track Pack dics. DO NOT BUY THEM USED! there is a download code in the box so you can download the tracks on the disc to Rock Band 2 and not have to put the disc in to play them. If it is used then the code has been used by someone and is useless to you.

Also after you pick up Rock Band 2 you can rent a copy of Rock Band 1 and import the tracks into Rock Band 2 for about $5. What will happen is when you put in Rock Band 1 the game will do an update and have an Export option. Use that and pay your 400 MS points ($5) and it will export all but 3 songs to Rock band 2. After that return it to the rental store. If not you can pick up a used copy of Rock Band 1 for about $15 at gamestop. (The note about track packs does not apply to Rock Band 1 since it does not have a download code and is applied buy an update)

Your Rock Band Beatles instruments will work with Rock Band 2, Rock Band 1, Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero Metalica, Guitar Hero Smash Hits, Guitar Hero 5 and Rock Revolution. They will not work with Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Guitar Hero 3 and Guitar Hero 2.

Hope this helps. and have fun!

EDIT: Waaay beaten. I picked up GHWT and been pretty happy with it but I also wanted to be able to play every rock out game there was. I kind of wish I picked up the RB2 pack now though as I have had to replace my guitar twice now and I hear the RB intratments hold up better.

You can get RB2SE at Best buy and Fry's for $100 so look there.

Artoria on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RB2 bundles are also $99 at gamestop.

I just bought the PS3 RB2 bundle and the Beatles game yesterday.

I had been debating it for awhile (I used to own RB on 360 til I got rid of my system), and Beatles finally convinced me.

oh, and randomly, the person who thought the Gamestop TV thing said Hey Jude was in the game, it didnt. They were talking about songs the Beatles have done, not songs that were in the game. The End was revealed as the last song sometime last week.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I love that you've all made me into a geek (ish).

One of us!! One of us!! One of us!! One of us!!

I forgot to add, I learnt to play real guitar from a Beatles song book, and get annoyed with rock band's stringless guitars!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To the guy having problems with the Day Tripper achievement: Were you connected to Live when you started and finished the story? I got it just fine, and I was connected when I started playing it, and then later when I took my 360 to a friend's to play, I made sure I was connected before playing the last song on the rooftop, and I got the achievement at the same time as the audition one.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got Day Tripper with my Xbox fully offline, brought downstairs to hook up to larger TV + proper sound system. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I still think they should add harmony support for regular Rock Band songs or else make them DLC if you have Beatles.

So many artists I like use harmonies. Sooooo many.

Can you imagine doing Queen songs with actual harmony parts?

Two words: Bohemian Rhapsody

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rumor is Rock Band 3 is more than likely going to inherit the song harmonization

which I guess if it did, Harmonix would start backporting harmonies to existing dlc

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Maybe they could make Elliott Smith -- Figure 8 available as a full album. Now I'm just dreaming.

I mean, if I had my way, Neutral Milk Hotel would be available.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Rumor is Rock Band 3 is more than likely going to inherit the song harmonization

which I guess if it did, Harmonix would start backporting harmonies to existing dlc

Ehhh, I don't know about that latter part. That takes us back to the "Harmonix should chart cymbal notes back into existing DLC" debate when RB2 was coming out. Though I could see it being built into some DLC releasing now or just recently, and having it enabled for when RB3 comes out.

Lunker on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Ehhh, I don't know about that latter part. That takes us back to the "Harmonix should chart cymbal notes back into existing DLC" debate when RB2 was coming out. Though I could see it being built into some DLC releasing now or just recently, and having it enabled for when RB3 comes out.

For all we know, we've been getting months worth of harmony supporting DLC. Keep in mind some pre-RB2 songs ended up with HOPO chords. Though I don't believe that had such a lead time as harmonies are likely to get.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would recommend when chosing between RB and GH that you look at the track list and make a decision from there. Rock Band may have the most content but I tend to gravitate more towards the GH side of the song selection. All in all after importing my GH stuff into GH5 I have 189 songs. Nothing like RB but I dont have country or other random crap in there.

PS I have fun with RB on Guitar but when I want to play Bass or the Drums I play GH.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    About RB3, if they are going to cut way back on making instruments and leave that to Activision, think they're gonna switch most of their resources to making drumsets or do a reverse GHWT and add support for five lane drumtracks?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    [...] but I dont have country or other random crap in there. [...]

Your opinion: It does nothing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well there's HOPO chords in RB1 songs too, because HOPO chords are automatically generated (unless charted as 'forced').

RB1 - HOPOs are automatically determined by the engine
    RB2 - HMX can chart forced HOPOs and forced strums, otherwise the engine still auto-generates HOPOs. HOPO chords also are auto generated, but can be forced just like normal HOPO notes. All DLC before RB2 came out and forced HOPO chords started showing up just get automated HOPO chords.

The RB1 engine simply ignores forced strums/hopos and hopo chords.

This isn't something silly like cymbal notes, harmonies would be actually adding something. Although in theory, they could just include the harmony vocal files on the RB3 disc and have the game 'patch' the file when you load them, since the vocal charts should be extremely small.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I can't wait for Rock Band: Neil Pert SE

498854742_6f09ffdc3d.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    [...] but I dont have country or other random crap in there. [...]

Your opinion: It does nothing.

That is why I stated he/she should look at the track list before deciding.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Another factor in your decision - at least in my experience is that RB tends to have simpler charts but expects you to nail them while GH has more skittle vomit charts at higher difficulties but has an immense HOPO window.

And GH is catching up, but RB still has better DLC support.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png