As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 boomerang controller?

12345679»

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could play it with a brainwave reading baseball cap for all I care. All I know is that pretty much every FPS on the PS3 would be an instant buy for me if I didn't have to use that retarded controller which I will never be able to aim with no matter how much I practice.

I'm not really concerned with the online balance. For one, it's just not that important, it's a game. It doesn't exist in other games, like if you're playing street fighter online there are plenty of people out there with sticks doing things that people with controllers simply can't do (most people anyway, some people have robot thumb implants.) Also some people prefer the controller over the mouse/keyboard and if someone really is that concerned with the balance all he has to do is set up a table to put his mouse on, there are plenty of wireless options available.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I agree with you. I was just saying that balance is the usual standby answer for "why can't I play Halo 3 with KBaM?"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Because Halo sucks with KBaM and I actually play Halo 2 Vista with a controller because KBaM just does not work for it.

Halo 2 and 3 are just way too optimized for the controller to ever be fun with KBaM, but not like it stops people from using converters to play with them anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't played halo for more than like 2 hours but what made it suck with KBaM? It didn't seem very different than any other FPS when I played it.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can play Halo 2 on Heroic with no problems with a controller.

I struggle on Normal with KBaM.

Note that I play L4D, C&C Renegade, Counterstrike etc pretty well so it's not like I don't have experience with KBaM.

disclaimer: own both Xbox and PC versions of Halo 1 and 2

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But you also use legacy configuration man. Surely something in your motor/coordination centers of your brain is just messed up. :P

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't use Legacy with KBAM...

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    But you also use legacy configuration man. Surely something in your motor/coordination centers of your brain is just messed up. :P

Or you're like me (and Fyre too, I guess?), and were weaned on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and using the new layouts just cause you to run into walls?

I can use KBaM just fine on a PC.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Or you're like me (and Fyre too, I guess?), and were weaned on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and using the new layouts just cause you to run into walls?

I can use KBaM just fine on a PC.

Pretty much. You should not watch me try to play a game with default sticks. It gets ugly, fast.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nah, just busting your balls. I'm well aware you don't use that layout with kbam (barring the fact that it's impossible out of the box for a lot of games anyway).

I shouldn't make fun of it, though, considering my own propensity for bizarre control configurations that I kept and never bothered to unlearn.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nah, just busting your balls. I'm well aware you don't use that layout with kbam (barring the fact that it's impossible out of the box for a lot of games anyway).

I shouldn't make fun of it, though, considering my own propensity for bizarre control configurations that I kept and never bothered to unlearn.

If it makes you feel better, here's a bizarre configuration from my past: I learned to play Doom using a friend's copy that was set up to use the mouse. I did not realize the mouse was supposed to be involved, and also didn't know how to change the control scheme. For both Doom and Quake I controlled direction using the keyboard d-pad with my right hand, and fired by hitting the 0 button at the bottom of the keyboard number pad with my right pinkie. Sometimes one of my pinkie joints would lock, making the experience that much more special. Used my left hand for jumping, opening things, ducking, and switching weapons. I actually got to be shockingly good at Quake given my control scheme, though I often had my ass handed to me by people using the mouse.

Ultimately was forced to learn the mouse when Jedi Knight came out, but I probably spend 5 years with that as my FPS control scheme.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I swear, someone should make a rule that's just like the Godwin rule except specifically for KBaM vs controller discussions.

. . . Penguin's rule.

you heard it from me first!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I swear, someone should make a rule that's just like the Godwin rule except specifically for KBaM vs controller discussions.

. . . Penguin's rule.

you heard it from me first!

I don't think you really understand Godwin's Law.

All it is is that the longer a discussion gets, the more likely that Hitler and/or Nazis are to be brought up.

It doesn't mean that the discussion is over, or anything.

It is also technically true of any given potential topic. The longer a discussion, the more likely ANYTHING is to be brought up.

Evander on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My understanding of Godwin is that the longer a discussion goes on, the higher the chance of someone bringing hitler and/or Nazis.

My idea was the longer a video game discussion goes on, the higher the chance of someone bringing KBAM vs Controller up.

please explain what I didn't get.

Now that I've explained it, I've killed it forever. Thanks a lot.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Far too many people seem to think that Godwin means that a discussion is OVER when some one mentions Hitler. The structure of your post made me think that was what you meant for gamepad vs. kbam

Evander on