As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 boomerang controller?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Evander, what was it like working with Cary Elwes, Mandy Patkinson, and Wallace Shawn?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Me and Evander both have gigantic hands but we can never agree on the Duke

Duke is strongest one there is!

Evander on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    0_0

For a moment there I thought that was a fake mini controller. Fuck, you can crush skulls with those hands!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How is the dual shock bad? It's the same tried and true controller they've been using since PSX. It may not be as smooth as the 360 controller, but I like each of them.
    Asked and answered, but I can't resist. The entire DS3 unit is too small, the analog sticks are convex vice concave, the d-pad is where the left analog stick ought to be, the triggers suck, and the battery can't be replaced when it eventually wears out.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Personally, I wish Sony would finally drop the geometric shapes and simply use letters like Nintendo and Microsoft.

Yes, it is somewhat Anglo-centric, I suppose (I played Nintendo games well before I learned how to speak English, however). Yes, I know that each figure has 1 through 4 "sides". But saying "Square square square circle circle triangle circle cross cross circle square" is considerably less convenient than saying "A A A X X Y X X Y B".

I'm sure they're keeping it for trademark reasons, but it's still a pain. Controller is fine otherwise, so long as you're not using it for a FPS (or is that just me?).
    I just wish that MS and Nintendo could reach some accord and mutually decide whether B should be on the east point of the plus or the west. (Please, Nintendo, move your B to the east point).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Evander, what was it like working with Cary Elwes, Mandy Patkinson, and Wallace Shawn?

Patkinson?

You'd better show Mandy Patinkin some respect, man. He is a hell of a singer.

Evander on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goddamnit, I knew I got something wrong.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ohh ohh. Do a pic with you holding a GBA (the folding screen one).

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Ohh ohh. Do a pic with you holding a GBA (the folding screen one).

oddly enough, I have one right in front of me.

I'd do two handed, but I can't work my camera with my mouth.

Evander on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    I just wish that MS and Nintendo could reach some accord and mutually decide whether B should be on the east point of the plus or the west. (Please, Nintendo, move your B to the east point).

Why should nintendo be the one to change when they've been having it there decades longer

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    have a timer function? (you should have a timer function)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I'd do two handed, but I can't work my camera with my mouth.

That's what she said!

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Why should nintendo be the one to change when they've been having it there decades longer

Because it feels backwards. B should not be to the left of A. If you're going to use letters that are usually read left to right then A should be to the left of B and X should be to the left of Y. Just because Nintendo did it first does not mean that they did it right.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The new palm sized gameboy:

100_0893.jpg

And the shot you probably wanted more:

100_0894.jpg

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Because it feels backwards. B should not be to the left of A. If you're going to use letters that are usually read left to right then A should be to the left of B and X should be to the left of Y. Just because Nintendo did it first does not mean that they did it right.

I think it's that way because in Japan, people read from right to left, not left to right. Nintendo's a Japanese company, so I think most of the people they employ are Japanese.

In the land of Japan, I mean.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Good Christ that room is filthy.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I think it's that way because in Japan, people read from right to left, not left to right. Nintendo's a Japanese company, so I think most of the people they employ are Japanese.

In the land of Japan, I mean.

If they were using Japanese symbols then that would make sense, but even in Japan when they use English characters they read them left to right.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Good Christ that room is filthy.

yes it is.

that is what I get for putting my computer in a storage room

Evander on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Because it feels backwards. B should not be to the left of A.

I'm sorry, but that's BULLSHIT. B should be to the left of A. Because it always has been. Switching them around would not only be sacrilegious, it would be really confusing.

Of course, on the Wii remote, B is a trigger, anyway...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Because it feels backwards. B should not be to the left of A.

I'm sorry, but that's BULLSHIT. B should be to the left of A. Because it always has been. Switching them around would not only be sacrilegious, it would be really confusing.

Of course, on the Wii remote, B is a trigger, anyway...

I guess I am in the minority there, but I have thought it was backwards since the SNES. The Xbox got that one right.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Because it's easier to hold A then B than it is to hold B then A.

It makes sense because they're in order from the edge.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The triggers are mushy. The analog sticks are convex and too close together.

I like the analog sticks on the dualshock better. They're slightly taller and allow more precision. When you're holding a direction, those convex tops make hitting L3/R3 easier and they don't dig into your thumb.

Agreed on the positioning of the sticks, though. And the lousy triggers. When I finally get a PS3, I'll have to tear up a dualshock and make one of these.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually really love the positioning of the analog sticks on the DualShock (though I love the 360's as well for that shape of controller).

It's just more symmetrical and natural to me that way, especially when you're using both in conjunction. I remember playing Indigo Prophecy on a 360 controller really threw me off initially.

Also while the D-pad isn't used for most games, it's nice to have a good option waiting up there in the primary position for A) fighting and retro games and B) going through menus. When I'm going through menus in PS3 games, I instinctively switch to the D-pad without hesitation and I just find it to be a lot more precise than navigating menus using an analog stick on any system.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    B A makes sense when there's only two buttons - as Fyrewulff said, it's easier to do the Mario-running deal that way. When you switch to the four-button diamond formation, A B makes sense if you're going to make A the main "Yes" button (a la Xbox) and it's easiest to just jab the bottom button. I can see the SNES carrying over the B A formation though b/c it was coming from the NES.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just checked on wikipedia and it's not just the B that's to the left of the A. The Y is also to the left of the X. Generally, people expect x to be to the left of y. This is from years of high school arithmetic where students are taught about the x and y axis as part of the Cartesian coordinate system.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The new palm sized gameboy:

100_0893.jpg[img]And the shot you probably wanted more:[/img]100_0894.jpg[img][/img]

Nice! Now do one of you crushing some dice then showing them to Bond to intimidate him!

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I couldn't help thinking of this after seeing those pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSL4cmFW_GU

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I was going to ask if he crushes lobsters with his bare hands but I wasn't sure if anyone would get it.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm SUPPOSED to have man hands, though

because I'm a man

Evander on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are controllers that are more comfortable than the Dual Shock, like the Gamecube and Xbox, but I would never say that the Dual Shock is uncomfortable.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, now I want to see André hold some game controllers.. :(

How tall are you Evander?

On the topic of PS3 controllers, I always hated the placement of the analog sticks on the dualshock. I thought they were terrible and every time I use them for any length of time my left thumb hurts. Probably needless to say, but I've never owned a PS1,2, or 3. (Not necessarily because of this, but I'd never get used to it either) I also despise R3 and L3, but that's a whole different problem.

On A/B/X/Y, it does make sense to make A closest to the edge, where it's in a primary position since you will be hitting it most often. And since it started that way on the NES and then the SNES, it shouldn't change now. I don't know if MS could have made it in the same configuration though or if it's been trademarked by Nintendo.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just checked on wikipedia and it's not just the B that's to the left of the A. The Y is also to the left of the X. Generally, people expect x to be to the left of y. This is from years of high school arithmetic where students are taught about the x and y axis as part of the Cartesian coordinate system.

You're going to have to explain this to me, 'cause in my mind's eye I see the letter "X" to the right of "Y."

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited August 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »

You're going to have to explain this to me, 'cause in my mind's eye I see the letter "X" to the right of "Y."

Well, when you're giving the coordinates of a location, it's in (x,y) format. Like, if there's a point that's to the right three units and up one unit, you would give the coordinates (3,1). That's 3 on the x axis and 1 on the y axis.

I haven't been in high school for a number of years, but I believe that's how it works.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not going to lie, I really liked the idea of the batarang PS3 controller. It's certainly better then the sixaxis was.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How can you say it's better? Has anyone ever used it?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the idea of it is better then the idea of the sixaxis. sorry, i should have clarified.

i would have at least liked to try holding one.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Man, now I want to see André hold some game controllers.. :(

How tall are you Evander?

On the topic of PS3 controllers, I always hated the placement of the analog sticks on the dualshock. I thought they were terrible and every time I use them for any length of time my left thumb hurts. Probably needless to say, but I've never owned a PS1,2, or 3. (Not necessarily because of this, but I'd never get used to it either) I also despise R3 and L3, but that's a whole different problem.

On A/B/X/Y, it does make sense to make A closest to the edge, where it's in a primary position since you will be hitting it most often. And since it started that way on the NES and then the SNES, it shouldn't change now. I don't know if MS could have made it in the same configuration though or if it's been trademarked by Nintendo.

6'4" or 6'5" (it varies. You have a spine this long, and the normal compression that it undertakes during a day is more noticeable.)

I also wear size 15 shoes, and I have a 7' wingspan

Evander on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would like to sound smart and say that Nintendo assigns A to the button most intuitively used for jump but the SNES and Classic Controller mess with that theory. Suppose you could also say it is the main Action button. X is where it is because it is for eXtra stuff that never needs to be used quickly so it's placed on the most inconvenient button. B and Y are assigned to be beside the others no matter where they fall.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Although once again the SNES and CC fuck with me.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I also wear size 15 shoes, and I have a 7' wingspan

You can fly?!?!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options